HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

My Leafs- Post CBA

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
  #1
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,354
vCash: 500
My Leafs- Post CBA

With all the people forecasting the Leafs demise post CBA (big surprise) I thought I'd try and make my post CBA lineup to fit under a possible $36 million cap.

I think it's funny that some people think the Leafs won't know how to compete being limited to a $36 million payroll. You shouldn't forget that as recently as the 2000-2001 season their payroll was around $40 million. Why not ask Ottawa how that season turned out.

In fact I think it's interesting to note that during that season both Washington and San Jose had higher payrolls than the Leafs did. Furthermore, Buffalo, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Florida all had payrolls within $10 million of Toronto's. It's amazing how perceptions can change over the course of a few short seasons.

Anyway, here's my scenario. For this scenario, I assumed that there is a 24% rollback and that last seasons contracts are not honoured.

Say goodbye to:
Joe Nieuwendyk
Gary Roberts
Alex Mogilny
Tie Domi
Robert Reichel
Mikael Renberg
Trevor Kidd

Buy out/trade/dump:
Ken Klee

Restructured Contracts:
Mats Sundin (take $2 million off next year/ add another year at $5 million)
Owen Nolan (take $2 million off next year/ add another year at $3.5 million)

UFAs to sign/re-sign:
Eric Lindros
Jason Allison
Brian Leetch
Bryan Marchment

Newcomers:
Alex Steen
Kyle Wellwood
Carlo Colaiacovo
Mikael Tellqvist
Roman Kukumberg
Colin Murphy
Clarke Wilm

Salaries:
Sundin................$4.8 million
Belfour.................4.5
Nolan...................3.6
McCabe................3.5
Leetch.................3.5
Kaberle.................2.2
Tucker.................1.6
Lindros.................1.5
Allison..................1.3
Antropov...............1.1
Berg.....................0.9
Stajan..................0.8
Wellwood ..............0.8
Colaiacovo.............0.8
Steen...................0.8
Ponikarovksy..........0.7
Belak....................0.6
Kukumberg.............0.5
Murphy.................0.5
Marchment............0.5
Pilar.....................0.5
Tellqvist................0.5
Wilm.....................0.5
Total...................$36 million

Lineup:

Steen-----------Sundin------Lindros
Ponikarovsky----Allison------Antropov
Tucker----------Stajan-------Nolan
Kukumberg------Wellwood----Murphy

Leetch------McCabe
Kaberle------Berg
Colaiacovo---Marchment

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Wilm
Belak
Pilar

Notes:
- I have a guy like Kukumberg listed, but I realize that a player like Mikael Samuelsson might be just as realistic in that spot. I just thought it'd make more sense to stick with players that we already have. Same goes for Marchment. I put him down because he played with us last year, but really it could be another UFA defenceman.

- Keep in mind that I have left some wiggle room. For simplicity reasons, the lowest I listed any salary was $500,000 but in reality many of those players won't even make that much. For example Pilar didn't even make that much last year. So if you take that into account there still is some room to manouever.

- Also the salaries for the rookies (Wellwood, Colaiacovo, Steen) might be a little high but I'm not really sure what they would make. Can anyone help on that?

- If I couldn't get down to the $36 million (ie. Sundin/Nolan won't give up quite that much or Lindros/Allison demand more) I'd nix Leetch's $3.5 million and replace him with a cheaper, less flashy UFA and bump Kaberle up to the first pairing.

I realize that what I have here probably isn't perfect so feel free to point out any mistakes I've made (nicely). I'd also appreciate any other comments or opinions.


Last edited by Leaf Army: 06-09-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Leaf Army is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 08:34 PM
  #2
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,695
vCash: 500
Mine is pretty close as well .. Leafs best odds are for Lindros and Allison .. Lindros really wants to play in Toronto so we know he will take a bargain price.. Allison while also trying to get back into the league will take less. He has drawn lots of interest though and so Cap room may be an issue ..

I agree the Leetch will be Fergy top own UFA to go after and try for a 2 mil deal .. This is his first big trade and may not want to let all those assets go for nothing and for Leetch it would be NYR or TO and we are not sure the NYR want him back as they rebuild..

I think a Nolan renegotiate if the deal is the best option for all .. Nolan gets another year and that helps CAP room the most as a buyout is wasted cap space. .Might as well keep him and play him. He will have no trade value at that amount with a populated UFA.

