HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM
  #401
dnmccoy
Registered User
 
dnmccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus
Posts: 173
vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Um, why?
Why not? With more experience under his belt and the fact that he is a majority of our offense, why wouldnt it work out?

dnmccoy is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 02:02 PM
  #402
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 18,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
Why not? With more experience under his belt and the fact that he is a majority of our offense, why wouldnt it work out?
Because you described a star player, not a captain.

CBJWennberg10 is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 02:15 PM
  #403
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
Why not? With more experience under his belt and the fact that he is a majority of our offense, why wouldnt it work out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Because you described a star player, not a captain.
We have seen this exact scenario work out poorly in the past. Perhaps Johansen has what is needed to be a good captain, but just giving the role to the teams most talented player is not necessarily wise. I think there will probably be a captain named who will act as a bridge until one of the younger players emerges as a leader.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 05:23 PM
  #404
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,426
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
We have seen this exact scenario work out poorly in the past. Perhaps Johansen has what is needed to be a good captain, but just giving the role to the teams most talented player is not necessarily wise. I think there will probably be a captain named who will act as a bridge until one of the younger players emerges as a leader.
Yep.... stars are not always leaders......

Robert is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 06:25 PM
  #405
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
I would think if RyJo keeps developing and they resign him to a multi year deal he would be a good candidate for the C
I'm not sure JOEY is leadership kinda guy. I'm not sure he is not, either. I am just wary of stapling the C to whomever the "best player" is at the moment.

...and the Ryjo moniker is so People Magazine, right? The team calls him Joey, HCTR refers to him as Joey, no one but hf posters cling to Ryjo.

Derby is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
  #406
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 18,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I'm not sure JOEY is leadership kinda guy. I'm not sure he is not, either. I am just wary of stapling the C to whomever the "best player" is at the moment.

...and the Ryjo moniker is so People Magazine, right? The team calls him Joey, HCTR refers to him as Joey, no one but hf posters cling to Ryjo.
I've heard people call him RyJo in public before. Joey, RyJo, Johan, etc. All the same, it don't matter

CBJWennberg10 is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 06:35 PM
  #407
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I've heard people call him RyJo in public before. Joey, RyJo, Johan, etc. All the same, it don't matter
Haha, were those people calling him RyJo wearing sassy soccer scarves?

It's amusing, that's all.

Derby is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 09:29 PM
  #408
Dirtydownshift
Registered User
 
Dirtydownshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Haha, were those people calling him RyJo wearing sassy soccer scarves?

It's amusing, that's all.
and Joey is adorable now...but wonder when he grows out of that?

Dirtydownshift is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
  #409
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Its looking more and more likely that Dubinsky will just be an A and they will wait on Jenner/Murray to be the C.
That's what I'd like to see, though I'm not sure about Jenner/Murray's public speaking abilities, and ability to handle extra public scrutiny. I'm not doubting it, I just have no idea because we haven't seen them in that context. We have plenty of time to find out.

Johansen is a scoring star but I think if you look at teams' that give the C to a star it's often like Staal in Carolina or Spezza in Ottawa: it looks great when they're on fire and awful when they're not. Splitting the captain role from the offence-leading role is appealing to me.

major major is offline  
Old
03-27-2014, 10:14 PM
  #410
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
That's what I'd like to see, though I'm not sure about Jenner/Murray's public speaking abilities, and ability to handle extra public scrutiny. I'm not doubting it, I just have no idea because we haven't seen them in that context. We have plenty of time to find out.

Johansen is a scoring star but I think if you look at teams' that give the C to a star it's often like Staal in Carolina or Spezza in Ottawa: it looks great when they're on fire and awful when they're not. Splitting the captain role from the offence-leading role is appealing to me.
Yeah me too. At this time, I don't want Joey wearing the C. I could see Murray but really, I don't have much of an idea. I thought earlier in the year they should award one already, and it should be to Duby, but it didn't happen and it doesn't seem like a bad idea for it not to have. I'm starting to come around to the thinking of those who have insisted there's no rush.

Anyway, wrong thread, sorry, but no, I don't see Joey wearing the C.

Incidentally, the tape on the camera thing is really just a feel-good little moment but I like that he's having fun doing that here in Columbus (or there in Columbus). It's great he seems comfortable t/here and hopefully we won't have to worry too much about him aggressively looking to different markets to play in.

db2011 is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 05:24 AM
  #411
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
and Joey is adorable now...but wonder when he grows out of that?
When hockey players stop referring to each other by nicknames.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 05:35 AM
  #412
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
When hockey players stop referring to each other by nicknames.

Fat chance of that happening, Shif Shif

EspenK is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 07:27 AM
  #413
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Fat chance of that happening, Shif Shif
A buddy and I once concocted a theory by which believed a player's hockey nickname was determined.

Take the first syllable of player's last name and add:
-o or -(e)s for European players
-y/-i or -er for North Americans

This was subject to adjustment as needed, based on the peculiarities of a player's family name. I think this is what a captain is for.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 07:54 AM
  #414
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
A buddy and I once concocted a theory by which believed a player's hockey nickname was determined.

Take the first syllable of player's last name and add:
-o or -(e)s for European players
-y/-i or -er for North Americans

This was subject to adjustment as needed, based on the peculiarities of a player's family name. I think this is what a captain is for.

So does that make you Lasso?

EspenK is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  #415
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
A buddy and I once concocted a theory by which believed a player's hockey nickname was determined.

Take the first syllable of player's last name and add:
-o or -(e)s for European players
-y/-i or -er for North Americans

This was subject to adjustment as needed, based on the peculiarities of a player's family name. I think this is what a captain is for.
Mystery solved!

Derby is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  #416
Xoggz22
HFB Partner
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
A buddy and I once concocted a theory by which believed a player's hockey nickname was determined.

Take the first syllable of player's last name and add:
-o or -(e)s for European players
-y/-i or -er for North Americans

This was subject to adjustment as needed, based on the peculiarities of a player's family name. I think this is what a captain is for.
This applies to soccer as well. Most names simply added "ie" at the end (or "y" I guess you could say) but "o", "er" or even the occassional "alufogus" came into play (for you Sesame St. buffs). As captain of the team in college I can confirm that was my primary responsibility....

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
  #417
Heinze 57
Registered User
 
Heinze 57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Country: United States
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Hockey nicknames are notoriously lazy, but that's why I love them.

Patrick Kane = Kaner
Taylor Hall = Hallsy
Brandon Dubinsky = Dubi

I much prefer this to the nicknaming conventions of other sports. Chris Paul = CP3, Vincent Jackson = VJax. Stupid.

Heinze 57 is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:44 AM
  #418
Derby
Pilsners in Prague
 
Derby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinze 57 View Post
Hockey nicknames are notoriously lazy, but that's why I love them.

Patrick Kane = Kaner
Taylor Hall = Hallsy
Brandon Dubinsky = Dubi

I much prefer this to the nicknaming conventions of other sports. Chris Paul = CP3, Vincent Jackson = VJax. Stupid.
Or Hollywood, for that matter. Brangelina, ScarJo, etc. Hence the RyJo nickname's grating affect on my nerves.

Derby is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:47 AM
  #419
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So does that make you Lasso?
I sure hope so.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:48 AM
  #420
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinze 57 View Post
Hockey nicknames are notoriously lazy, but that's why I love them.

Patrick Kane = Kaner
Taylor Hall = Hallsy
Brandon Dubinsky = Dubi

I much prefer this to the nicknaming conventions of other sports. Chris Paul = CP3, Vincent Jackson = VJax. Stupid.
I thnk the difference is much less than perceived, what you're talking about are media or headline names. In the locker room, I'm sure nobody called Ted Williams "Splendid Splinter," or Tony Gallento "Two Ton" or George Ruth "Sultan of Swat." On the court, is Paul called "CP3" or Chris or just CP? Is Toews "Captain Serious" on the ice or Johnny? VJax might work on the field; but, if a teammate is calling for a lateral or shouting a warning, I'll bet it'd be closer to Vince or Jack. I suspect that players in most sports generally use nicknames pretty close to what we see in hockey and baseball, which are pretty similar.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
  #421
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I thnk the difference is much less than perceived, what you're talking about are media or headline names. In the locker room, I'm sure nobody called Ted Williams "Splendid Splinter," or Tony Gallento "Two Ton" or George Ruth "Sultan of Swat." On the court, is Paul called "CP3" or Chris or just CP? Is Toews "Captain Serious" on the ice or Johnny? VJax might work on the field; but, if a teammate is calling for a lateral or shouting a warning, I'll bet it'd be closer to Vince or Jack. I suspect that players in most sports generally use nicknames pretty close to what we see in hockey and baseball, which are pretty similar.
Good post, Goger.

(I wanted to go Goges but that's for Euros.)

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
  #422
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Good post, Goger.

(I wanted to go Goges but that's for Euros.)
And Gogi would call to mind "The Wayward Wind."

pete goegan is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
  #423
cbjfaninmo
More Push-ups
 
cbjfaninmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Ozark, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
When hockey players stop referring to each other by nicknames.
I agree...DSLy

cbjfaninmo is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
  #424
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
And Gogi would call to mind "The Wayward Wind."
I'll Grant you that.


(Look it up, kids.)

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
  #425
Xoggz22
HFB Partner
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Good post, Goger.

(I wanted to go Goges but that's for Euros.)
Not Petey or PetGo?

Xoggz22 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.