HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay-Bo appreciation thread

Old
10-04-2013, 01:08 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Jay-Bo appreciation thread

I just wanted to start a thread about Jay Bouwmeester and the solid play he brings to our top pairing. He makes up half of one of the best pairings in the NHL, His skating allows him to recover from his mistakes, and his conditioning allows him to play huge minutes.

I still can't believe we got him for what we did. He was way underrated at the time of the trade due to his salary and the Flames lack of success during his tenure. I'm very happy to have him in a Blues' sweater.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:36 AM
BlueDream

Great thread. I'm a huge Jay Bouw fan. The guy is an excellent player. His combo of size, skating, and intelligence is remarkable. He positions himself well to make good defensive plays and can jump into the offense with his speed while making it so easy.

We're lucky to have the top pairing that we do. They control the game out there and it's awesome.

Very happy with the trade, I thought we got him for cheap. The only valuable thing IMO was the first-rounder, but Bouwmeester is more valuable to this team than a draft choice at this point.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:05 AM
Bluesman91

Hopefully he has a monster year this year and can prove everyone how good of a player he really is. But then they will just contribute his success to "Well Pietrangelo is his partner."

I also love the people who say he isn't physical. The guy shoves everyone around and is a great crease clearer.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:19 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Duel Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I just wanted to start a thread about Jay Bouwmeester and the solid play he brings to our top pairing. He makes up half of one of the best pairings in the NHL, His skating allows him to recover from his mistakes, and his conditioning allows him to play huge minutes.

I still can't believe we got him for what we did. He was way underrated at the time of the trade due to his salary and the Flames lack of success during his tenure. I'm very happy to have him in a Blues' sweater.
Spot on, it's amazing Flames GM Feaster still has a job, and with Brian Burke there now it shouldn't be much longer.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

vCash: 1050
I'm loving the trade right now. At first I thought Cundari looked really good with the Flames and I regretted trading him, but then he didn't even make the flames roster out of camp this year and I immediately feel better.

I'm excited to see him, for a long time!

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:21 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 50
When people say Jaybo I soft, I wonder if people think the majority of the NHL is soft.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
ExJbeck

I was pumped when i saw how quick some of our transitions were last night. It going to make for a plethora of odd man rushes.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Mike Liut

When people say he's soft, he's no more or less soft that Petro, Shatty, MacInnis, Housley, Coffey, Bourgue and Lidstrom.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
When people say Jaybo I soft, I wonder if people think the majority of the NHL is soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
When people say he's soft, he's no more or less soft that Petro, Shatty, MacInnis, Housley, Coffey, Bourgue and Lidstrom.
I think it's the fact that some people thought he was soft and it spread, with nobody bothering to see if it was true.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:31 PM
The Note
Time's a Flat Circle

I've got to be honest, I was pretty anti-Bouwmeester before the trade. This was largely due to his contract and what I thought it would take to get him out of Calgary. But for what we gave up, how he compliments Petro, and now that he's got an more cap friendly extension I couldn't be happier about him wearing the bluenote. Great move by Army.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Green Star
Seggy #91

Due to some comment made by Mike Peca, there is a video on youtube, Peca was saying how he liked to play against J-Bo because Jay was soft and all.

Green Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 04:25 PM
SteenMachine

It's hard to complain about a guy who's always a part of the play. That skating and reach give him so much ability to jump into the the zone and get right where he needs to be to effect the play. He doesn't necessarily have a big impact when he's there, but that's one guy you can never let your eyes off of.

Either way I'm just excited to have Colaiacovo off our freaking PP, he can fumble the puck on someone else's point for the rest of his career.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

He's not flashy but damn is he effective. It's all the little things he does that you don't notice unless you are paying attention.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:50 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

He almost had a goal on that sneak play. His speed makes him so dangerous.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
He almost had a goal on that sneak play. His speed makes him so dangerous.
Exactly. You see the play develop without him and them boom, he's right in the middle of it. I've got a feeling his offensive totals are going to increase for us. He's been all over.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 103
Apparently at some point tonight he had a shift that went like 1:56 and got back to the bench and was totally good and not winded at all.

Just ridiculous conditioning.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Apparently at some point tonight he had a shift that went like 1:56 and got back to the bench and was totally good and not winded at all.

Just ridiculous conditioning.
Was on the PK for that shift.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:51 AM
simon in canada

[QnUOTE=Mike Liut;72008151]When people say he's soft, he's no more or less soft that Petro, Shatty, MacInnis, Housley, Coffey, Bourgue and Lidstrom.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to nit-pick, but every D-man you mentioned was/is a two-way player except for Housley. ( I'm kind of iffy on Coffey, too, but I'll give you that.) Phil Housley actually shied away from physical contact. He was a perfect example of a one-dimensional, offense only player. Jaybo is a much more complete player now than Housley ever was.

simon in canada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:36 AM
execwrite

Per JR

Letís go to the scales: Since Bouwmeester arrived, the Blues are 23-5-3 in regular-season play. Yep, good definitely is outweighing bad.

Wow.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
illninofan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Hopefully he has a monster year this year and can prove everyone how good of a player he really is. But then they will just contribute his success to "Well Pietrangelo is his partner."

I also love the people who say he isn't physical. The guy shoves everyone around and is a great crease clearer.
THIS.

He's no Chris Pronger, but his physical game shouldn't be overlooked and he only helps further the Blues' reputation as a big, physical, hard-working team.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Edgar

So, we've all heard the analysts say the J-Bo has an outside chance of making team Canada, and we've all heard everyone else say "oh, that's a nice thought"...

Among Canadian defensemen, he is tied for 3rd in total points (with a certain Blues defenseman... If you can't guess who this is, GET OUT!). The drop off the fifth in points is by 4 points, a pretty major gap at this point in the season.

Also, his plus minus is the best? (Can't remember for sure, but I think it's true) among Canadian D-men, and with Petro having a potential Norris year, it only makes sense to stick the two of them on a line together since the have the chemistry and are two of the very best D-men in the league right now.

Also, Hitch is a coach. GO J-BO!!!

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
BlueDream

He should make it. He's playing great hockey.

Nice job by him to step up on McGinn which led to Backes' goal. He's soo soft though.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Colt 55
RIP Oscar and Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
He should make it. He's playing great hockey.

Nice job by him to step up on McGinn which led to Backes' goal. He's soo soft though.
Not sure if serious. Please, don't be serious.

Colt 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 08:53 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by We're Doan Here View Post
Not sure if serious. Please, don't be serious.
he's not serious.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 08:55 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
he's not serious.
He might be serious.....

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote