HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 4-3

Old
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
kingdok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Last year's Cole was way worse than both Ryder and Brière.
That's true, and I was not unhappy with the trade. But winning puck battles has never been Ryder's forte.

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
I thought Gionta played a good game. he had many chances and was often the first on the puck. The Desharnais line was the one that looked bad.
I thought it was the same old Gionta... with that same damn shot that never gets through.

But he was better than DD.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Feel bad for Price on that game. Besides a couple unlucky bounces he played out of his mind. If he plays like that all season I have no worries.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:29 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Feel bad for Price on that game. Besides a couple unlucky bounces he played out of his mind. If he plays like that all season I have no worries.
I truly don't understand how his performance was "great" or "out of his mind". He played a solid game and that's about it.

People need to watch other goalies.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I truly don't understand how his performance was "great" or "out of his mind". He played a solid game and that's about it.

Yup.

I thought Price looked average. Looked like he fought with the puck on every single shot. If that's the version of Price "playing out of his mind", this is going to be a long season. He can do much better than that.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Andy

I find it funny that even with the enforcer, we still had an injury (Pacioretty) and still lost the game. It also didn't stop the Leafs from hacking and wacking, nor did it stop Prust from getting boarded twice in the game.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Yup.

I thought Price looked average. Looked like he fought with the puck on every single shot. If that's the version of Price "playing out of his mind", this is going to be a long season. He can do much better than that.
He robbed the Leafs on quite a few occasions, the only goal I can blame him for is on Bozak's breakaway and TBH, that's on Markov to begin with.

I'm sorry, but Price played very well yesterday and deserved better.

Strik_IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I find it funny that even with the enforcer, we still had an injury (Pacioretty) and still lost the game. It also didn't stop the Leafs from hacking and wacking, nor did it stop Prust from getting boarded twice in the game.
Well I don't think nobody is claiming having an enforcer prevents injuries and guarantees wins every game.

I thought our 4th line did a pretty good job yesterday. Even Moen went to the "rescue" of Prust, something we did not see once last season.

I didn't feel our players were intimidated or anything.

Last edited by Rosso Scuderia: 10-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Well I don't think nobody is claiming having an enforcer prevents injuries or wins every game.

I thought our 4th line did a pretty good job yesterday. Even Moen went to the "rescue" of Prust, something we did not see once last season.

I didn't feel our players were intimidated or anything.
Really? Wasn't that the main argument driving the whole enforcer threads we had going two years ago.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

I think he played a really good game. "Out of his mind" no. He made some awesome saves but he could've stopped that breakaway for example. If you get a performance out of your goalie like that though you should expect to win. We were sloppy last night and the refs didn't help.

Thing is though, you wake up and look at the save percentage the next morning and it looks like ****. And that's what I was worried about this season. It's only game one and hopefully we'll be better but I really think our problem is the D more than anything else.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think he played a really good game. "Out of his mind" no. He made some awesome saves but he could've stopped that breakaway for example. If you get a performance out of your goalie like that though you should expect to win. We were sloppy last night and the refs didn't help.

Thing is though, you wake up and look at the save percentage the next morning and it looks like ****. And that's what I was worried about this season. It's only game one and hopefully we'll be better but I really think our problem is the D more than anything else.
Price really has no room for error with this defense

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Exactly. The fact that Price needs to play "out of his mind" in order for the team to win says more about the team than it does about Price. He played a great game yesterday and still lost. When that happens the focus shouldn't be on the goaltenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Price really has no room for error with this defense
Exactly. I don't think the team would be any better with a different goaltender. The team just gives up too many high quality scoring chances in a single game. They're bound to go in. It reminds me of a game the habs played last year. They allowed 5 breakaways in one game, the opposing team finally scored on the 5th attempt after being stoned 4 other times and Price still got blamed, never mind the fact that the team gave up 5 breakaways.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
He robbed the Leafs on quite a few occasions, the only goal I can blame him for is on Bozak's breakaway and TBH, that's on Markov to begin with.

I'm sorry, but Price played very well yesterday and deserved better.
He had multiple 10 bell saves last night, I'm with you on not quite understanding how anyone can discredit his superb performance. I guess perhaps people listen to those dolts on HNIC (Healy, Stock etc) and take it to heart like they have anything credible or positive to say about Montreal, ever.

Just to add, the save where Kessel came down the slot and took a shot 18 inches blocker side from about 10 feet out - that save was a save not a lot of goalies make and Price probably wouldn't have last year. That save to me, shows his compete is up and his focus is there. The first goal that bounced around the crease and Diaz put it off the post and into the crease, not his fault; the Phaneuf goal was just a great shot (saveable but also an incredible placement); the Bozak goal was a breakaway and the Raymond goal was just bad luck.

If the puck bounced Montreal's way last night instead of Toronto they win 3-1. For this I'm not sure how anyone can be worried about Price after last night.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

After sleeping on it and having time to reflect, I have tried to find the silver lining regarding Desharnais.
I'm not a DD fan, and wouldn't be sad to see him move on to another team. I was pretty irked that he got the most ice time last night for the lacklustre performance he gave. It boggles my mind why Therrien keeps putting him in this position since last season. Desharnais has had a long leash regarding his poor play and production dating back to last season.

After thinking about how Therrien could justify giving him the ice time, the only thing I can reasonably come up with (other than DD have incriminating photos of Therrien) is this: Athletes have off years and struggle, and sometimes can turn it around. Given that he had a poor season last season, going into game one of the new season Therrien is obviously trying to put Desharnais in a position where he can "succeed" and prove that last year was just a bad season for him. Therrien is forcing Desharnais to show that he has worked hard enough on improving to show last season was just a down year.

This is game 1, and I would expect tht Desharnais is going to get a leash to start the season for the first few games. If he doesn't improve and continues to struggle, you have to imagine by at latest the 10 game mark Therrien will have reduced DD's ice time significantly. The ice time is a show of confidence which can be a big factor to many athletes. As much as giving him ice time right now blows with the way he is playing, this stretch of playing him might be enough to have the ability to combat the franco media once they start asking why DD isn't getting more ice time than Player B. This I hope is just justification for Therrien to make the call by showing DD that he gave him a shot and he shat the bed.

I hope that's somewhat accurate on Therrien's decision, any other reason would likely make me puke

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
the Phaneuf goal was just a great shot (saveable but also an incredible placement); .
the Phaneuf shot reminded me of that Subban shot against Boston, the one where TSN had that perfect low angle behind Subban to show how perfectly placed the shot was. Rask gave Subban a little room and Subban rifled it, but I wouldn't blame Rask for that, it was legitimately a perfect shot. However, when that happens against Price, it's his fault.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
the Phaneuf shot reminded me of that Subban shot against Boston, the one where TSN had that perfect low angle behind Subban to show how perfectly placed the shot was. Rask gave Subban a little room and Subban rifled it, but I wouldn't blame Rask for that, it was legitimately a perfect shot. However, when that happens against Price, it's his fault.
People are sometimes blinded by their obsession with perfection for Montreal goalies. You think back about the glory years of Roy and Dryden standing on their heads and winning games single handed, but they forget the stinkers, bad games and struggles that every athlete goes through.

Whether it's warranted with contract, the nature of the job or not, Carey Price is a superb goaltender and deserves a lot more respect then what he gets. However, I also realize that it is within the rights of people who invest their time in the game to be critical and voice their opinions so I understand that angle as well.

At the end of the day, Price is the goaltender of now and the future, and it would be a lot easier on people if they just took a step back and looked at all the variables that go into being the goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens before passing judgment on him.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

I always avoid opposition team's board on the game night, so few things I noted:

Wishing speedy recovery for Perros. Last time Orr and Perros fought, former's career almost ended. But point is, he is back in NHL. So am hoping Perros laces them up sooner than later.

Habs PK wasn't that big of an issue as compared to PP. 0/4 is fine. -1/4 isn't.

Price played well and gave his team a fair chance to win. In fact, both were probably the best 2 goalies on the given night (but then, not much competition either )

Oh, and Eller is a beast. That line is a top-6 line. To me, all it takes is 1 goal a game for a line to be considered a top-6 and I don't think that it will be too difficult for that line to achieve such numbers.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

As far as fighting goes, it will eventually help Habs in a huge way. A year back, no-one would've expected Phil Kessel to win a fight let alone get in one (even though it was a pre-season game). It will make your other players play out of their skin, team-mates sticking up for each other.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:51 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Until the game is called the way it should be called, we have to live with injuries and cheap shots. Players and coaches know how to test officials and the rules to gain an advantage. This is what the Leafs and the Bruins have learned well.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Habsfan18

Tinordi is going to be a beast. I know it was just Carter Ashton, but he's continuing to show improvement in that part of his game.

10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Tinordi is going to be a beast. I know it was just Carter Ashton, but he's continuing to show improvement in that part of his game.
I agree. We needed an D-Man like him who's able to drop the gloves when needed. He just needs to works on his speed and agility(it's hard for a big guy like him but i'm sure he will be able to do it) and he's going to be a very good D for us in the future.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I agree. We needed an D-Man like him who's able to drop the gloves when needed. He just needs to works on his speed and agility(it's hard for a big guy like him but i'm sure he will be able to do it) and he's going to be a very good D for us in the future.
Let's just hope he doesn't meet his ''Lucic'' and pull a ''Komisarek''

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGV View Post
Let's just hope he doesn't meet his ''Lucic'' and pull a ''Komisarek''
I don't think Komisarek was considered a fighter. So far Tinordi showed that he can fight any one in the league.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

One thing I still haven't figured out with MT is his time management. Not sure how DD ends up being our most used forward, and Gallagher only plays 11min (the least used forward not named Parros). Really, how does this happen.
How does Diaz get 6:20 on the PK and Subban 44sec. Did Therrien get the memo about PK winning the Norris? Does he know PK was our best PK player when we were first on it?..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
One thing I still haven't figured out with MT is his time management. Not sure how DD ends up being our most used forward, and Gallagher only plays 11min (the least used forward not named Parros). Really, how does this happen.
How does Diaz get 6:20 on the PK and Subban 44sec. Did Therrien get the memo about PK winning the Norris? Does he know PK was our best PK player when we were first on it?..

Its pretty much the same story year after year with Montreal coaches. We have a weak defense yet while other teams rely heavily on their star defenseman, Montreal tries to harness them.

Same with their young stars. Give them sheltered minutes and pray they dont make any mistakes ever or be benched, and never let them progress to the next level by playing through the growing pains

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote