HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

vCash: 500
More Mock Drafts... Sportsnet. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-d...-in-nhl-draft/

#19. Dylan Larkin: "The type of player who helps a team win in the playoffs with his drive and determination. Larkin is a solid, reliable two-way forward who will probably round into a defensive contributor in the NHL."

#28. Roland McKeown : "After adding a forward at No. 19, the Lightning can focus on defence with this pick. His defensive game needs some work, but McKeown is a prospect worth investing in thanks to puckmoving and skating ability."

Old
06-17-2014, 08:59 AM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

only 10 more days until the draft!!

Old
06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 408
Time to trade some picks, right? Right?

Old
06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Time to trade some picks, right? Right?
TSN was speculating that the Preds wanted to move their 2 seconds for another first. If we don't have our target @ 28, I would be thrilled to do that trade personally.

Old
06-17-2014, 10:17 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
TSN was speculating that the Preds wanted to move their 2 seconds for another first. If we don't have our target @ 28, I would be thrilled to do that trade personally.
This draft is weak, no need for two 2nd's in this draft. Unless we get a 15' 2nd I say we stand pat and hope one of the defenders fall to us at 28.

Old
06-17-2014, 10:19 AM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Same here. I would love to get 2 players instead of one. Considering how good Al Murray has drafted in the past.

4 guys that I like in Round 2; Alexis Vanier, Marcus Pettersen, Ryan MacInnis, Brett Pollock. All are 6'3" and over...

i wonder if pick #28 would land Ryan Ellis..probably not, maybe we can add another pick or prospects (if it's not enough).

Old
06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
This draft is weak, no need for two 2nd's in this draft. Unless we get a 15' 2nd I say we stand pat and hope one of the defenders fall to us at 28.
I actually like a ton of defenders in second round myself bigger guys more physical might not be top pairing guys but shut down physical guys we can use!! All of them are projects but pettersson is not physical and yet one of best passers ive seen and like 6'4 needs muscle to develop etc.. but plays two way game.

I like glover and collins as shut down types of guys glover might have offense not sure on collins

And my sleeper of this draft who think goes in second round not third is adam olias mattsson hes already a man body wise now needs to become calmer and learn to play better but could truly develop into a good shut down guy.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 06-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old
06-17-2014, 10:43 AM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Quote:
actually the draft might be weak of top liners, top 1-2 Dmen but in the range of 20-50 All players are relatively project to be 2nd/3rd liners or #3-4 Dmen. So instead of reaching for a guy why not trade our #28 (providing the player we wanted at 28 isn't available) for two 2nd round picks.

Old
06-17-2014, 10:50 AM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
I actually like a ton of defenders in second round myself bigger guys more physical might not be top pairing guys but shut down physical guys we can use!! All of them are projects but pettersson is not physical and yet one of best passers ive seen and like 6'4 needs muscle to develop etc.. but plays two way game.

I like glover and collins as shut down types of guys glover might have offense not sure on collins

And my sleeper of this draft who think goes in second round not third is adam olias mattsson hes already a man body wise now needs to become calmer and learn to play better but could truly develop into a good shut down guy.
My wildcard in Round 2 is Alexis Vanier. Who kind of brokeout this year offensively..at 6'5" 225lbs 15 goals 21 assists has a booming slapshot, plays a physical game, skating might be an issue, but I've seen improvement this year. The only bad thing, he was injured at the end of the season (Shoulder). His size/Shot should make him an early-to-mid 2nd round pick.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:03 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post

None of those defenders seem like anything more then bottom pair player's. We could get one with our pick at 50 and use the extra 5th and 3rd rounder to move up for another. Honka/McKoewn/Sanheim if they fall to 28 have top 4 potential which we need.

We have player's like Witkowski/Dotchin/Nesterov who project as bottom pair, we need more quality then quantity.

Old
06-17-2014, 11:13 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslightning79 View Post
My wildcard in Round 2 is Alexis Vanier. Who kind of brokeout this year offensively..at 6'5" 225lbs 15 goals 21 assists has a booming slapshot, plays a physical game, skating might be an issue, but I've seen improvement this year. The only bad thing, he was injured at the end of the season (Shoulder). His size/Shot should make him an early-to-mid 2nd round pick.
ive seen vanier all over from first to fourth think bobby mac has him at 34 so unsure where we would have him.

All these guys got to do some work. I wonder since his issue is the skating and the dis love of aulie if we go after a guy like him though.

If others around see us taking a pettersson over him myself.

Quote:
None of those defenders seem like anything more then bottom pair player's. We could get one with our pick at 50 and use the extra 5th and 3rd rounder to move up for another. Honka/McKoewn/Sanheim if they fall to 28 have top 4 potential which we need.

We have player's like Witkowski/Dotchin/Nesterov who project as bottom pair, we need more quality then quantity.
I hope nesterov develops and is not a bottom pair or bust dotchin has been surprising. Hope he can continue to surprise. collins and mattsson might be bottom pairings yet think both would be number four guys and true shutdowns.

pettersson and glover are 2 way number 3-4 guys. They both seem to have what it takes to add offense to truly be top four guys. All of these guys are projects I honestly am not gonna name names but think a couple of them will be better than mckoewn myself.

I dont think witkowski makes more than a plane ticket ever myself.

the only d guys I truly like at positions we might get them in first round are honka and sanheim I am blah about most guys in this draft.

These guys I named have game. We really need some more phsyicality if possible.

Pettersson doesnt offer that but hes one of those swedes who play that style that works well in nhl and he seems very calm with his passing and positioning.

We can always use high end talent like honka if available. Tough kids like barbashev or a few of the others. Yet to get physical defenders to me is a way to start working on things. We basically have none right now. So if can grab 1 or 2 that would be awesome.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 06-17-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old
06-17-2014, 12:00 PM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Why not take a chance with pick #28 and get DeAngelo who missed 17 games due to suspensions and still lead the OHL in points.

He's the only one that might become a top2 Dmen in this draft other than Ekblad.

Old
06-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Why not take a chance with pick #28 and get DeAngelo who missed 17 games due to suspensions and still lead the OHL in points.

He's the only one that might become a top2 Dmen in this draft other than Ekblad.
If Yzerman's confident he can turn his attitude around then I wouldn't have too big of a problem with it, especially if Honka/McKeown/Sanheim are all off the board.

Old
06-17-2014, 01:02 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
If Yzerman's confident he can turn his attitude around then I wouldn't have too big of a problem with it, especially if Honka/McKeown/Sanheim are all off the board.
I'm in this boat too. It's hard for us to really tell what's going on from this distance. All indications look like this kid has a lot of red flags, but if he can convince SFY/Murray that he's matured, and I can't see us drafting him if that's not the case, then I'm good with it. And it's not like we'd be bringing this kid to the NHL anytime soon anyway. There's plenty of time to work out personality/maturity issues, if they're not overwhelming.

Old
06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

Quote:
Quote:
actually the draft might be weak of top liners, top 1-2 Dmen but in the range of 20-50 All players are relatively project to be 2nd/3rd liners or #3-4 Dmen. So instead of reaching for a guy why not trade our #28 (providing the player we wanted at 28 isn't available) for two 2nd round picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
I'm in this boat too. It's hard for us to really tell what's going on from this distance. All indications look like this kid has a lot of red flags, but if he can convince SFY/Murray that he's matured, and I can't see us drafting him if that's not the case, then I'm good with it. And it's not like we'd be bringing this kid to the NHL anytime soon anyway. There's plenty of time to work out personality/maturity issues, if they're not overwhelming.
He's been playing away from his home since probably the age of 14, Obviously he's going to have Attitude problems/maturity issues. I think Steve Yzerman should have a long interview with him, ask him what happened, maybe interview a few of his teammates, coaches, ect.

He was ranked in the top 12-18 before his suspension, and was beleived to be a top 2-4 Dmen.

71 pts in 51 games is nothing short of spectacular for a 18 year old Dmen. His defensive game needs a lot of work, but his offensive game is already very good for his age.

If the Lightning want to find a top2 Dmen, they will have to take risks, as from here on out if this teams keeps contending every year we will draft in the later rounds.

Old
06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1197
Quote:
Agreed that the draft seems 'weak' however the fact that the draft is indeed lacking in high end quality reinforces the move for quantity. I rather have 2 more picks that could give us 2 above average to average prospects than potentially one borderline slightly better than above average prospect.

From what scouting reports I've seen, the most likely prospects available @ 28 will be Connor Bleackley, Nikolay Goldobin, Nick Schmaltz or Thatcher Demko.......I rather give Yzerman two more picks to find a sleeper in this draft than have just one of those guys. The difference between 28 and 41+45 isn't much of a difference.

I'd pass on DeAngelo.....He's worse than a poor man's Ryan Murphy.

Old
06-22-2014, 08:23 AM
robertguess2013

If we fail or get one of barbashev honka sanheim at 28 does anyone have any interest in drafting vladislav kamenev?

Ive only seen him play in hlinka believe was as under age guy. Yet he was good at faceoffs he was team leader in pk he worked on the boards hard is a good big kid seemed to have no weaknesses.

I was looking him up cause know he is not over here yet even though heard he was coming after draft.

The guy is a complete player 6'2 over 200 already at 18. Has no weaknesses really so tops out maybe 2 c or he would be super productive pk player and lower line player of future.

He is a playmaker over a scorer or shooter makes others better reminds me of palat hits boards goes to net keeps game simple north south etc..

Not sure what his offense will be but think he might wind up like a sheahan for detroit.

He has the russian factor so should be late first early second round pick.

Anyone from russia seen a lot of this kid?

Also any foreign guys here what do you think of yevgeni svechnikov I believe he is draft eligible next year?

Old
06-22-2014, 08:50 AM
HoseEmDown

Robert what do you mean with that first sentence? If we fail to get one of Barbashev/Honka/Sanheim?

Kamenev has 1st round talent but will most likely fail to the 2nd. He won't fall all the way to 50 though so don't think we have a shot. I think we'll target a defender at 50 anyway but if we get 2 defenders in the 1st round maybe we'd trade up for someone like him.

Old
06-22-2014, 09:02 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Robert what do you mean with that first sentence? If we fail to get one of Barbashev/Honka/Sanheim?

Kamenev has 1st round talent but will most likely fail to the 2nd. He won't fall all the way to 50 though so don't think we have a shot. I think we'll target a defender at 50 anyway but if we get 2 defenders in the 1st round maybe we'd trade up for someone like him.
meaning I do not like our chances at getting a guy I LIKE at 28 lol

Those are the three guys I want. Is that simple. The rest? BLAH.

I dont want mckoewn or others I like a bunch of d in second round. I figure we easily get a guy I like in second round.

I am really worried on getting a guy I like at 28th pick. I am actually worried a bit of getting a guy I want at 19.

I have said I would move back this draft. If cant get these three guys or one of them? I move and acquire picks hopefully in next years draft. I love the whole first two rounds of next years draft is gonna be one of those truly great draft years.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
HoseEmDown

Barbashev won't be there at 28 but possibly at 19, who do you think we pick at 19 if you are hoping Barbashev is at 28? Honka or Sanheim are possible at 28, why don't you like McKoewn? I think he's a mix of the two and would be a good pick at 28.

There's a bunch of decent player's in the 2nd but we are in a position where I'd rather get a quality player at 28 then trade back to pick up quantity. We still have 6 picks after the 1st round to fill needs we need the BPA in the 1st round.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:29 AM
IdealisticSniper

I don't care what people say, I'd love to take a chance on Ho Sang at 28 if he's there.

I'm basically in the same camp as most. Barbashev/Sanheim/Honka and I'm adding Ho Sang. Four players is love to get two of them with our picks.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:48 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I don't care what people say, I'd love to take a chance on Ho Sang at 28 if he's there.

I'm basically in the same camp as most. Barbashev/Sanheim/Honka and I'm adding Ho Sang. Four players is love to get two of them with our picks.
If we took Barbashev at 19, Honka/Sanheim are gone and were left with Ho Sang or McKoewn you'd still take Ho Sang? If we went forward at 19 I'd hope D at 28 or if we went D at 19 then I'd go forward 28 depending what defenders are left.

Think we can get a much better forward at 19 and still get a good defender at 28, that's how I hope it goes.

Old
06-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
If we took Barbashev at 19, Honka/Sanheim are gone and were left with Ho Sang or McKoewn you'd still take Ho Sang? If we went forward at 19 I'd hope D at 28 or if we went D at 19 then I'd go forward 28 depending what defenders are left.

Think we can get a much better forward at 19 and still get a good defender at 28, that's how I hope it goes.
I agree with you completely. I'd be ecstatic with Barbashev at 19 and D at 28 or Honka at 19 and Ho Sang at 28 but I wouldn't be comfortable with two forwards in the first. Two defensemen would be fine.

Old
06-22-2014, 01:05 PM
robertguess2013

im not sold on mckoewn when all is said and done got a feeling the other 6-8 guys in second round wind up as good or better than him so dont want him at 28 even if that means drafting a forward.

Or reaching on one of the d guys who I see as better than mckoewn long run. This draft is weird a few weeks ago was no mocks really saying was over four guys going top 30 d wise. Now could be up to eight.

Just hard to predict at all.

Old
06-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post

Ya, I will agree with those four choices. I think Honka/Sanheim would be our best bet at 19, since we need defense, but if Barbashev is gone by 28 and Ho-Sang is still on the board, we would be crazy not to take him. I think he is a much better player than he is being given credit for.

This is going to be a really fun draft to track. I just want to see what SFY does, cause it could be any number of a dozen options it feels.

Closed Thread