HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL 2004 Review - Oiler Slant

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Hemmer

vCash: 500
NHL 2004 Review - Oiler Slant

Well I just picked this game up for my computer yesterday, and I thought I would post my thoughts about the game for my fellow Oiler fans.

1) Beautiful graphics. On my mid-range PC, it looks incredible at 1024x768, and runs super-smooth. Have lots of RAM.

2) The in-game jukebox is nice, but I wish they had more than emo, punk and metal. You can shut it off ;-)

3) The front-end is very intuitive and clear, with a few minor glitches - specifically the extremely touchy pull-down menus.

4) Dynasty Mode - One could write an entire post on this. Very inventive system of points-per-victory gives you Upgrade Points to spend on every facet of your team. You can earn points by trading players and getting free agents signed as well. There is no limit on payroll, but the object of the dynasty mode is to make money, so high payroll doesn't always cut it. I spent my first three Upgrade points on scouting (2) and coaching (1). You earn more for every 100XP you get as a GM - you earn 2XP each time your team wins a game.

5) Trading is pretty solid, with no blatant inaccuracies other than the extremely high value placed on draft picks. You could pick up J-bo for a 2nd and a solid 2nd liner. From what I understand from those who have gone this far, this is because you can draft solid to excellent players well into the 4th round in this game.

6) The RFA system needs patching. It is very difficult to keep a low payroll unless you sign guys to long-term deals. Players like Kovalchuk and Heatly expect to be paid in the tens of millions when their contracts expire. Fedorov asks for something like 14 million apparently.

7) The Oilers lineup is well done, with nice pictures for every regular but Torres and Semenov. MacT is recognizable as the coach, but the best looking coach graphically is probably Joel Quenneville, from who I have seen so far. Again, graphics in this game are sick. So are the hit animations.

8) Fighting is the best it has ever been. BG OWNZ!!! Has to be seen and experienced to be believed.

9) The controls are very nice, but since I have a lower-end gamepad with only 6 buttons, I can't experience the full functionality, including being able to manually deke, as well as pin guys up on the boards. The players are the most realistic they've been in the history of this franchise, and little things like picking up a pass in the skates or behind the back, or tipping a shot from the point, all look much more realistic and animated.

10). My season so far -
I started the year by trading Horcoff, Chimera and a 5th to Pittsburgh for Brooks Orpik and Kris Beech. I then dealt Cory Cross to CBS for a prospect D-man. Both were good moves, as Orpik was better in all facets of the game when compared to Cross, and Beech is an improvement over Horcoff in both offensive abilities and potential (In this game anyway ;p ). I then messed around with reality a bit by signing Jan Hlavac and Igor Larionov, and trading them to NYR and NJD, respectively, each bringing back a 4th rounder. My current GM rating is 54, 32 points higher than the closest GM in my Dynasty season.

Also. Bergeron frickin hauls in this game. I was crushing Bertuzzi and the Sedins with him all game long an hour ago. He has good speed too. Semenov and Brewer are just sick on the boards.
Hemsky is under-rated.
Comrie looks perfect. Buy the game, and you'll see why. Funny stuff.
Smyth is a sniper, and Rita is the best player on the third line in most game situations I have faced so far.
Salo has been very solid for me.

Lines:
Smyth-York-Dvorak
Isbister-Comrie-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Rita
Torres-Beech-Laraque

Semi-Brew
Staios-Smith
Orpik-Bergeron

Salo
Conks

Old
09-28-2003, 12:49 PM
oilersrule14

You lose morale when you trade recently signed free agents. I read it in the hints when I was playing yesterday, lol.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:51 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I then messed around with reality a bit by signing Jan Hlavac and Igor Larionov, and trading them to NYR and NJD, respectively, each bringing back a 4th rounder.
Trading recently signed free agents brings down team morale. Lol, read that in the hints while playing yesterday.

Old
09-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Malmo_Mike

Did they improve the gameplay enough to make it worth buying?

Old
09-28-2003, 01:53 PM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
Did they improve the gameplay enough to make it worth buying?
Its a completely different game from 2003. Very little is teh same, its much more realistic, the only let down is the fact that some idiot at EA thought it would be a good idea to put heavy protection on the rosters. There may not be an editor this year, which does have an impact since the rosters and ratings were so horrible this year.
For those who are interested, and have the PC version, me and a buddy are teaming up to do a complete Oilers redo. Includes new jerseys, much nicer than the defaults, numbers and letters redone, hopefully in 2x(more detail), one or maybe both goalies, hopefully 2x ice surface featuring the new center ice logo and arena name when a name arises, and redone equipment for players.
If you want to know when its done, just PM me your email, itll prob we out mid October or so, I can email you when we finish.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
Trading recently signed free agents brings down team morale. Lol, read that in the hints while playing yesterday.
I thought it might, but I checked the morale for my players immediately after, and there was no change. Maybe I was quick enough

Old
09-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
not worth buying still
if you play on easy try and Med and you will see why its not worth buying, lucky for me i get it ripped

but if it was good enough i would have bought it

Old
09-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Vyse64
N64

anyone been able to get Jesse Niinimäki on to Edmotnon?

I could create him but that symbol above his "a" in his last name gives me trouble

Old
09-28-2003, 04:51 PM
The Major

He is on Ilves in the Finnish league, try trading him to the Oilers, I haven't tried but it should work.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
not worth buying still
if you play on easy try and Med and you will see why its not worth buying, lucky for me i get it ripped

but if it was good enough i would have bought it
What's wrong with the medium level?

Old
09-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
What's wrong with the medium level?
the hooking the computer does and the insane scoring chances they get

Old
09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilMan89
He is on Ilves in the Finnish league, try trading him to the Oilers, I haven't tried but it should work.
can't trade him, can't trade between inter-national teams and NHL teams and there is no roster editor yet

Old
09-28-2003, 05:31 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm ripping the league apart on Medium, definately going to up the difficulty right away.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
can't trade him, can't trade between inter-national teams and NHL teams and there is no roster editor yet
I read either at the Dallas board or the Prospect board that you have to move them before you start playing in season or dynasty mode. At the prospect board some people complained that the downsize to this is that since the players in e.g the Finnish league are rated against other players in that league, they're a little overrated in the NHL. E.g. Antti Miettinen would then be on the same level as Guerin on the Stars roster.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:45 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Try passing the puck...

Unlike any of the other NHL's this one really requires lots of quick passing. You can't pick up the puck behind your net anymore and skate right up the boards.

BTW...

has anyone seen the built in video for NFL street?

SICK!!!! Especially the guy getting nailed into the wall.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:27 PM
o98

As mentioned above, I've finished the jerseys and 4 full number/letter sets.
Link to Preview(400kb)
(jerseys are split to show both sides, and both character sets. also please note 3rd jersey font isn't finalized.)
I would really appreciate any constructive criticism. Thx.

Old
10-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Allan

Quote:
There is now.

http://www.nhlinfo.net

He's not quite done fixing all of the bugs, but it works pretty well. Just be extra careful to back up your rosters.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:28 AM
o98

If anyone wants a complete redo of the oilers uniforms and equipment, go here
http://www.cyber-nhl.net/files/viewer/?F_ID=1066247685
we just finished it yesterday, all jerseys redone, new 2x numbers, 3 goalies and a bunch of other stuff

Old
10-16-2003, 11:11 AM
scottish_eagles_fan

Why are salaries so insane in dynasty mode?!

Also, when you are negotiating a contract, say for example a player is asking for

Salary : $4million
Years : 2

is that $4million per year or $4 million over 2 years?

Old
10-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_eagles_fan
Why are salaries so insane in dynasty mode?!

Also, when you are negotiating a contract, say for example a player is asking for

Salary : $4million
Years : 2

is that $4million per year or $4 million over 2 years?
LOL. I made the same mistake ;-)

It's 4 million per year

Old
10-17-2003, 08:10 AM
scottish_eagles_fan

That would explain why Brewer was happy to accept $4million for 3 years!

Old
10-17-2003, 08:15 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_eagles_fan
That would explain why Brewer was happy to accept $4million for 3 years!
The punk wanted like $6mil/season from me...

Old
10-17-2003, 08:17 AM
dawgbone

I was kind of disappointed not to see Haley Wickenhyser (I spelled that completely wrong) at all... especially seeing as her team is now in the elite league.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Vyse64
N64

brewer loves to pull my chain he wants 8 mill for 2 years
he usually accepts 6.5 million for 3 years

Old
10-17-2003, 04:48 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
brewer loves to pull my chain he wants 8 mill for 2 years
he usually accepts 6.5 million for 3 years

Try to sign guys like that (potential of 80 or higher) to 5 or 6 year deals...it keeps your overall payroll down for a longer period of time, and helps to avoid continually giving players 3 million dollar raises. Also, boost your Legal statistics with GM "points" to reduce the numbers players are asking for.

Closed Thread