HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2014, 09:09 PM
MattM92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
From my understanding, Koekkoek has had a very solid year with the Spitfires this season and broke out offensively.
Well, he made the OHL all-star team despite missing time with an injury. His shoulder held up fine after the surgery and there's no reason to believe the same won't happen this time.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:10 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
Trying to work on my mock draft here and could use some help..

In my eyes the Lightning should either grab a defenceman or a grittier forward..

Is this the opinion of most Lightning fans?

if so who out of the following players would fit in best to the Bolts system.

Larkin, Kempe, Lemieux, Kamenev, McKeown, Sanheim, DeAngelo (please don't say DeAngelo)

Also if Barbashev is still available does Yzerman take him because he's BPA?
Yzerman will go BPA regardless. If ever we questioned that, it was answered when they selected Drouin over Jones despite needing D. But Barbashev is actually a guy I can see us moving up to get if he's still available around 15 (and the other team is willing). I think Yzerman has magical dreams about him.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Talking to a friend of mine who watched a lot of Slater this season he recons he could have the highest ceiling of all defenseman drafted in 2012. In his eyes the only reason he hasn't made it to the NHL yet is purely because of the games lost to injuries. He fully expects him to eat a lot of minutes at the NHL level. His favorite thing about Slater is that he's always the hardest working guy on the ice and never takes a shift off.
These are great assessments. Koekkoek will surprise a lot of you when the injuries stop. It has always seemed to be his shoulders, and Yzerman and Co. were not happy with the shoulder repairs before the one last season. I expect Slater to come back with two good shoulders and spend some time with the big boys next year.

He's such a phenomenal skater.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Telling you, if you sour on Koekkoek, hes going to prove you wrong in a huge way.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Kramerica Industries

Anyone who sours on a name like Koekkoek is someone who is better off just quitting the hockey fan experience altogether.

Anyone who sours on a name like Koekkoek is someone who is better off just quitting the hockey fan experience altogether.

Old
05-15-2014, 12:36 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post

Is there a reason you have the same thing twice? I must be missing something

Old
05-15-2014, 12:45 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Telling you, if you sour on Koekkoek, hes going to prove you wrong in a huge way.
Well, the man is a Cocoa Puffs commercial waiting to happen.

Old
05-15-2014, 04:25 AM
Stamper

Being sour on Koekkoek is like being sour on Hedman couple years ago because he didn't become what he is now faster than he did. Koekkoek is what, 21? Niklas ****** Lidström was trash until his late twenties

I'm confident enough to say that Slater will have a better career, and higher ceiling, than Ekblad, as long as his shoulders give him a shot at the NHL.

Old
05-15-2014, 04:31 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper View Post
Being sour on Koekkoek is like being sour on Hedman couple years ago because he didn't become what he is now faster than he did. Koekkoek is what, 21? Niklas ****** Lidström was trash until his late twenties

I'm confident enough to say that Slater will have a better career, and higher ceiling, than Ekblad, as long as his shoulders give him a shot at the NHL.
I don't even know what to say to that.

Lidstrom wasn't winning Norris trophies, but he was far, far, far from "trash" in his early and mid-twenties.

Old
05-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
I don't even know what to say to that.

Lidstrom wasn't winning Norris trophies, but he was far, far, far from "trash" in his early and mid-twenties.
'Trash' being compared to what he became later.... He was a good 4th D early in his career, but nothing indicated that he would become a perennial Norris winner

Old
05-15-2014, 04:45 AM
DFC

Quote:
'Trash' being compared to what he became later.... He was a good 4th D early in his career, but nothing indicated that he would become a perennial Norris winner
Well, the fact that he was nominated something like 6 times before he ever won was a pretty good indicator, and that he was runner up for the Calder. Lidstrom was probably Detroit's best defenseman when they had Paul Coffey on the team, and that was somewhere around '94 when Coffey was still a monster scorer. Lidstrom was a great defenseman in his early career, and transitioned into an All-Time Great, a top-5 ever guy.

Old
05-15-2014, 04:49 AM
Callum
Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
These are great assessments. Koekkoek will surprise a lot of you when the injuries stop. It has always seemed to be his shoulders, and Yzerman and Co. were not happy with the shoulder repairs before the one last season. I expect Slater to come back with two good shoulders and spend some time with the big boys next year.

He's such a phenomenal skater.
His skating is his biggest strength for sure, all signs are pointing to him eating some big minutes for the Lightning in the near future. I think it might have been Craig Button who said in his Slaters draft year that he projects to be a 25 + minute guy.

Old
05-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Stamper

Quote:
Well, the fact that he was nominated something like 6 times before he ever won was a pretty good indicator, and that he was runner up for the Calder. Lidstrom was probably Detroit's best defenseman when they had Paul Coffey on the team, and that was somewhere around '94 when Coffey was still a monster scorer. Lidstrom was a great defenseman in his early career, and transitioned into an All-Time Great, a top-5 ever guy.
Did I ever say he didn't become great? The fact I stated was that when Lidstrom began his career, no one predicted him to win even a single Norris, even thought he did have the tools to become a great defenseman.

I tried to point out with this, granted overexaggerated , statement about Lidas that you can't be sour or write off a prospect that has all the tools, doesn't have known motivational problems, and is a phenomenal skater which has already been mentioned here, based on the fact that 'everybody else drafted that year are already contributing'

Old
05-15-2014, 07:56 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
His skating is his biggest strength for sure, all signs are pointing to him eating some big minutes for the Lightning in the near future. I think it might have been Craig Button who said in his Slaters draft year that he projects to be a 25 + minute guy.
If he wants to be a 25+ guy it's not happening with us, I'm not even sure Hedman hit 25 in any non OT regular season game. I like Cooper keeping the guys fresh.

Everyone talks about how amazing Maatta is but Koekkoek is better then him in all aspects of the game. Dumba is a mess on the ice, Pouliot is an offensive force but might be a defensive mess like Letang, Ceci doesn't have top pair upside. Murray and Trouba are a tier above him but a healthy Koekkoek at the top of his game is almost on par with the two.

Old
05-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Kramerica Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Is there a reason you have the same thing twice? I must be missing something
in case you're legitimately asking that question...

Koekkoek is just a phenomenal surname. I have never seen a name in my life where the first four letters (or anything like that, really) repeated itself identically for the next four (and last four) letters of the name.

It has to be the best surname I've ever seen by a country mile. Repeating the content in that post was just a little joke brought on by that name.

Old
05-15-2014, 10:12 AM
DFC

Quote:
Did I ever say he didn't become great? The fact I stated was that when Lidstrom began his career, no one predicted him to win even a single Norris, even thought he did have the tools to become a great defenseman.

I tried to point out with this, granted overexaggerated , statement about Lidas that you can't be sour or write off a prospect that has all the tools, doesn't have known motivational problems, and is a phenomenal skater which has already been mentioned here, based on the fact that 'everybody else drafted that year are already contributing'
That's actually not even close to what you stated. What you said was:

Quote:
Niklas ****** Lidström was trash until his late twenties.
And:

Quote:
He was a good 4th D early in his career, but nothing indicated that he would become a perennial Norris winner
Both of which are a hell of a lot more than an exaggeration.

Lidstrom was on the Norris radar by the time he was 25. Before that, he was at least Detroit's #2 from almost the time he stepped into the league, and that's only because he had Paul freakin Coffey ahead of him. He was quiet, yes, but incredible all the same.

I get what you're trying to say about Koekkoek, and I agree with you, but man, you can't just make stuff up to support the argument. You called Nick Lidstrom "trash" before his late twenties and "a good 4th D early in his career." That's just so false that it's way, way, way beyond exaggeration territory. It's pretty much impossible to compare what Koekkoek's going through to anything about Nick Lidstrom's career.

Old
05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Talking to a friend of mine who watched a lot of Slater this season he recons he could have the highest ceiling of all defenseman drafted in 2012. In his eyes the only reason he hasn't made it to the NHL yet is purely because of the games lost to injuries. He fully expects him to eat a lot of minutes at the NHL level. His favorite thing about Slater is that he's always the hardest working guy on the ice and never takes a shift off.
Cheers for the update! Not sure how the other poster can call Koekkoek a failure or disappointment at this point already, in seeing that he just had a really good year with the Spitfires. Sure, he hasn't had a meteoric rise in his development like Trouba has, but not many defense prospects do at such a young age.

Old
05-15-2014, 10:50 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I'd be very surprised if Barbashev was still available at 21 and would be thrilled if we could get him there. His offensive instincts, skills and smooth skating are exactly what you'd expect from a Russian, but it's his defensive responsibility and edge that make him more complete and gets me excited.

Old
05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
newham89

Quote:

I'd be very surprised if Barbashev was still available at 21 and would be thrilled if we could get him there. His offensive instincts, skills and smooth skating are exactly what you'd expect from a Russian, but it's his defensive responsibility and edge that make him more complete and gets me excited.
With Boston and Pittsburgh both losing, we draft at #19 now don't we?

EDIT: #18 - forgot Montreal will pick above us now too!

Last edited by newham89: 05-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old
05-15-2014, 11:20 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Agreed, he just needs to stay healthy. I wonder if he has a genetic defect that affected his shoulders. Now that both are fixed he should be good to go.

Old
05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Glide5

Quote:

He's the guy I want to see us get more than anyone else in our range right now. He fits the Yzerplan perfectly. Either hope he falls some due to the Russian factor, or we trade up to get him. I doubt he will make it past 15-17 though.

Old
05-15-2014, 11:49 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide5 View Post
He's the guy I want to see us get more than anyone else in our range right now. He fits the Yzerplan perfectly. Either hope he falls some due to the Russian factor, or we trade up to get him. I doubt he will make it past 15-17 though.
Agreed. One interesting note though is Dallas, and more importantly Jim Nill, one of Yzerman's mentors, holds the 14th pick. I saw a post on the trade board that mentioned Dallas would probably be interested in moving down. We easily have the expendable assets to get to 14. It's hard to read up on Barbashev and not picturing Yzerman targeting him.

Old
05-15-2014, 12:49 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Agreed, he just needs to stay healthy. I wonder if he has a genetic defect that affected his shoulders. Now that both are fixed he should be good to go.

That's what I think. I think he was born with structurally weak/"deformed" shoulders and that is why they get injured like that. His latest injury was nothing, he was in a shoving match with a guy and they both went down together, and somehow his shoulder got messed up. Now that both of his shoulders have been surgically repaired, hopefully he has no more problems with them.

Old
05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Agreed. One interesting note though is Dallas, and more importantly Jim Nill, one of Yzerman's mentors, holds the 14th pick. I saw a post on the trade board that mentioned Dallas would probably be interested in moving down. We easily have the expendable assets to get to 14. It's hard to read up on Barbashev and not picturing Yzerman targeting him.
I agree with you, but if our 2nd this season doesn't get is from 19 to 14, I am not interested into such a deal.
That said if this deal would go down I would hope we trade the Rangers first for 2 2nd round picks.

Old
05-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I agree with you, but if our 2nd this season doesn't get is from 19 to 14, I am not interested into such a deal.
That said if this deal would go down I would hope we trade the Rangers first for 2 2nd round picks.
I would like that deal.
Buffalo has three picks in the 2nd round (31, 39, 49)

Closed Thread