HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic or Unrealistic? Possible? Impossible? My Habs plan:

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 02:01 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Niedermayer won't go elsewhere then NJ.
Jersey can't afford him. They have to get under the cap.

I would rather have a defenseman who can skate instead of Rivet.

Old
07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Guy!

Before making these predictions about spending up to the cap limit, one might consider that pension payouts, bonuses and insurance are all considered part of the cap. If I was to make a judgement call about where most teams will have their payrolls, it would be at about the $32 million level. Sorry to say, but I don't think Montreal will be snagging many big-name free agents anytime soon.

The new NHL is all about GM savvy and rapid development of youth talent. Free agents, while out there, will be limited signings, particularly with teams who have no intention of paying penalties for being over the cap level. I think you can assume that Montreal will not be teasing that cap limit very much at all until Quebec stops fleecing the club with taxes. If Gainey is good at what he does (and this is where he should make us proud, I would think) then we'll be as competitive as any while keeping our salary structure in line.

ACF

Old
07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Before making these predictions about spending up to the cap limit, one might consider that pension payouts, bonuses and insurance are all considered part of the cap.
Actually Guy it appears that the cap figures excludes those costs.

TSN Link

Old
07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Guy!

Shocking. Last I heard that was a done deal. Oh well, scratch what I said, looks like we can afford to make a bit of a splash. Of course, filling the cap would still be silly - no room to resign improving talent. Let's look at the $35 million mark as a balance point which gives enough room to maneover when needed.

ACF

Old
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
wedge

this is possible, but I think we should forget about Niedermayer... the chances are too slim that he comes with us.

But Aucoin and Kovalev? sure, why not?

Old
07-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednified
If you want to buyout Rivet, I hope we sign Saku first. It could be hard negotioning with the capitaine if his best buddy was just cut.

I'm not big on buying out Rivet though, sure rework his deal, but I think he's a nice guy to have for a round 1.3-1.5. I just have this feeling that after cut loose he'd sign somewhere else in the division and do very well.

****EVERYBODY READ*********

Under the new rules of the CBA! ..we are NOT allowed to rework a contract of a player that is already signed even if he wanted to!

Old
07-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Artie

Some Thoughts

I think we can forget about Scott N. in a habs jersey. IMO Theo will still be the highest paid player on the team and it may take more than what we will be paying Theo to land Neidermyer(sp).

Secondly as someone already mentioned, let's stop lowballing Saku just so we can throw money at FA.

The league was just out for 301 days and the minute there seems to be an agreement everybody is looking at throwing ridiculous money at players all over again. 6M for Neidermyer doesn't make sense to me (in todays climate).

I don't think the GM's are going to be in a hurry to max out on their cap. You have to leave yourself room to manouver during the season (injuries, trades etc)

Old
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
I think we can forget about Scott N. in a habs jersey. IMO Theo will still be the highest paid player on the team and it may take more than what we will be paying Theo to land Neidermyer(sp).

Secondly as someone already mentioned, let's stop lowballing Saku just so we can throw money at FA.

The league was just out for 301 days and the minute there seems to be an agreement everybody is looking at throwing ridiculous money at players all over again. 6M for Neidermyer doesn't make sense to me (in todays climate).

I don't think the GM's are going to be in a hurry to max out on their cap. You have to leave yourself room to manouver during the season (injuries, trades etc)

i agreee with you 100%

Old
07-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Habs13

Komi8 ; love the original post with one exeption -- Why sign Dagenais to a $800,000 contract and use him as an extra? Scratch that, no wait, scratch him! Don't offer the guy a new contract and save $800K.

Buy out Sundstrom too!

Old
07-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Traitor8

Why would u buy out sundstrom for when he only cost around 0.9 M ...buying him out would cost about what 500 k? you gonna get a better player for 388 k?

Old
07-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Why would u buy out sundstrom for when he only cost around 0.9 M ...buying him out would cost about what 500 k? you gonna get a better player for 388 k?

Higgins & Plekanec

Old
07-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Traitor8

Well you can bring them in, Sundstrom is worth about 900k

Old
07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

The minimum salary in NHL now is 450,000$ so buying out somebody to get less than that back is kinda...weird.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
Players replacing injured player will be exempt from the cap.

Exemple, if Koivu @ $3M is injured and we bring in Plekanec @ $1M to replace him, Koivu's $3M still count against the cap while Plekanec's salary does not.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

In other words, you can possibly hide players on the injured list to bring in more players. Like they do in football. Great, a loophole.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:14 PM

I agree with the guys that say that we should keep our payroll at around ~$34M. Bob Gainey is a smart man, he's the kind of guy that just loves playing on an even field, because he's just smarter than the other GMs. He'll find you a 35 goals scorer @ $500K every year, I'll bet my ass on that (Ok, maybe not) but you get the point.

Gainey will find the cheap gems that will make the Habs a profitable team for the owner, a good destination for free agents, and a cheap contending team that can compete every year. That's Gainey.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef Balej
Players replacing injured player will be exempt from the cap.

Exemple, if Koivu @ $3M is injured and we bring in Plekanec @ $1M to replace him, Koivu's $3M still count against the cap while Plekanec's salary does not.
Do you know that for a fact or are you speculating? I'm not saying I know either.
Just trying to get a clarification.

I know that the way Bob McKenzie describe things last night, any money paid by the team to any player goes against the cap. The value of the contract does not go against the cap, only the money actually paid in a given year does.

Example:

The Habs are at $35 M and the go out at the trade deadline and acquire 2 players with $4M contracts each. Only the portion of this year's remaining contract would be applied to the current cap, not the entire $8M which in theory would have put them over the cap. They have also moved the deadline up by I think 2 weeks, so the financial implications will be higher.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Yeah it's a fact. Teams will be able to go out and get players to replace injured ones and their salary won't count vs the cap. Heard it on TSN.

Old
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Traitor8

ya cause doesn't insurance pick up the salary when a player is injured. The nhl doesn't care what you do as long as at the end of the day(season), you haven't spent more then 39 M $ on player salaries.

Closed Thread