HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs sign Kessel to 8-year extension at $8M per

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 07:39 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
Phaneuf is not going to make 6.5, if that is the kind of money he is looking for Nonis has some great trade bait on his hands. We have overpaid him for the past two years in my opinion and extending him at that rate is just dumb cap management. I wouldn't pay him a cent over what Bowmeester got 5.4.
There's no chance Phaneuf takes a pay cut seeing as this will be his last chance to get a big contract.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:41 AM
leafs in five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk21 View Post
dumb cap management
Dave Nonis

Old
09-27-2013, 07:43 AM
leafs in five

although i disagree that Phaneuf is terribly overpaid if at all. i'm not the hugest fan of his but he's a legit no. 1 dman. it's hard to get those type guys for under 6 mil.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:42 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
So when you consistantly picked in the 5-10 bracket you couldn't identify talent that is a top 6 capable 2 way center player? You couldn't use your near limitless resources to hire a developmental staff capable of producing players?

Any player type in the second group (not the specific players they will never hit fa) that hit fa is a automatic go after. Instead you sign a 5+ million contract for 7 years to a player that "can drop the gloves", turnover the puck more than Todd Bertuzzi when he gets past the center line with a no look behind the back pass, and whose body will more than likely be broken down in 2-3 years due to playing style. Both buyouts are gone so good luck with that contract on the books.

You actually had money to improve this year. Granted fa wasn't loaded. But why did you spend all the cash on inferior options? Go after scuderi as a vet d. Maybe a bottom 6 center. Off the top of my head I have no idea what was available bottom 6 center wise but you splurged all the money on players that won't improve the team or its future outlook.
The team did get a bottom 6 center. I'd argue they got best one available they just did it via trade his name is dave Bolland.

You talked about no depth in a previous post. While that may be somewhat true on the back end. It is certinly NOT true at forward and especially on the wing.

JVR Bozak Kessel

Lupul Kadri Clarkson

Kuelmin Bolland Raymond

Orr McClement Macleran

That look like a team that lacks depth to you? because even as somebody that HATES Bozak and believe me I do that lineup especially when Clarkson comes back looks like a lineup with a good mix of speed skill and grit.

Lack of depth is also NOT a problem in net. Toronto has 2 very young VERY talented goalies in net in Bernier and Reimer and if/when an injury occurs Drew Macintyre looks like a very capable NHL backup.

I'm not saying we're the deepest team in the NHL but for you to say we have no depth is ******** it's simply NOT true

Old
09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
pspot

he hasn't ever actually scored 40+ goals
he's never won any league individual awards
he's never lead his team to any kind of legit success

yes he has the talent and potential to do all those things but you pay him long term as if he's already done all those things and I think its a mistake

he may achieve those and if he does, how long will he be able to maintain them?

winger is the least valuable position on the team and snipers don't usually have long term success

7 to 7.5 for 8 is more than fair

if he hits the market and a team overpays to get him there then that makes sense but as the incumbent and a team that is building around him that's the type of deal players make for the long term success of the team. i.e. Bergeron

Last edited by pspot: 09-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventyz78 View Post
Hawks management has already said they want kane and Toews to be hawks forever I believe it was one of the Wirtz that said it. For that to happen they will have to take less money plus they both really like Chicago.

If management said that, that means they're more likely to overpay. If the players had said that, you might actually have a point

Phil kessel isn't as good as perry getzlaf or Giroux so sorry he's not comparable to them.

Yes he is, the numbers don't lie, but haters do

Hers a fact for u The Leafs haven't win a playoff series since kessel has been a leaf.

You might have a point if it was an individual sport we're discussing

As for kessel living up To the hype? He had a courtesy invite to the all star game 2 years ago. Was invisible in the playoffs against Boston for all games except 3.

He was the best offensive player on the ice for both teams all series long

Fact Leafs leadership was apart of the worst collapse in a game 7 in history. That says something about your team.

OK so you do realize it's a team game

I don't even know why I bothered replying, you're motive is obvious.

Old
09-27-2013, 08:59 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
he hasn't ever actually scored 40+ goals
he's never won any league individual awards
he's never lead his team to any kind of legit success

yes he has the talent and potential to do all those things but you pay him long term as if he's already done all those things and I think its a mistake

he may achieve those and if he does, how long will he be able to maintain them?

winger is the least valuable position on the team and snipers don't usually have long term success

7 to 7.5 for 8 is more than fair

I would suggest to you backup goalie is the least valuable position

Old
09-27-2013, 09:05 AM
seventyz78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I don't even know why I bothered replying, you're motive is obvious.
Yes, your motive is obvious too u will only loom at stats and try to say player A is as good as player B. I'd say most NHL GMs would take Perry Getzlaf ad Giroux over Kessel any day.

I know that Leaf nation hasn't had a player remotely close to top 10 in scoring in a long time so it's like a revelation for your fan base and u want to make it seem he's as good as some of the other top players.

Mike Ribiero has finished top 10 in scoring......

U think I'm trolling so ill leave this topic alone I'm a Tampa Bay fan so I know my team won't be dumb and try and get kessel if he makes it to free agency. This is just my opinion and I think a lot of fans from other teams don't value Kessel as much as Leaf Nation.

IM glad that the bolts r in the Atlantic now and can't wait for the season. Hopefully for leaf Nation the Kessel situation works out for u guys because your franchise could use a break.

Cheers

Old
09-27-2013, 09:09 AM
pspot

and saying you don't think kessel is worth around 8 doesn't mean you are saying Kessel is a bad player.

He's still an elite scorer and top player in the league.

If he gets 8+ in Toronto he'll regret
obviously not in the sense of the money but living up to the expectations and even greater spotlight.

He'll have equally as much attention from the media but less support from the fan base.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Man im sick of you guys posting how winger is the least valuable position. Is that supposed to make Kessel any less good or any less valuable? The guy is a total dynamo and is a first liner on every team in the league. He went from being a guy who needed Marc Savard to set him up to being the heart and engine of the Leafs quite potent offense. He went from a one dimensional goal scorer to an all-around offensive threat that has matured and is now showing some serious, serious will and desire to win. Opposing defenses strategize around shutting him down. Guys follow his lead and he has the perfect personality to handle Toronto media--ie, "i dont think it really matters" is the response to any stupid dumb questions the rtarded media asks him instead of taking the bait. He is absolutely worth an 8x8 contract. If he wants to be here, he will sign.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:55 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
If I was Nonis I would trade Kessel. Whoever signs him long term will regret it. Toronto would be better off at trying too use the money to get a 1st line center that is a born leader that can play both ways.Kessel has skill but he's not the guy u build your franchise around.

6 mil a year is all I would give him. Anything more u can have him.

I know a team would/might give him more but they will regret it.

U can show me any stat u want but it won't change my opinion that Phil Kessel isn't a franchise player.

1. He has a personality of a pole.
2.he isn't a natural leader.
3.he disappears for 7-10 games at least twice in a season.
4. He doesn't hit.
6.he is a *****.
7. He is bad in hi zone.
What he's good at.
1.great skater
2.has a great low snap shot coming off boards.
3.natural goal scorer.

Again if I was a leaf fan I'd try and trade him for a number 1 C. Or let him walk and try and get one trough free agency.

History has shown u can't win lord Stanley without a top centre and Tyler bozak isn't even close to that.
Very easily said than done. 1C's that can lead and play two-way don't grow on trees and no team would let a Toews, E. Staal, Kopitar, etc. just walk away or trade them unless the return is a massive overpayment. Such an important position/player has to be drafted in today's NHL. To let Kessel walk in the remotest of hopes that they can lure a bona fide 1C UFA to play for them would be a disaster for the organization.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Very easily said than done. 1C's that can lead and play two-way don't grow on trees and no team would let a Toews, E. Staal, Kopitar, etc. just walk away or trade them unless the return is a massive overpayment. Such an important position/player has to be drafted in today's NHL. To let Kessel walk in the remotest of hopes that they can lure a bona fide 1C UFA to play for them would be a disaster for the organization.

This guy gets it.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:31 AM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
My name is veedubn1 and I endorse this message.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:48 AM
seventyz78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
This guy gets it.
I understand your point yes number 1 centers are tough to acquire but if Kessel is tip notch player skilled why not look at moving him to LA for mike Richards and something. He would be a player the leafs need.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I understand your point yes number 1 centers are tough to acquire but if Kessel is tip notch player skilled why not look at moving him to LA for mike Richards and something. He would be a player the leafs need.
Toronto may not do this because: Richards may have arguably "regressed" to a 2C role for good on account of his offense dropping off quite significantly from his Philly days. Not saying he cannot bounce back, but I'd think there'd be some question marks about his ability to don the 1C role again. He also plays a physical game for a smaller guy, which could potentially reduce his longevity. He's already had both his shoulders fixed and just recently had a concussion. That is a problem for someone signed through till 2020.

LA may not do this because: They like the 1-2 combo of Kopi and Richards down the middle with each player comfortable with their roles. Kessel's cap-hit would also be around $2M more than Richards' $5.75M and for a team that has Doughty, Kopitar, Brown (starting 2014-15), and Carter already taking a big bite out of their cap-space, it might not be the best option. Also, Kessel may not be a fit under Sutter's system that relies on strong two-way play all through their lines.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Man im sick of you guys posting how winger is the least valuable position. Is that supposed to make Kessel any less good or any less valuable? The guy is a total dynamo and is a first liner on every team in the league. He went from being a guy who needed Marc Savard to set him up to being the heart and engine of the Leafs quite potent offense. He went from a one dimensional goal scorer to an all-around offensive threat that has matured and is now showing some serious, serious will and desire to win. Opposing defenses strategize around shutting him down. Guys follow his lead and he has the perfect personality to handle Toronto media--ie, "i dont think it really matters" is the response to any stupid dumb questions the rtarded media asks him instead of taking the bait. He is absolutely worth an 8x8 contract. If he wants to be here, he will sign.
As a Flyers fan, I agree with you. Isn't Ovie a winger? Kane? Perry? St.Louis? Prime Jagr?

These guys all get more credit than Phil ever does.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Sakic19Duchene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
As a Flyers fan, I agree with you. Isn't Ovie a winger? Kane? Perry? St.Louis? Prime Jagr?

Maybe because he hasn't done anything to deserve as much credit as those players.

Old
09-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

6-8 years 7.5-8 mill per year

Last edited by Buckets and Gloves: 09-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old
09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19Duchene9 View Post
Maybe because he hasn't done anything to deserve as much credit as those players.
Except put up more points in the past two years than any of them (tied with St Louis but I digress)...without having a player like Stamkos on his line.

But you're right, absolutely nothing.

Oh he's also scored the same amount of goals as Ovechkin in the past three seasons, just without a center like Backstrom or even Ribeiro...and put up only 6 less points.

Still nothing though.

Oh, he's scored at a better GPG pace than Perry has over the past FIVE seasons...and did it without a certain player named Ryan Getzlaf.

Still not doing anything worth getting credit over them...

Has more points and goals than Kane does in the past three seasons...and has done it with inferior teammates in every season.

Wingers man...they're all just worthless. Kessel the worst of them all. Something to do with being a better statistical offensive player I think. It must be like golf I guess. Bigger numbers are worse...

Old
09-27-2013, 01:41 PM
HABS win CUPS*

you have to figure a player like Kessel wants to win a cup at some point hence he will be vamoosing

Old
09-27-2013, 01:49 PM
varano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
you have to figure a player like Kessel wants to win a cup at some point hence he will be vamoosing

If the leafs have a good run this year then he will
Resign. If not then hell take off to whichever
Team will be stupid enough to pay him Crosby money
Due to the cap going up

Old
09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Nonis has shown some unBurke-like spending restraint so he might be able to get him around the $6.5m he's worth but that's a tough job with Dollar Phil.

Old
09-27-2013, 02:09 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Nonis has shown some unBurke-like spending restraint so he might be able to get him around the $6.5m he's worth but that's a tough job with Dollar Phil.
Is that a joke?

Old
09-27-2013, 03:58 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Except put up more points in the past two years than any of them (tied with St Louis but I digress)...without having a player like Stamkos on his line.

But you're right, absolutely nothing.

Oh he's also scored the same amount of goals as Ovechkin in the past three seasons, just without a center like Backstrom or even Ribeiro...and put up only 6 less points.

Still nothing though.

Oh, he's scored at a better GPG pace than Perry has over the past FIVE seasons...and did it without a certain player named Ryan Getzlaf.

Still not doing anything worth getting credit over them...

Has more points and goals than Kane does in the past three seasons...and has done it with inferior teammates in every season.

Wingers man...they're all just worthless. Kessel the worst of them all. Something to do with being a better statistical offensive player I think. It must be like golf I guess. Bigger numbers are worse...
WIN. He has to win.

Old
09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
WIN. He has to win.
Thats right, everyone knows if youre not one of the 23 players per season to win the cup, youre completely useless and will never get praise or recognition for anything.

Closed Thread