HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 2: Columbus at New York Islanders | 10/5 7PM EDT

Old
10-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Is there a more underrated player in the NHL than Letestu?
Arguably Mackenzie and Prout. But yeah I get where you're coming from. I was wrong when I said he looked lukewarm in the preseason.

I also hope I'm wrong about Murray and he picks it up quickly. Just looks right now like he would benefit from a few Massachusetts bus rides.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetman View Post
Best I can do... don't know how to get them in one image.

Nice. Those were meant for each other.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JrussJacket

I'm have to admit, Savard was outstanding tonight! Especially in the 3rd period. One thing to keep in mind, while we have mostly the same team from last year, we didn't play 1 preseason game with our full lineup. I liked the effort I seen tonight. The guys stuck with it and played hard until the end!

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Arguably Mackenzie and Prout. But yeah I get where you're coming from. I was wrong when I said he looked lukewarm in the preseason.

I also hope I'm wrong about Murray and he picks it up quickly. Just looks right now like he would benefit from a few Massachusetts bus rides.
Meh, Prout is a depth D-man at this point. Plays a solid physical game, but still makes too many mistakes. The game is a bit too fast for him, but hopefully he`ll catchup.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:57 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
On Thursday I want to see:

JJ-Tyuts
Murray-Erixon
Savard-Nikitin

Benched: Wiz
IR/AHL: Prout
Two youngsters, both of them are playing on the left side all the time . Richards tried Erixon on the right side last year and he didn't look very good. Is Murray able to play RD? So far he doesn't look comfortable even at his natural LD position.
And Savard-Nikitin played much more ES time than Murray-Wiz, I think they're our 2nd pair at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I'm going to mention this game every time we're behind and the posters show their quit.
I can mention at least 10 games like that from the past, quitting is an old tradition on these boards for some people.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Meh, Prout is a depth D-man at this point. Plays a solid physical game, but still makes too many mistakes. The game is a bit too fast for him, but hopefully he`ll catchup.
Agreed, but I'm hoping he ups his physicality. If he can be a monster, then he'll be an excellent part of the team. Let Johnson, Wisniewski, Tyutin, Savard, Erixon, Nikitin, and Murray (hey that's the entire rest of our defensemen!) worry about offense. Prout needs to be 100% defense and a presence other players fear kind of like what Shea Weber is.

He is trying to do too much and needs to simplify his game.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
7. I don't think the left over ice in front of the Islanders' net during the shootout was "gamesmanship" as resident dunce Jeff Rimer kept claiming. Nassau is a dilapidated arena and I just think the equipment stinks. Nothing against the team really.
In order for that to be true, at least one part of the conditioner on the Zamboni would have to suddenly stop working, then start again. Now, it's possible for old equipment to have an issue, but what would have to happen in that case would be for the blade to be set too deep, causing substantially more snow to build up in the augers than can be handled. Even if that happened, it would cause snow to spill out the sides instead of right down the middle.

To create a mogul right there in the middle of the ice would require one of the following to happen:
1) Lifting the blade (which is manual)
2) Turning off the augers (which is manual)
3) Raising the conditioner (which is manual)

So it's not too likely that there was some type of short-term mechanical failure. To leave that snow like that would likely have had to have been intentional.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 10-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:04 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Is there a more underrated player in the NHL than Letestu?
Nikitin. He was the brightest spot on this defense and people are ready to trade him away... They put Prout with Nikitin last year and the Jackets get a great shut down pair. They put Savard with #6 this year and no one can score on Jackets when those two are on the ice so far this season.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I have almost no Zamboni knowledge, so I will concede any point regarding the matter.

But,
1. The accusation that someone related to the Islanders intentionally tried to fudge or sabotage a shootout in favor of the Islanders is a very serious accusation.

2. Davidge said that there is a mechanism which stores the snow picked up by the Zamboni and it's possible that the container can dump if not working correctly. Yes it happened in front of the Islanders goal, but the Islanders goal was closest to the Zamboni entrance/exit and thus where the Zamboni would likely finish.

Again, I concede the topic and have no knowledge, but that's a hefty accusation.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:10 PM
leesmith
Still in.

I could possibly buy that it was a new Zamboni driver who was incompetent (perhaps working his first regular season game?).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I have almost no Zamboni knowledge, so I will concede any point regarding the matter.

But,
1. The accusation that someone related to the Islanders intentionally tried to fudge or sabotage a shootout in favor of the Islanders is a very serious accusation.

2. Davidge said that there is a mechanism which stores the snow picked up by the Zamboni and it's possible that the container can dump if not working correctly. Yes it happened in front of the Islanders goal, but the Islanders goal was closest to the Zamboni entrance/exit and thus where the Zamboni would likely finish.

Again, I concede the topic and have no knowledge, but that's a hefty accusation.
1) It's possible that there was an extremely convenient/inconvenient mechanical issue.

2) Here's a basic primer:

Now, there's a mechanism between the vertical auger and the bin that's called a snow break. Under certain conditions, the collected snow and ice can form blocks, which jams the machine and either causes it to stall or causes snow to start backing up. Depending on machine, it's either automatic or manual, but the end result is that snow would start backing up and dumping all over.

But since a pre-shootout cut is normally dry or extremely light on the water, this shouldn't be an issue. Getting blocks of ice would result from a set of particular conditions, which would include an aggressive blade setting plus a ton of water plus a faulty snowbreak. Is it possible that this happened? Of course. Is it probable? Eh...

It's also possible that there was simply a big missed spot. It happens even with two Zambonis running between periods, so it's not unheard of for one to do it as well. The machines don't handle too well, so missing is more common than would be thought. If we follow the notion that the simplest explanation is the most probable, then we must deduce that the Rand Corporation is working in conjunction with the reverse vampires...

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 10-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:17 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I could possibly buy that it was a new Zamboni driver who was incompetent (perhaps working his first regular season game?).
Yeah. He needs to ride Zamboni in Bridgeport (AHL) till he's ready for the NHL.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Socks
Stuff and Things Man

So although I took credit for the win, we started scoring once I popped quickly into chat, and without reading through the thread can someone give me the CliffsNotes version of the game? One of these days I'll finally get to watch one.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
So although I took credit for the win, we started scoring once I popped quickly into chat, and without reading through the thread can someone give me the CliffsNotes version of the game? One of these days I'll finally get to watch one.
We played like crap (except for Bob). Then the Islanders played like crap (except for Nabokov). Then there was a shootout.

Hm... maybe I simplified that one too much. Oh well.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Socks
Stuff and Things Man

Quote:
We played like crap (except for Bob). Then the Islanders played like crap (except for Nabokov). Then there was a shootout.

Hm... maybe I simplified that one too much. Oh well.
Fair enough. I give you my delayed reactions:

BOOOO!!! WE SUCK I'M GONNA SLIT MY WRISTS!!

WHOO BOBBY! VEZINA NUMBER TWO HERE WE COME!!

HAHA THE FISHSTICKS SUCK AND WE DON'T I LOVE YOU ALL!!

****ING SHOOTOUT I HATE IT.

YAY WE WIN PLAN THE PARADE!!!

F'ing linesman. Cause always it's f'ing linesman.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:36 AM
JrussJacket

One more thing, Bob is the man...just rewatching the game on fsn, that kick save with 10 seconds left in the game! Only a few goalies in the world make that save! We would not have come close to winning this game with Mason.

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:48 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrussJacket View Post
One more thing, Bob is the man...just rewatching the game on fsn, that kick save with 10 seconds left in the game! Only a few goalies in the world make that save! We would not have come close to winning this game with Mason.
The save he made a bit earlier wasn't to bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtype View Post
Finally last year's team shows up!
It's too bad that we don't play again until Thurs, but they can work on some things until then.
In a way it's not too bad. Not sure how serious the injury to Tyutin is but hopefully by Thursday, he's ready to go.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 10-06-2013 at 01:54 AM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:13 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
Two youngsters, both of them are playing on the left side all the time . Richards tried Erixon on the right side last year and he didn't look very good. Is Murray able to play RD? So far he doesn't look comfortable even at his natural LD position.
And Savard-Nikitin played much more ES time than Murray-Wiz, I think they're our 2nd pair at the moment.
Thanks for the tip on their preferred sides. I still don't care about two youngsters playing together. Ever since the heart attack of Wiz and JJ together I stopped caring about trifling things like "youngster".

major major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In order for that to be true, at least one part of the conditioner on the Zamboni would have to suddenly stop working, then start again. Now, it's possible for old equipment to have an issue, but what would have to happen in that case would be for the blade to be set too deep, causing substantially more snow to build up in the augers than can be handled. Even if that happened, it would cause snow to spill out the sides instead of right down the middle.

To create a mogul right there in the middle of the ice would require one of the following to happen:
1) Lifting the blade (which is manual)
2) Turning off the augers (which is manual)
3) Raising the conditioner (which is manual)

So it's not too likely that there was some type of short-term mechanical failure. To leave that snow like that would likely have had to have been intentional.
Something about coulombs.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Just watched the highlights on NHL.com, and damn, you would think it was the Evgeni Nabokov show last night. Damn near all the saves in the highlights are his, with Bob only getting a little love.

Anyway, who cares, nice come-back by the Jackets. Now let's win a few in regulation.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:24 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Just watched the highlights on NHL.com, and damn, you would think it was the Evgeni Nabokov show last night. Damn near all the saves in the highlights are his, with Bob only getting a little love.
Ah, but doesn't that paint a much kinder picture of our offense than one would get if they had actually watched the game?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:51 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Do you tell me where I can see repeat, i cannot vake download on my comp.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
Fair enough. I give you my delayed reactions:

BOOOO!!! WE SUCK I'M GONNA SLIT MY WRISTS!!

WHOO BOBBY! VEZINA NUMBER TWO HERE WE COME!!

HAHA THE FISHSTICKS SUCK AND WE DON'T I LOVE YOU ALL!!

****ING SHOOTOUT I HATE IT.

YAY WE WIN PLAN THE PARADE!!!

F'ing linesman. Cause always it's f'ing linesman.

Sounds just like the Isles board. LOL! One minute we're winning the cup, next thing we're tanking for the 1st pick. Hockey is a bi-polar sport.

Good game last night!

10-06-2013, 02:30 PM
DEF

key lime pie

DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
1) It's possible that there was an extremely convenient/inconvenient mechanical issue.

2) Here's a basic primer:

Now, there's a mechanism between the vertical auger and the bin that's called a snow break. Under certain conditions, the collected snow and ice can form blocks, which jams the machine and either causes it to stall or causes snow to start backing up. Depending on machine, it's either automatic or manual, but the end result is that snow would start backing up and dumping all over.

But since a pre-shootout cut is normally dry or extremely light on the water, this shouldn't be an issue. Getting blocks of ice would result from a set of particular conditions, which would include an aggressive blade setting plus a ton of water plus a faulty snowbreak. Is it possible that this happened? Of course. Is it probable? Eh...

It's also possible that there was simply a big missed spot. It happens even with two Zambonis running between periods, so it's not unheard of for one to do it as well. The machines don't handle too well, so missing is more common than would be thought. If we follow the notion that the simplest explanation is the most probable, then we must deduce that the Rand Corporation is working in conjunction with the reverse vampires...
Are you really an expert on everything like you come off, or do you have just way to much wiki time?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote