HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raise the Jolly Rogers: The Off-Season

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 02:06 PM
bradshaw06

vCash: 500
Wasnt he the only 1b in the system? Are they going to go with Lambo and Gaby next year?

Old
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
Wasnt he the only 1b in the system? Are they going to go with Lambo and Gaby next year?
I don't think Neal will settle with that. I think he will add 1B via free agency or trade.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:09 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I don't think Neal will settle with that. I think he will add 1B via free agency or trade.
Thats what i am thinking too. Thats a really big hole we'd have. Maybe this is part of something bigger.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Jones seemed like a decent guy. Sorry to see his time here end but it was probably time.

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to trust Huntington on this one too. I don't really follow the Pirates prospects enough to know what to think of that move. Maybe someone like Big McLargehuge will chime in. He seems to follow the team's prospects a bit.
Moving Huntington aside, this is the offseason for the Nuttings to step up and put some money in to fill in the holes. I was told by most here that when Pittsburgh had a competitive team that would be the time to see if the Nuttings would finally put some skin in the game and open the wallet on some of that $3 billion plus that they are sitting on. The last season signals that time is here. Last year was still a bottom three (out of the Pirate's pockets. As was quoted in the movie 'Major League' if someone is paying you to play AGAINST you, that says something about your worth) payroll, which has been the case for pretty much their entire ownership. If they do prove me wrong and emerge from the bottom dozen in payroll even, I will give them credit.

Old
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
There's no way in hell we're going into the season with Lambo & Gaby. I really don't think the organization thinks much of Lambo at all, to be honest. He'll get a chance in Spring Training, but if he doesn't blow the door off the wall I have a feeling he's going to be forgotten. He just reminds me a lot of a younger version of Adam Hyzdu.

We have to remember that at this point last off-season our biggest transaction was signing Felix Pie to a minor league contract. Baseball's off-season is a marathon, not a sprint...especially for a team that has to be savvy. The savvy deals are never the first deals.

edit: From the 'it must be nice' pile - your friendly neighborhood Dodgers just signed Dan Haren to $10 million with a vesting option to compete for the 5th starters job...a job he probably won't win.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
11-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I was watching the news on KDKA this morning and they showed a commercial with Anna Benson (Former Pirates pitcher Kris Benson's ex-wife) upcoming appearance on Dr. Phil this afternoon at 3pm eastern. Good lord. That chick still seems crazy based on the commercial I saw.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Thread re-stickied again as this is the season for activity, to be kicked off with free agency basically doubling in quality with the contract tending deadline being at midnight.

I don't expect any huge surprises from the Pirates here, with the biggest name to possibly be on the chopping block being Mike McKenry, which just comes down to how much are the Pirates willing to pay a third catcher, as the 29 year-old still has an option remaining and would provide a great security blanket in Indianapolis next year at his projected $900k price...but $900k is a lot to pay a guy who is projected to be in the minors and would require an injury to play above him. Mazzaro is the more interesting name to debate, but I don't think he'll be tendered as nothing he provided was invaluable this year and we already have more relievers than roster spots. He's on trade watch, and I'd honestly be pretty shocked if he's not dealt within the next 24 hours.

Free agency has been, as expected, moving at a glacial pace thus far. Most of the guys to go off the market weren't going to be on the Pirates' radar or were quickly priced out of it.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Beauner

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Adam Hyzdu.
Wow. That's a name drop and a half.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 5m
The Pirates are on the verge of acquiring catcher Chris Stewart from the Yankees.
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/stat...12296500391936

Old
12-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
What the heck are the Pirates going to do with Chris Stewart?

I'd rather have McKenry.

EDIT: I assume he makes less money than McKenry though.

12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
sniugneP

I almost thought we're getting Chris Stewart from Blues until I realize it's on Pirates thread.

According to CBSSports, backup catcher Chris Stewart is headed to Pittsburgh, as the Yankees have traded him to the Pirates for a player to be named later. He's a quality defensive backup who can't hit.

Does that mean Huntington doesn't have confidence in Tony Sanchez or is it just a depth move maybe in AAA?

Old
12-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I almost thought we're getting Chris Stewart from Blues until I realize it's on Pirates thread.

