HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Alex Tuch (2014, 18th, MIN)

Old
06-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Wild draft the kid......crickets......

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Comparable to Wayne Simmonds?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 09:11 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Wild continue to be everyone else's afterthought. Let it be that right up to us taking the cup and shocking the world.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm willing to bet that if you made a list of all the NHL teams and left Minnesota off, we would be the only ones who noticed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
So, the Wild picked him.

Can somebody give me a brief scouting report? I've read a little about him and from what I've heard, he sounds good.
Very big, 6'4" solid 200 plus pounds. Very skilled, good board winner and puck protector. Questionable skating and defense.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Very big, 6'4" solid 200 plus pounds. Very skilled, good board winner and puck protector. Questionable skating and defense.
Not concerned about the 2nd one; a little concerned about the first one. Was he noticeably lagging behind Eichel and Milano?

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

I'm not worried about his skating, I'm worried about his offensive upside. He played on a completely stacked line and got first unit PP time, yet nearly got outscored by the 2nd line center. He was also wayyy behind Milano and Eichel in points.

I see him as a great big complimentary forward for a scoring line. He'll play an imposing game and camp out in front of the net and pick up 40 points by making life easier for his linemates. But he won't be a skill guy.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
P10p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I'm not worried about his skating, I'm worried about his offensive upside. He played on a completely stacked line and got first unit PP time, yet nearly got outscored by the 2nd line center. He was also wayyy behind Milano and Eichel in points.

I see him as a great big complimentary forward for a scoring line. He'll play an imposing game and camp out in front of the net and pick up 40 points by making life easier for his linemates. But he won't be a skill guy.
Not worried about really anything about him tbh. Just hope he can keep developing. Every scouting report I've read has said hes an excellent skater for being such a big guy. And too be fair, the second line center was Larkin. Larkin was drafted ahead of Tuch. Larkin is no slouch, nor is Tuch. I think this was a solid pick at 18. Looking forward to watching him grow

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 05:27 PM
AKL

So early on into his freshman year at BC, he's tied for team lead in points (with other Wild prospect Adam Gilmour ), BC also has him listed as a C from what I saw (not sure if accurate).

Any BC fans enlighten us on what they see so far? Who's he playing with, what kind of minutes, which PP unit, any PK at all.. Pretty much anything you can tell us. I noticed he's had points in 3 of his first 4 so far, and actually 3 straight as well.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
So early on into his freshman year at BC, he's tied for team lead in points (with other Wild prospect Adam Gilmour ), BC also has him listed as a C from what I saw (not sure if accurate).

Any BC fans enlighten us on what they see so far? Who's he playing with, what kind of minutes, which PP unit, any PK at all.. Pretty much anything you can tell us. I noticed he's had points in 3 of his first 4 so far, and actually 3 straight as well.
Tuch had two assists vs CC on 10/24 and his primary assist is shown below, while the other was secondary and came on a softy. The next night he had 1+1 vs UMass and his 2-on-1 snipe is also included below, while his assist came on the ENG in that one. He played RW with Gilmour centering his line in these two games.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2014, 08:56 AM
WILDTATE10

He looks really big

Hopefully him and Gilmore can continue there good starts to the season

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Watched bits of the game last night vs. BU.. thought he was dominant. 2g. 1a. in a huge game. Love this prospect alot

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Alexandrov

Highlights somewhere?

Alexandrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 02:07 PM
cybresabre
Come back, Jack

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrov View Post
Highlights somewhere?

Quick recap from the opposition feed, but:
Tuch got the secondary assist (not shown) on the goal at 0:30, and scored the goals at 0:34 and immediately following at 0:43.

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Was the pick I wanted and expected from the Flyers last year.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2015, 05:18 PM
NinthSpoke06

BC season ticket holder here, he is far and away the best forward on the team.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2015, 11:22 PM
NinthSpoke06

Maybe I'm going crazy and I'm certainly not an expert and even though he won't top Johnny Gaudreau's numbers as a freshmen, I think this kid is the best freshmen forward I've ever seen at BC (in my 15 years watching). I love this kid.

For you Wild fans, he's single handedly taken Adam Gilmour's game to the next level as well.

Old
01-31-2015, 04:46 AM
ZigZag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post
Maybe I'm going crazy and I'm certainly not an expert and even though he won't top Johnny Gaudreau's numbers as a freshmen, I think this kid is the best freshmen forward I've ever seen at BC (in my 15 years watching). I love this kid.

For you Wild fans, he's single handedly taken Adam Gilmour's game to the next level as well.
I'm a Wild fan,, I've been a huge fan of Tuch since before the draft and was and am thrilled we got him. I've read up about him a bit and saw him at the the Wilds rookie camp, and the WJC.

