HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs lose 4-3

Old
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Uber Coca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I don't know why people keep saying Gionta played "bad". It's not because he did not capitalized on his scoring chances means that he played bad. It's not like he put his team in trouble or anything like that.
Gionta will easily be targeted mainly because he brings next to nothing when he's not scoring or at least hitting the net. Last night, Bourque and Plekanec carried the line. Gionta missed the net on most of his ''scoring chances''. He'll need to get his nose dirty in order to be successful. I'll agree that he's often the first to back-check and, unlike Plekanec, is disciplined. That doesn't erase the fact that he was useless most of the time last night...

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Diaz played like his usual self. A cream puff. Not all of us are going to let him off the hook for picking his nose while everyone's in the crease hacking Price. That's not his fault, though. Therrien insists on playing him and our GM has built a pretty weak defense.
Really? Between Emelin, Tinordi, Murray and Subban you have a very good mix of guys who can fight, hit, and clear the crease. It just so happens that two of those guys are hurt right now.

Diaz has a role on this team, but it's not the rough stuff. I know it conflicts with Habs fan fantasies, but not every player can be a top-scoring guy who can fight. It's like complaining that Doug Murray doesn't rush the puck enough - that's not his game.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Gionta will easily be targeted mainly because he brings next to nothing when he's not scoring or at least hitting the net.
That is simply not true and what is most frustrating about these boards. Gionta's defensive and possession game is so ****ing underrated and it all has to do with his height. People will refuse to see contributions just because he's small. It has become absolutely ridiculous.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is simply not true and what is most frustrating about these boards. Gionta's defensive and possession game is so ****ing underrated and it all has to do with his height. People will refuse to see contributions just because he's small. It has become absolutely ridiculous.
You mean his defensive game where he just skated like it was a practice to get back that allowed Phaneuf to be wide open ?

The point with Gionta is, he's not paid 5 mill a year to be alright defensively. He's paid to score. His shot is terrible. He must have some muscle damage still.

For his part, he still has his speed.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You mean his defensive game where he just skated like it was a practice to get back that allowed Phaneuf to be wide open ?

The point with Gionta is, he's not paid 5 mill a year to be alright defensively. He's paid to score. His shot is terrible. He must have some muscle damage still.

So one error is enough to overlook all of his defensive contributions? You do realize that players won't play a perfect game for 82 games a year right?

Also get over the contract, no he isn't paid 5 million to be a defensive player, but that doesn't mean he's useless and doesn't contribute in other ways. It's the final of his contract, get over it. Accept him for the player that he is now he does a great job in his role as a defensive top 9 forward who helps the team at possession.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

The Habs lost last night because of being undisciplined. If they had of stayed out of the penalty box last night it would of been a different outcome.

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
The Habs lost last night because of being undisciplined. If they had of stayed out of the penalty box last night it would of been a different outcome.
I think that was the #2 factor. #1 was mismanaging the puck. Markov and Diaz are usually very smart with the puck but they both made plays that led to goals.

I'm not too concerned, game 1 was kind of shaky last year also and then they got going. Witout the lucky bounce to Raymond, it's probably an OT game with not much contribution from Subban Markov and the top 2 lines.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
I wanna know how come it's not a high sticking penalty if your errant stick carves open the ref's face??

What was that "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty on Markov when Kadri cross checked him down? Please don't tell me it's diving now when a 220lb man takes 3 strides and blindsides you with some wood into your upper back causing you to fall?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

I think it's early to panic on Gionta. He looked to be moving well last night, but having only been back at practice for a week and one exhibition is not ideal.

Once he's back at full speed he'll be on a 25 goal pace and providing strong 2 way play.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:45 AM
poetryinmotion

Clown refs didn't help either.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Clown refs didn't help either.
Lupul and Kadri with some blatant diving, no call.

Markov gets crosscheck on the back, gets call for embellishment.

Prust gets penalized for roughing+fighting without throwing a single punch.

Last edited by Rosso Scuderia: 10-02-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I wanna know how come it's not a high sticking penalty if your errant stick carves open the ref's face??

What was that "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty on Markov when Kadri cross checked him down? Please don't tell me it's diving now when a 220lb man takes 3 strides and blindsides you with some wood into your upper back causing you to fall?
I like having the diving and embelishment rules in the book, but I find refs use them as a crutch when they don't have the balls to make the right call. Having somebody cross check you to the ice while off balance is something normal not a dive.

Those rules were put in place to stop the huge spiral pirouettes that some players did to draw penalities. Markov's penality was a joke, he added NO drama to the play at all, didn't act like he was shot or do a flying leap.

Old
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post

I think it was the oversell by Markov. It was definitely a crosscheck, but Markov threw his limbs wildly into the air to sell it. He made HBK look like a stiff on his classic overselling vs Hogan.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kingdok

I thought Gionta played a good game. he had many chances and was often the first on the puck. The Desharnais line was the one that looked bad.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:56 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think it was the oversell by Markov. It was definitely a crosscheck, but Markov threw his limbs wildly into the air to sell it. He made HBK look like a stiff on his classic overselling vs Hogan.
It's a recurring scenario where the other team gets away with everything and once we try to do the same all of a sudden the rule book changes and they feel they have to start handing out minutes.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:59 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Sometimes I get the feeling the refs go out of their way to prove they are not favoring the Habs in the Bell Center. They clearly didn't give us a chance here, and continued to do so near the end of the 3rd period which was all the more awful.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
I thought Gionta played a good game. he had many chances and was often the first on the puck. The Desharnais line was the one that looked bad.
Poor patches. He created offense all on his own while being hurt. The habs need to give him someone who can win puck battles in the offensive zone

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:12 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
How about 1.5? 2 mill a year for dd, there has to be a team to take him at that price.
I hope so. His lack of size and physicality really limits his value IMO.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Lebowski

You guys are so quick at blaming the refs for our defeats. That's the kind of mentality that defines losers. The Habs lost because they sucked more than the Leafs yesterday. That's it.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:13 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Really? Between Emelin, Tinordi, Murray and Subban you have a very good mix of guys who can fight, hit, and clear the crease. It just so happens that two of those guys are hurt right now.

Diaz has a role on this team, but it's not the rough stuff. I know it conflicts with Habs fan fantasies, but not every player can be a top-scoring guy who can fight. It's like complaining that Doug Murray doesn't rush the puck enough - that's not his game.
weak as in "not good".

Old
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Poor patches. He created offense all on his own while being hurt. The habs need to give him someone who can win puck battles in the offensive zone
Seriously. They downgraded him from Cole to Ryder, then from Ryder to Brière.

Briere and Desharnais just look lost and totally irrelevant out there.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
You guys are so quick at blaming the refs for our defeats. That's the kind of mentality that defines losers. The Habs lost because they sucked more than the Leafs yesterday. That's it.
They're not to blame but they stunk...again.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Seriously. They downgraded him from Cole to Ryder, then from Ryder to Brière.
Last year's Cole was way worse than both Ryder and Brière.

Old
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
God i'm still mad just thinking about this game. We played good, but our mistakes cost us the game. Our 2-3 floaters need to wake up and we gonna win Saturday vs Philly ( just imagine this board if we lose ohhhhh boyyyyyyy )

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
They're not to blame but they stunk...again.
And had we won that game the Leafs would have the same kind of lame speech in their PGT.

When a ref sucks, he usually sucks for both sides.