HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ITT We praise Bishop and are cautiously optimistic about Lindback

Old
10-19-2013, 07:56 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50

Awesome sequences. Also, is it just me or are they really playing the Big Ben chimes sound everytime he makes a great save?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 08:13 AM
2MinutesforGiraffing
angelsil on safari

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

Awesome sequences. Also, is it just me or are they really playing the Big Ben chimes sound everytime he makes a great save?
Nope. That's what it sounds like. AWESOME.

2MinutesforGiraffing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 09:58 AM
chasespace

I've never noticed that's that they play after a save. Mind=blown.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:15 PM
BlueBob

I gotta say I'm glad the Blues ended their 'local boy makes the team' love affair early with Bishop. Sometimes I think he'd do better in a game if he just butterflied deep in the crease, each toe on a post, for the whole game. The most favorable compliment for him is that he's tall. The Lightning are entertaining to watch otherwise. I hope Lindbäck works out for your team.

BlueBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBob View Post
I gotta say I'm glad the Blues ended their 'local boy makes the team' love affair early with Bishop. Sometimes I think he'd do better in a game if he just butterflied deep in the crease, each toe on a post, for the whole game. The most favorable compliment for him is that he's tall. The Lightning are entertaining to watch otherwise. I hope Lindbäck works out for your team.
Bishop has been better than Lindback. Don't judge Bish just on last night.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
That's crap. Bish has been great.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 05:57 PM
newham89

Where this "Bishop played crap" viewpoint coming from. I'm counting 2 directly in front of goal deflections, a flukey redirect to a players skate directly in front of goal, a breakaway to one of the better goal scorers in the game and a head scratching deflected back pass that nobody could have predicted. He still made one or two saves he had no right making and played reasonably well. Just because a goalie concedes a few goals doesn't mean he played badly.

Last edited by newham89: 10-25-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Grammar nazi
newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:04 PM
CupsOverCash

I've had no complaints about Bishop. The bad night against the Bruins the whole team had a bad night. If anything he has bailed this team out more than the team has bailed him out.

CupsOverCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:17 PM
BlueBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
Bishop has been better than Lindback. Don't judge Bish just on last night.
I've "judged him" since he played his first game (in-game substitution) for the Blues. Locally he was a highly touted rookie but that was primarily said with rose colored glasses due to his St. Louis area high school career.

Letting in that own goal in the last game is a microcosm of the lack of concentration he has shown over his (admittedly short) NHL career. Bishop is still not fundamentally sound after all these years of training and conditioning in the AHL/NHL.

It seems like people are coming to his defense because of a strong start in TB for this season. I wish him well but suspect you will see what I am talking about eventually.

Hey, I caught a TB game a couple weeks ago where BB had an assist and I cheered out loud! That was a great heads up clear up the left boards that stayed flat all the way to the other blue line. Killorn made a good play on it too to gain possession. You want to root for him...

Old
10-26-2013, 04:59 AM
DFC

Quote:
I've "judged him" since he played his first game (in-game substitution) for the Blues. Locally he was a highly touted rookie but that was primarily said with rose colored glasses due to his St. Louis area high school career.

Letting in that own goal in the last game is a microcosm of the lack of concentration he has shown over his (admittedly short) NHL career. Bishop is still not fundamentally sound after all these years of training and conditioning in the AHL/NHL.

It seems like people are coming to his defense because of a strong start in TB for this season. I wish him well but suspect you will see what I am talking about eventually.

Hey, I caught a TB game a couple weeks ago where BB had an assist and I cheered out loud! That was a great heads up clear up the left boards that stayed flat all the way to the other blue line. Killorn made a good play on it too to gain possession. You want to root for him...
I don't see any way the own goal was due to a lack of concentration on Bishop's part. I thought Matt Carle had a stellar game, but that goal was on him and him alone. Radko Gudas didn't think the pass was coming and wound up deflecting it twice. The only way Bishop keeps that out is to get down and cover the low part of the net, because there's no way of knowing where the puck is coming out, which you never see goalies do in that situation.

Bishop was "okay" in that game. Two of the goals against were deflections right in his face. Any goalie that stops those is stopping them with a whole lot of luck.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:05 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
I've noticed nothing BUT focus coming from Bishop. He's very calm in net and helps control the game. Anyway, one team's trash is another team's treasure.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Ricebox

Lets all agree, its way too early to talk about Bishops consistency, maybe around December will be a better time to look at his stats, and call him our true #1 starter for the future,

I am so far pretty impressed with him though, minus the last 2 games really

Ricebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:14 AM
DangleDoppler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricebox View Post
Lets all agree, its way too early to talk about Bishops consistency, maybe around December will be a better time to look at his stats, and call him our true #1 starter for the future,
The same should hold true for Lindback, no?

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Bishop is just fine.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Ricebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDoppler View Post
The same should hold true for Lindback, no?
absolutely, however we had all of the short last season to evaluate lindback, and it seems not much has changed, but i think its better to look at just about anyone on the team in a few weeks, instead of now.

Ricebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
BlueBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
I don't see any way the own goal was due to a lack of concentration on Bishop's part. I thought Matt Carle had a stellar game, but that goal was on him and him alone. Radko Gudas didn't think the pass was coming and wound up deflecting it twice. The only way Bishop keeps that out is to get down and cover the low part of the net, because there's no way of knowing where the puck is coming out, which you never see goalies do in that situation.

Bishop was "okay" in that game. Two of the goals against were deflections right in his face. Any goalie that stops those is stopping them with a whole lot of luck.
He has to he ready for anything being passed or shot towards the net. Bishop had more than a full 60 ft. zone to track that pass from Carle to Gudas. He had more than 10 ft. to react to the deflection as well. Instead of being ready, Bishop was basically standing relaxed, almost 'two arms on the crossbar' style. I could allow the gaff if Bishop had been poised like he is supposed to be at this level of hockey, but for him to casually be standing fully upright and not concerning himself with that .01% possibility of an own-deflection is absolutely not tolerable. Goalies play 60 minutes, see about 5 minutes of fierce action, and have to be 100% focused the other 55 minutes. Being ready for that .01% possibility is part of the game.

If you don't remember Bishop's appearance at the 2013 IIHF championships, check out the USA - Slovakia game. It's the same crap on a bigger stage, just like the crap before when he was in St. Louis.

Old
10-27-2013, 03:46 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
A childish response to a discussion, what a surprise.
Let's see...one goalie has a 7-1 record, with a .914 sv %. The other is 0-2, with an .839 sv %. So, logically, let's crap on the one who is 7-1.

Other things of a ".01% possibility" are the scoreboard falling onto the ice, and a beer bottle taking out one of our players.

Discussion of a freak goal? So Jon Quick in LA is garbage because he dropped his stick, and wasn't ready to play the puck? Freak goals are freak goals, they happen, and you move on. We won the game, no harm, no foul.

C'mon man...over-analyzing a freak goal, and placing no responsibility on Carle making the wrong pass, or Gudas misplaying it, is ridiculous. Lindback lets that one in too, no doubt.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 04:03 PM
BlueBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Let's see...one goalie has a 7-1 record, with a .914 sv %. The other is 0-2, with an .839 sv %. So, logically, let's crap on the one who is 7-1.

Other things of a ".01% possibility" are the scoreboard falling onto the ice, and a beer bottle taking out one of our players.

Discussion of a freak goal? So Jon Quick in LA is garbage because he dropped his stick, and wasn't ready to play the puck? Freak goals are freak goals, they happen, and you move on. We won the game, no harm, no foul.

C'mon man...over-analyzing a freak goal, and placing no responsibility on Carle making the wrong pass, or Gudas misplaying it, is ridiculous. Lindback lets that one in too, no doubt.
I haven't seen Lindbäck play (or at least paid attention). Maybe he plays carelessly as well. If you look at my other posts you'll see I brought this up because I follow the ex-Blue and because this is his career path... a lack of concentration and fundamental decision making. Naturally he wouldn't still be in the league if he did this all the time, but I promise you he has played worse and stayed in the NHL longer than most goalies with Bishop's draft position and relatively young age.

He could be 6-0-0 with 6 shutouts and it wouldn't change the past. I'm not arguing that TB should play him, trade him, whatever. It was just an observation of his career tendencies that several people engaged in appropriately with discussion while one member acted like a typical anonymous internet gatekeeper. Lighten up, ladies and gentlemen, its just a sports forum. We should respect reasonable conversations, not idiocy.

Old
10-27-2013, 04:47 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
I haven't seen Lindbäck play (or at least paid attention). Maybe he plays carelessly as well. If you look at my other posts you'll see I brought this up because I follow the ex-Blue and because this is his career path... a lack of concentration and fundamental decision making. Naturally he wouldn't still be in the league if he did this all the time, but I promise you he has played worse and stayed in the NHL longer than most goalies with Bishop's draft position and relatively young age.

He could be 6-0-0 with 6 shutouts and it wouldn't change the past. I'm not arguing that TB should play him, trade him, whatever. It was just an observation of his career tendencies that several people engaged in appropriately with discussion while one member acted like a typical anonymous internet gatekeeper. Lighten up, ladies and gentlemen, its just a sports forum. We should respect reasonable conversations, not idiocy.
Lindback isn't careless as much as he is reckless. What I mean by that is Bishop uses his size, and lets the puck come to him. Lindback frequently fights the puck, and does not understand the phrase "less is more." Lindy will get moving WAY too much, and actually has split seconds where his back is to the rest of the ice. Bishop is the more composed of the two and, his past notwithstanding, can bail out the team if needed.

