HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

8 Days until Sidney comes to Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 500
We would get the best player of the deal, on paper at draft time, but we'd still lose in depth! One guy can't play goals, D and forward at the same time! He can't play on 4 lines and also play for the farm club!

Old
07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
We would get the best player of the deal, on paper at draft time, but we'd still lose in depth! One guy can't play goals, D and forward at the same time! He can't play on 4 lines and also play for the farm club!

There are gzillion free agents out there this summer.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
deandebean

Quote:

Phil, I respect what you're writing. But you would prefer depth (and the quality of it is still unknown) over having a franchise player who drools about playing in Montreal?

Would the Yankees have traded the world to get Derek Jeter if he had been drafted by, let's say, the Angels? Uncle George knows.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Crosby is not a certainty either. We think he's it. But people thought Daigle was it, and Lindros, and if you go way back, you'll remember a guy named Doug Wickenheiser (R.I.P) whom the Habs drafted first overall and busted miserably. Especially considering how good the guy drafted after him, Denis Savard, did.

You can't go forward if you fear failure. And that's why I wouldn't be a good GM. I'd fear failure in this case. Bob Gainey is not known to fear failure. We'll see what he does. But there are some players that I wouldn't want to give. Very little, 2 or 3, but I fear that Crosby could be a failure, and I wouldn't give those 3. Maybe I'd give away ONE, either Theo or Komo, if it came down to be a deal breaker and I somehow could negociate some more to receive a compensation for that player. Especially if I'd give away Theo because we'd need a goalie and the goalie market ain't exactly flourishing.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:27 AM
Anthony P

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Yes, I mean trading for the lucky ball. Bob Gainey knows that he has a true Canadiens on the end of the line. Watch him go a looooong way to try and get him. Everybody knows in the league that he wants to play in Montreal.

Everybody will be on the table. And I mean everybody. With such open free agency, Bob can replace anybody on the team.

Bob is not stupid. It's the first franchise player to ever express his profound desire to play in Montreal since Guy Lafleur. What would you do? Stay pat?

This is not Reggie Foule. This is Bob freaking Gainey, the guy who traded one of our most hot prospects in Balej for a 2 month rental. What would he trade for a franchise player? Heck, he'd trade Theo's girlfriend if needed.
Yeah but if Montreal can do that, what's to stop the team that drafts him from doing the same thing, so why would they want to trade Crosby, when they could go out into the market and pick up players that resemble the ones we're trading.... the only way to land him is to sacrifice the next 5 years of 1st rounders and to be honest I don't think that's a great idea.... but that's just me.... nonetheless I would love to see Crosby in a Habs uniform.... it's about time we returned to the glory days

Old
07-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
This is not Reggie Foule. This is Bob freaking Gainey, the guy who traded one of our most hot prospects in Balej for a 2 month rental. What would he trade for a franchise player? Heck, he'd trade Theo's girlfriend if needed.
On the otherhand... this is Bob Gainey... a consummate team player, a guy who recognizes probably better than most that teams win as a team, and probably places less importance on the idea of riding a single franchise superstar to glory... and on top of that probably realizes that Montreal is not a market which needs a franchise superstar to ride to glory. Attendance will max out either way. Oh sure, we always want the superstar, but we don't need it. Especially when the new CBA will allow teams even more leeway to sign superstars, younger superstars at lower prices, which makes it even less attractive to trade whole piles of prospects and players for one.

Bottom line, if Gainey is as smart as everybody says, he'll leave Crosby alone (for now), keep the young kids coming, keep the payroll well below the cap, and then pounce a couple years down the road on some 27-year old superstar to throw us over the top. Drop Lecavalier or Iginla or somebody like that onto a roster that already has everything else. For free.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:33 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
On the otherhand... this is Bob Gainey... a consummate team player, a guy who recognizes probably better than most that teams win as a team, and probably places less importance on the idea of riding a single franchise superstar to glory... and on top of that probably realizes that Montreal is not a market which needs a franchise superstar to ride to glory. Attendance will max out either way. Oh sure, we always want the superstar, but we don't need it. Especially when the new CBA will allow teams even more leeway to sign superstars, younger superstars at lower prices, which makes it even less attractive to trade whole piles of prospects and players for one.

Bottom line, if Gainey is as smart as everybody says, he'll leave Crosby alone (for now), keep the young kids coming, keep the payroll well below the cap, and then pounce a couple years down the road on some 27-year old superstar to throw us over the top. Drop Lecavalier or Iginla or somebody like that onto a roster that already has everything else. For free.

You've blinded me with logic, my friend. Love your post.

Just hate the fact that Bob would prefer team concept over having "at least" one superstar...well, he had Modano, didn't he? You never know.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:35 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Crosby is not a certainty either. We think he's it. But people thought Daigle was it, and Lindros, and if you go way back, you'll remember a guy named Doug Wickenheiser (R.I.P) whom the Habs drafted first overall and busted miserably. Especially considering how good the guy drafted after him, Denis Savard, did.

You can't go forward if you fear failure. And that's why I wouldn't be a good GM. I'd fear failure in this case. Bob Gainey is not known to fear failure. We'll see what he does. But there are some players that I wouldn't want to give. Very little, 2 or 3, but I fear that Crosby could be a failure, and I wouldn't give those 3. Maybe I'd give away ONE, either Theo or Komo, if it came down to be a deal breaker and I somehow could negociate some more to receive a compensation for that player. Especially if I'd give away Theo because we'd need a goalie and the goalie market ain't exactly flourishing.

Alexandre Daigle was NEVER considered at the same level. I saw Alex play as a pee-wee, for crying out loud. Not even close. Daigle couldn't stick handle, couldn't even turn on both sides, man. He was just quick straight forward, that was about it. And he had a very bad attitude.

As for Lindros, his attitude also killed him.

Doug had it all, except one thing: the gonades. Crosby has been under the microscope from his first days at the pee-wee level. He's got them.

Closed Thread