HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumour TSN: Khabibulin to Detroit, CuJo to vancouver?

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 06:37 PM
jstreim

vCash: 500
Khabibulin is their top signing priority. They'll sign him at a pretty decent price, even if it means the possibly of either letting St. Louis walk or losing lots of depth.

Old
07-14-2005, 07:05 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
Khabibulin is their top signing priority. They'll sign him at a pretty decent price, even if it means the possibly of either letting St. Louis walk or losing lots of depth.
considering the lack of top tiered goalies on the market, a $7.4mill player salary cap, and the number of teams that could be interested in adding a top goalie, Khabibulin could be a few team's top signing priority.

Basically it's going to come down to Khabibulin and where he wants to play. TBay will make a solid offer, and he'll get similar offers from other teams. Money isn't going to be deciding factor for him.

I haven't heard anything about how Khabibulin likes TBay, or his relationship with the coach (recently), or anything that would indicate he's not happy in Tbay, so I'd assume if they came up with the max offer he'll sign there... but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a couple other teams (through current salary space, or after buyouts) come up with a legitimate offer for Khabby.

He is IMO the biggest free agent on the market this year, given the position he plays, and the drop off in talent in that position after him available as UFAs.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:07 PM
jstreim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
considering the lack of top tiered goalies on the market, a $7.4mill player salary cap, and the number of teams that could be interested in adding a top goalie, Khabibulin could be a few team's top signing priority.
Good post, but which team in the market for a goalie can afford his salary under the cap?

Ottawa: re-signing thier players will not give them the assets to make a serious push for Khabibulin

Vancouver: If Naslund does not return (he most likely will), they'll be able to pursue him.

Detroit: No explanation needed

Toronto: (if belfour retires) See detroit

Carolina: If they aren't sold on Gerber and want to make the salary floor, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Pittsburgh: Probably stick with Fleury

Atlanta: Content with Nurminen and Lehtonen

Rangers: Too many big salaries... maybe not after buyouts, but they'll have to let Weekes walk.

Los Angeles: They are also pretty close to the cap. I don't know if they'll be too close after re-signing their own players to push for Khabi. I'm just hoping they don't have enough room to pick him up.

Phoenix: Regardless of whether he moved from one house there to another, I'll be dumbfounded if he ever returns to that organization.

St Louis: They'll have to sort out their own cap problems before pursuing an UFA goalie.

No doubt he's the biggest UFA on the market by far, that's why Feaster will most likely pay close to top dollar to keep him in Tampa. I'm also positive that he's pretty content here, so it'll take a nearly impossible offer to pry him away (he may stick around for a $5ish million/year contract for 3 or 4 years).

Old
07-14-2005, 09:14 PM
denverwingsfan

There is also a rumor of Osgood coming Back to Detroit.

Please not Ozzy again

Old
07-15-2005, 12:30 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
What do you think? Glenn Healy mentioned it today on TSN. I like the idea. CuJo could be had for dirt cheap Im sure.
I wish. I mentioned I heard Khabibulin might be moving on the Wings board the other day(thus beating Healy to it), and everyone on there pretty much thinks Khabibulin might be tooo coastly what with all the other players they'd have to fit in, consensus is they'd probably go cheaper. My personal feeling however, is great teams start in net.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:44 AM
QuickDynamite

I would't mind keeping Cloutier or signing Cujo. I think I like Cujo a little more, but I'd rather just stick with whoever's cheaper.

As far as Naslund - What is with these stupid Naslund going to Anaheim rumors? Just because Burke is the GM? Naslund wants to win, he'd have a better chance of winning in Vancouver then he would in Anaheim. I don't think whoever is the GM of a team will influence his descision to sign somewhere.

If he's leaving Vancouver, it will be for a team that plays wide open offense, is a cup contendor, and can most likely afford Peter Forsberg as well. Maybe a team like Atlanta? They've got lots of superstars like Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lehtonen, maybe Crosby? and have something like 11 players locked up for next season at around $11 million. They wouldn't have to deal with the headache of playing the Avs and the Canucks in the Southeast very much either.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
What do you think? Glenn Healy mentioned it today on TSN. I like the idea. CuJo could be had for dirt cheap Im sure.
Cujo is old and past his prime. Send him to Van.

Old
07-16-2005, 01:51 AM
MykeAbner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
Vancouver: If Naslund does not return (he most likely will), they'll be able to pursue him.
The Canucks can drop Cloutier ($2.32) and Sopel ($1.6) and get around $4 million in cap space. Plus they have a bit of cap space left even if they sign Naslund at max (though given Naslund's previous contract, it is possible that he will sign for less). Not to mention that of the 9 UFA's (Brad May, Markus Naslund, Marc Bergevin, Mike Keane, Jaroslav Obsut, Mats Lindgren, Martin Rucinsky, Johan Hedberg, Magnus Arvedson) the Canucks can lose all but Naslund, May, and Obsut. I believe that the Canucks can make a max offer for Nikolai if they want to.