While Bishop may not compare to Halak/Elliot or Anderson/Lehner, it's been awhile since Lightning fans have had a goalie we could have consistent confidence in. He has been able to steal games for us: something we haven't had since (arguably) Roloson. He brings a lot of things the Lightning haven't had in a goalie in quite some time, which may be a reason the Lightning fans are quick to defend him.

The only thing I took issue with was that the freak goal was only on Bishop, and that it defines him in some way. If you are looking for a less than stellar play from Bishop, there have been more relevant plays/allowed goals this season than the Carle/Gudas OG.

No arguments with your last paragraph.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

lol overanalysis

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 08:51 PM
BlueBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Lindback isn't careless as much as he is reckless. What I mean by that is Bishop uses his size, and lets the puck come to him. Lindback frequently fights the puck, and does not understand the phrase "less is more." Lindy will get moving WAY too much, and actually has split seconds where his back is to the rest of the ice. Bishop is the more composed of the two and, his past notwithstanding, can bail out the team if needed.

While Bishop may not compare to Halak/Elliot or Anderson/Lehner, it's been awhile since Lightning fans have had a goalie we could have consistent confidence in. He has been able to steal games for us: something we haven't had since (arguably) Roloson. He brings a lot of things the Lightning haven't had in a goalie in quite some time, which may be a reason the Lightning fans are quick to defend him.

The only thing I took issue with was that the freak goal was only on Bishop, and that it defines him in some way. If you are looking for a less than stellar play from Bishop, there have been more relevant plays/allowed goals this season than the Carle/Gudas OG.

No arguments with your last paragraph.
I'll definitely try to catch Lindbäck soon. Sounds interesting, not in a good way :-) RE: Roloson (almost a Blue) I have fond memories of watching him play for several teams, particularly the early 2000's playoff run with the Wild. He was old back then!

Back to Bishop... there's no question that the pass back and skate blunder is accountable by the two involved skaters. It was too obvious to spend time mentioning. People tend not to want to blame goalies for things like this, but it is legitimate criticism for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Who else is there to stop the occasional bad bounce or screwup? It's really very easy to butterfly down or at least come out to a smart position whenever a puck is coming "safely" towards net with no opposing presence. At minimum the goalie has to be awake. That deflection is stopped at least 95 times out of 100 by a goalie that is focused. I'm not continually grinding this point into the ground for fun or to mock another team's fans. It's just truth and very often not understood.

This year your team seems to hinge on Bishop being very solid, and the way I look at it (an outsider with mild interest towards TB and Bishop) your offense is your real strong point. The game tonight (only catching live look-ins unfortunately) shows that while Bishop is keeping it from being a floodgate of suckage, the team is just puttering around lackadaisically like they're in a funk or trance. Obviously if the skaters get a fire lit under them it will be back to the normal potent offensive chances and ergo TB's chance for a win goes up big time. Turnovers look to be a factor tonight also.

Old
10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
I'll definitely try to catch Lindbäck soon. Sounds interesting, not in a good way :-) RE: Roloson (almost a Blue) I have fond memories of watching him play for several teams, particularly the early 2000's playoff run with the Wild. He was old back then!

Back to Bishop... there's no question that the pass back and skate blunder is accountable by the two involved skaters. It was too obvious to spend time mentioning. People tend not to want to blame goalies for things like this, but it is legitimate criticism for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Who else is there to stop the occasional bad bounce or screwup? It's really very easy to butterfly down or at least come out to a smart position whenever a puck is coming "safely" towards net with no opposing presence. At minimum the goalie has to be awake. That deflection is stopped at least 95 times out of 100 by a goalie that is focused. I'm not continually grinding this point into the ground for fun or to mock another team's fans. It's just truth and very often not understood.

This year your team seems to hinge on Bishop being very solid, and the way I look at it (an outsider with mild interest towards TB and Bishop) your offense is your real strong point. The game tonight (only catching live look-ins unfortunately) shows that while Bishop is keeping it from being a floodgate of suckage, the team is just puttering around lackadaisically like they're in a funk or trance. Obviously if the skaters get a fire lit under them it will be back to the normal potent offensive chances and ergo TB's chance for a win goes up big time. Turnovers look to be a factor tonight also.
They did look to have taken their stupid pills pre-game tonight. Without Bishop being somewhat competent, this was a slaughter.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 10:21 AM
TheDaysOf 04

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Quote:
Per the Elias Sports Bureau: Ben Bishop (8-2-0) first Lightning goalie to win eight of first 10 decisions in a season.

Old
11-02-2013, 11:04 AM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

How come we're not on Jean's case for Bishop's performance?

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 11:15 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
How come we're not on Jean's case for Bishop's performance?
Because Bishop came from St. Louis and Ottawa and learned his ways from them.

FDfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote