2013-14 Dallas Stars Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The media buzzards are circling in Philadelphia. I don't like or hate the Flyers particularly so I guess I'm hoping they keep struggling. Could lead to a wacky move by their GM. Those are always fun.

Why is Luke Schenn playing 15 minutes a game?
Laviolette makes some odd decisions--see leaving Couturier on the 4th line with Shelley and Rinaldo for large parts of last year. He tends to focus in on one or two players a year who get punished for the same mistakes that everyone else makes--and this year, it is L. Schenn.

(The only other explanation is that they are trying to prove that Mezsaros is healthy in order to generate some interest around the league. He has been absolutely awful, but keeps getting the minutes, so that would make sense--except Laviolette is on the hot seat, so I can't see him trotting out a guy who makes the team worse right now.)

Regardless, Schenn won't be moved--the organization moved JVR for him in part to solidify a position of weakness, but also to bring some stability and familiarity for Brayden. I can't see them splitting them up so soon--particularly not when Luke was one of the team's better performers through large parts of last year.

The Flyers should have parted ways with Laviolette during the offseason. He's a great coach for 3 years, but he doesn't seem capable of adjusting his system, and the players are clearly frustrated.

It isn't a pretty scene right now.

Old
10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

(The only other explanation is that they are trying to prove that Mezsaros is healthy in order to generate some interest around the league. He has been absolutely awful, but keeps getting the minutes, so that would make sense--except Laviolette is on the hot seat,
Aaaaand, he's fired.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
Aaaaand, he's fired.
Yeah. I thought he'd have through Wednesday night, but, like I said above, it was getting pretty bad.

Chip Kelly is now the longest tenured head coach among Philadelphia's four major sports. He was hired in January...of this year.

EDIT: Anyway, to get things back on topic, before the firing was announced, the Philadelphia Daily News ran a story that suggested the Flyers might be looking to shake things up in terms of personnel. Dallas doesn't seem a great partner--and isn't mentioned in the article, but I figured that I should post it anyway.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 10-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yeah. I thought he'd have through Wednesday night, but, like I said above, it was getting pretty bad.

Chip Kelly is now the longest tenured head coach among Philadelphia's four major sports. He was hired in January...of this year.
Well, you're in luck! Crawford is still out there, and maybe you can get Glen "Timeout Rascist" Gulutzan from Vancouver. Unless you already hired a new coach... Oh crap you did hire a new coach, didn't you!? Man, you're so screwed.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Would anyone here be willing to package Jack Campbell in a move to acquire a defenseman?

Teams like Calgary, Edmonton, NY Islanders, Winnipeg and Philly might be possible trade partners.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post
Would anyone here be willing to package Jack Campbell in a move to acquire a defenseman?

Teams like Calgary, Edmonton, NY Islanders, Winnipeg and Philly might be possible trade partners.
We won't get a top pair potential defense man with Campbell+. Campbell doesn't have much trade value as of right now.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Stars90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnor9sean View Post

I wouldn't be against moving Campbell, but I don't think you get the guy we're looking for. Best case, Campbell+ could maybe net an Oleksiak type who still might be a couple of years away, and we're right back where we started.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

A top pair defenseman is out. We wouldn't give up what it takes to get one and no one has one on the block. If Philly is going to chop and change I'd still rather take a chance on Couturier. Dallas has some decent wing and center options but nothing like him.

I just think it's a matter of time and willingness to move Robidas, Daley, or Goligoski to make room for whichever of the younger guys is ready soonest. A solid steady guy like Jokipakka could make a world of difference in Dallas while not being a top pairing guy ever. On the flip side Couturier allows Dallas to move Eakin to wing which some want, basically puts Garbutt or eventually Horcoff in the pressbox and improves both the top six and bottom six. Does anyone have any idea what they'd want for him? Cause this looks appealing.

Benn-Seguin-Cole
Whitney-Couturier-Chiasson
Eakin-Peverley-Nichushkin
Horcoff-Fiddler-Roussel

Old
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
haf

I could see Washington taking Robidas for the right price. Erskine is actually not a bad defenseman but really should be a bottom pairing guy with him being so limited in what he can do.

I don't think the return would be terribly high but if we need to make room it could make sense.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:37 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
A top pair defenseman is out. We wouldn't give up what it takes to get one and no one has one on the block. If Philly is going to chop and change I'd still rather take a chance on Couturier. Dallas has some decent wing and center options but nothing like him.

I just think it's a matter of time and willingness to move Robidas, Daley, or Goligoski to make room for whichever of the younger guys is ready soonest. A solid steady guy like Jokipakka could make a world of difference in Dallas while not being a top pairing guy ever. On the flip side Couturier allows Dallas to move Eakin to wing which some want, basically puts Garbutt or eventually Horcoff in the pressbox and improves both the top six and bottom six. Does anyone have any idea what they'd want for him? Cause this looks appealing.

Benn-Seguin-Cole
Whitney-Couturier-Chiasson
Eakin-Peverley-Nichushkin
Horcoff-Fiddler-Roussel
I am not sure we'll be able to give up whomever it is Philly wants in return (most likely Chiasson).

Old
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
Couturier would be a sweet add, don't think it gets done without giving up a player we really don't want to however.

Old
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Chiasson wouldn't land Couturier. It would take Nichushkin or one of the untouchables.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Stars90

Following up on the Gardiner talk, Elliotte Friedman speculates about where he might land, and Dallas is on his list (#14).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...spotlight.html

I would be interesting to see if Nill is really interested. He seems like another Goligoski in a lot of ways to me, but there's no denying he has talent. Could be a huge boon to the powerplay.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Chiasson wouldn't land Couturier. It would take Nichushkin or one of the untouchables.
I agree about the price but Couturier is what I'd want if we're moving Ritchie, not another decent upside defender like Gardiner.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Sports

Man, I didn't know they locked up Simmonds long term.
I'd love to find some legit top-6 grit like that.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars90 View Post
Following up on the Gardiner talk, Elliotte Friedman speculates about where he might land, and Dallas is on his list (#14).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...spotlight.html

I would be interesting to see if Nill is really interested. He seems like another Goligoski in a lot of ways to me, but there's no denying he has talent. Could be a huge boon to the powerplay.
My guess is that Friedman is tossing out the names of organizations with known solid prospect pools. I take everything that comes out of Toronto media with a cave's worth of salt. He could be right about the teams mentioned but it seems more like throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks.

* Little OT but in that link I thought the more interesting thing was the headline story about spin-o-rama shootout goals. I watched the replay of Raymond's goal against Ottawa and I agree with MacLean that it shouldn't count. It sure looks like he came to a stop and then shot the puck in. I've seen them done well where they looked like continuous motion (and thus legal) but some are terribad.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
* Little OT but in that link I thought the more interesting thing was the headline story about spin-o-rama shootout goals. I watched the replay of Raymond's goal against Ottawa and I agree with MacLean that it shouldn't count. It sure looks like he came to a stop and then shot the puck in. I've seen them done well where they looked like continuous motion (and thus legal) but some are terribad.
I wish they'd just implement some rule about banning slowing to a crawl.
Taking out shootouts in general would be a good option as well.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:11 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Larry View Post
I wish they'd just implement some rule about banning slowing to a crawl.
Taking out shootouts in general would be a good option as well.
Yeah I'm not really a fan of the shootout either. If they're going to keep it around it would be nice to to something like you mention. I'm all for creativity but the spin-o-rama isn't very creative to me.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
tjcurrie

If you're gonna have the shootout, then I think you have to let the players do their thing. Limiting them only creates more controversy and checking the replay etc etc etc.

I say get rid of it entirely. It's no way to end a hockey game. Nothing wrong with a tie.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Brand New Stars

So Nill should at least call NJ about Larsson since they are stunting his growth big time.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:39 PM
BigG44

Jake Gardiner probably is a cut above all of Dallas' young defenders not on the roster. I think Oleksiak in the long run will probably prove to be a better D ... just maybe not right at this moment.

He's not going to be cheap ... and I think you're losing a guy like Faksa or Ritchie to get him, and I don't know that I'm thrilled with that idea.

I guess we'll see how it plays out, but the thought of what Jake Gardiner might cost makes me nervous.

One positive ... TOR fans always say they need a right shot RD because their coach is also pushing for a LD-RD balance. I'd say there's a good chance Dallas would retain salary, and Robidas would be a part of the trade ... probably a small part value wise.

It really makes me sick at the thought of this blowing up in Dallas' face ... but it's almost got to be Ritchie. He's the closest thing they have to redundant. He slides into a similar role as Benn and Nichushkin. I never would have said this based on his time at BU, but he's also similar to the NHL version of Alex Chiasson. In addition, they have some longer shot, big framed forwards in Payne, Remi, Paul, and Paulovic.

This just feels too damn close to Neal-Goligoski. I'd feel more comfortable if they could find a way to get one of Anaheim's forwards for say Goligoski ... then use him and Robidas to get it done. That's pretty damn unlikely considering if Dallas is in on Jake ... they're likely bidding against Anaheim.

Tough call.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He's not going to be cheap ... and I think you're losing a guy like Faksa or Ritchie to get him, and I don't know that I'm thrilled with that idea.
I'm not sold on Faksa being anything other than a 3rd liner, so I'd be okay with that, but you're right, it'd have to be someone like Ritchie.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
BigG44

Err ... wait a second. I had a mental slip for a second. Anaheim traded his ass to Toronto. They need a younger defender ... but would they really give up top assets to re-acquire a guy they already gave up in a pretty one-sided trade? I don't want knock Beauchemin or anything ... he's a fine defenseman ... but you gave up a pretty good but injury prone Top 6 forward and a top young D.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Zrhutch

I'm of the belief that one of Faksa/Dickinson and Ritchie/Stransky will eventually get traded due to redundancy and to help shore up a weakness. As such, right now I'd do Gardiner for Dickinson+ with the way that Faksa is playing. If only Nonis and Burke werent idiots with money so we could send them a Dman too..

Old
10-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Why does Couturier carry a high value with fans? Is it because of where he was picked?

Closed Thread