HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bad news for Caps, good news for Rangers: Jagr counts against Cap 50/50 for each

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Bad news for Caps, good news for Rangers: Jagr counts against Cap 50/50 for each

Posted this on the business board, but thought that you all might like to see it here:

With the deal about done, we have some actual cap news. Washington and New York will evenly split Jaromir Jagr's salary in 05/06. That's good news for the Rangers and not so great for the Capitals who could use the money to help sign someone to give Ovechkin a hand.

http://www.640toronto.com/news/toro...onto_sports.cfm

Old
07-11-2005, 11:19 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Just like Brooks confirmed 2 months ago but nobody believed it was really "confirmed".

Old
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Since Washington made the inital mistake, it's only fair that they get hit with half the cap.

Old
07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Barnaby

I can't get the link up. Is it truly confirmed now or is it just 'sources say'?

Old
07-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Fish

If you click on the first story under "Home of the Leafs" and then look at the bottom of the story you'll see a link (among many) for Monday Hockey Report...click on that and the entire text that was quoted is there...nothing really else.

Old
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
True Blue

Wouldn't the players that were traded by Sather also count against the Rangers cap? Surely not every one was in a contract year.

Old
07-11-2005, 12:24 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Wouldn't the players that were traded by Sather also count against the Rangers cap? Surely not every one was in a contract year.

Washington eating half of Jagr's contract was part of the deal when the rangers took him. Otherwise Washington could never have traded him and been stuck with the whole contract.

Old
07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Lack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Posted this on the business board, but thought that you all might like to see it here:

With the deal about done, we have some actual cap news. Washington and New York will evenly split Jaromir Jagr's salary in 05/06. That's good news for the Rangers and not so great for the Capitals who could use the money to help sign someone to give Ovechkin a hand.

http://www.640toronto.com/news/toro...onto_sports.cfm
Just a thought....can the CAPS buyout that money on Jagr's contract? Can they just buy that out for whatever percentaqge the league allows for these buyouts to clear that cap room?

Old
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Levitate

and i'm wondering if it might have something to do with how the deal (trade) is worded. i tend to doubt this will be standard practice (though i also doubt there will be a real reason for teams to do much of this stuff under a cap) so it seems there would be some wording in the deal that makes it work out this way.

Old
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
and i'm wondering if it might have something to do with how the deal (trade) is worded. i tend to doubt this will be standard practice (though i also doubt there will be a real reason for teams to do much of this stuff under a cap) so it seems there would be some wording in the deal that makes it work out this way.
The newspaper articles at the time of the trade stated that both the Caps and R angers would equally pay his future salary. Thus, both are equally liable for the cap salary hit.

Old
07-11-2005, 07:14 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I can't get the link up. Is it truly confirmed now or is it just 'sources say'?
nothing is truly confirmed until the cba is signed and officiail

Old
07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
i don't think anybody the rangers traded at the deadline are still under contract, with the exception of barnaby nedved and simon who signed pre-lockout.

either way i don't think the rangers picked up any portions of contracts when they traded any of the players at the deadline.

Its easy to bash sather but this isn't a reason to bash him.

Btw this is great news about Jagr. Sather and the Rangers backed into a great deal.

Old
07-12-2005, 09:26 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil
Since Washington made the inital mistake, it's only fair that they get hit with half the cap.
I'm not sure there is any precedent in any sport than has a cap for any of the salary of a traded player's contract counting against the cap of the team that trades him.

I don't think it's "fair" but I'm certainly happy about it.

Old
07-12-2005, 09:53 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I'm not sure there is any precedent in any sport than has a cap for any of the salary of a traded player's contract counting against the cap of the team that trades him.
There isn't one.

Old
07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
pld459666

the only reason

Quote:
it's going to count against both the Caps and Rangers respective salary caps is because the Caps agreed to pay a large portion of the contract.

OTOH, any player dealt by the Rangers was dealt free and clear of any attachments. The Rangers dealt the player and the contracts in full otherwise we would be in the same boat.

Old
07-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Fletch

To me...

it makes perfect sense, which is why I'd be shocked if that's the way it eventually ends up. The salary cap should be based on what a team spends, and not what's on their roster. The Rangers can trade-away Holik tomorrow, eat 3/4 of his salary and get something decent in return, and thus take advantage of their large capital base. That's why we're in this problem, to stop guys like the Rangers from spending too much.

Old
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
boredmale

do you honestly think paying half of jagr's salary will hurt them cap wise?

Closed Thread