HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raise the Jolly Rogers: The Off-Season

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2013, 05:44 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
Having grown up in Pittsburgh and then moved away almost 10 years ago, Pittsburgh's sports teams really represent my ever-lasting attachment to my home town. They're my way of connecting with a city I'll likely never live in again but will always love. Because of that, I'm pretty much a fan for life of all three teams, regardless of how well they do.

I guess that makes it hard for me to understand people who pick and choose to love/hate particular teams (outside of a "I love hockey but can't stand baseball" type thing). Really, cheering for a sports team isn't exactly a job that has responsibilities or has to take up a lot of your time. So why not enjoy the successes of all our teams when they happen?

That said, thank you 2013 Buccos. It was a hell of a ride and I'm excited to see winning baseball back in the Burgh!
This pretty much describes me as well, though I have been away from the Burgh since 1980. Even though I adopted all the local teams in Miami as my own, I never stopped rooting for all the Pittsburgh team except for when the Panthers beat the Pens in the 1996 ECF. (yeah, I'd also root for local teams in regular season head to head matchups, but 1 game did not affect an entire season as that ECF did) And it was gut wrenching for me to have to choose 1 over another but the Panthers were such a great story that you could not help but root for them.

But with the Marlins being 1 sad story after another the past couple years, it brought me great joy to go back to my roots this summer. Nothing would please me more than for the Bucs to keep this up for years to come.

Old
10-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Superstar Shane

I've always been of the opinion that I can only really be a diehard fan of one team in one sport. I payed money and invested emotional energy to watch Mike Wilson and Kent Manderville try to play hockey once upon a time. I feel like I've paid my being a fan of an awful team dues. And if I want to bandwagon a little bit when it comes to the Pirates, that's what I'm going to do. At the same time, I don't fault for one second any current Penguins fans who didn't want to pay money or invest emotional energy to watch John Jakopin and Shane Endicott skate aimlessly in circles for 60 minutes a night. It's not easy being a fan of a bad team.

Old
10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
bradshaw06

Just have to hope the team doesnt take a step backwards next year like the nats did this year

Old
10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Illinest

When the rest of the league is going "all in" for Abreu (who I'd also like to have) the Pirates should be pursuing guys like Napoli and Morales. Either one would be an upgrade. Neither would require the huge commitment.

As good? No. Probably smarter for the Pirates however.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I don't see Napoli going to the NL. Given his season I'm sure the Red Sox will be more than happy to pay him, as his deal was originally supposed to be 3 years anyway.

Morales is definitely someone I'd be interested in, especially as he'd cut out the need for a platoon situation. Two things to keep in mind here, though - he's a significantly below average fielder and may be better off in the AL and he'd cost us our 1st round pick next year to sign. I don't know if I want to give up a 1st round pick to sign a ~.785 OPS first baseman at what will likely be a pretty big clip. There's your reason why Seattle didn't both trading him, I don't think too many people thought that he'd be rejecting a tender offer considering the money and his production.

If we fail to get Abreu or Morales then I'm going to say a Morneau/Sanchez platoon next year could very well be possible. Corey Hart could be a candidate, but he wants to stay in Milwaukee after missing the entire season.

Working out a trade is always an option, but I'm thinking James Loney may end up being the best option. He doesn't hit for much power, but he hits. His OPS was actually a couple points higher than Morales's this season, he also hits both sides of the plate (identical .299 batting averages this season, but considerably more power against righties). Most appealing about Loney would be the fact that he wouldn't break the bank (relatively speaking) and he wouldn't cost us a draft pick to sign. If we lose out on Abreu, Loney would be the wise signing in my opinion.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
10-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

With Oakland being eliminate from contention I've officially lost all interest in the playoffs. LAD/STL/BOS/DET??? Gag me with a spoon.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

I like Detroit but yeah, those other 3 teams are impossible to root for.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:57 PM
PensFan68

I'm still a fan of Leyland, so I'll be rooting for the Tigers the rest of the way. Just so the Cards don't win.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
With Oakland being eliminate from contention I've officially lost all interest in the playoffs. LAD/STL/BOS/DET??? Gag me with a spoon.
That's what happens when there's no hard cap. Smaller market teams don't have the same chance.

Old
10-11-2013, 02:19 PM
SteelFish87*

i wouldnt worry about the Cards. LA will destroy them just like they would have destroyed the Pirates

Old
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Superstar Shane

Even though they beat us, I really don't have much of a problem with the Cardinals. I have a pretty intense dislike for the Reds and the Brewers in our division, but the Cardinals seem likable enough. They're not all on roids like the Brewers and they don't throw at our batters every chance they get like the Reds. Maybe it's because my sister-in-law is from Missorrah and is a big Cardinals fan.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'm definitely anti-Cardinals, but I'm not sure the Dodgers will really stomp them. Beyond Grienke and Kershaw, they have weak and/or unproven pitching. Ryu is good, but it's pretty clear that the Dodgers don't trust anybody else, as evidenced by moving Kershaw up to pitch in a game that wasn't must-win. If Wacha continues in beast mode, I think the Cardinals will give them a run for their money.

The Tigers or Red Sox should probably win the World Series, but it's definitely a cluster**** in terms of who to actually root for. I guess I'm going Dodgers because of Puig and Kershaw.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Could careless about the teams left. Always left when the Pirates did. Same with the Steelers. Hockey is the only sport I could watch past the Penguins getting eliminated or not make the playoffs.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Jaded-Fan

Players and fans deserved every bit of the fun that they had.

I only hope that ownership does its part. Many here said that if the Pirates became competitive that ownership would step up and spend money. Not Yankee money but money teams like the Reds and other markets similar sized markets spend. Time for ownership to step up and make me have been wrong all these years.

Old
10-12-2013, 12:14 AM
DJ Spinoza

This is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYBP...e_gdata_player

Old
10-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Beltran with the walk off hit to win it for the Cards. That guy's a hell of a postseason player.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:33 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Grilli was at the Pearl Jam show last night. Came out when they played Whipping. I think he was well into his drink.

BTW, fans at the show were fantastic. Have to say I was very impressed with the crowd at the show. Met people from all over, I drove in from Columbus myself. But all the locals were great and super enthusiastic all night. Eddie mentioned several times how great the crowd was, and he wasn't just saying that. I've been to many where the crowd is just 'meh' and he doesn't pander to them.

Awesome poster too

10-13-2013, 12:46 AM
DJ Spinoza

Damn, Wacha outdueling Kershaw is very impressive. I really shouldn't have dropped him in my fantasy keeper league...

Old
10-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Pirates add Appalachian League affiliate.

This has been a slowly growing trend - to have two rookie-level affiliates just in case. As the article says, the effect will be minimal...but there's little downside to it. The team will take control of the Bristol White Sox, but obviously with a new Pirates name incoming.

Off-season plan for this thread - I'm thinking of leaving this thread stickied until the beginning of free agency, where news will essentially cease to a trickle until December. For any major signing/trade/news it'll be stickied briefly, and once Spring Training starts it'll be stickied full-time again.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old
10-18-2013, 05:30 PM
sniugneP

Jose Abreu just signed a deal with White Sox for 6 years and $68 millions.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:56 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Daamn. Obviously I have no idea about the guy's ability but that's a lotta money for someone who's never played in the majors.

Old
10-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Significantly above my interest range. Lots of money for a guy with so many questions about him. Considering how quickly the Pirates were to drop out of the race (as well as numerous other teams) I'm thinking our scouts weren't overly pleased with his tryouts.

James Loney would be the responsible choice...I don't think we need a huge power guy there, we just need someone who can get on base.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Baseball really is a wacky sport. Guy's never even played a game in the Majors and will make more money than Andrew McCutchen, who possibly will win the NL MVP this year and will likely win it in the future. He'll probably be pretty dang good, but still..

Old
10-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
Baseball really is a wacky sport. Guy's never even played a game in the Majors and will make more money than Andrew McCutchen, who possibly will win the NL MVP this year and will likely win it in the future. He'll probably be pretty dang good, but still..
It's really quite disgusting, isn't it?

Another thing that blows my mind is that the White Sox are perfectly willing to throw $68 million at a question mark, yet they steadfastly refuse to spend money on the draft and were the franchise that pushed the hardest for the draft cap.

Old
10-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Comparing Abreu's money to Cutch's money is apples and oranges. Cutch also cost the Pirates an early 1st round pick to acquire so how much is that worth?

The White Sox lost 0 assets in acquiring Abreu so if they have the cash to lure him over, good for them.