HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much yrs left on Rivet's contract?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Traitor8

vCash: 500
How much yrs left on Rivet's contract?

1 or 2?

Old
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
1 or 2?
I dont klnow but I hope we dont resign him !

Old
07-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I don't know, but he'll soon play elsewhere, and I'm almost certain of that.

Old
07-13-2005, 10:42 PM
deandebean

Too many. Kick him out.

Old
07-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Wasn't it 4 yrs/12 millions? If so...2 years remaining I think.

Old
07-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I never liked Rivet from the get-go, he's a product of the Houle/Tremblay era.

Remember how those three kids coming in the lineup (Rivet, Rory Fitzpatrick and Chris Murray) was such a big deal back then because there hadn't been an injection of young guys in the team in a while? Well, I actually prefered Chris Murray (For those not in the know, basically Jason Ward with more willingness to drop the gloves and less skills) to Rivet. Tells you how lowly I always thought of Rivet.

But at the same time, Rivets in the NHL is like...a$$holes. Everybody needs one. He'll leave here and find a job elsewhere, easily. It's just that here, we've seem enough of his act and are ready for another player, maybe a younger guy, playing a similar type of game, for less money. That's how stupid it is.

And I'm sending you all back to consider Tomas Kloucek for this role. Young, Physical, Defensively Competent.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Traitor8

Rivet is overpaid..no doubt .. but he doesn't suck at all

Old
07-14-2005, 04:35 AM
Duster

Rivet is overpaid but he is a warrior. The team needs his grit on the blue line. Buying him out would cost too much anyway.

Old
07-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Just so I'm sure I understand, if we buyout Rivet, we can't sign him again this year?

Where's the catch??

Old
07-14-2005, 05:44 AM
RLC

Brisebois and Rivet have to go ( buyout)
BUT the Habs can replace them from the huge UFA pool comming up.
Gainey's choice, get better defencemen or get about the same and save3 million bucks. Concidering the age of Brisebois and Rivet Gainey will be able to get younger and maybe better defemceman.
THIS IS A ONE TIME CHANCE AT A NEAR FREE UPGRADE.

With the new rules, speed is going to be key. Brisebois and Rivet are NOT FAST. Gainey can find two Markov or Surrey types in the UFA pool and at about the same age.

Old
07-14-2005, 06:38 AM
eddy

Rivet is a solid defencemen with good leadership but he is very overpaid. Like Brisebois if kept to a small role he can do very well. I wouldn't mind keeping both around if we can work somthing out with their contracts but if they decide to let them go i'll have no problem with that either.

Old
07-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Rivet is a glue guy on a team that is desperately short on that. Yes, he's overpaid; he was overpaid by the standards of the previous CBA, and he's even more overpaid by the standards of the new one.

But... as a contract cross to bear, at least we're just talking $2.7M here. It's not a Yashin-like albatross. It can be worked around, especially with Brisebois bought out.

We've gone through this before, but it seems like it is worth repeating:

1. The Habs don't seem likely to be right at the $39M cap limit. Space under the cap is therefore not likely to be at such a premium that $2.7M would make any difference.

2. If we buy out Rivet, it's 2/3 of $2.7M, which is $1.8M. If it's two years, that means we hand him $3.6M right now. That's a lot different than Brisebois' $760k buyout.

3. If we buy him out, we have to sign somebody to replace him. That could be another $1M-$2M for an equivalent player. For two years, that's $2-$4M.

4. So if we buy him out, we just dished $5.6-7.6M out. Which is more than his contract.

So how much sense does buying him out make, again????

Old
07-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Rivet is a glue guy on a team that is desperately short on that. Yes, he's overpaid; he was overpaid by the standards of the previous CBA, and he's even more overpaid by the standards of the new one.

But... as a contract cross to bear, at least we're just talking $2.7M here. It's not a Yashin-like albatross. It can be worked around, especially with Brisebois bought out.

1. The Habs don't seem likely to be right at the $39M cap limit. Space under the cap is therefore not likely to be at such a premium that $2.7M would make any difference.

2. If we buy out Rivet, it's 2/3 of $2.7M, which is $1.8M. If it's two years, that means we hand him $3.6M right now. That's a lot different than Brisebois' $760k buyout.

3. If we buy him out, we have to sign somebody to replace him. That could be another $1M-$2M for an equivalent player. For two years, that's $2-$4M.

4. So if we buy him out, we just dished $5.6-7.6M out. Which is more than his contract.

Exactly right. Rivet's contract is not a huge problem. Having no experienced d-men is.

Old
07-14-2005, 07:43 AM
mcphee

Quote:

Well,if ya put it like that... I understand your affection for #43, but I'm thinking he'll be back. The .8 buyout isn't like the CBA buyouts because it's defined by a contractual option, if I'm getting it right. He may figure that a lowball short term offer,including the option buyout makes sense for him and his family. The big ? is how the managemnet team perceives him. That's what we really don't know.I had thought Rivet would be susceptible because it would be cheaper to keep Brisebois, but I hadn't considered the #'s the way you lay them out.

Old
07-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we should keep Craig. He showed he can teach a young d-man what the Nhl game is (Markov). Hope he can do it again with Hainsey.

Old
07-14-2005, 07:48 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Rivet is overpaid..no doubt .. but he doesn't suck at all
???? ?????? ??????

i think that you forgot his last 5 seasons ....

Old
07-14-2005, 07:55 AM

I have absolutely no problem with Rivet, he's overpaid a tad, but he's got alot of experience and plays his heart out with the limited talent he has...

He's a great mentor for young defensman, we've seen the work he's done with Markov, and remember how well he played with Bouwmeester at the World championships a few years ago...

Old
07-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Well,if ya put it like that... I understand your affection for #43, but I'm thinking he'll be back.
I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he's back... the last decade of Habs history (jeez, maybe more than a decade) has conditioned me to expect things like that.

But somewhere I like to carry this little glowing ember of hope that Gainey is different. Smarter. Bolder. He also has the same initials as me.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Top Corner2

Rivet would be hard to replace.

I wouldn't mind having #43 on my team.....as long as we drop the salary.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
tinyzombies

I would get rid of both for reasons previously and often stated.

Yes, Rivet is a leader (unfortunately!). Brisebois is a leader (unfortunately!).

I can't stand either. Neutral zone and defensive zone cough-ups will kill us. We cannot win with these guys in the lineup because our other D are either not experienced or good enough to offset.

Souray and Komisarek may both be liabilities in a league with no red line. Why compound the problem?

Old
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
mcphee

[QUOTE=raketheleaves]I would get rid of both for reasons previously and often stated.

Yes, Rivet is a leader (unfortunately!). Brisebois is a leader (unfortunately!).

I can't stand either. Neutral zone and defensive zone cough-ups will kill us. We cannot win with these guys in the lineup because our other D are either not experienced or good enough to offset.

Souray and Komisarek may both be liabilities in a league with no red line. Why compound the problem?[/QUOT Sometimes you're better off with the devil you know. I think you can hyper focus on your own guys and figure everyone else must be better. I think they're both in the top 1/2 of NHL d men, but just. I think some of the guys you may have in mind are prone to the same mistakes or would tie up too much payroll. Hard to say, ask 20 posters on these 2 and you'll get 20 opinions. I'd be curious to hear their names during evaluation meetings.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:30 PM
tinyzombies

[QUOTE=mcphee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I would get rid of both for reasons previously and often stated.

Souray and Komisarek may both be liabilities in a league with no red line. Why compound the problem?[/QUOT Sometimes you're better off with the devil you know. I think you can hyper focus on your own guys and figure everyone else must be better. I think they're both in the top 1/2 of NHL d men, but just. I think some of the guys you may have in mind are prone to the same mistakes or would tie up too much payroll. Hard to say, ask 20 posters on these 2 and you'll get 20 opinions. I'd be curious to hear their names during evaluation meetings.
It's not about the guys I have in mind.....I ain't no NHL scout.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Sometimes you're better off with the devil you know. I think you can hyper focus on your own guys and figure everyone else must be better. I think they're both in the top 1/2 of NHL d men, but just. I think some of the guys you may have in mind are prone to the same mistakes or would tie up too much payroll. Hard to say, ask 20 posters on these 2 and you'll get 20 opinions. I'd be curious to hear their names during evaluation meetings.
I hear you, but in this situation (at least concerning Brisebois) I figure it is exactly the opposite: I'd be much better off with the devil I don't know. I'm sure if we signed Aucoin or somebody like that, he would become the new devil in relatively short order. I don't have any illusions about that, I hope. But the very fact that Brisebois is a known devil of longstanding devlishness, well, that makes me want to roll the dice on something else. Anything else. Even if it's something worse.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:

No way does a Rivet type of player should make $2M. Yes every team needs that kind of player, especially us with our lack of experience, leadership and grit (wich Rivet is all about), but there is far more cheaper replacement on the market.

Plus, "experience" as we know it won't be a factor for some time, since we're entering a completely new era of NHL hockey. Playoff experience will still be useful, but does Rivet really have valuable playoff experience?

Gainey will take Brisebois' buyout clause, and re-sign him for what he's worth, say around $1.5M. Then he might make a splash for a cheap, gritty d-man (One of Marchment, Pushor, Finley, Grand-Pierre, Kloucek, Ulanov or Doig) for around $700K.

Aside from being Koivu's best friend, Rivet doesn't bring any intengibles to the team, I think Gainey should buy him out for good. Another reasoning for this, is basically the new rule where a team can spend up to $39M total for the whole season. Let me explain myself here.

Say we only sign Kloucek, Brisebois and Kovalev, and we fill our team with cheap youngsters like Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Hossa, Hainsey and Komisarek. Then our payroll adds up to the likes of $34M, and we stay that way for the entire season, then at the trade deadline we will have the possibility to acquire 3 or maybe even 4 playoff performers from bottom feeders, since their salary will have almost all been paid during the season.

All the Higgins and Plekanecs of our team will see minimum ice time during our cup run, but will acquire some kind of playoff experience while the team make a big attempt at the cup. And since the team we will be icing during the season will be a young, full of energy and skill, speedy team, we'll have no problem getting into the Eastern top 6.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I have absolutely no problem with Rivet, he's overpaid a tad, but he's got alot of experience and plays his heart out with the limited talent he has...

He's a great mentor for young defensman, we've seen the work he's done with Markov, and remember how well he played with Bouwmeester at the World championships a few years ago...
You might have "no problem" with him, but we won't win with the kind of d-man into our top 4, and as you said it, he's overpaid.

That type of d-man should not earn more than a million a year, especially if they doesn't have any offensive game like Rivet, and should not be on contending teams. Adam Foote, Chris Pronger, Adrian Aucoin, Scott Stevens, those are the "Craig Rivet" players that contending teams have in their line-up, just like what Mike Komisarek should developp into.

Rivet is just a poor man Aucoin/Pronger/Foote, he can't log big minutes with efficacity, does not have any offensive game, and isn't even on those d-mans' level in terms of defensive game. Plus he's mega slow.

I just think that we will never win with that kind of guy in our lineup. Yes he's a leader, but who cares. Mike Ribeiro could wake up tomorrow morning and decide he wants to be a leader and captain the Montreal Canadiens. Leadership isn't a skill you're born with like stickhandling or shooting, it's just something you get with life experience, at least, IMO.

Closed Thread