HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/nyi

Old
09-25-2013, 01:31 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Edm/nyi

Far be it for the Oilers to trade a dman....but anyways....

Frans Nielsen

Jeff Petry

discuss...

Last edited by BoldNewLettuce: 09-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

Not trading Frans until Nelson can absolutely handle second line duties.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
No.... We kinda need Petry. Gagner and RNH will be back eventually.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Mint
Kreider is CLEAN

vCash: 141
Value is fair, but both sides say no.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

My fellow Islander fans will scream at me, but I'd do this in a heart beat. I think the Isles seriously need an upgrade on the blueline and I'd rather go into the season with depth lacking up the middle then depth lacking on defense.

One practical problem though is that the Isles just have too many bodies on defense. So, to make this trade doable, the Oilers would need to take a defensemen in return as well.

I really don't know how well Petry is regarded around the league, but defensemen are a premium. So, that could mean that Nielsen won't get it done.

09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
SupremeTeam16

Not bad value but for Edmonton we are filling a temporary hole by opening up a long term one. Plus Petry is in a contract year that mixed with Eakins new "team defense" system I think he will have a good year.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:02 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
Not bad value but for Edmonton we are filling a temporary hole by opening up a long term one. Plus Petry is in a contract year that mixed with Eakins new "team defense" system I think he will have a good year.
Im not convinced they can afford petry, schultz, and yak all getting raises....but it depends on what you think petry gets....if he goes for 5 million than I wait for Klef or Nurse..

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:08 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Im not convinced they can afford petry, schultz, and yak all getting raises....but it depends on what you think petry gets....if he goes for 5 million than I wait for Klef or Nurse..
Yeah it will be tough but unless Petry has a Norris like season both him and Schultz will be in the 4 mil a year range. I really hope this year guys buy in to what is being built here in Edmonton. Take a little less money and help be apart of what is being built.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 400
We trade our best defenseman you won't have to worry about the others getting that big of raises because their defensive game is going to look like crap.

Petry or Smid(who was brought up elsewhere) can't be dealt until we see what Belov can do and how J.Schultz progresses. We lack top 4 d-men.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
Yeah it will be tough but unless Petry has a Norris like season both him and Schultz will be in the 4 mil a year range. I really hope this year guys buy in to what is being built here in Edmonton. Take a little less money and help be apart of what is being built.
With 13 players making at least 3 mill ( isles have 7) it looks like guys are definitely buying in.
(Penguins have 10, flames have 6) . I would make this trade next year. Can you call back same time next year. The value is there IMO so nice proposal

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:54 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Nielsen can't be moved yet. He will be before his contract is up, most likely, but not yet.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:17 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Yep.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Slatsmsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
With 13 players making at least 3 mill ( isles have 7) it looks like guys are definitely buying in.
(Penguins have 10, flames have 6) . I would make this trade next year. Can you call back same time next year. The value is there IMO so nice proposal
Really can't see Petry making 4 mill next season unless he improves dramatically over last year.

Love the guy, just can't see it.

Like Frans but I'd say no deal.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
this, plus I don't think EDM gives up Petry so early

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:03 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't care if Nilson goes out and has a 70 point season. We cannot afford to trade Petry. I could see Smid being the odd man out in 2-3 years.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
My fellow Islander fans will scream at me, but I'd do this in a heart beat. I think the Isles seriously need an upgrade on the blueline and I'd rather go into the season with depth lacking up the middle then depth lacking on defense.

One practical problem though is that the Isles just have too many bodies on defense. So, to make this trade doable, the Oilers would need to take a defensemen in return as well.

I really don't know how well Petry is regarded around the league, but defensemen are a premium. So, that could mean that Nielsen won't get it done.
I strongly disagree with this logic. I don't want 2 rookies centering the 2nd and 3rd line, puts a lot of pressure on them and will have many bumps in the road. Once those 2 guys prove they can be 2nd line centers then that's another story. Down the middle is extremely important to me.

The value is pretty fair, but the Isles can't do it right now. Doesn't make sense for the Oilers to trade Petry for Nielsen either.

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 09-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.
19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
MessierII

Wouldn't trade Petry to plug a temporary hole. Too high on him.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Jester9881

Islanders have a ton of defensive prospects coming up the pipe, and not nearly as many forwards. Nielsen is too important a piece right now, regardless of what some might think.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Petry isn't our best defenceman. Smid, J. Schultz, and Ference are all better than him.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:54 PM
ichabod13

i pretty much like this offer. even with as much as i like nielsen, i think i would do this deal. frans has been a very team loyal kind of guy, and id hate to pull the rug out from under him.....but i have to do what i have to do. its not personal, its business. and then one of long islands defensive prospects are tradeable for other parts and/or pieces.

i did NOT look at petrys contract status, so i have no idea what thats like.

by the way bub, when you get on a discussion board and start a topic/thread, you dont need to tell people "discuss".........thats why we are here.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Petry isn't our best defenceman. Smid, J. Schultz, and Ference are all better than him.
They're all better at certain facets of the game, but Petry is probably the most complete player out of all of them. Best slapper, best skating/passing bar J Schultz, best defensive positioning bar Ference, best hitting/crease clearing bar Smid etc.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I would consider this if Klefbom or Marincin were ready to make the next step. Even then, we can get more for Petry.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:54 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Both teams have been building forwards back as such both teams have thin bluelines. Can't see either one of them thinning out their blueline.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:41 AM
rikker

as an Isles fan, i would do it.

we have Tavares, Regin, Cizikas at C, and the fourth spot can be given to Sundstrom. Bouchard and Bailey also can slide in the mix. and we still have Nelson and Strome to fill in the blanks. lots of options, IMO.

it might leave us a little thin and young up front, but we need help on the blue line, especially with our old and inexperienced goaltending.

i haven't seen much of Petry, but i can tell that he is highly regarded by the Oil fans. as long as he has a bit of grit in his game, and is solid defensively, i think he can help us...

Nielsen is well liked by the fans as well (i will probably get skewered for liking this trade, lol), but he's not physical at all. with the Oilers being kind of soft up front, is he really what they need?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:14 PM
AAKHS10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No.... We kinda need Petry. Gagner and RNH will be back eventually.
Agreed. Petry is one of our best defensemen and is a steal on salary. Nielsen is a great player and very underrated, but Petry is a young developing dman that edm needs

AAKHS10 is offline   Reply With Quote