HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Aleksandr Barkov goal scored youngest in nhl

Old
10-13-2013, 12:16 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
the russian factor only occurs when someone slips from their predraft rankings, which are not made by the people who actually draft players. for all we know Nichuskin was tenth best player according to NHL teams. and if there is such a thing as Russian factor how on earth was Nail Yakupov last years number 1 pick. and don't say because he played in CHL, cause so did Radulov. what was the factor behind Morrissey, Dano or Shinkaruk pick? maybe it is just that the hfboards and the so-called draft experts don't know as much as the real NHL scouts and GMs.
The best player is ambigious term. Firstly, you draft players for an impact in 3-4 years time. Open your curtains and see that it isn't 2017.

Secondly, different teams will have different players they value as the "best player" to draft. Teravainen fell to #18 in 2012, but there are numerous teams who reportedly had him ranked in the Top 10. The draft is an event of circumstance. Taking the draft order as a literal concensus and pointing it as knowledge of "real NHL scouts" is fallicious and asinine. "Real" NHL scouts differ wildly on their opinions of players.

Thirdly, the NHL draft isn't solely based on offensive talent and flash. Some teams will, rightly or wrongly, focus on need. You also aren't simply just drafting a player for 20 odd minutes on the ice. You're drafting a player to integrate into a team. Interviews play an important role in NHL draft distribution. Nichushkin reportedly had a poor combine. Some teams inside the Top 10 may have soured on him, again, rightly or wrongly. Using a translator isn't going to lead an accurate assessment of a character either.

Finally, Nichushkin played in Russia last year. Yakupov had 2 years in the CHL prior to his draft. Nichushkin had potential contract issues. Yakupov didn't. Nichushkin wasn't percieved as BPA either, Yakupov was. Nichushkin formed part of a group of elite prospects. 2012 had a weaker top end, IMO. Comparing drafts is an exercise in futility ; every draft is different.

You're sadly not as cunning as a Fox.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Horvath Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The best player is ambigious term. Firstly, you draft players for an impact in 3-4 years time. Open your curtains and see that it isn't 2017.

Secondly, different teams will have different players they value as the "best player" to draft. Teravainen fell to #18 in 2012, but there are numerous teams who reportedly had him ranked in the Top 10. The draft is an event of circumstance. Taking the draft order as a literal concensus and pointing it as knowledge of "real NHL scouts" is fallicious and asinine. "Real" NHL scouts differ wildly on their opinions of players.

Thirdly, the NHL draft isn't solely based on offensive talent and flash. Some teams will, rightly or wrongly, focus on need. You also aren't simply just drafting a player for 20 odd minutes on the ice. You're drafting a player to integrate into a team. Interviews play an important role in NHL draft distribution. Nichushkin reportedly had a poor combine. Some teams inside the Top 10 may have soured on him, again, rightly or wrongly. Using a translator isn't going to lead an accurate assessment of a character either.

Finally, Nichushkin played in Russia last year. Yakupov had 2 years in the CHL prior to his draft. Nichushkin had potential contract issues. Yakupov didn't. Nichushkin wasn't percieved as BPA either, Yakupov was. Nichushkin formed part of a group of elite prospects. 2012 had a weaker top end, IMO. Comparing drafts is an exercise in futility ; every draft is different.

You're sadly not as cunning as a Fox.
and where in your post you prove that Russian factor exists? cause saying it doesn't was sole point of my post.

actually you didn't reply to much i stated in my post. you just listed random things which have very little to do with the russian factor i meant.

Last edited by Horvath Broncos: 10-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Horvath Broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFox View Post
and where in your post you prove that Russian factor exists? cause saying it doesn't was sole point of my post.
It's been reported in the media by a variety of credible sources. From NHL management, to scouts, to respected media analysts. A bald fat man may choose to avoid any contact with human kind and not look in the mirror to propagate the myth that he is actually a tall handsome fellow, but it doesn't alter the fact he's a bald short fat man.

We've seen Russian prospects fall in the draft in a variety of ways. Kulikov, Tarasenko, Cherepanov, Kuznetsov etc. We've seen fewer and fewer Russian NHL draft picks. We've seen a nose dive in the total of Russian NHL players. We've seen high profile media drama cases where Russian players have headed home.

2+2 isn't just a large online troll forum, it is also 4.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:33 PM
umwoz

Is this thread about Barkov?

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Southern Hockey

This thread sucks. Can we get back on topic?

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:35 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Seriously.

I tried chiming in a couple of pages ago and all you guys talk about is Russian/Finnish status.

I don't care if he's from Tazmania. I care about how he plays, and right now he's looking great. 2013 Draft could go down as one of the greatest ever.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:47 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Seriously.

I tried chiming in a couple of pages ago and all you guys talk about is Russian/Finnish status.

I don't care if he's from Tazmania. I care about how he plays, and right now he's looking great. 2013 Draft could go down as one of the greatest ever.
I've heard that a lot about a lot of years. It's way too early to tell that. I do think we could have more then a couple top line players, which would make it better then average year.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Oan

6 games into the season and Barkov has already effectively become the nr.1 center in the Panthers team...how many 18-year old rookies have managed that?

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Still can't get over the fact that he looks precisely like Quentin Tarantino, especially in that picture. He's been effective for the panthers, looks promising!

Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Bobby Holik's son.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Matzscha

Beast.

Matzscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan Ruter View Post
Still can't get over the fact that he looks precisely like Quentin Tarantino, especially in that picture. He's been effective for the panthers, looks promising!
don't get me wrong I love Barkov, happy to have him, he's been great…but at the same time this ain't saying much, practically this is only possible in our team

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Killdo

I feel like my I.Q. went down after reading all that nonsense.

On topic though can any Panther fans tell me who's he's been playing on a line with this year?

Killdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Has NHL.com used a "Barkov at the Moon" pun yet?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Metalcommand

Barkov is Finnish. Just accept it. Russian factor = status zero.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry View Post
Yeah no. Barkov sr chose to raise his family in Finland for a reason.
The reason being that in 1994 Finland was a better place for a hockey player than Russia. That's why Russian players were way more eager to play in Finland back then than they are nowadays, because currently Russia is a better place for a hockey player than Finland.

Lepardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:49 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzscha View Post
Beast.
Big fan of Barkov, but I don't see whats so 'beast' about that play.

HABS2DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
There was no Russian factor with Barkov nor shall there ever be. If Barkov bolted to KHL it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that he has Russian name.
You really don't think that it would be easier to move to Russia if you know the Russian language? Leo Komarov has said that knowing Russian makes KHL feel more comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Barkov is Russian, just like Leo Komarov is Estonian, Robyn Regher is Brazilian or Johnny Oduya is Kenyan.
Were both of Oduya's parents born in Kenya? Did he speak an African language at home with his parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Barkov is ethnic russian but he is product of finnish hockey system and feels that he is finnish.
Jukka Rautakorpi (the head coach of Tappara, where Barkov played in Finland) doesn't think that Barkov is a product of the Finnish hockey system. Jukka said in an interview that he thinks Barkov became so good in spite of the Finnish hockey system, not because of it.

Last edited by Lepardi: 10-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Lepardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:11 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killdo View Post
On topic though can any Panther fans tell me who's he's been playing on a line with this year?
Fleischmann-Barkov-Versteeg(/Boyes at first)

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
Jukka Rautakorpi (the head coach of Tappara, where Barkov played in Finland) doesn't think that Barkov is a product of the Finnish hockey system. Jukka said in an interview that he thinks Barkov became so good in spite of the Finnish hockey system, not because of it.
That sounds like a line that should be definitely taken 100% literally.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote