HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo's 2014 1st pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2014, 09:07 AM
  #1
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Buffalo's 2014 1st pick

I might be in the minority here, but I believe Buffalo needs an established player(likely a forward) to help the team. They cannot have a proper rebuild with rookies playing all position, it just doesn't work.

I'm not suggesting Buffalo deals the pick for other picks/prospects(although they may be included), but I believe Buffalo could benefit from having a young vet forward.

I'm just speculating, no sources or any of that, just want to see what Buffalo fans think, and what other teams might offer.

Also, none of this crap like "my 33yo center who used to be good but still has leadership ability" crap.

Under 30 and bonafide.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:10 AM
  #2
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
No from Buffalo.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:16 AM
  #3
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
No from Buffalo.
Thanks for the productive reply...

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:19 AM
  #4
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
And instead of utilizing all the cap space they'll have to sign a few competent free agents and fill that void, they should trade a top three pick in the draft. Where do you people come up with this crap?

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:21 AM
  #5
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie
 
umbertovanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Strasbourg, France
Country: United Nations
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
thanks for taking the trouble to wreck your head about the future of our franchise, but no thanks.

There probably isn't a single Buffalo fan who doesn't want to pick high after this atrocious season.

EDIT: Well, unless you're talking about players in the Seguin, Landeskog, McKinnon mold. But why would that happen?

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:25 AM
  #6
afurrywabbitwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Interesting to ponder over...

I don't think Pittsburgh has much to offer unless Buffalo is interested in some D-men. And honestly, I don't think we would be very interested. The only trade I would consider as Buffalo is trading the pick for more picks. The only team that has two 1st round picks is Anaheim.

afurrywabbitwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:26 AM
  #7
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
And instead of utilizing all the cap space they'll have to sign a few competent free agents and fill that void, they should trade a top three pick in the draft. Where do you people come up with this crap?
Ville Leino, David Clarkson, Ryan Clowe....

"Competent" FA want a long term deal that will likely hinder a re-build. It's not like I said "give me your crap", I said young, under 30 vets.

I'm thinking more like the Mike Richards kinda deal. Or maybe a Stepan+ kinda thing, not something detrimental to the re-build.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:28 AM
  #8
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
thanks for taking the trouble to wreck your head about the future of our franchise, but no thanks.

There probably isn't a single Buffalo fan who doesn't want to pick high after this atrocious season.

EDIT: Well, unless you're talking about players in the Seguin, Landeskog, McKinnon mold. But why would that happen?
Would Kane fit into that?

He's the kinda player I was asking about. A building block.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:32 AM
  #9
93LEAFS
Registered User
 
93LEAFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Would Kane fit into that?

He's the kinda player I was asking about. A building block.
Which Kane, if you can get Patrick and lock him up for sure, but thats way too much for Evander at the moment

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:34 AM
  #10
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Ville Leino, David Clarkson, Ryan Clowe....

"Competent" FA want a long term deal that will likely hinder a re-build. It's not like I said "give me your crap", I said young, under 30 vets.

I'm thinking more like the Mike Richards kinda deal. Or maybe a Stepan+ kinda thing, not something detrimental to the re-build.
Did the rules of free agency change? What's stopping them from handing a 1 or 2 year deal to players like Olli Jokinen and David Legwand? That's all that's necessary. The highest producing veteran forwards on a 2007-2008 Chicago Blackhawks team were a 36 year old Robert Lang and Jason Williams. Their best veteran defenseman was Brent Sopel. All they need is a few plugs. Unless a Stamkos or Tavares was on the table they wouldn't even consider moving that pick for a player. This isn't NHL14.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:36 AM
  #11
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie
 
umbertovanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Strasbourg, France
Country: United Nations
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by afurrywabbitwolf View Post
Interesting to ponder over...

I don't think Pittsburgh has much to offer unless Buffalo is interested in some D-men. And honestly, I don't think we would be very interested. The only trade I would consider as Buffalo is trading the pick for more picks. The only team that has two 1st round picks is Anaheim.
No, no and no.

No it's not interesting, in fact it doesn't make sense.
No, Buffalo is not interested in d-men, they have probably the deepest and most high-end d-prospect stable in the league.
No, they don't need more picks, in fact the exact opposite is the case.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:43 AM
  #12
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I might be in the minority here, but I believe Buffalo needs an established player(likely a forward) to help the team. They cannot have a proper rebuild with rookies playing all position, it just doesn't work.

I'm not suggesting Buffalo deals the pick for other picks/prospects(although they may be included), but I believe Buffalo could benefit from having a young vet forward.

I'm just speculating, no sources or any of that, just want to see what Buffalo fans think, and what other teams might offer.

Also, none of this crap like "my 33yo center who used to be good but still has leadership ability" crap.

Under 30 and bonafide.
would it not be more beneficial to them to select the BPA at the draft, and sign a couple UFAs who can mentor them (and help reach the cap floor) so that they can become better for longer and more sustainably within the next 3 years?

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
  #13
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 7,808
vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Ville Leino, David Clarkson, Ryan Clowe....

"Competent" FA want a long term deal that will likely hinder a re-build.
Vernon Fiddler is on a 3x $1.8m deal.
Derek Morris is 4x $2.75m.
Lee Stempniak is 2x $2.5m.
Brenden Morrow 1x $1.5m.
Mason Raymond is 1x $1m.
Thomas Greiss and Al Monotya are both 1x less than $1m.

I don't recommend these guys necessarily, but there are always plenty of good, solid free agent signings who will fill roster spots and help a team along. You're not going to build a Stanley Cup champion like that, but you'll find veterans who'll help keep Ennis / Grigorinko / Zadorov / etc from getting destroyed while still wearing their NHL diapers.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
  #14
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie
 
umbertovanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Strasbourg, France
Country: United Nations
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Would Kane fit into that?

He's the kinda player I was asking about. A building block.
Patrick maybe but probably not. I just don't think he is the right character for a rebuild, being a rolemodel and all. And why would he leave Chicago, anyway.
What Buffalo needs is a legit young first line center to build around. Those usually never get traded (exception: Seguin, Tyler), Landeskog is on my list because of leadership quality.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:53 AM
  #15
SpaceCowboy
Registered User
 
SpaceCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
If Buffalo waits two years, they will literally be stacked with prospects and young future superstars in the making.

(Especially if they tank next year and pick up another top 5 pick in a much deeper draft. And of course take part in the McDavid lottery.)

One player will not fix Buffalo. If that were true Miller would be staying. This is a full team remap keeping the young, and turning over the old. Veterans are always available to be picked up when you're cup ready. It's much harder to get younger than it it to get older in the NHL.

SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
  #16
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,063
vCash: 500
Philly offers both Schenn's. At 22 and 24 they fit the age our your rebuild.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
  #17
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,307
vCash: 500
Nope. Capable vets can be brought in cheaply in plenty of ways. You screw up a rebuild completely by trading away your top picks. Not happening.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
  #18
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
1st overall pick isn't going to net anyone Patrick Kane......

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:11 AM
  #19
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
1st overall pick isn't going to net anyone Patrick Kane......
Nor should it. Chicago isn't trading him, ever.

We also aren't trading the pick now. We will trade young assets soon once they have stockpiled. We need an elite, young, forward with this pick. Not one team will trade their young, elite forward for this pick.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
  #20
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Nor should it. Chicago isn't trading him, ever.

We also aren't trading the pick now. We will trade young assets soon once they have stockpiled. We need an elite, young, forward with this pick. Not one team will trade their young, elite forward for this pick.
Agreed.

However, seeing as this draft is missing high end talent this could be a "bad" year for Buffalo to pick 1st.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
  #21
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,453
vCash: 500
Pick won't be traded.

sabres will draft high for the next 2-3 seasons.
We'll draft our own franchise players.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
  #22
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot
 
Karate Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Thanks for the productive reply...
I don't know what you want. It's a terrible idea.

The first overall pick this year isn't going to net a guy who is as good as the guy they could potentially draft.

My post is probably what most Sabres fans would respond with. No interest in trading that pick.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
  #23
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Agreed.

However, seeing as this draft is missing high end talent this could be a "bad" year for Buffalo to pick 1st.
Reinhart and Ekblad are high end talent, maybe not on the level of last or next year but at least on par with what the Oilers drafted.

no need to worry about the Sabres.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:20 AM
  #24
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
I never said Patrick Kane, I was thinking of Evander.

And if anyone thinks that in UFA the Sabre's are going to get good helpful vets on the cheap, well then this thread should be closed, cause it isn't happening.

Right now, the Sabre's have a couple trade chips, and Myers and Hodgson. And prospects. A legit forward who isn't a maybe would really help the team, now and in the future.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 10:22 AM
  #25
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I don't know what you want. It's a terrible idea.

The first overall pick this year isn't going to net a guy who is as good as the guy they could potentially draft.

My post is probably what most Sabres fans would respond with. No interest in trading that pick.
And into the fire he goes....

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.