From what I've noticed is:

1. He uses his size well especially in front of the net. I haven't seen him enough to gauge his board play, but would assume it to be good?

2. He does seems have a quick and accurate wrist shot, but not all that sure how his slapshot is.

3. He didn't look to have a quick first step, but after that he looks to have some speed for someone his size.

4. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't really there,,, I see a big forward that plays not only good for his size, but actually has the reflexes of a smaller player. There isn't much information on him so maybe you could confirm what I sense is that he has quite the mean streak which is greatly needed on the Wild, would you agree with that somewhat or am I off the mark.

If you could give me a little feedback I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I've been giving him high praise on the forum and to a few friends, but I'm not receiving the same level of excitement in return.

Last edited by ZigZag: 01-31-2015 at 04:53 AM.
ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldweirdharold View Post
I'm a Wild fan,, I've been a huge fan of Tuch since before the draft and was and am thrilled we got him. I've read up about him a bit and saw him at the the Wilds rookie camp, and the WJC.

From what I've noticed is:

1. He uses his size well especially in front of the net. I haven't seen him enough to gauge his board play, but would assume it to be good?

2. He does seems have a quick and accurate wrist shot, but not all that sure how his slapshot is.

3. He didn't look to have a quick first step, but after that he looks to have some speed for someone his size.

4. Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't really there,,, I see a big forward that plays not only good for his size, but actually has the reflexes of a smaller player. There isn't much information on him so maybe you could confirm what I sense is that he has quite the mean streak which is greatly needed on the Wild, would you agree with that somewhat or am I off the mark.

If you could give me a little feedback I'd appreciate it.

Edit: I've been giving him high praise on the forum and to a few friends, but I'm not receiving the same level of excitement in return.
Couple points:
I don't think I've seen him take a slap shot yet. Not that that means much, there just hasn't been many opportunities.
He may not be the fastest, but his skating isn't going to hinder him at the next level. He's not like some 1990s fighter out there who can't move. He can skate just fine, he just won't win any fastest skater skills competitions out there.

The way I see it is that he isn't going to be a prototypical power forward. He is going to be a big guy, who can get to the dirty areas and hold his own but who is also very skilled and able to make plays for his teammates out there. I think he looks a lot like Rick Nash...but I'm not an expert at these things, I'm just a fan.

Old
01-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I'd happily take a poor man's Rick Nash at #17.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Keke

At first I didn't like taking Tuch with Pastrnak, Kapanen and Fabbri still on the boards but now I'm excited about him. His development from last years U18 WHC to this WJC has been great and I can't wait to see him wear the Wild jersey

Keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2015, 01:38 PM
ZigZag

Look at Post #85 the first video that shows his assist,,, looks like he hits the blueline with good speed and makes a nice pass towards the net for an easy tip-in. What I like is during the celebration a player from the other team wanders into their space and Tuch gives him a good shove. I'm impressed to see a freshman set a boundary and be willing to enforce it.

Last night Tuch had 1g 1a and was a +3

ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I still don't get why there are questions about his skating. The kid can fly for his size when he starts rolling. I agree it might not be the quickest first step, but considering his overall size and how he will only get stronger and even more powerful as he grows into that frame, skating will be a strength for him. I see him as a bigger Billy Guerin who could fly out there but most people never gave him credit for it.

Tuch is going to be a real real good player in a few years for the Wild. I don't see any real glaring flaws here as you guys have a gem on your hands.

I think that Boston College overall hasn't played as well as they can with that talent. The team has been up and down offensively which has limited the stats of many of their top guys, but Tuch as a freshman has been a stud.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2015, 12:05 AM
wings5

How does he compare to Bjugstad at the same stage?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2015, 01:25 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I still don't get why there are questions about his skating. The kid can fly for his size when he starts rolling. I agree it might not be the quickest first step, but considering his overall size and how he will only get stronger and even more powerful as he grows into that frame, skating will be a strength for him. I see him as a bigger Billy Guerin who could fly out there but most people never gave him credit for it.

Tuch is going to be a real real good player in a few years for the Wild. I don't see any real glaring flaws here as you guys have a gem on your hands.

I think that Boston College overall hasn't played as well as they can with that talent. The team has been up and down offensively which has limited the stats of many of their top guys, but Tuch as a freshman has been a stud.
Explosiveness is kind of a big deal, to some extent. Almost anybody who's a prospective NHLer is reasonably fast when they get near max speed, but that doesn't help if it takes the guy half the ice surface to get up to a decent speed. Not saying that's necessarily an issue for Tuch, but I've seen this defence of a lot of guys (e.g. Keegan "Bust" Kanzig for the Flames, who is "fast for his size" if you give him 120 feet in a straight line).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote