HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News), Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2013, 02:02 PM
  #76
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.
No one wants to burn people at the stake.

Quote:
As are the people who don't realize the reality that a) something had to budge with the Devils' personnel and b) Urbom isn't that valuable.
No one is disputing A.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
  #77
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sign Tallinder!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 54,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
What if he is Mark Fayne good?
The he would have been a healthy scratch on Pete Dumbeor's team anyway.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
  #78
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Curious - if Alex Urbom were to enter next year's draft, which round does he go?

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #79
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 34,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
What if he is Mark Fayne good?
Considering the Devils themselves don't think the 'current' version of Fayne's that valuable I'll be more annoyed over giving up on the orignal Fayne than Urbom before he became good enough to be a healthy scratch on our team.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  #80
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik
 
JerryGigantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
He's not a nothing prospect. He's a big guy who can skate and move the puck and is decent defensively. For a defensemen that's a terrific combination of skills. Is he ever going to be more than a complementary defenseman? Probably not. But he's still got second pairing upside.

You don't lose defensemen with that kind of skillset for nothing. Granted, in trade we probably couldn't have gotten too much, but I'll bet you he solidifies himself in the lineup and demonstrates that he can do Salvador's job as least as well as Salvador can by the time this season is over.
Not losing my mind over this, as we all knew it was a possibility. And never been too high on Urbom from when he first arrived out of shape.

But I agree with CD. He has a decent skill set and size. Defensemen take more time to develop. So with NHL experience, he could well become a valuable piece. Saying he is a "nothing prospect" is entirely premature and short sighted.

JerryGigantic is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:06 PM
  #81
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 45,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
It's the internet. Accountability is a non-existent concept 99.9% of the time. If 5 years from now Urbom is in the Caps second pairing having success, those who are burying him at age 22 won't hold themselves accountable for anything.

All will be forgotten.
we'll see how people own up to certain things come April.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:08 PM
  #82
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
we'll see how people own up to certain things come April.
Did you drop your keyboard and walk away after you typed that?

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  #83
KaossKing
Pacing Well
 
KaossKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,998
vCash: 500
the funny thing is when I said id be shocked if noone claimed him, then when the mainboard posted about him being waived, loads of fans wanted their team to take him..... and he was taken

but every team in the league has dime a dozen prospects like that, right?

KaossKing is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  #84
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 45,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
the funny thing is when I said id be shocked if noone claimed him, then when the mainboard posted about him being waived, loads of fans wanted their team to take him..... and he was taken

but every team in the league has dime a dozen prospects like that, right?
people say things all the day on the main board (and here, for that matter) that are pretty ridiculous so that isn't the best argument....

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  #85
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Did you drop your keyboard and walk away after you typed that?
Boom mic drop

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:19 PM
  #86
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.

As are the people who don't realize the reality that a) something had to budge with the Devils' personnel and b) Urbom isn't that valuable.

Mark Fraser stinks, by the way.
This is ridiculous. What the hell does "Urbom isn't that valuable." mean? If he turns out to be a second pairing dman that's valuable. You don't have to be accountable for having a modest opinion or making a prediction, but sarcastically making fun of others or loudly shouting something and claiming others are morons for feeling the opposite of you requires accountability.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:20 PM
  #87
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Lol why should anyone have to be accountable for voicing their opinion in an online forum? That's taking things a bit too seriously.

.
I think the concern is when people are so confident in their opinions that they become dismissive of other opinions. But then don't face the music when their opinion turns out totally wrong.

Now what does "facing the music" mean? I dunno, pushups maybe?

devilsblood is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #88
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 45,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I think the concern is when people are so confident in their opinions that they become dismissive of other opinions. But then don't face the music when their opinion turns out totally wrong.

Now what does "facing the music" mean? I dunno, pushups maybe?
I have said that I have been wrong plenty of times on here. Even today, I said I was wrong thinking Urbom wouldn't get claimed. But him getting claimed does not change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the NHL.

I also have bets with people on this board to help out with accountability because I totally agree, people here try to say ridiculous things sometimes with nothing to back it up.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #89
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I think the concern is when people are so confident in their opinions that they become dismissive of other opinions. But then don't face the music when their opinion turns out totally wrong.

Now what does "facing the music" mean? I dunno, pushups maybe?
This x100.

"My opinion is right and your opinion is so wrong it's ridiculous. As a matter of fact, every other person who agrees with your ridiculous opinion is equally ridiculous."

Like if the conversation is about the sky being blue.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #90
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
This is ridiculous. What the hell does "Urbom isn't that valuable." mean? If he turns out to be a second pairing dman that's valuable. .
Well what if all we could have gotten for Urbom right now is a 5th rnd pick. I'd say that that is not very valuable.

Could Lou have gotten more in return? Say a 4th or 3rd rnder? Obviously that would be more valuable.

devilsblood is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  #91
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,082
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
the funny thing is when I said id be shocked if noone claimed him, then when the mainboard posted about him being waived, loads of fans wanted their team to take him..... and he was taken

but every team in the league has dime a dozen prospects like that, right?
Of course they do. NHL-readiness has nothing to do with skill, which is probably the biggest misconception on HFBoards.

Remember when we waived Jay Leach and Montreal claimed him? Does that mean Jay Leach isn't a dime-a-dozen player as well?

AfroThunder396 is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
  #92
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut;71935049[B
]I have said that I have been wrong plenty of times on here. Even today, I said I was wrong thinking Urbom wouldn't get claimed.[/B] But him getting claimed does not change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the NHL.

I also have bets with people on this board to help out with accountability because I totally agree, people here try to say ridiculous things sometimes with nothing to back it up.
Before: Urbom won't get claimed because he's nothing special.
After: Well I was wrong he wouldn't get claimed. So what! It doesn't mean he's going to be any good!

"Accountability."

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
  #93
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Well what if all we could have gotten for Urbom right now is a 5th rnd pick. I'd say that that is not very valuable.

Could Lou have gotten more in return? Say a 4th or 3rd rnder? Obviously that would be more valuable.
If Urbom were to enter the draft this coming year I believe he'd be far more than a 5th round selection. Probably top 3 rounds.

We're talking about a 22 year old, 6'5 kid ready to play in your third pairing now.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:27 PM
  #94
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 45,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Before: Urbom won't get claimed because he's nothing special.
After: Well I was wrong he wouldn't get claimed. So what! It doesn't mean he's going to be any good!

"Accountability."
as you like to say, the 2 are not related.

the fact that he DID get claimed does NOT make him a good player.

again, can't wait for April 13th.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
  #95
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 45,907
vCash: 500
WHY WHY WHYYYY are you talking about Urbom entering the draft next year? what in GODS CREATION does that have to do with anything?

so you're saying that a 23 year old would be more highly regarded than kids in high school? YOU DON'T SAY?!?!

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:29 PM
  #96
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,181
vCash: 500
Im excited to see how the lokti bet goes.

Hopefully mod enforced

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
  #97
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,082
vCash: 835
I don't understand this false narrative that getting claimed off waivers makes you a good player.

Is Sheldon Brookbank also a good player? Jay Leach? Tom Kostopoulos?

The only positive waiver wire pickup I can remember for us has been Ryan Carter.

Let's not forget 19 teams passed on Urbom before Washington put in a claim at 20th.

AfroThunder396 is online now  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:31 PM
  #98
OmNomNom
A Hall New World
 
OmNomNom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montville, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,845
vCash: 500
it's all about how you type your opinions out.

it's okay if you think a player won't amount to anything, especially if you back-up your reasoning, but saying very definitive statements about a player, like "they'll definitely succeed" or "it doesn't change the fact that he is likely never going to amount to anything in the nhl" might rub people the wrong way, even if you are blatantly saying that you're stating your opinion. the fact of the matter is, no one knows what's going to happen with a player in terms of skill. a promising prospect could totally suck after 2 amazing seasons (fingers crossed that isn't our favorite #14), or a total scrub from the AHL could blow up in his first season in the big leagues

you never know

OmNomNom is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:32 PM
  #99
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
as you like to say, the 2 are not related.

the fact that he DID get claimed does NOT make him a good player.
I guess I'm the only one who sees how you saying "I'm wrong but I'm not wrong" isn't admitting you're wrong about anything.

You said that he would clear waivers because he's nothing special. Now all of a sudden you're saying, while he got claimed, it doesn't mean he's nothing special!

I do agree with your ultimate conclusion (just because someone gets claimed doesn't mean they're special). However I can totally see down the line if he has a good year you saying "Just because he had one good year doesn't mean he's going to be anything special" in April.

Quote:
again, can't wait for April 13th.
"I can't wait until i win this bet so I don't have to here your ridiculous opinions because mine are the only ones worth discussing."

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
10-03-2013, 02:33 PM
  #100
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
If Urbom were to enter the draft this coming year I believe he'd be far more than a 5th round selection. Probably top 3 rounds.

We're talking about a 22 year old, 6'5 kid ready to play in your third pairing now.
I sure hope Lou threw the line in the water to see what teams were willing to offer for Urbom. And if a 3rd rnder was on the table, then Lou made a significant mistake in not making that deal.

I think the mistake would have been clear enough, that I don't think the scenario played out like that.

devilsblood is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.