HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Staff Discussion: Summer Rehab Edition

Old
05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Master Shake

vCash: 500
Coaching Staff Discussion: Summer Rehab Edition

I'm sick of watching this team revert to shrinking violets incapable of aggressive checking. Every year it's the same old story and we end up playing back on our heels while other inferior team's have their way with us in all zones on the ice.

We made two SCF's by making other teams defensemen eat the glass over and over and over.

I've given Bylsma the benefit of doubt for 3years. No more. Our biggest problem is clearly the head coach

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
If we don't get to at least the ECF then he'll be gone.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
plaidchuck

Yes, because we are down 3-1 this series... err? Yeah I know 4 goals against two straight games isn't kosher, but hey you can lead a horse to water..

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

After game 6 in Philadelphia last year, I said it was time for Bylsma to be held accountable for it. 3 straight series losses to lower seeded opponents - we better win this one.

Gold Diamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Fire him regardless. But that won't happen.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
plaidchuck

The players need to be held more accountable IMO. We're not exactly talking about a bunch of spring chickens and AHL rookies here. If they can't "get to their game" from within then nobody else is going to make them do it.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Basically this. We have to get out of the 2nd round or I want him booted.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Diamond View Post
After game 6 in Philadelphia last year, I said it was time for Bylsma to be held accountable for it. 3 straight series losses to lower seeded opponents - we better win this one.
We are only up because our talent is so much better. We are lucky to be up. The isles are kicking our *****. If we were playing a good team we would be preparing for the off-season

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:31 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
If we don't get to at least the ECF then yes..can him. Hell even if we lost in the Finals, get rid of him.

HCDB reminds me of BBQ Bruce with the Caps, coach of a juggernaut in the regular season, then come the playoffs he's total ass when it matters most.

Sure he coached us to a Cup back in '09 but that was 4 years ago. Time to stop living in the past.

What pisses me off is that under Disco can we string together these 10-15 game streaks in the regular season and we've done that for what...the last 3 years??? But can we do that or even pull off a 5 game win streak come the playoffs??? Nope.

Sure we swept the Canes during our Cup run, but that was more because of Geno and not Bylsma IMO.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:31 PM
cheesedanish87

I think DB stays no matter how they do, you don't fire coaches who finish 1st in the conference, btw if DB ever got fired it would take him about 5 mins to get another head coaching job.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:37 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I think DB stays no matter how they do, you don't fire coaches who finish 1st in the conference, btw if DB ever got fired it would take him about 5 mins to get another head coaching job.
Yeap agreed. Just look at the Sharks in the 2000s.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:39 PM
LGP6687

I think he's too nice when it comes time to light a fire under the player's *****. It seems like it can't penetrate his thick skull that playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey, and you have to prepare and adjust.

You'd think since he has been through it before, he'd know that. Instead he's wasting one of the best corps of players the Penguins have had in a long time.

You can't win if you can't properly utilize the tools you have, and get them to work properly together.

LGP6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:41 PM
gordie

I suspect he gets the axe if they don't win at least two rounds, beyond that I highly doubt he gets fired losing in the Conferences or Final.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
This is my sentiment as well. With this roster expectations have to be high.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Let's wait and see how the rest of the playoffs play out before the doom and gloom threads begin. I don't know who everyone thinks we'll get to coach this team if they get rid of Bylsma......Que the "anyone would be better" yinzer response.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Will Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
We are only up because our talent is so much better. We are lucky to be up. The isles are kicking our *****. If we were playing a good team we would be preparing for the off-season
The Isles ARE a good team! Or you donīt see it?

Please folks, I completely understand all of the bashing to our team, because itīs well deserved, but please.. STOP CALLING THE ISLES AN INFERIOR TEAM! Because they are playing tremendous hockey right now. They were playing it all the second half of the regular season and deservingly were the team with best puck possession in the league, with best shots ratio in the league and with one of the best records in the league in 2nd half of the RS..

As crazy as it sounds(because they are still ISLES), they are not playing like a typical 8th seed. Maybe they are the biggest test possible for us with the way they play. Soo dangerous.

