HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1: New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes 10-3-13 | 7PM MST

Old
10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Awesome game! A big minus to the new concessions however. Bad food, card machines went down early and the beer selection has been further reduced.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:10 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnaz View Post
Before I left to go the game around 4:30 there were about 60 tickets in the upper deck and about 700 in the lower deck still on Ticketmaster. There were also about 400 unsold seats on Stubhub but those still count in attendance as they were paid for.
No doubt the tickets were sold, just wondering where everyone was? Seemed as though a couple of thousand seats still had their free T-shirts still draped over their backs.

mesamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
PhoPhan

Some thoughts:

Smith looked fantastic. The team left him out to dry a few times, but he made some gigantic saves when he was called upon. He said himself that he didn't feel physically ready and had to compensate mentally, and I think he rose to the occasion. I forgot how much I love having a goalie who can puckhandle like that. It stifled the Rangers all night.

Rundblad stood out. He had some lapses on defense, but nothing you wouldn't see from Yandle or Schlemko from time to time, and it's obvious how far he's come in his own end. He's doing a lot of the little things right, too, and all without sacrificing any of his offensive ability. I don't think he's an everyday player quite yet (which is a function of depth as much as anything else), but he's damn close.

Ribeiro's skill was apparent, especially on the powerplay, but it's clear he doesn't have any chemistry with Doan or Boedker yet. Each forward on that line played fine all night, but the whole was less than the sum of its parts. That said, I expect it's just a matter of time before they start clicking. I'm remembering how long it took the team to get accustomed to Smith's puckhandling skill, and I think we're looking at the same thing here. Neither Doan nor Boedker has ever played with a forward like this (at least outside of international play), so it takes some getting used to.

I'm not as patient with Korpikoski. He didn't seem to fit on the line with Hanzal and Vrbata, but he's had several years to acclimatize. If it hasn't happened yet, I don't know when it will. Still, it's only the first game, and Vrbata and Hanzal didn't even seem to have the same chemistry they usually do (despite Vrbata's hat trick). I'm willing to to give it a little time, but I suspect we see a new wing on that line sooner than later.

It remains to be seen whether Lessio has long term top six upside, but he's already a terrific bottom six player. He was super involved on every shift. The Lessio-Vermette-Moss trio has the potential to be a dominant third line. Big, fast and skilled.

The fourth line was excellent, too, and Brown seems to be relishing his role down there, but I hope they give him room to develop his offense a bit.

The powerplay looked actually functional for the first time in a long time, but there were a number of times where it looked like everybody was just standing around waiting for someone else to make something happen. Good powerplays always have movement, and with a unit that includes Ribeiro, Rundblad and OEL, there's no reason for anyone to be flatfooted.

I loved how aggressive the penalty kill looked. That may have been the highlight of the night for me. Not only did they make the Rangers look anemic, but they generated a number of chances on their own.

Overall, the team looked more like the 11-12 team that won the division than last year's iteration. There are obviously some early season jitters to work out, but on the whole, they looked a lot more confident and poised. It felt like they had the win wrapped up before they even scored their first goal. The 2011-12 season was the only one where I felt that consistently. In other years under Tippett, a one-goal lead always feels tenuous. Last night, it felt insurmountable.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
0point1
Placeholder Message

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
The sombrero trick for Vrby.

From azcentral.
Haha awesome, somehow I missed this, it is better than I imagined. I would love to see more sombreros at the games.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Dirty Old Man
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
No doubt the tickets were sold, just wondering where everyone was? Seemed as though a couple of thousand seats still had their free T-shirts still draped over their backs.
(Still trying to accentuate the negative, I see, as is your wont. )

It was for sure a late arriving crowd - *definitely* more crowded at the end of the 2nd than at the opening faceoff... and a couple of times I heard "mumble mumble traffic on the 10 mumble mumble". Got the impression something unusual even for the Papago Fwy happened but haven't heard or read anything official.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

It was for sure a late arriving crowd - *definitely* more crowded at the end of the 2nd than at the opening faceoff... and a couple of times I heard "mumble mumble traffic on the 10 mumble mumble". Got the impression something unusual even for the Papago Fwy happened but haven't heard or read anything official.
I've been driving to games from Chandler for the past 5 years and the 10 was as bad last night as I'd ever seen it.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:34 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
I've been driving to games from Chandler for the past 5 years and the 10 was as bad last night as I'd ever seen it.
We took Glendale Ave & it was smooth sailing but we still got there too late to eat at the Yardhouse - I didn't want to wait an hour for a table. Waited half an hour and then went to Shanes (which was pretty empty at 5:30). I also saw they have a Buffalo Wild Wings now (sorta between where the Yardhouse is and where Shane's is)which was very busy at 5:30.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:37 PM
mitch27

I haven't read through the whole thread but here's my thought about the game:

OEL is a stud. Enough said.

Rundblad played really well. With him and Ribeiro our power play looks deadly.

I thought Korpikoski played really well. Especially on the penalty kill.

That fourth line played awesome. Lots of energy and even created quite a few chances. But I never want to see Chris Brown fight in the NHL again. rt, you couldn't have been more right about his fighting ability. He has none.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
hbk

Pretty much a perfect game. We out worked the Rangers and played a stifling Defense; even with Rundblad and Yandle on the roster.

Love the size and increased talent level. We are now an extremely difficult team to play and I love it. Great game. Great coaching.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:57 PM
mitch27

I thought Rundblad was decent enough in his own zone. Lessio played really well too.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

I thought what Nash had to say about Gordon and the PK was interesting. Gordon wanted five goalies out there blocking shots. Hanzal, Korpikoski, Vermette and Moss want to be more aggressive. Seemed to work last night. Hope it keeps up. It was impressive.

10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I thought what Nash had to say about Gordon and the PK was interesting. Gordon wanted five goalies out there blocking shots. Hanzal, Korpikoski, Vermette and Moss want to be more aggressive. Seemed to work last night. Hope it keeps up. It was impressive.
I like aggressive penalty kills. If you have speedy players, which we do, it's the most effective way to do it. I think we had more chances shorthanded than the Rangers did on the power play. If you don't give the other team any time they are more prone to make mistakes.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm not as patient with Korpikoski. .........I'm willing to to give it a little time, but I suspect we see a new wing on that line sooner than later.

Problem is I don't think anything internally is a better fit than Korpi. So I think we just end up carrying it this way for at least a couple months.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
ScottsdaleYote

Quote:
I was in south scottsdale and debated between going I 10 or going the longer route up and around the 101...luckily I chose the 101. With the HOV lane it was a smooth ride.

ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Did I hear them say during the broacast that Lessios parents were Claudio and Claudia?

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
hbk

Quote:
Did Edmonton realize how horrific our PK was last year with Gordon. Yes he wins face offs but his presence doesn't guarantee a successful PK.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Problem is I don't think anything internally is a better fit than Korpi. So I think we just end up carrying it this way for at least a couple months.
I mostly agree, though I'd love to try a few other guys there, too. We've got a handful of playmakers (namely Boedker) and a bunch of guys who can drive to the net like a bull (and it seems like Vrbata scores a lot on those sneaky shots through a lot of traffic).

At any rate, I expect the best wing who will play on that line this year isn't on the team yet.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:49 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Boedker is the better fit for that line than Korpi, but obviously they're going to see if he can pop off 20-25 goals being Ribeiro's LW on the first line. So yes, minus Boedker, Korpi is the best fit for the Czechs. We'll see what happens.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
steppin' into the

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Boedker is the better fit for that line than Korpi, but obviously they're going to see if he can pop off 20-25 goals being Ribeiro's LW on the first line. So yes, minus Boedker, Korpi is the best fit for the Czechs. We'll see what happens.
I'm not convinced Boedker is a better fit there, but even if he is that doesn't really solve much of anything because then we'd have Korpi on the Ribeiro line. Same difference.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Shepard

Quote:
So does that mean Gordon was our PK coach?

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:47 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
I'm not convinced Boedker is a better fit there, but even if he is that doesn't really solve much of anything because then we'd have Korpi on the Ribeiro line. Same difference.
Boedker was producing early on last season when he was paired with Hanzal and Vrbata. But I'd rather have Boedker on the first line than Korpi.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
I was in south scottsdale and debated between going I 10 or going the longer route up and around the 101...luckily I chose the 101. With the HOV lane it was a smooth ride.
There were two accidents on the I10 near downtown and both happened right in the middle of rush hour. According to google maps they weren't scheduled to be completely cleaned up until 6:30 and 6:45 respectively. I ended up just taking surface streets as a result.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Ethereal Whisper
Paranoid Princess

vCash: 464
Not sure if it's an option for some people but coming from the east valley to games, I take the I-10 truck route and bypass downtown with the 202/51 junction and tunnel. The speed limit is slower on that route but with traffic it doesn't make a big difference.

I left work yesterday (48th and Baseline in south Phoenix) at 4:10 and made it to Camelback and 91st (where I stopped to eat) around 5:15 or so.

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
Not sure if it's an option for some people but coming from the east valley to games, I take the I-10 truck route and bypass downtown with the 202/51 junction and tunnel. The speed limit is slower on that route but with traffic it doesn't make a big difference.

I left work yesterday (48th and Baseline in south Phoenix) at 4:10 and made it to Camelback and 91st (where I stopped to eat) around 5:15 or so.
fyi...that's actually the I-17 truck route but yeah, it's a good option if you're coming from that direction.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:55 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Some people just don't care for them (wrong size etc)... and some Rangers fans may not care for them either (except for burning ).

FSN Arizona cameras caught one guy late in the game in his seat with about 7 or 8 of them trying to tuck them all under his jacket.

TheLegend is online now   Reply With Quote