Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Shouldn't the title be "Fighting and its role in the NHL"?
Fixed it, just for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
only fight with gloves on and no grabbing each other

Also, I'm not sure the "staged" fights are that big of a deal anyways. Throughout the season they're pretty rare. The reason I think there needs to be some form of in game police is that the sport is so non-linear and has so much gray area for players.
Unfortunately, I don't think the staged fights are rare at all.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Puhis
@iPuhis

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Fixed it, just for you.
Thank you.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I really don't have a problem with any fights at all, even the staged ones. They are over in a minute and it's usually done for the rest of the game. I could see how it's annoying to some, but the staged ones don't really bother me. There are also times when they are necessary (Boogaard vs May 2007).

I'm of the opinion that the instigator rule needs to go. The ridiculous helmet removal and instigating with a visor stuff needs to go as well. Give the combatants five for fighting and let it go.

Hockey is not meant to be played as a clean pure game. Fighting IMO has always been a part of the game and should continue to be. It's just as much of a mental game as a physical one, and intimidation can play a huge role in the game.

I think the real reason behind all this talk about getting rid of fighting is so the NHL can cover its ass. They saw what the NFL had to pay out and said we will have to do something.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Stevie Y brought up a good point when he said that, on one hand, the NHL is claiming it's cracking down on head contact by handing out multiple game suspensions when a player intentionally (or sometimes maybe unintentionally) targets another player's head during the course of the game, and then on the other hand, only hands out a 5 minute major with no suspension when you have two players most definitely targeting each other's head.

So is the NHL serious about the concussion issue or not?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Fighting isn't hockey, it's fighting. It wouldn't be nearly as dangerous except for the rock hard ice that guys hit their heads on. There's really not a choice here. You can't fight with visors on, visors are becoming required, and you can't take your helmet off to fight. So fighting just needs to go away.

The problem with making fighting a game misconduct or ejection is that the people who will be getting ejected or suspended are the fighters. The skill guys would be even less prone to fighting.

I think the better way to do it is to make it a fine for the player, team, and coach after a number of violations. Like fining Ron Rolston for sending John Scott after Phil Kessel. If you're going to send a couple goons on the ice to fight, that's a fine for the coach, and after a number of violations, suspend the coach.

Right now fighting is part of the NHL and part of the culture, but that can be changed. It's not part of the game. When I go play shinny, we aren't fighting. Little kids aren't fighting. Does that mean they aren't playing hockey? There's no fighting in high school or college hockey. Are they playing a different sport? How do they police themselves? They don't have to.

What it will require is more diligence by the department of player safety. They will have to review incidents by cheap shotters and levy fines and suspensions. That's fine. Those aren't part of hockey. Slew footing, elbows, dirty hits aren't part of hockey. The answer is fines and suspensions, not sending two goons completely unrelated to the incident on ice to fight.

This is just the road that must be traveled. Until we know more about concussions, you can't put players lives at risk. Obviously they know what they are getting into, but we can't keep enabling it. People get paid millions of dollars to box and fight in UFC and then they pay for it down the road. That doesn't make it right.

I just feel like it's something hockey must do and lead by example from the NHL, much like acceptance of different ethnicities, backgrounds, and sexual preferences.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Dampland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Fighting isn't hockey, it's fighting. It wouldn't be nearly as dangerous except for the rock hard ice that guys hit their heads on. There's really not a choice here. You can't fight with visors on, visors are becoming required, and you can't take your helmet off to fight. So fighting just needs to go away.

The problem with making fighting a game misconduct or ejection is that the people who will be getting ejected or suspended are the fighters. The skill guys would be even less prone to fighting.

I think the better way to do it is to make it a fine for the player, team, and coach after a number of violations. Like fining Ron Rolston for sending John Scott after Phil Kessel. If you're going to send a couple goons on the ice to fight, that's a fine for the coach, and after a number of violations, suspend the coach.

Right now fighting is part of the NHL and part of the culture, but that can be changed. It's not part of the game. When I go play shinny, we aren't fighting. Little kids aren't fighting. Does that mean they aren't playing hockey? There's no fighting in high school or college hockey. Are they playing a different sport? How do they police themselves? They don't have to.

What it will require is more diligence by the department of player safety. They will have to review incidents by cheap shotters and levy fines and suspensions. That's fine. Those aren't part of hockey. Slew footing, elbows, dirty hits aren't part of hockey. The answer is fines and suspensions, not sending two goons completely unrelated to the incident on ice to fight.

This is just the road that must be traveled. Until we know more about concussions, you can't put players lives at risk. Obviously they know what they are getting into, but we can't keep enabling it. People get paid millions of dollars to box and fight in UFC and then they pay for it down the road. That doesn't make it right.

I just feel like it's something hockey must do and lead by example from the NHL, much like acceptance of different ethnicities, backgrounds, and sexual preferences.
I agree with most of this. (Except Kessel should have been suspended a lot worse for his lumberjack swings)

I believe that any staged fights should result in a 5+10, and following the OHL's lead, if I guy gets 10 fighting majors in a season, he gets a suspension... say 10 games. And another 10 games for each fight after that.

The instigator (aka the "burrows gets to be a little *****") rule needs to go away. I have NEVER heard a positive word about it, and NEVER seen during a game that it helped the game in any way.

High-Sticking, Slashing, Elbowing and any penalties focusing on the head, need to result in higher penalties. I think it is an absolute joke that Kessel only got "preseason games suspension" for his two handed slashes against the back of John Scott's legs. Even more despicable is that Scott was tied up with other players when Kessel did this. I feel Kessel's actions were the WORST of anything that happened this preseason, and he deserved a minimum 10 game suspension in the regular season. He 100% was attempting to injure, and those penalties need to be severely punished.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Victorious Secret
EVERYBODY PANIC

vCash: 50
I think fighting is a part of the game. But there is a fine line between fighting for someone's safety and fighting for vanity. I'm sick of seeing guys start fights because of a hard, clean hit and for set up pretend fights after a faceoff. There is a time to fight, and a time to not. Game misconducts for fights immediately after a faceoff. Also, you have to keep your helmet on, but somehow make it so the visors come off. Or have them go to the bench to get their fighting helmets on. Only reason people are taking their helmets off are because they don't want to hit visor.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:16 PM
FVM
To space and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
(Whole post)
Agree 100%. Well put, sir.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote