HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Chainsaw

vCash: 500
Goalie Prospects

Niittymaki got a shut out in preseason play. Tremblay is doing well i read on another thread. Info on Malek would be nice? any more updates would be appreciated!

Old
09-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
Niittymaki got a shut out in preseason play. Tremblay is doing well i read on another thread. Info on Malek would be nice? any more updates would be appreciated!
About Malek, all that we know is that he will play another year in Czech Republic...I thought Clarkie wanted to bring him in Philly to check his abilities but finally he didn't...But this guy seems sooooo talented that it would be an error not to see him play next summer. our "savior" could be this man...

Old
09-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
our "savior" could be this man...
I wouldn't go that far... He may be good, but I don't like his attitude about where he plays and what his role is. Not to mention that his style is akin to another Roman that has been shown the door because of his inconsistencies and unpredictable nature. If Esche shows he can be a starter during this season, great. If not, then Nittymakki will get his shot, and then Tremblay and so on and so forth. In the new economic landscape of the NHL, an elite goalie could come available as well in the next few years.
I'd be very skeptical of placing a "saviour" tag on a guy who refuses to play in North America as anything less than a starter.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:38 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
He may be good, but I don't like his attitude about where he plays and what his role is.
what attitude? he just wanted a chance to compete for the starting goaltender and with Esche/Hackett, that probably wasn't going to happen. he just felt that he would be better off staying in the Czech league one more year and see what happens next season. it's alot to uproot your family to just end up playing for the farm team. plus the Czech league is probably better or comparable to the AHL. so why move?

Old
09-29-2003, 06:28 PM
fararden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
what attitude? he just wanted a chance to compete for the starting goaltender and with Esche/Hackett, that probably wasn't going to happen. he just felt that he would be better off staying in the Czech league one more year and see what happens next season. it's alot to uproot your family to just end up playing for the farm team. plus the Czech league is probably better or comparable to the AHL. so why move?

Not to mention that he would have earned less as a Phantom than he will earn on Slavia...

Old
09-30-2003, 02:41 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
I'd be very skeptical of placing a "saviour" tag on a guy who refuses to play in North America as anything less than a starter.
Where do people get this crap? I have been reading this all summer and have yet to find someone who will post a link where it says that Malek refused to play unless he was made the starter. He didn't want a 2 way contract, and probably there was some disagreement on how much money he should get. Post a link where he or his agent claim they aren't interested in playing as backup, or stop spreading this stupid internet rumor.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
He didn't want a 2 way contract, and probably there was some disagreement on how much money he should get. Post a link where he or his agent claim they aren't interested in playing as backup, or stop spreading this stupid internet rumor.
He didn't want a 2-way contract. 'Nuff said. Why would we gift wrap the starter's role for a guy we haven't seen hide nor hair of? Sure, he might be good over in Europe, but the North American game is very different. I wouldn't want him learning on the job in the NHL either. Why wouldn't he even come to camp on a try-out deal? If he at least showed up, he would have been given the opportunity to pitch himself as a candidate for the starters job. I mean, even as an AHLer, he'd be splitting time with Antero as starter, probably even getting a lion's share of the starts. Not to mention the fact that in an injury circumstance, he would most likely get a call-up to show if he's ready for the NHL or not.
I think we're better off without another Roman on our hands. If Malek doesn't want to grace us with his presence, I say we're better off without "his majesty".

Closed Thread