Maybe Iīm the lonely case here, but if we make it out of this R1, then I think we are going very far. I just donīt know IF we make it out of this R1. Itīs one hell of a test.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:09 PM
invictus

We need better assistant coaches if he is staying.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Jaded-Fan

I hesitate to set any markers.

More important to me is How the Pens play. Does Bylsma make the adjustments that we all have talked about?

If not then he should be gone no matter what.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
The players need to be held more accountable IMO. We're not exactly talking about a bunch of spring chickens and AHL rookies here. If they can't "get to their game" from within then nobody else is going to make them do it.
Weren't people saying this before Therrien was fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I hesitate to set any markers.

More important to me is How the Pens play. Does Bylsma make the adjustments that we all have talked about?

If not then he should be gone no matter what.
As I keep saying, Jaded, what makes a coach good in my mind is that he uses everything in the proverbial arsenal-- system, adjustments, bench management, line combos, carrot/stick, etc-- to put players in the best possible position to make plays by having them play to their strengths and away from their weaknesses. From there, it's on the players and the players alone.

The curious line combos, the lack of breakout adjustments, for example, would be troubling in their own right but are exponentially more so because we've already seen Bylsma experimenting with more logical line combos and adjusting the breakout during the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
We need better assistant coaches if he is staying.
That should be beyond dispute. Twice, Bylsma had a chance to insist upon an assistant who addressed the two areas where he is weakest-- tactically and in playing the bad cop. Twice, he opted for his equivalent of McMahon's Stooges. In great part, he made this bed through those decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogelthorpe View Post
Let's wait and see how the rest of the playoffs play out before the doom and gloom threads begin. I don't know who everyone thinks we'll get to coach this team if they get rid of Bylsma......Que the "anyone would be better" yinzer response.
I'm o'k waiting. BUT, I don't think Shero would have a problem finding a coach in the event that he ends up needing one. Quite the contrary.

Last edited by KIRK: 05-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Jacob

It depends in what fashion they lose. But, if it's anything like what's currently happening, where the team is basically beating itself by refusing to adjust its gameplan, then yes he should be replaced if a suitable replacement can be found. And NOT Lindy Ruff.

I'd consider Guy Boucher, John Hynes or Larry Robinson. Probably nobody else.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:16 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Weren't people saying this before Therrien was fired?

As I keep saying, Jaded, what makes a coach good in my mind is that he uses everything in the proverbial arsenal-- system, adjustments, bench management, line combos, carrot/stick, etc-- to put players in the best possible position to make plays by having them play to their strengths and away from their weaknesses. From there, it's on the players and the players alone.

The curious line combos, the lack of breakout adjustments, for example, would be troubling in their own right but are exponentially more so because we've already seen Bylsma experimenting with more logical line combos and adjusting the breakout during the regular season.
But what about things like this? It basically says the onus is on the players to make this system work.

http://thehockeywriters.com/douglas-...ensive-system/

Old
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
madinsomniac

The issue with most Hockey coaches is that they aren't well rounded and they have an expiration date. run one into the ground and when the team no longer responds, get the opposite of the one you had and win Olczyk was aplayers coach and wanted to play a more forward game, Therrien was a dick and wanted to go ultra conservative, Bylsma is a players coach who wants to play 4 4th lines and be agressive on defense. Those are all generalities but yes, it is possible that a change could be made if the Isles pull off a miracle

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It depends in what fashion they lose. But, if it's anything like what's currently happening, where the team is basically beating itself by refusing to adjust its gameplan, then yes he should be replaced if a suitable replacement can be found. And NOT Lindy Ruff.

I'd consider Guy Boucher, John Hynes or Larry Robinson. Probably nobody else.
I always liked Paul Maurice.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Jacob

Yeah, forgot about him. His teams always seemed to have a good balance between defense and offense.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah, forgot about him. His teams always seemed to have a good balance between defense and offense.
And his teams were usually full of ****** players. But he found ways to win.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote