HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Matt moulson to preds

Old
11-13-2013, 10:45 AM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Matt moulson to preds

Buffalo most likely got him as a rental to trade anyways. And I saw on yahoo in my fantasy league be was benched for 29 minutes the other day and was not impressed. Maybe buffalo trades him before deadline?!

What would you want from Nashville sabre fans? I am assuming picks and prospects is the biggie?

If we could sign him to an extension before dealing I would have no problem offering a first round pick, a third round pick and someone like budish, sissons or vesey...

We have such bad offense and moulson would be a very welcome addition.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Buffalo most likely got him as a rental to trade anyways. And I saw on yahoo in my fantasy league be was benched for 29 minutes the other day and was not impressed. Maybe buffalo trades him before deadline?!

What would you want from Nashville sabre fans? I am assuming picks and prospects is the biggie?

If we could sign him to an extension before dealing I would have no problem offering a first round pick, a third round pick and someone like budish, sissons or vesey...

We have such bad offense and moulson would be a very welcome addition.
You realize that most likely that first round pick could be 1 to 14 right?

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:01 AM
ilikeblocks

Preds won't deal a high pick for him, probably wouldn't deal for him at all since he's a UFA.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
maplepred

Moulson is such an awesome hockey player, I would be willing to lose a top ten pick for him. Again, this is an extended moulson, not free agent moulson.

Old
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
XxPRODxX

Quote:
Moulson is such an awesome hockey player, I would be willing to lose a top ten pick for him. Again, this is an extended moulson, not free agent moulson.
Not worth it. Plus I highly doubt he'll extend here or in Buffalo. He's a UFA and he'll test the market. A first round forward would be valuable at this point in time. If we could get him for a cluster of mid picks and Sisson id be fine but a 1st 3rd and Sisson is an overpayment. I have high hope for Colton Sissons

XxPRODxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:57 PM
maplepred

I hear ya, but we are brutal at drafting forwards, we have never drafted a star forward ever.

What if it was a top ten pick and vesey for moulson?

Why do you think moulson wouldn't extend in Nashville?

Old
11-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
I hear ya, but we are brutal at drafting forwards, we have never drafted a star forward ever.

I would assume he would want to play on a contender.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
XxPRODxX

Quote:

I still don't want to lose the top 10 pick. Moulson is a good offensive player. he wouldn't extend with us unless we pulled off another strong offensive player. We just don't have the expendable assets to acquire a second forward. Moulson wants to play on a team that matches his play style. He want to be on a team with proven offensive players that can set him up and limits him on being the player to make all of the offense. Im not saying we don't have capable offense players but we have always been a score by committee team. In Trotz's system he wont be as effective without that second big time forward.

Now yes Smith, Wilson, and Forsberg have a lot of potential to be that big time 2nd forward but moulson is a UFA this summer and Smith, Wilson and Forsberg still havent proven much yet.

Now if they explode and start putting up good numbers then its a different story. (This also means we come in 2nd or 3rd in are division and make the playoffs) We might be able to extend him if we were to trade for him, but its highly unlikely.

The teams I see Moulson wanting to go to are either back to the Islander, Toronto, Detriot, LA, or Pittsburgh when the season is done unless he is trade somewhere and he fits in well

Old
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Canuck View Post
You realize that most likely that first round pick could be 1 to 14 right?
You make it conditional. A, allowing the Preds to discuss an extension with him before hand, and B if an extension doesn't happen before the draft, and the pick is top 10, that it goes to a 2015 1st. However if it's outside the top 10, or he signs an extension prior to the draft, then it's a 2014 pick. If an extension is signed after the draft (or he re-ups as a FA) then Buffalo gets a 3rd rd pick in 2015 (just to protect against shenanigans of waiting till after the draft to sign a contract if they have an early pick).

Gives Nashville the protection of giving up a top 10 pick and still losing the asset to FA. Clearly in this case there'd be more going to Buffalo than just the pick. But I don't know either team well enough to presume what that may be.

11-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Predsrule

Quote:

Oh good god no...

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:

Moulson is a nice player, but you're gonna need a high end playmaking center to make the most of his skills. He's basically just a goal scorer who's incapable of generating his own chances. I would think if Nash was gonna burn a 1st rounder, they'd want someone who is a little more dynamic.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Preds101

Quote:

I wouldn't say we are brutal at drafting forwards, we just don't draft forwards (ie Jones).

Preds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Zero interest in Moulson. He'd crumble under Trotz, assuming he'd even leave the bench.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Jim Bob
I Believe

With Moulson in the top 30 in the NHL in goals and points (he's tied with Patrick Kane and Daniel Sedin with 17 pts right now and he has 8 pts in 7 games with the Sabres), my guess is that the Sabres will want a premium (1st & 2nd perhaps) for him if he maintains this pace and stays healthy.

Although, who knows if he gets moved given the huge shake up with the team's management today....

Last edited by Jim Bob: 11-13-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:51 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Moulson is a nice player, but you're gonna need a high end playmaking center to make the most of his skills. He's basically just a goal scorer who's incapable of generating his own chances. I would think if Nash was gonna burn a 1st rounder, they'd want someone who is a little more dynamic.

He is producing in buffalo without Tavares, and doing quite well might I add.

I don't get why pred fans are on here saying they would rather a top ten pick then an 'extended' moulson. If moulson doesn't sick extension then no deal, as I said originally.

But pred fans saying they don't want moulson and would rather a top ten pick is insane IMO.

So you would rather potentially drafting Scottie upshall, Brian Finley, Dan hamhuis, or scott hartnell rather than finally having a game breaker forward in moulson?? We have only ever hit gold once in top ten, and Ryan suter left anyways.

Old
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
He is producing in buffalo without Tavares, and doing quite well might I add.

I don't get why pred fans are on here saying they would rather a top ten pick then an 'extended' moulson. If moulson doesn't sick extension then no deal, as I said originally.

But pred fans saying they don't want moulson and would rather a top ten pick is insane IMO.

So you would rather potentially drafting Scottie upshall, Brian Finley, Dan hamhuis, or scott hartnell rather than finally having a game breaker forward in moulson?? We have only ever hit gold once in top ten, and Ryan suter left anyways.
In what world is Moulson a game breaker? He's a great piece, but he's not the kind of guy you build and offense around.

Wouldn't trade our 1st for him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:03 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
In what world is Moulson a game breaker? He's a great piece, but he's not the kind of guy you build and offense around.

Wouldn't trade our 1st for him.
Look at his stats, he's a game breaker and an insane upgrade to any forward we have had in last five years.

So you would be happy with a upshall or Brian Finley over moulson?

Old
11-13-2013, 06:08 PM
XxPRODxX

Quote:
Look at his stats, he's a game breaker and an insane upgrade to any forward we have had in last five years.

So you would be happy with a upshall or Brian Finley over moulson?
He's playing with Ennis and Hodgson for one. Hes not a game breaker. And Brian Finley was a goalie and Upshall is a 3rd liner at most. Game breaking players are players like Tavares, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Etc are game breakers. Moulson has a select style of play that he plays and he needs offence around him as well

Last edited by XxPRODxX: 11-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
11-13-2013, 06:22 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPRODxX View Post
He's playing with Ennis and Hodgson for one. Hes not a game breaker. And Brian Finley was a goalie and Upshall is a 3rd liner at most. Game breaking players are players like Tavares, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Etc are game breakers. Moulson has a select style of play that he plays and he need offence around him as well
Ennis has been hot garbage this year. Hodgson has been good, but I don't think he's carrying Moulson or anything. Point being, these aren't all-stars Moulson is playing with and he's still putting up points and overall has been playing great for us. Of course he's not on par with Crosby, Malkin, etc. Who the hell would argue that he is?

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Hodgson has been good, but I don't think he's carrying Moulson or anything. Point being, these aren't all-stars Moulson is playing with and he's still putting up points and overall has been playing great for us.
No they're not. But the point I think you're failing to grasp is that Moulson doesn't really create his own offense. He's like James Neal to an extent, that he can easily capitalize on the offense created by others, and can put the puck in the net. But if he is the best player on the line, that line is likely in trouble, and you won't get nearly as much out of him if he had a good creative center.

Now, if the Preds had to give up their 1st +, and Moulson came back with a 4-5 yr extension then it would be well worth it. However they have to give up their 1st, and he doesn't sign... then no, it's not worth it.

As for the players you pointed out that they could easily draft... yes they could draft those. Or they could also draft guys like Couture, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban from 2007, or Karlsson, Eberle, Del Zotto, Carlson, Allen, J. Schultz, Hamonic, Markstrom, Voynov from 2008. Or Johansen, Granlund, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bennett, Kuznetsov, Coyle, etc from 2010.

The point is, yes you take a calculated risk. But if the asset you're trading for is going to walk in July, then that gets expensive pretty quickly. However if you know you can keep him... then yes by all means you're likely ahead in the long run, as a proven asset is almost always worth more than one who's unproven.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 06:44 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPRODxX View Post
He's playing with Ennis and Hodgson for one. Hes not a game breaker. And Brian Finley was a goalie and Upshall is a 3rd liner at most. Game breaking players are players like Tavares, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Etc are game breakers. Moulson has a select style of play that he plays and he needs offence around him as well
Yeah, I was saying that our top ten picks in past were those guys (upshall, Finley) and turned into nobodies. I said you would rather than over over moulson?

And ennis and hodgson have never done anything compared to moulson

Old
11-13-2013, 06:45 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
No they're not. But the point I think you're failing to grasp is that Moulson doesn't really create his own offense. He's like James Neal to an extent, that he can easily capitalize on the offense created by others, and can put the puck in the net. But if he is the best player on the line, that line is likely in trouble, and you won't get nearly as much out of him if he had a good creative center.

Now, if the Preds had to give up their 1st +, and Moulson came back with a 4-5 yr extension then it would be well worth it. However they have to give up their 1st, and he doesn't sign... then no, it's not worth it.

As for the players you pointed out that they could easily draft... yes they could draft those. Or they could also draft guys like Couture, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban from 2007, or Karlsson, Eberle, Del Zotto, Carlson, Allen, J. Schultz, Hamonic, Markstrom, Voynov from 2008. Or Johansen, Granlund, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Bennett, Kuznetsov, Coyle, etc from 2010.

The point is, yes you take a calculated risk. But if the asset you're trading for is going to walk in July, then that gets expensive pretty quickly. However if you know you can keep him... then yes by all means you're likely ahead in the long run, as a proven asset is almost always worth more than one who's unproven.
Nashville has never drafts forwards like that, outside of radulov. That's my point.

Old
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Yitz

Quote:
He's really not that awesome of a player...

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
ZDH

Yea, the preds are a Matt Moulson away from being contenders....

Your first rounder is worth at least double Moulsons trade value you realize this right?

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:25 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Yea, the preds are a Matt Moulson away from being contenders....

Your first rounder is worth at least double Moulsons trade value you realize this right?
I never said we would be contenders, I just want some goals, predators have scored one goal in last four games.

Plus moulson would be good to have around for guys like forsberg, beck, Wilson.

An '''extended''' moulson is worth more than a top ten pick IMO. If we are getting moulson to be a ufa than no deal. I said '''extended'''.

Poile couldn't draft a star forward if his life depended on it, this would be our chance. We aren't getting a Crosby for a first rounder alone.