HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The all about Yakupov thread [Mod Warning Post #688]

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2013, 01:30 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm so glad that the Hall/Seguin debate is over. Now we get to move on to Habs fans claiming Galchenyuk is way better than Yakupov! The worst part about drafting 1st overall, is there's always one team that claims their guy is better regardless of their play.

Is Galchenyuk better defensively? Sure. But Yakupov is a better skater, much more physical, has a much better shot, and is one of the most determined/hard working people in the entire league. Sure, he has his flaws, but people need to quit acting like he's some plug

Old
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
tjcurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm so glad that the Hall/Seguin debate is over. Now we get to move on to Habs fans claiming Galchenyuk is way better than Yakupov! The worst part about drafting 1st overall, is there's always one team that claims their guy is better regardless of their play.

Is Galchenyuk better defensively? Sure. But Yakupov is a better skater, much more physical, has a much better shot, and is one of the most determined/hard working people in the entire league. Sure, he has his flaws, but people need to quit acting like he's some plug
I never went through the entire thread so I don't know what everyone else is saying, but just because I'd deal him for Schenn and Schenn, and I also think Galchenyuk is better (I thought you guys shoulda taken him in the draft too), doesn't mean I think Yakupov is a plug.

I hear lots of oiler fans (and I know because I live just outside of the city) hyping him as the next Bure or Ovechkin. He's not on that level at all.

And all those skill sets you mention he has (better shot, skating, etc) they don't necessarily = better player. Not at all. How many guys could shoot, skate, and hit better than Gretzky? Lots.

Not only do I think Galchenyuk is the better player, for you guys (and typically league wide) he'd be much more of a need than a one dimensional winger.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 10-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
10-06-2013, 01:42 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:

Not only is Galchenyuk defensively responsible but he makes players around him better. Yakupov at this stage is one dimensional and a liability when he does not have the puck. As for physically, Galy has the larger frame and is stronger on the boards / wins more battles.

Yakupov vs Galchenyuk is merited. But the Habs would never trade Galy for Yak straight up. I believe that a large contingent of Oiler fans would draft Galy 1st overall if they had a do-over. Galy satisfies more of a need than Yak from an Oiler team needs POV.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I do this in a heartbeat if I'm Edmonton.
You're obviously not an oilers fan and should never join our old boys club.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
LotteryForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Ahahahaha

Start with Galchenyuk and we'll talk....maybe
Galchenyuk is better than YakuBust

Old
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Leafs in 7

Morgan Rielly + James Reimer for Nail Yakupov

Old
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:

Habs' fans are unanimous in one conclusion: Galcheyuk fits our team better. Galchenyuk is a complete player: highly skill, enthusiastic hard working player with a good head on his shoulder. The most important thing is he is working hard on both sheets of the ice. Regarding the claim that only Habs' fans favored Galchenyuk over Yakupov, you are completely wrong. I have read quite a few thread regarding Galchenyuk vs Yakupov and a lot of fans from other fanbases like Galchenyuk better than Yakupov.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:08 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
You're obviously not an oilers fan and should never join our old boys club.
I am not. Not being biased here though, I'm not a Habs fan either.

And I was kicked out of the old boys club a while ago.

The only way you take the sniping winger ahead of the top center is if the winger is ie Brett Hull; Mike Bossy; Pavel Bure; Guy Lafleur; Teemu Selanne; etc. Of course, you can't completely generalize like that. You look at each case separately. And in this case, I don't at all put Yakupov on the level of the above mentioned, and I really like Galchenyuk's game. That's me. But honestly like JustAHabFan says, I think a lot of people would agree.

It is early though so nothing is a guarantee. Just basing it off of what they are now, what they've shown, and what typically is more valuable to a team.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 10-06-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Galchenyuk is better than YakuBust
Who led all rookies last year in goals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I am not. Not being biased here though, I'm not a Habs fan either.

And I was kicked out of the old boys club a while ago.
Thank goodness or the team would be worse then it is right now.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Who led all rookies last year in goals?

Yeah okay. That you K-Lowe?

Can't wait for Yakupov to rattle off 10 straight Rocket Richard trophies I guess.

That better?

Anyways, I've stated my stance. No need to go further. Guess we'll see what happens from here on.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Look at where the Oilers finished the last few years? Can the Oilers really be worst than it is right now?

Old
10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
TBH i don't even know if Crosby could make Smyth look good... he is the worst player in the league and he's not even an enforcer.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Look at where the Oilers finished the last few years? Can the Oilers really be worst than it is right now?
Yes, it could

Old
10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
I just don't get why people don't understand how would your team be playing if you're down your top 2 centers?

Ottawa take away Turris and Spezza
Montreal take away Plekanecs, Gionta
Vancouver take away H.Sedin and Kesler
Pittsburgh take away Crosby and Malkin
Washington take away Backstrom and Grabovski
Carolina take away E.Staal and J.Staal
Anaheim take away Geztlaf and (I don't know who there second line center is)

If you take away the centers who can take the tough match ups and replace them with AHL players you're goalie is going to have a bad time.
It just seems like there is a new excuse every year. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Would Sam Ganger and RNH in the lineup even improve the team defensively?... The Oilers lack several dependable D-men, a stud top pairing, a legit starting goalie, and quality two way forwards, plain and simple. With so many key defensive ingredients missing, how can the team honestly expect to compete? A legit #1 goalie might be able to hide some of that weakness, however Dubnyk is far from being a legit #1 at this point, so he just highlights what the team is lacking.

I bet you EDM could have acquired Schneider and a solid Dman from Van for Yakupov if they had been willing to part with one of their wingers to fill a huge weakness, however Hindsiight is 20/20 I guess. The oilers draft strategy has always been draft BPA regardless of their position, which is the best way to go about it. But after drafting so many smaller skilled offensive players you think they would deal from a strength to fill a weakness after so many poor seasons.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:40 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
It just seems like there is a new excuse every year. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Would Sam Ganger and RNH in the lineup even improve the team defensively?... The Oilers lack several dependable D-men, a stud top pairing, a legit starting goalie, and quality two way forwards, plain and simple. With so many key defensive ingredients missing, how can the team honestly expect to compete? A legit #1 goalie might be able to hide some of that weakness, however Dubnyk is far from being a legit #1 at this point, so he just highlights what the team is lacking.

I bet you EDM could have acquired Schneider and a solid Dman from Van for Yakupov if they had been willing to part with one of their wingers to fill a huge weakness, however Hindsiight is 20/20 I guess. The oilers draft strategy has always been draft BPA regardless of their position, which is the best way to go about it. But after drafting so many smaller skilled offensive players you think they would deal from a strength to fill a weakness after so many poor seasons.
1) YES, Hall has made three HORRIBLE turnovers and they all directly led to goals. So RNH and Gagner would be really helpful

2) Yakupov for Schenider is horrible asset management, Yak is worth more.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:01 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
1) YES, Hall has made three HORRIBLE turnovers and they all directly led to goals. So RNH and Gagner would be really helpful

2) Yakupov for Schenider is horrible asset management, Yak is worth more.
notice he said yak for schneider + a solid d-man

Old
10-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Zathronas

I think right now Chucky is better than Yakupov, that's not to say Yak is bad. At this point he seems more of a Ryder type than a Stamkos or Ovechkin. He needs some seasoning to learn better defensive positioning.

Doesn't mean he's a bust, far from it.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathronas View Post
I think right now Chucky is better than Yakupov, that's not to say Yak is bad. At this point he seems more of a Ryder type than a Stamkos or Ovechkin. He needs some seasoning to learn better defensive positioning.

Doesn't mean he's a bust, far from it.
Lol Ryder? Are you serious? What a joke. Yakupov is a very physical player, is near the top of the league in skating, has a much better release, and is actually a very underrated playmaker. The only similarity between Ryder and Yakupov is that they're both bad defensively, but Yakupov is 19 and defensive positioning is something that's coachable. The only reason Yakupov is struggling right now is because he's playing with Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu, two guys who've never cracked the 30 point mark in their careers. He's also been moved to the point where he doesn't belong on the PP, he should be on the right half wall. Galchenyuk at least gets to play with somewhat talented players in Eller and Gallagher.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:35 PM
mriswith

I can only see a trade happening for a stud dman, not another centre. Why trade for a better, more established player who is older when the oilers are still a #1 D and #1 goalie away from being able to compete?

The rebuild is still a ways away from being over...

Old
10-06-2013, 04:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Habs' fans are unanimous in one conclusion: Galcheyuk fits our team better. Galchenyuk is a complete player: highly skill, enthusiastic hard working player with a good head on his shoulder. The most important thing is he is working hard on both sheets of the ice. Regarding the claim that only Habs' fans favored Galchenyuk over Yakupov, you are completely wrong. I have read quite a few thread regarding Galchenyuk vs Yakupov and a lot of fans from other fanbases like Galchenyuk better than Yakupov.
I never said only Habs fans prefer Galchenyuk. Much like the Hall/Seguin debate, people love to crap on anything to do with the Oilers. I simply pointed out that Habs fans love to claim that Galchenyuk is better. We prefer Yakupov, you prefer Galchenyuk. Great. That's no reason for people to keep claiming that Galchenyuk is some stud and Yak is a bust

Old
10-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Yakupov's situation reminds me of what happened to Martin Havlat in Ottawa. Depth at the right wing while the two guys in front of him, for Havlat it was Hossa and Alfredsson, play better two way games so he gets to opportunity to play with less quality linemates because the team thinks he can do stuff "by himself."

Some players can produce without help but they can always do more with help.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:45 PM
SnapVirus

Yakupov is worth a good centerman but Oilers fans should lower their expectations. Hes no stamkos, kane, crosby or backstrom.

Oilers fan think hes top20 in the NHL.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yakupov is worth a good centerman but Oilers fans should lower their expectations. Hes no stamkos, kane, crosby or backstrom.

Oilers fan think hes top20 in the NHL.
Uhmm we do not, so you're flat out wrong.

And our expectations are high BECAUSE WE HAPPEN TO REALLY LIKE OUR RECENT FIRST OVERALL SELECTION WHO HAS BEEN AS GOOD AS EXPECTED AND IF WE WERE TO MOVE HIM WOULD REQUIRE AN OVERPAYMENT Geez people of other fanbases please understand this.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:33 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Uhmm we do not, so you're flat out wrong.

And our expectations are high BECAUSE WE HAPPEN TO REALLY LIKE OUR RECENT FIRST OVERALL SELECTION WHO HAS BEEN AS GOOD AS EXPECTED AND IF WE WERE TO MOVE HIM WOULD REQUIRE AN OVERPAYMENT Geez people of other fanbases please understand this.
Oil fan started it by asking for a 2nd line center.... Mat ****en Stajan is a second line center.....

Old
10-06-2013, 06:39 PM
ResilientBeast
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Oil fan started it by asking for a 2nd line center.... Mat ****en Stajan is a second line center.....
Because this devolved to telling us how great Gally is, and how worthless and Yak is, how he's a bust and not worth what we're asking.

Closed Thread