Mats or any other contract may be a tougher sell since they lost a year and already taking a 24% hit.. I bet that Mats may do it for the good of the team but I would guess he would only do it to get some combination of his former buddies Roberts, Newy and his pal Domi a NHL job in Toronto, and not someone new. Would Mats take of two mil off for an extra year and keep Leetch perhaps.

Couple of farm favourites I would love to see get a chance Welly and Murphy. The new rules, No red line , breaking the trap, Shoot out, cutting down on obstruction(means more PP) and large roster turnover could not be a better opportunity for Welly. Murphy having turned 25 a few months back makes him a very mature player and he showed even in the physical arena that he is no light weight .. but if they had to play 1 more year in St. Johns to get the franchise off the ground to make room for Newy and Roberts at discount prices I can live with that



Here are actual numbers of RFA Minus 24% for others ..

Quote:

Here are the RFA players and 24% discounts if Qualified at 100% rate

Antropov Nikolai ....$1,325,000.00 ......$1,007,000.00
Belak Wade ...........$1,000,000.00......$ 760,000.00
Berg Aki-Petteri......$1,400,000.00......$1,064,000.00
Colaiacovo Carlo ....$1,100,000.00......$ 836,000.00
Hedin Pierre .............$550,000.00 .....$ 418,000.00
Kilger Chad ..............$800,000.00......$ 608,000.00
Perrott Nathan..........$450,000.00......$ 350,000.00
Pilar Karel.................$525,000.00......$ 400,000.00
Ponikarovsky Alexei..$ 522,500.00 ......$ 400,000.00
Wilm Clarke...............$450,000.00 .....$ 350,000.00

Others (best guess)

Steen Alex ............$ 650,000.00...... $ 650,000.00
Wellwood Kyle .......$ 450,000.00.......$ 350,000.00
Kukumberg Roman ..$ 350,000.00 ......$ 350,000.00
You might only need 1 forward .. Say Lindros.(to replace Mogs and give Mats a true #1 line forward ..

Steen ......Sundin ...... Lindros
Tucker.....Allison........Stajan
Poni........Wellwood....Antropov
Kilger......Murphy.......Kukumberg


Leetch ........McCabe
Kaberle....... Klee
Colaiacovo...Pilar

Belfour
Telly


Last edited by Mess: 07-11-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Mess is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 08:40 PM
  #3
Pulfy14
Registered User
 
Pulfy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
I really like the line of

Tucker-Stajan-Nolan

Pulfy14 is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 09:04 PM
  #4
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,991
vCash: 500
I think we'll get to spend more than $36 million. How much more, I'm not sure, but it'll be more IMO.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
  #5
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I think we'll get to spend more than $36 million. How much more, I'm not sure, but it'll be more IMO.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say WE all hope your right ..

Well except for the pro-owner beating down the players types of course, that want to see the Leafs punished badly ..

Me I like the young players and would have no problem with Stajan, Steen, Carlo, Welly and Murphy in the lineup when the NHL returns .. For the young players this Cap system is the best thing that could happen for them as it promotes lots of turnover and NEEDS them at their prices to fill a roster ..

Mess is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 10:02 PM
  #6
barrel_master
Amber Heard
 
barrel_master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
With all the people forecasting the Leafs demise post CBA (big surprise) I thought I'd try and make my post CBA lineup to fit under a possible $36 million cap.

I think it's funny that some people think the Leafs won't know how to compete being limited to a $36 million payroll. You shouldn't forget that as recently as the 2000-2001 season their payroll was around $40 million. Why not ask Ottawa how that season turned out.

In fact I think it's interesting to note that during that season both Washington and San Jose had higher payrolls than the Leafs did. Furthermore, Buffalo, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Florida all had payrolls within $10 million of Toronto's. It's amazing how perceptions can change over the course of a few short seasons.

Anyway, here's my scenario. For this scenario, I assumed that there is a 24% rollback and that last seasons contracts are not honoured.

Say goodbye to:
Joe Nieuwendyk
Gary Roberts
Alex Mogilny
Tie Domi
Robert Reichel
Mikael Renberg
Trevor Kidd

Buy out/trade/dump:
Ken Klee

Restructured Contracts:
Mats Sundin (take $2 million off next year/ add another year at $5 million)
Owen Nolan (take $2 million off next year/ add another year at $3.5 million)

UFAs to sign/re-sign:
Eric Lindros
Jason Allison
Brian Leetch
Bryan Marchment

Newcomers:
Alex Steen
Kyle Wellwood
Carlo Colaiacovo
Mikael Tellqvist
Roman Kukumberg
Colin Murphy
Clarke Wilm

Salaries:
Sundin................$4.8 million
Belfour.................4.5
Nolan...................3.6
McCabe................3.5
Leetch.................3.5
Kaberle.................2.2
Tucker.................1.6
Lindros.................1.5
Allison..................1.3
Antropov...............1.1
Berg.....................0.9
Stajan..................0.8
Wellwood ..............0.8
Colaiacovo.............0.8
Steen...................0.8
Ponikarovksy..........0.7
Belak....................0.6
Kukumberg.............0.5
Murphy.................0.5
Marchment............0.5
Pilar.....................0.5
Tellqvist................0.5
Wilm.....................0.5
Total...................$36 million

Lineup:

Steen-----------Sundin------Lindros
Ponikarovsky----Allison------Antropov
Tucker----------Stajan-------Nolan
Kukumberg------Wellwood----Murphy

Leetch------McCabe
Kaberle------Berg
Colaiacovo---Marchment

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Wilm
Belak
Pilar

Notes:
- I have a guy like Kukumberg listed, but I realize that a player like Mikael Samuelsson might be just as realistic in that spot. I just thought it'd make more sense to stick with players that we already have. Same goes for Marchment. I put him down because he played with us last year, but really it could be another UFA defenceman.

- Keep in mind that I have left some wiggle room. For simplicity reasons, the lowest I listed any salary was $500,000 but in reality many of those players won't even make that much. For example Pilar didn't even make that much last year. So if you take that into account there still is some room to manouever.

- Also the salaries for the rookies (Wellwood, Colaiacovo, Steen) might be a little high but I'm not really sure what they would make. Can anyone help on that?

- If I couldn't get down to the $36 million (ie. Sundin/Nolan won't give up quite that much or Lindros/Allison demand more) I'd nix Leetch's $3.5 million and replace him with a cheaper, less flashy UFA and bump Kaberle up to the first pairing.

I realize that what I have here probably isn't perfect so feel free to point out any mistakes I've made (nicely). I'd also appreciate any other comments or opinions.
That's one of the things I wouldn't want to see post CBA, a team that would have to dump old contracts + players. But in all honesty, I don't think TO will miss Roberts or Nieuwendyk that much especially if Steen is supposed to be as good as everyone says he is.

barrel_master is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 10:43 PM
  #7
Mike1
Registered User
 
Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
No tough guy in the line-up everyday? Either they are going play Belak regularly or resign Domi.

Mike1 is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
  #8
LadyByngJeanRatelle
Registered User
 
LadyByngJeanRatelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
I keep seeing Steen in everyone's lineup.

Is it a done deal that he's coming over next year?

Isn't Steen a C? Can he play the wing?

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:08 PM
  #9
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,154
vCash: 500
I would rather see Wellwood in AHL next year than him playing on the 4th line.

BuppY is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
  #10
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
I keep seeing Steen in everyone's lineup.

Is it a done deal that he's coming over next year?

Isn't Steen a C? Can he play the wing?
I think at times he played on the wing last season in the SEL

It's not certain that he's coming over, but Id say its probable since Leafs management expressed interest in doing so for the AHL playoffs. I suppose its fine if people want to pencil him in for a NHL-spot then...but I see a lot of people putting him on the first line..Im not sure if he'd be ready for that yet.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
  #11
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
I would rather see Wellwood in AHL next year than him playing on the 4th line.
Maybe. But remember we had Reichel (a smallish, skilled guy like Kyle) play on checking lines the past few years and he did fine...carried guys like Domi offensively. The key for wellwood will be his defensive game and if it can translate into the NHL.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:16 PM
  #12
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
I think at times he played on the wing last season in the SEL

It's not certain that he's coming over, but Id say its probable since Leafs management expressed interest in doing so for the AHL playoffs. I suppose its fine if people want to pencil him in for a NHL-spot then...but I see a lot of people putting him on the first line..Im not sure if he'd be ready for that yet.
I think it all depends on the Olympic decision via NHL players .. If they get a new CBA but that will not include NHLers in Turin the I think Steen will stay in Sweden till after the Games and join Toronto in the second half of the season ..

I agree he is likely not going to get 1st line ice .. Particularly with Quinn .. But Sundin would be a good mentor for him though .. In fact I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs resigned Newy and the Leafs made a 3rd line of

Steen .... Newy .... Stajan

Where you might see the youngsters taking shifts at centre and Joe working on player development .. That is what I would do .. resign Roberts and throw him back with Mats and forget about the UFA market in year 1 unless the prices were too good to pass up ..

Mess is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:24 PM
  #13
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I think it all depends on the Olympic decision via NHL players .. If they get a new CBA but that will not include NHLers in Turin the I think Steen will stay in Sweden till after the Games and join Toronto in the second half of the season ..

I agree he is likely not going to get 1st line ice .. Particularly with Quinn .. But Sundin would be a good mentor for him though .. In fact I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs resigned Newy and the Leafs made a 3rd line of

Steen .... Newy .... Stajan

Where you might see the youngsters taking shifts at centre and Joe working on player development .. That is what I would do .. resign Roberts and throw him back with Mats and forget about the UFA market in year 1 unless the prices were too good to pass up ..
I think thats one incentive to bring back (at reduced cost if they accept it) both of those guys, particularly Nieuwendyk. He was important for Stajan's development (they roomed together) and he could do the same for guys like Steen.

Who knows, maybe Niewendyk would be easier/cheaper to sign than a guy like Allison, who would get quite a bit of interest league wide Im sure.

Anyways, looks like we'll see how creative JFJ can get this summer.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:31 PM
  #14
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
I think thats one incentive to bring back (at reduced cost if they accept it) both of those guys, particularly Nieuwendyk. He was important for Stajan's development (they roomed together) and he could do the same for guys like Steen.

Who knows, maybe Niewendyk would be easier/cheaper to sign than a guy like Allison, who would get quite a bit of interest league wide Im sure.

Anyways, looks like we'll see how creative JFJ can get this summer.
Roberts dedication to Physical fitness and health and Newy's personality and leadership would be exactly what I would want if DEVELOPMENT in the focus ..

Gary would but the kids through strength and fitness exercises and Newy would make them into better hockey players and MEN ..

With the Baby leafs in town as well you could have joint practices and workouts etc .. So Roberts and Newy could also benefit the Williams, Mitchell's, Sagat's, Ondrus


Last edited by Mess: 06-09-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Mess is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 12:37 AM
  #15
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Steen-----------Sundin------Lindros
Ponikarovsky----Allison------Antropov
Tucker----------Stajan-------Nolan
Kukumberg------Wellwood----Murphy

Leetch------McCabe
Kaberle------Berg
Colaiacovo---Marchment

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Wilm
Belak
Pilar
. . .
I like your lineup- a lot. I'd be willing to give Kronvall or Pilar a regular spot instead of Marchment. I would be very happy to keep Roberts and Nieuwy, but if we replace them with Allison and Lindros then I can certainly live with that too.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that Allison comes with less baggage than Lindros (this is not in response to your post, Army). For one thing, I suspect (but certainly don't know) that the Lindros stuff gets exaggerated. And I remember one or two rather acrimonious contract negotiations with Allison. Both have famous injury problems, of course. Lindros loves the Leafs (it seems). Don't know how Allison feels. If I had to choose between them I'd choose Lindros.

Perhaps we could have Lindros and keep Roberts?

timlap is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 02:25 AM
  #16
Homer J. Leafs
Registered User
 
Homer J. Leafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Justin&Mats was here
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Why? Buy out/trade/dump:
Ken Klee

He had a great year with the Leafs, and he is a great mentor!! I really do think in a re-building team he is a perfect tutor for the young guys.

Why re-sign?
Bryan Marchment

He was horrible. One of the slowest defenceman in the League.

Try to re-sign Nieuwendyk and Roberts. Keep the Tucker-Stajan-Nolan line together.
If no Nieuwendyk and Roberts put Antropov on Sundin's wing (and Lindros too).
Play Steen as a winger on the Ponikarovsky/Wellwood line. Keep Kilger as a centre. Give a shot to Murphy and Kukumberg on the 4th line. Take a long look at Vorobiev and Semenov. I think Dimitry can make it, and maybe Maxim too
^^This is my "new CBA Leafs"

Homer J. Leafs is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 04:39 AM
  #17
Raven25
Registered User
 
Raven25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New West
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Leafs
Why? Buy out/trade/dump:
Ken Klee

He had a great year with the Leafs, and he is a great mentor!! I really do think in a re-building team he is a perfect tutor for the young guys.
I agree Klee needs to stay, and considering he was signed in advance of the apocalypse with JFJ in full understanding of it's imminence I think it's a fairly strong indicator of his intentions to have Klee around. Also, with no Leetch being in the pictures here it would likely mean McCabe and Kaberle as 1-2 and I think Klee would be the perfect buffer for Coliacovo in allowing him to experiment in the bigs to find his niche of an offensive / defensive balance. Klee has been very good in allowing Kabby that in the past. I'd rather see Cola with Klee than Berg, considering he (Cola) is going to be on the second or, more likely, third pairing if he makes the team.

Raven25 is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 07:18 AM
  #18
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
I would rather see Wellwood in AHL next year than him playing on the 4th line.
Remember he's only on the 4th line on paper. If we got an injury (which is likely) I think he'd be a good candidate to move up. I don't have any problem with Wellwood getting his feet wet on the 4th line for a while.

And realistically I think that would be more likely to happen than to see him jump onto the 2nd or 3rd line right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
but I see a lot of people putting him on the first line..Im not sure if he'd be ready for that yet.
He's a skilled guy and reports say that he's in good shape so he should have the endurance. And he's a good two way player so he wouldn't hurt them that way either.

I don't think playing with Mats would be too hard. Hoglund played there. Modin did almost from the time he came to the Leafs. Even Bohonos was there for a while with a quite a bit of success. I think Steen would be capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I like your lineup- a lot. I'd be willing to give Kronvall or Pilar a regular spot instead of Marchment.
Kronwall's interesting, but I'd hesitate with Pilar. I like him, but if you inserted him into the lineup I posted, that would give us only one stay-at-home defenceman (Berg) and that would make me uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Leafs
Why? Buy out/trade/dump:
Ken Klee

He had a great year with the Leafs, and he is a great mentor!! I really do think in a re-building team he is a perfect tutor for the young guys.
I agree Klee had a great year. When healthy he's a very good top 4 defenceman. Problem is that he usually gets injured once per year and he's usually worn down by the time the playoffs come. And he's not capable of logging a lot of icetime.

He's the one guy that I think we shouldn't have resigned. Very good player- almost never makes a mistake and he improved his offense last year. But he just makes too much money for what he brings. I don't have problem with the star players making a lot of money, but to fit under a cap, I'm not sure we should be paying Klee $2 million. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Leafs
Why re-sign?
Bryan Marchment

He was horrible. One of the slowest defenceman in the League.
Like I said, I just inserted him for simplicity reasons and that it could just as easily be another FA defeceman.

But I disagree that he was horrible. He was okay last year. I put him down because he's; a) cheap b) stay-at-home and c) physical.

He loves playing for the Leafs and played his heart out last year. For the most part he stayed disciplined and we didn't see too much of his dirty play. And as always, his very presence in the lineup is enough to get some players thinking twice about making that extra move at the blueline.

Some people forget why we needed a player like Marchment so bad in the first place. Our defence wasn't nearly physical enough and we needed a player back there who could put fear into the other team.

I'm not neccessarily saying we should re-sign Marchment, but it wouldn't be the worst thing under the scenario I proposed (as long as he doesn't take a spot from Colaiacovo). His biggest weakness is that he's not good enough to play a regular shift on the PK. We need a big, tough, crease clearer who can kill penalties.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 07:18 AM
  #19
SENSible1*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I think we'll get to spend more than $36 million. How much more, I'm not sure, but it'll be more IMO.
And what are you basing this opinion on, other than wishful thinking?

SENSible1* is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 07:26 AM
  #20
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
And what are you basing this opinion on, other than wishful thinking?
This is a thread discussing scenarios about how the Leafs could potentially fit under a $36 million cap.

Please don't take it off topic so you can pursue your usual nonsense.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:03 AM
  #21
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I think we'll get to spend more than $36 million. How much more, I'm not sure, but it'll be more IMO.
Hate to break it to you....

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hoc...f-1080333.html

It doesn't look like the big money Leafs will get to spend any more than any other team. Whether the overall league-wide cap is $36 million or slightly higher than that remains to be seen. But the team-by-team cap based on revenues dream is dead.

As for the $36 million lineup, I have to join all the others in forecasting the Leafs demise. You're relying on Allison AND Lindros signing dirt-cheap deals while some big names take pay cuts on existing contracts. Even then, you'll probably have to leave some room for injuries or flexibility in terms of making trades later in the year. I think the actual Leafs lineup will be *shudder* worse than the ones listed here. And that's if all rookies actually turn out to be as good as hoped for at the NHL level, which is unlikely.

CGG is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
  #22
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Hate to break it to you....
You're relying on Allison AND Lindros signing dirt-cheap deals while some big names take pay cuts on existing contracts. Even then, you'll probably have to leave some room for injuries or flexibility in terms of making trades later in the year. I think the actual Leafs lineup will be *shudder* worse than the ones listed here. And that's if all rookies actually turn out to be as good as hoped for at the NHL level, which is unlikely.
How many teams without sold out season ticket holders are going to be able to afford a 30 million dollar payroll?

The rich teams are going to be raking in the profits, and their players are going to be living uptown while the teams who can't afford to even pay the floor (22 million) are going to have their players living eastside.

So what does that revenue now buy the Rangers, Flyers, Blues, Avs?

Best practice facilities.
Best transportation.
Best coaches and trainers.
Best medical facilities.
Best 2-way contracts.
Best scratch my back, scratch your back endorsement deals.
Best shareholder return.
Best appearance fees for appearing on corporately owned media outlets.
Best wives clubs opportunities.

Yep, those rich teams are really going to be hurt.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
  #23
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
How many teams without sold out season ticket holders are going to be able to afford a 30 million dollar payroll?

The rich teams are going to be raking in the profits, and their players are going to be living uptown while the teams who can't afford to even pay the floor (22 million) are going to have their players living eastside.

So what does that revenue now buy the Rangers, Flyers, Blues, Avs?

Best practice facilities.
Best transportation.
Best coaches and trainers.
Best medical facilities.
Best 2-way contracts.
Best scratch my back, scratch your back endorsement deals.
Best shareholder return.
Best appearance fees for appearing on corporately owned media outlets.
Best wives clubs opportunities.

Yep, those rich teams are really going to be hurt.
Huh?

The Leafs will spend $27 million on only 8 players next year. That means they will have $9 million leftover to pay 15 players. Do the math. Are you trying to tell me that the Leafs will still be able to sign every overaged overpriced UFA that comes along just because of all the "fringe benefits" of playing in Toronto?

"Okay Eric Lindros, because of the salary cap we can only afford to give you $500k when other teams are offering you $2.5 million, but Toronto has a great practice facility (have you ever actually seen Lakeshore Lions Arena? Yech.) and great transportation. Whatever that means. Plus great shareholder return, however you are not a shareholder so that does nothing for you. Please sign here, if you one day have a wife she will have great wife club opportunities."

I'm convinced!

CGG is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:40 AM
  #24
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
As for the $36 million lineup, I have to join all the others in forecasting the Leafs demise. You're relying on Allison AND Lindros signing dirt-cheap deals while some big names take pay cuts on existing contracts. Even then, you'll probably have to leave some room for injuries or flexibility in terms of making trades later in the year. I think the actual Leafs lineup will be *shudder* worse than the ones listed here. And that's if all rookies actually turn out to be as good as hoped for at the NHL level, which is unlikely.
Keep hoping.

Volcanologist is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:51 AM
  #25
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Huh?

The Leafs will spend $27 million on only 8 players next year.
I'm convinced!
How much in 2006?
How much in 2007?

Did you know they are talking a 6 year deal?

Oh, I doubt 8 players will be collecting 27 million from the Leafs payroll come this October. At worst, they'll bite the dust and buy-out players, and go with a scab line-up this year.

Oh, the majority of Leaf fans have already agreed they'd be happy with scabs for this year.

It's in the plan.

ULF_55 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.