HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2 Senators at Sabres Fri Oct 4 7:00PM ET TV: MSG-B Radio: WGR-AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  #76
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels
 
Namejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rīga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I know. Unfortunately some fans feel the louder they show their displeasure with the team while they play, the better the team will play to stop the booing. It's screwed up. I've never seen a team automatically turn it on and dominate because of crowd booing. If anything it drags them down even further.

So what happens if a team over in Europe sucks game after game after game after game? What does the crowd do exactly? Nothing? Remain quiet? Cheer in hopes of energizing the team game after game after game?
I'm probably generalizing way too much here, but I just haven't seen that in Europe. It probably varies a lot from place to place and country to country, but, yeah, it seems a lot more common in NA.

Over here we just continue supporting them and/or get depressed and/or blame someone else for all of our faults, but never boo your own team.

I remember how when our national team got steamrolled by Canada in 2006, 0-11 I think it was, we continued chanting throughout the game. I mean, sure, at one point we started throwing coins and things at the referees, but booing your own team is never an option. Especially if you're an underdog. And at this point and time Sabres isn't a top tier team by any means.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:43 AM
  #77
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,263
vCash: 500
Sabres, 3-2, OT.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  #78
cybresabre
Smooth as Marzette G
 
cybreSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wNY
Posts: 7,851
vCash: 1001
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
I'm probably generalizing way too much here, but I just haven't seen that in Europe. It probably varies a lot from place to place and country to country, but, yeah, it seems a lot more common in NA.

Over here we just continue supporting them and/or get depressed and/or blame someone else for all of our faults, but never boo your own team.

I remember how when our national team got steamrolled by Canada in 2006, 0-11 I think it was, we continued chanting throughout the game. I mean, sure, at one point we started throwing coins and things at the referees, but booing your own team is never an option. Especially if you're an underdog. And at this point and time Sabres isn't a top tier team by any means.
It's probably my soccer roots, but I love the atmosphere of a strongly chanting crowd. Beyond "Let's go Buff-a-lo!" there isn't much collective cheering, no songs. That adds to the unity of the crowd for me, the arena could really use the energy.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:02 PM
  #79
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,079
vCash: 500
Ottawa-4
Sabres-3

Overtime.

Expecting a cleaner game tonight. Detroit was a great test for this young team. There are not too many teams that can match Detroit's speed or chemistry.

I'm highly interested to see how Grigorenko plays tonight. He impressed me last game. He didn't look out of place in a fast paced game.


Last edited by Dubi Doo: 10-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  #80
TCRF
RICK. GNASH
 
TCRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,548
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
It's probably my soccer roots, but I love the atmosphere of a strongly chanting crowd. Beyond "Let's go Buff-a-lo!" there isn't much collective cheering, no songs. That adds to the unity of the crowd for me, the arena could really use the energy.
The arena could use any energy t gets. Empowerment.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
  #81
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post
I am very excited to see Larsson is in the lineup, but are we overrating Larsson at all? I really like the kid and he looked very good at center in preseason, but our expectations too high? Not trying to rag on the kid or the people who wanna see him play (i am one of them) but i am not sure what is reasonable to expect from him>
He, like nearly every other rookie, will need time to adjust to the NHL's speed and physicality. The players are faster and stronger. I'm not sure how long it will take him to adjust. I do believe he will develop into a solid top-9 player this season.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:18 PM
  #82
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Registered User
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 54
Note: OP Additions






Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:33 PM
  #83
LaFontaineToMogilny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country:
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Sabres fans boo their own team? WTH.

I don't think anything like that could happen in Europe. When you're supporting a team, you're a part of the team. If the team is doing bad, you're doing bad.

I don't get it. It's not just stupid and ridiculous, but also counter-productive.
I am European as well and it not only grinds my ears to hear booing at home ice, it actually makes me mad. To me booing the home team is disrespecting the entire organization, and it's heritage and meaning. To me, the Buffalo Sabres mean something, they are an integral part of the last few decades of my life and have directly and indirectly had a huge impact on my life. To hear Buffalo fans boo that team infuriates me.

American fans like to pretend that since they paid money, they have a right to boo the team if they don't like what they are seeing. Sure, they have the right, no one will put anyone in jail for booing. But to me, booing doesn't just target the players on the ice, it's disrespect of the team. I put it firmly in the category of dropping a jersey on the ground, spitting on the logo etc. In short, an unthinkable reaction. Booing the team is reserved only for the extremely rare occasions when a team commits a terrible transgression. We're talking Penn State level stuff and other terrible acts.

When I hear the fans in Buffalo boo, it reflects negatively on the whole city. In fact, I did entertain they idea of moving to Buffalo for quite some time, went so far as to inquire about employment there and looking for housing. But after hearing the booing the past two seasons, and hearing people's justification for it. I will not do it. It angers me all the way out here in Los Angeles how people are so cavalier about a team that means so much to me. To be surrounded everyday by that attitude would drive me crazy.

LaFontaineToMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:38 PM
  #84
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFontaineToMogilny View Post
I am European as well and it not only grinds my ears to hear booing at home ice, it actually makes me mad. To me booing the home team is disrespecting the entire organization, and it's heritage and meaning. To me, the Buffalo Sabres mean something, they are an integral part of the last few decades of my life and have directly and indirectly had a huge impact on my life. To hear Buffalo fans boo that team infuriates me.

American fans like to pretend that since they paid money, they have a right to boo the team if they don't like what they are seeing. Sure, they have the right, no one will put anyone in jail for booing. But to me, booing doesn't just target the players on the ice, it's disrespect of the team. I put it firmly in the category of dropping a jersey on the ground, spitting on the logo etc. In short, an unthinkable reaction. Booing the team is reserved only for the extremely rare occasions when a team commits a terrible transgression. We're talking Penn State level stuff and other terrible acts.

When I hear the fans in Buffalo boo, it reflects negatively on the whole city. In fact, I did entertain they idea of moving to Buffalo for quite some time, went so far as to inquire about employment there and looking for housing. But after hearing the booing the past two seasons, and hearing people's justification for it. I will not do it. It angers me all the way out here in Los Angeles how people are so cavalier about a team that means so much to me. To be surrounded everyday by that attitude would drive me crazy.
I hate the booing as well. Especially considering how young the team is. It's not their fault they're placed in the middle of a rebuild. They played their tails off once Pominville was traded, and call ups happened.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:44 PM
  #85
LaFontaineToMogilny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country:
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
The arena could use any energy t gets. Empowerment.
It's a huge untapped potential for a team like the Sabres. The arena is incredibly quiet. A vocal crowd would not only make the games much more entertaining for the fans, it would give Buffalo a much needed leg up in competing for talent and exposure. True 'european style' fan engagement would be something unique and a huge plus for the team.

Still, the arena is virtually dead. There's nothing outside the generic Let's go Buffalo chant despite the fact that Bob Marley practically gifted Sabres fans the perfect fan song 30 years ago!

If I were the Sabres, I'd go out of my way to designate an area to a booster club or whatever and encourage as much chanting, banner painting, general tomfoolery as possible.

If I lived in Buffalo (and could afford to go to games) I'd start a booster club like this myself.

LaFontaineToMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  #86
TCRF
RICK. GNASH
 
TCRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,548
vCash: 476
I'd be for it. When I go I'm pretty vocal but one or two people a section isn't enough.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
  #87
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Well, the average superficial fan will start booing after the first poor PP. That usually happens. No avoiding it. Too many of them. The semi-educated fan will realize this team is full of rookies and sophomores with a mostly rookie NHL coach and new staff. And have patience for the process of developing, growth, and learning from mistakes. But too many who go are of the "I WANT IT NOWWWWW crowd". They snapshot compare shift to shift vs. week to week and see no change. It's like saying you're not growing as a kid because every morning you measure your height against a mark on the wall for a month. Some fans need to measure the team month to month to see any appreciable development.

That's why it will get ugly... All season long.
Hmm yes the 3 young rookies on the roster don't make up for the Power play so yes every fan has every right to be mad about the powerplay because the veterans on the team are the first line power play and it sucked last game. Oh the coaches are new? new staff? hmmm yes but they know what they were brought into do and that's win.

There is no excuse for that, I don't expect Buffalo to be a playoff contending, power play superhouse but when your have multiple 5 on 3's and you cant score, there is something very misleading about the future of this team or the lack of effort and the finger needs to be pointed somewhere and someone has to take account for that.

Even if the team is young and rebuilding with the amount of power plays Buffalo was given, that game should have been won.

Even if the rookies were on the power play its not like they have never played Hockey before. I expect to see some effort and some hope even in these tank rebuild years.


Last edited by Sabre the Win: 10-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
  #88
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Hmm yes the 3 young rookies on the roster don't make up for the Power play so yes every fan has every right to be mad about the powerplay because the veterans on the team are the first line power play and it sucked last game. Oh the coaches are new? new staff? hmmm yes but they know what they were brought into do and that's win.

There is no excuse for that, I don't expect Buffalo to be a playoff contending, power play superhouse but when your have multiple 5 on 3's and you cant score, there is something very misleading about the future of this team or the lack of effort and the finger needs to be pointed somewhere and someone has to take account for that.

Even if the team is young and rebuilding with the amount of powerplays Buffalo was given, that game should have been won.
How about it being the 2nd game of the season? That's all the reason anyone needs to keep their ridiculous frustrations inside.

For the record, Ehrhoff set up two great deflections in front of the net that easily could have gone in. It's not like they had no opportunities.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  #89
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
How about it being the 2nd game of the season? That's all the reason anyone needs to keep their ridiculous frustrations inside.
Buffalo's power play woes did not just start this season. Colorado is fairly young and they are already at 50% on the power play and they have a new coach and staff and they have played one game.

What's the difference?

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  #90
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
Buffalo's power play woes did not just start this season.
We all know that, but it's also not entirely relevant when we don't give a new roster with a new coach and new powerplay coach a chance.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:44 PM
  #91
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Mit Yarrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 1663
OT:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Sabres...dp/B000W8BRX4/

Sabres Youth Replica Jersey - L/XL - $11

Saw this at slickdeals, in case anyone is looking for a kids jersey.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
  #92
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
We all know that, but it's also not entirely relevant when we don't give a new roster with a new coach and new powerplay coach a chance.
I'm not giving up on them, I'm just stating that fingers are allowed to point and should be pointed so they correcting these mistakes for future seasons. We shouldn't just shrug them off and say "well the team is young and the coaching staff is new" that's like having your hydro bill to pay and you put it off until they are shutting off your power. Action should be taken immediately and voices should be heard. Nothing would be accomplished if the Government was completely silent and there was no voice of reasoning or logic (which seems rare in government offices, I know)

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
  #93
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster
 
Connor McDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 12,679
vCash: 50
**** the senators
Karlsson is a fourth forward
Anderson, a fluke

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
  #94
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
I'm not giving up on them, I'm just stating that fingers are allowed to point and should be pointed so they correcting these mistakes for future seasons. We shouldn't just shrug them off and say "well the team is young and the coaching staff is new" that's like having your hydro bill to pay and you put it off until they are shutting off your power. Action should be taken immediately and voices should be heard. Nothing would be accomplished if the Government was completely silent and there was no voice of reasoning or logic (which seems rare in government offices, I know)
Booing the team for any reason in the 2nd game of a season isn't going to lead to any positive developments. All it'll do is lead to a bad atmosphere in the arena.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  #95
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
**** the senators
Karlsson is a fourth forward
Anderson, a fluke
Let fall autumn's frauds
Those paper tigers on ice
Hey wait... a walrus

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
  #96
JLewyB
Registered User
 
JLewyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pegulaville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFontaineToMogilny View Post
It's a huge untapped potential for a team like the Sabres. The arena is incredibly quiet. A vocal crowd would not only make the games much more entertaining for the fans, it would give Buffalo a much needed leg up in competing for talent and exposure. True 'european style' fan engagement would be something unique and a huge plus for the team.

Still, the arena is virtually dead. There's nothing outside the generic Let's go Buffalo chant despite the fact that Bob Marley practically gifted Sabres fans the perfect fan song 30 years ago!

If I were the Sabres, I'd go out of my way to designate an area to a booster club or whatever and encourage as much chanting, banner painting, general tomfoolery as possible.

If I lived in Buffalo (and could afford to go to games) I'd start a booster club like this myself.
I remember this(the low arena energy_ being brought up on Schoop and the Bulldog. They mentioned that for some reason Man U has the same problem in London. I estimate its because in both cities, the game is "the place to be." People go to the game because it's the cool thing to do. A similar affect happens to the Lakers during the playoffs where you see a dramatic increase of the "casual fan" in the crowd. And as you stated, the Sabres arena energy is already dampened by tired cheers and a lack of creativity otherwise.

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:07 PM
  #97
thekenneth
Registered User
 
thekenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
the only thing that was disappointing to me was the power player.
cant blame miller on the goals especially not the first one. he only let 2 in off a **** load of shots. a few bad passes to set up shots. this is a team that probably will finish 20th place overall at the very best. very low expectation year. be fun to see if players grow which rookies are nhl ready.

thekenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  #98
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard
 
Sabre the Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
On a side note for anyone who wants to stream the game tonight, you need to download VLC Player and I will post the link a half hour prior to the game which will give you a HD Stream of the game thru Game Center for free.

I will do this for every game. Instead of buying Game Center you can stream it for free but shhhh

Sabre the Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  #99
cybresabre
Smooth as Marzette G
 
cybreSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: wNY
Posts: 7,851
vCash: 1001
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
OT:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Sabres...dp/B000W8BRX4/

Sabres Youth Replica Jersey - L/XL - $11

Saw this at slickdeals, in case anyone is looking for a kids jersey.
There are also have been a number of reebok sabres shirts/sweatshirts/hats that have been under $10. The wife and I got matching shirts (kids sizes actually fit) for less than $4.00 apiece, shipped.

Here's an adult medium for $3.70. Craziness

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  #100
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
On a side note for anyone who wants to stream the game tonight, you need to download VLC Player and I will post the link a half hour prior to the game which will give you a HD Stream of the game thru Game Center for free.

I will do this for every game. Instead of buying Game Center you can stream it for free but shhhh
http://imgur.com/a/u5j22 or people can add the script to VLC that automatically adds each day's games to the playlist.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.