HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New season, same dead offense

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Tundra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
How was Jagr?
He looked fine. He can still buy time laterally with the puck in tow. But he's certainly no savior at this point in his career.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:46 PM
kiwidevil

Who was Jagr with? Zajac and?

Was Brunner better with Elias or Loktionov? Only followed the game at work, via twitter.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:47 PM
DEVILSEBO
Corners vs Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
He looked fine. He can still buy time laterally with the puck in tow. But he's certainly no savior at this point in his career.
How long until he's a healthy scratch?

Old
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
I think people are being way to critical for game 1 of the season. I also disagree we didn't play well. We just didn't bury chances when we had them. If Henriques penalty shot was 2 inches up, if Zidlicky doesnt rush with an open net, it Clowes was an inch up, and if MAF does grab a puck behind his back we win. If anything it was lack of puck luck.

We outshot them 21-9 after the first. I think some are being way to hard for a first game. Keep in mind Elias Didn't play that much and Jagr didn't play at all, hell this was his first game action since last year.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:48 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Optimism still not unwaivered.
Uphill battle, and I won't try to swim upstream too hard around here

Was thinking we might get something going against that bottom 6, but no go. Another frustrating bout of lackluster offense.
Buuuut... we're dealing with major roster turnover and no time to gel.
During camp it was said that lineup chemistry was an afterthought while the emphasis was getting new players and youngsters comfortable within the system.

Wrong move, right move, I'm sure has been/will be debated. But I want to see some linemates put together who can read each other a lot better than we saw tonight.

Part of what made Pete's system effective in 11-12 was the trust & the chemistry each line had with each other.

With Sykora & Elias still clicking mentally, Henrique settling down Parise & Kovalchuk enough to work together finally and guys like Bernier & Carter rounding out the bottom 6.. consistently creating offense off the cycle usually led to good things. Because they always knew where to put the puck, and their linemate was usually ready for it.

It'll likely be a rough few games, but I'm not sure there's enough available to evaluate the offensive talent we have. Sometimes 2 or 3 forwards really sing together and create opportunity after opportunity for one another and can overcome lack of raw skill.

Hopefully around the 10 game marker (I think that's Lou's magic number), we'll be able to see if any of these forwards can work together.

Top end talent isn't available like it used to be, but we have a number of forwards who have are usually thrown out against heavy matchups (Elias, Zajac, Henrique). Hopefully they can step up their game to take on that challenge. Then, it'll be up to the remainder of the lineup to work with the matchups they get.

Cautiously on the fence right now (that's a thing). Still going to take a patient approach with this season.
I might as well call it a night after reading this. There's a reason you're one of my favs despite the fact I go towards the dark side too much and not towards your way of thinking enough...at least this is a reasonable, rational (while not being an unrealistic homer) way of looking at things though.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
How was Jagr?
He played about as well as we could realistically expect - slow at times and not much of a defensive presence, but he's still effective at creating chances and sustaining offensive pressure. I could definitely see him putting up 50 pts if he stays healthy.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
I think people are being way to critical for game 1 of the season. I also disagree we didn't play well. We just didn't bury chances when we had them. If Henriques penalty shot was 2 inches up, if Zidlicky doesnt rush with an open net, it Clowes was an inch up, and if MAF does grab a puck behind his back we win. If anything it was lack of puck luck.
Good points. Clowe's chance was gorgeous - an inch higher and it was in, and the behing the back save on Zajac is something MAF is going to make work about 1 out of every 10 tries. Add in Zidlicky's gaff and it's a 3-2 Devils win.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:57 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Longest Losing Streak from Start of season: 11 G New York Rangers - 1943-44

.....just imagine the crying back then with only radio and gramophones to get you through the games for coverage and music ....and in wartime to boot! 11 games.

****, even these clowns pulled this off.

Longest Winning Streak from start of season: 10 G
Toronto Maple Leafs - 1993-94
Buffalo Sabres - 2006-07

it got them that prize right there.. nothing more then a trivia answer.

bring on the home opener.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:58 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Only good thing about this loss is that it gives Pete some Video to use to help determine who is doing what wrong/right and what went wrong when things were going wrong....

...did I mention the word "wrong" yet?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:00 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I might as well call it a night after reading this. There's a reason you're one of my favs despite the fact I go towards the dark side too much and not towards your way of thinking enough...at least this is a reasonable, rational (while not being an unrealistic homer) way of looking at things though.
Oh, the flattery!
Thank you (although I'm sure more than enough disagree )

In all honesty, though, this team could be 0-81, and I'll still look for the little things that tell me they could win game 82. That'll always be my mindset.
It might be wrong, they might lose so hard that they have to find a way to count it as 2 losses... but if I see the possibility for improvement, it'll take a lot for me to throw in the towel.

Everyone sees the game differently, of course.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Jagr looked like he hadn't played a game in months. Not awful, but rusty.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Hey remember that fantastic run to the finals the Devils had in 2012? Yeah that Devils team lost their season opener as well. It's one game. Let's wait a bit before we call it a season and wish for our coach to be fired.
To a Pennsylvania team, by 3 goals, with Ilya friggen Bryzgalov getting a shut out, and Jagr was there too.....

Old
10-03-2013, 11:03 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
To a Pennsylvania team, by 3 goals, with Ilya friggen Bryzgalov getting a shut out, and Jagr was there too.....

Where's the Gravy?

Yeah...it was very bad to watch.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

This board is hysterical tonight.

First we lost Bobby Orr then we lost a hockey game. Put the shudders up!!!

If anyone really thought this team was going to come out of the gate hot they missed all the roster turnover.

This isn't a team yet. Brunner has been here barely two weeks. Jagr might as well only been here a week.

There is no chemistry yet and it's going to take time to gel. Be prepared for a middling early going. If the team is going to do anything it will be getting hot as the season goes on.

It's game one of a long season with pretty much a brand new team. Patience is a virtue.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:06 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post

If anyone really thought this team was going to come out of the gate hot they missed all the roster turnover.

This isn't a team yet. Brunner has been here barely two weeks. Jagr might as well only been here a week.

There is no chemistry yet and it's going to take time to gel. Be prepared for a middling early going. If the team is going to do anything it will be getting hot as the season goes on.

It's game one of a long season with pretty much a brand new team. Patience is a virtue.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Loyal Patrik
I Like Hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post

Very well said. There are going to be growing pains, but the team will be better for it. The team we saw tonight played nowhere near its full potential.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:10 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Hey Emperoreddy,

Did you hear that our season is over and we suck?

It's amazing, isn't it?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:14 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920

Old
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

can Fayne not sit over Harrold and Zidlicky

Old
10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Patrik View Post
Very well said. There are going to be growing pains, but the team will be better for it. The team we saw tonight played nowhere near its full potential.
And we all should of known this. We spent like 12 offseason threads about how the roster turnover will take time to overcome.

Of course Jagr looked rusty. He has only gotten a weeks worth of practice in with guys he has never played with.

Nothing has changed for me. I'm still pumped as hell for the home opener. I'm leaving work early. I got my tickets and I'll be sporting my Marty jersey and expecting to be telling Eugene he sucks.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
can Fayne not sit over Harrold and Zidlicky
Yeah I don't know what he's thinking with that. What purpose does Harrold serve over Fayne? Getting killed out there with Volchenkov?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
kiwidevil

The trick is being able to shake the rust off and learn to play together very quickly. A slow 10-20 game start could bury them.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
Pickle Pops?

vCash: 425
Haha yeah, if we had Bo Horvat and just Marty and Moose in net this year would be a cup lock.

Good grief.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
10-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Haha yeah, if we had Bo Horvat and just Marty and Moose in net this year would be a cup lock.

Good grief.
Didn't you get the memo? Lou is old, Pete is dumb.

12th in the East. Pop the champagne. Filip Bondy!!!

Old
10-03-2013, 11:35 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Good grief.
A likely mascot for the 2013 Devils

Closed Thread