Old
07-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Chilly Willy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeAbner
The Canucks can drop Cloutier ($2.32) and Sopel ($1.6) and get around $4 million in cap space. Plus they have a bit of cap space left even if they sign Naslund at max (though given Naslund's previous contract, it is possible that he will sign for less). Not to mention that of the 9 UFA's (Brad May, Markus Naslund, Marc Bergevin, Mike Keane, Jaroslav Obsut, Mats Lindgren, Martin Rucinsky, Johan Hedberg, Magnus Arvedson) the Canucks can lose all but Naslund, May, and Obsut. I believe that the Canucks can make a max offer for Nikolai if they want to.

Cloutier is a RFA...we don't have to sign him, we can go after whatever there is in the UFA.

UFA Goaltenders:

Roman Cechmanek (LA)
Sebastien Charpentier (WSH)
Trevor Kidd (TOR)
Nikolai Khabibulan (TB)
Chris Osgood (STL)
Zac Bierk (PHX)
Sean Burke (PHI)
Mike Dunham (NYR)
Garth Snow (NYI)
Corey Schwab (NJ)
Steve Shields (FLA)
Curtis Joseph (DET)
Ron Tugnutt (DAL)
Artus Irbe (CMB)
Felix Potvin (BOS)

Not many great goalies to choose from.

Old
07-16-2005, 10:11 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWilly
Cloutier is a RFA...we don't have to sign him, we can go after whatever there is in the UFA.

UFA Goaltenders:

Roman Cechmanek (LA)
Sebastien Charpentier (WSH)
Trevor Kidd (TOR)
Nikolai Khabibulan (TB)
Chris Osgood (STL)
Zac Bierk (PHX)
Sean Burke (PHI)
Mike Dunham (NYR)
Garth Snow (NYI)
Corey Schwab (NJ)
Steve Shields (FLA)
Curtis Joseph (DET)
Ron Tugnutt (DAL)
Artus Irbe (CMB)
Felix Potvin (BOS)

Not many great goalies to choose from.
There's only one goalie from that list I'd take over Cloutier (and in a second too!!)... but the rest, they are all either downgrades, latteral moves, or risky moves.... Cloutier is a better bet than any of the others.

I do hope that the canucks shock us all and finally land the top UFA on the market. Ain't going to happen though.

Old
07-16-2005, 05:40 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
I haven't heard anything about how Khabibulin likes TBay, or his relationship with the coach (recently), or anything that would indicate he's not happy in Tbay, so I'd assume if they came up with the max offer he'll sign there... but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a couple other teams (through current salary space, or after buyouts) come up with a legitimate offer for Khabby.
For what it's worth...

http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGBKO3XU5BE.html

That doesn't mean Khabibulin is a sure bet to bolt out of town. Those close to the Russian netminder have indicated he enjoys living in the Bay area. And the chance to repeat as Stanley Cup champion could sway Khabibulin to remain, but there is no doubt he will be in high demand on the open market.

Old
07-16-2005, 05:50 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Why would the Ducks want Cloutier when Giguere is better and Bryzgalov as a backup?

You read my post too literally...

Burke needs to propose, as a marketing angle, that Byrzgalov change his name to John Smith or something. His name is MOUTHFUL.

Old
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
davalanche96

Khabibulin in Colorado

Since Roy is retired Aebischer failed infront the net and Pierre Lacroix need to change both goalie and that why Khabibulin going there. Aebischer going in Ottawa for Prusek and Sauvé will be trade to for overall choice or futur consideration...

Go Avs Go

Old
07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davalanche96
Since Roy is retired Aebischer failed infront the net and Pierre Lacroix need to change both goalie and that why Khabibulin going there. Aebischer going in Ottawa for Prusek and Sauvé will be trade to for overall choice or futur consideration...

Go Avs Go

because afterall, the first Thing Colorado needs after cutting a top flight Defensemen and losing at least 2 scoring threats.... is a Goaltender who may command a near-max contract

Old
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:

Go Avs Go

The last thing the Avs need to do is go out and get Khabibulin. That makes 0 sense considering Aebischer was good for them last year and their entire top line line and shut down defenseman are free agents.

Old
07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Makel

Ok, first of all. Why the hell would he leave the team he just won a stanley cup on? They're a DAMN good team if he stays, and I would sure bet they could make another huge run!

Old
07-18-2005, 08:22 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Well the local Tampa fishwraps suggest Khabi is all about the money. If he would hold out for 2 years from the Coyotes, why not go where ever he can get a maximum contract. The feeling down here is that the Lightning will not give anyone a maximum contract...at least that's what the media is saying, but they've been chicken littles about Khabi for years.

Seems to me that holding out 2 years is more about pride than $$$ since he lost out on 2 years of checks. But then again after losing a 3rd year now he might feel he really needs to cash in now.

Old
07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
The last thing the Avs need to do is go out and get Khabibulin. That makes 0 sense considering Aebischer was good for them last year and their entire top line line and shut down defenseman are free agents.
Exactly. Aebischer is a pretty good goalie. Not on Khabibulin's level yet but he's way cheaper $$$.

I think the Avs can probably keep most of their core if they let one expensive guy go (people here think that's Blake). But adding Khabibulin would complicate things.

It's just like the Khabibulin rumours to Detroit. Not buying it. Detroit should be able to shop for a good UFA forward (like a Demitra) and decent depth d-man......but they will have to buy out Hatcher, McCarty and Whitney. And not bring back Schneider + Chelios. And get Yzerman to take another paycut. I think they should go with Legace/McDonald. because they are cheap. I'd love to get Khabibulin but there's no cap room to add a guy like that.

Old
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Scintillating

Hi there, just checking in from La-La land, but what if this year-long lockout ACTUALLY made the players think "Hey, it's not just about the money! I should play on a team where I feel at home. A team with player comeraderie. A team where I'll have a good time, enjoy the city and fans, and I can just have fun playing the game even if it's for less money than I could make elsewhere!"

...huh, what, oh, sorry I must have been dreaming...

He'll stay in Tampa (period)

Old
07-18-2005, 10:25 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by salzy
Man, how about Cujo to Ottawa? If there's any Leaf fans left who don't hate Cujo already, they surely would if he were a Sen.
If Cujo goes to Ottawa it'll be sens fans that hate him.

Old
07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:

Go Avs Go

That's very harsh of you to say about a very young goalie who had to fill the shoes of Patrick Roy.

He was good enough for you guys to make the playoffs. I know he had the pure offence team in front of him, but still.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Higgy4

Rumor or not, an article in the Detroit Free Press about a week ago said that Khabibulin was #1 on Detroits free agent wish list. So I think its quite possible they will try their best to bring him in. Whether or not they get him is a different story. But Detroit is interested. So I dont think Healy should have been made fun of for making this comment.

Old
07-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Exactly. Aebischer is a pretty good goalie. Not on Khabibulin's level yet but he's way cheaper $$$.

I think the Avs can probably keep most of their core if they let one expensive guy go (people here think that's Blake). But adding Khabibulin would complicate things.

It's just like the Khabibulin rumours to Detroit. Not buying it. Detroit should be able to shop for a good UFA forward (like a Demitra) and decent depth d-man......but they will have to buy out Hatcher, McCarty and Whitney. And not bring back Schneider + Chelios. And get Yzerman to take another paycut. I think they should go with Legace/McDonald. because they are cheap. I'd love to get Khabibulin but there's no cap room to add a guy like that.
I think its almost a guaranteed lock that all the guys you mentioned will not be in the Winged Wheel next year. Schneider and Chelios are definitly gone. Its almost 99% sure that Hatcher will be bought out. And it makes total sense to dump Mac and Whitney too. I think Yzerman will come back, and its being rumored that he will sign for around 1.5 - 2 million, if he does play another year.

It would take some very tricky maneuvering, but the Wings could eventually clear enough space to bring Khabi in. But then it all depends on how much money he would want to play in Detroit.

Old
07-19-2005, 02:02 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Rumor or not, an article in the Detroit Free Press about a week ago said that Khabibulin was #1 on Detroits free agent wish list. So I think its quite possible they will try their best to bring him in. Whether or not they get him is a different story. But Detroit is interested. So I dont think Healy should have been made fun of for making this comment.
you're making a lot of assumptions based on an article you read.

I'm not sure how the Detroit papers work, but in most other cities, most rumours that you read in papers come from columnists that don't either have the best sources, or make up things (ie I read this column in the Post by Brooks and... )

It could be just as possible that the Detroit Free Press heard what Healy said - who could have been guessing on his own - and ran it as a story that they're interested - leaving fans to believe that they for sure are interested.

I don't know either way if Detroit is or is not interested in Khabby... but to say that they are for sure, based on what you read in the local paper doesn't really mean much.

Old
07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
you're making a lot of assumptions based on an article you read.

I'm not sure how the Detroit papers work, but in most other cities, most rumours that you read in papers come from columnists that don't either have the best sources, or make up things (ie I read this column in the Post by Brooks and... )

It could be just as possible that the Detroit Free Press heard what Healy said - who could have been guessing on his own - and ran it as a story that they're interested - leaving fans to believe that they for sure are interested.

I don't know either way if Detroit is or is not interested in Khabby... but to say that they are for sure, based on what you read in the local paper doesn't really mean much.
The Wings have Manny Legace and Joey MacDonald as their goalies right now. So, they are obviously in the market for a UFA goaltender. Khabibulin is the best of the bunch. I dont think its much of a stretch to say that the Wings would love to land this guy if they could. Right?

So for Healy or the Detroit Free Press to bring this up makes total sense....atleast to me. Sure, it is a rumor. But its also a rumor that makes sense.

Thats basically all I was saying in my post.

Closed Thread