According to CBSSports, backup catcher Chris Stewart is headed to Pittsburgh, as the Yankees have traded him to the Pirates for a player to be named later. He's a quality defensive backup who can't hit.

Does that mean Huntington doesn't have confidence in Tony Sanchez or is it just a depth move maybe in AAA?
I'm hoping this isn't to block Sanchez. At best, I'm hoping it's just a cheaper depth signing for AAA (not sure if he's actually cheaper than the Fort). Definitely seems odd on the surface tho but probably (hopefully) not of much significance.

Edit: Actually, forgot he definitely has no options so means he will be the backup on the opening day roster almost definitely, which means Tony down which I don't love. Stewart is very good defensively but has 0 bat, still would have rather have seen Tony get some real time up with the big guys.

Last edited by Pick87your71Poison: 12-02-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
McKenry DFA'd.

I know he's not even that good but really? You're gonna bring in Chris ****ing Stewart to replace McKenry, a serviceable player and a guy, by all accounts, was a great teammate and person?

This organization...

Old
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
bradshaw06

They're doing this because his defense. It might be better for Sanchez to be in aaa to get the at-bats.

Fort was awful last year throwing guys out. People dont run on stewart.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:44 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
McKenry DFA'd.

I know he's not even that good but really? You're gonna bring in Chris ****ing Stewart to replace McKenry, a serviceable player and a guy, by all accounts, was a great teammate and person?

This organization...
I think you're overreacting to a AAA/MLB tweener with no bat and no D being DFA'd

The Penguins keep guys because they're nice, we've seen how that works out.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
djt153

having a little bit better bat adn weak glove at a position where defense is at a premium simply isnt good enough. while he certainly had some stellar moments, the best overall thing about mckenry was his nickname.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Yeah, I def agree having Stewart over McKenry is an upgrade as much as we all loved the Fort for his personality and a couple of great moments. The upgrade to Fort's bat wasn't enough to account for his weak defense esp considering Stewart is great on baserunners and framing pitches.

My bigger concern was Sanchez not getting time, but that's really not horrible to get him consistent reps and ABs in the minors if it's a 1 year stop gap with Stewart and having a dependable 3rd option for an injury situation @ catcher is never a bad thing considering how important the position can be.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

Fort McKenry was such a great nickname, and for such a likeable guy...but the fact is he just wasn't that good and Stewart is a huge defensive upgrade over the Fort.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes down, because the only argument that could be had to keep Sanchez out of the back-up role is a fairly legitimate one - getting him work 5 days a week instead of 1-2 days a week.

edit: Stewart doesn't have any options left, so he'll almost certainly be the primary back-up. We'll still probably see Sanchez get a few cups of tea, but I think the team is grooming him to be the starter in 2015 and thinks the best way for him to prepare is to play every day instead of be a back-up. Almost no starters in this league spent full seasons as back-ups, so this isn't too surprising.

Stewart's expected to actually make $100k more than McKenry via arbitration.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
djt153

Quote:
Fort McKenry was such a great nickname, and for such a likeable guy...but the fact is he just wasn't that good and Stewart is a huge defensive upgrade over the Fort for less money.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes down, because the only argument that could be had to keep Sanchez out of the back-up role is a fairly legitimate one - getting him work 5 days a week instead of 1-2 days a week.
neither martin or stewart are particularly young - sanchez could easily see twice as many major league starts in 14 as 13 even if martin/stewart are the pair that heads north.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

It's still going to take an injury for Martin to start fewer than 120 games. Barajas started 104 games the year before and he was a 36 year-old with way more miles on him than Martin has. Martin missed some time this past year and still made 127 appearances.

We will see Sanchez at points next year, of that I'm confident.

Old
12-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

In somber news, prospect Evan Chambers passed away over the weekend, he was just 24 years old.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:48 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
So so so brutal...any indication on what may have caused it? Highly unlikely it was natural causes. Horrible sad news

Old
12-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Dylonus

Just heard this myself. What happened? How does one just die at 24 in their sleep when they're in the best physical shape of their life?

Old
12-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Really sorry to hear this.

Any death is a tragedy, but when one that young dies, it is compounded.

Old
12-04-2013, 05:42 AM
sniugneP

Justin Morneau just signed with Rockies for 2 years contract worth $13 millions.

Closed Thread