HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pouliot

Old
09-27-2013, 10:35 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

vCash: 500
Pouliot

Been searching for some info on this...seems sparse. What's the deal with Pouliot? Still on the squad...any chance he makes the team? Hows he looked?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Jacob

No chance. He's getting an extended look partly because he's earned it and partly because it'll be good for his development. He'll be back in Portland before Monday.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He won't make the team this year. He's looked like a 19 year old kid that flashes great skill, vision etc. but has some hiccups defensively.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
He never had a shot to make the team, but he's looked good by all accounts and deserves to stick around until final cuts.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:02 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Thanks. Next yr perhaps?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop12 View Post
Thanks. Next yr perhaps?
Probably not.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

He's two years away at least. Prolly more with how many D prospects this team has and how they don't play rookies.

If any rookie Dman makes the team this year it's Olli for 9 games.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

So with a year and some change under the belt, how are people who follow the minors more than I do feeling about the pick?

Like the year Morrow was drafted, and some wanted Saad, there was a lot of sentiment here to pick one of the forwards, particularly Filip Forsberg, but Mikhail Grigorenko was mentioned by some. Obviously it is still too soon to come to any sweeping judgments, but still any thoughts?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
So with a year and some change under the belt, how are people who follow the minors more than I do feeling about the pick?

Like the year Morrow was drafted, and some wanted Saad, there was a lot of sentiment here to pick one of the forwards, particularly Filip Forsberg, but Mikhail Grigorenko was mentioned by some. Obviously it is still too soon to come to any sweeping judgments, but still any thoughts?
I've seen all of them and the only guy I wish they took instead of DP is Trouba who looked unreal in the WJCs and he looks very good this pre-season. He's the guy that we may really regret Shero passing on, especially since he has a game tailor made for what Shero values the most.

As far as FF and Grigs, meh.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 09-28-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've seen all of them and the only guy I wish they took instead of DP is Trouba who looked unreal in the WJCs and he looks very good this pre-season. He's the guy that we may really regret Shero passing on, especially since he has a game tailor made for what Shero values the most.

As far as FP and Grigs, meh.
They were one pick away from each other....

And Trouba hasn't looked "very good" this preseason. He's shown flashes just like DePo has, however, he's shown he is just as likely to make rookie mistakes. Trouba has the better physical tools compared to Pouliot, but if people on this board actually remain patient, they will see that Trouba's hockey IQ isn't even close to Pouliots....and that can make a huge difference in development/transition....

I'm just happy that the Pens got Maatta at the draft as I had him in the top-10 and DePo around 15-20. To have both as a SC contender every year is impressive for Shero. FF and Grigs are extremely overrated on this board just because there is this perception the Pens need top-6 wingers

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

I still like Forsberg and Grigorenko and wish we had picked one of them, but DP has shown an impressive ceiling whenever I've watched him, even if there are parts of his game that need a lot of work.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:

Fors could play on our 3rd line this year and would give BB and JJ some good competition for Malkin's LW. DP is 2+ years away and has to jump over some guys to get NHL time, including Olli who's looked better at camp.

Not to mention that Shero traded Morrow because he had DP.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Fors could play on our 3rd line this year and would give BB and JJ some good competition for Malkin's LW. DP is 2+ years away and has to jump over some guys to get NHL time, including Olli who's looked better at camp.

Not to mention that Shero traded Morrow because he had DP.
No...no...he seriously wouldn't.

He'd be fine in a 3rd line role but to suggest he'd actually challenge Jussi and Beau for that spot is just laughable. Like I said, this board overrates FF and Grigs because that's who they wanted Shero to draft. Both Jussi and Beau are ligghhhttttt years ahead of FF. If FF was on this team and someone placed him at 2LW then they would be on Bylsma's level of questionable moves.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:23 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

He's looked pretty good with the man advantage, but it's also clear that he's not ready. Needs time in the minors.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:26 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I always had the impression if Filip Forsberg's name was Phil Smith, nobody would be as high on the guy.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I always had the impression if Filip Forsberg's name was Phil Smith, nobody would be as high on the guy.
Or if he weren't in the draft class he was in....

He is one of the most overrated prospects and I wasn't surprised to see him dealt as soon as he was...

Old
09-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
No...no...he seriously wouldn't.

He'd be fine in a 3rd line role but to suggest he'd actually challenge Jussi and Beau for that spot is just laughable. Like I said, this board overrates FF and Grigs because that's who they wanted Shero to draft. Both Jussi and Beau are ligghhhttttt years ahead of FF. If FF was on this team and someone placed him at 2LW then they would be on Bylsma's level of questionable moves.
I didn't say he'd beat out them, I said he'd give them competition.

As of right now BB has zero young competition because of how horrible the Pens forward prospects are. All of Shero's eggs are in his basket, which is extremely risky.

It would be great to have two forward prospects that project to be top 6 wingers to go with Sid and Geno.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Why? He's not Peter's son or anything.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
I didn't say he'd beat out them, I said he'd give them competition.

As of right now BB has zero young competition because of how horrible the Pens forward prospects are. All of Shero's eggs are in his basket, which is extremely risky.

It would be great to have two forward prospects that project to be top 6 wingers to go with Sid and Geno.
Sure. However, it shouldn't be at the top of Shero's list. Not with the top-2 players in the world. Shero got what EVERY fan wanted in 2010....

The 2011 draft was a crap shoot after the top 5. Saad fell on almost every scouts list...and NO ONE should blame him for picking Morrow over Saad.

2012 was one of the weakest classes in recent memories and was very defensive heavy...this has made the forward prospects more appealing than they actually were to fans....

Shero isn't the best drafting GM in the NHL, but he doesn't deserve the **** he gets. This team is competing each and every year and still has a solid pipeline.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I didn't bring up 2010 or 2011 so I'm not sure why you did.

As for last year, it's not just the fact that he took a Dman when there were only 2 forwards taken, it's that he took a Dman ranked to go 15-20 at the 8th pick. Had he taken Trouba or even Maatta there would be much less *****ing about the pick.

I forget who posted it but they were at a bar after the draft and overheard other team's scouts laughing about the pick. I know I wasn't laughing after the pick.

When you go off the board that high you have to be right and I don't think DP has shown that he was the right choice, especially with Olli outplaying him this pre-season. There are at 8 players, drafted after DP, who have already played in the NHL or will next. 9 if Brooks is really hurt and Olli gats a few (but we all know that won't happen). That number will only increase next season when DP is sent down after camp.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:43 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's two years away at least. Prolly more with how many D prospects this team has and how they don't play rookies.

If any rookie Dman makes the team this year it's Olli for 9 games.
I would agree with the Olli thing, particularly if Despres is sent down (to get playing time and his conditioning up to par), and if Dumoulin is not yet healthy to take that spot. Theoretically, we could keep any one of those guys, but we know that the Pens don't like carrying 8 Dmen.

And while I'm with you in that I'd be totally inclined to keep Olli up for not just 9 consecutive games (because he may not even play more than a handful, but could still on the roster for a couple months; I think that from a practical and necessity point of view, we have to send all of those guys (Despres/Duoulin/Maatta, etc) down to WBS to stay cap compliant -- unless there were injuries, of course.

In fact, if Vokoun was to remain out a while and the Pens just went with Fleury & Zatkoff (as opposed to signing a guy like Theodore), that may actually buy us the cap room temporarily to keep one of those guys on the roster for a little while. That being said, while Maatta would benefit from some time practicing with the pros and (maybe, pretty big maybe) get a few games in; at some point he will hit a wall where he won't get anymore benefit from simply being around the pros, as opposed to actually getting additional benefit from playing 25+ minutes/night in London, captaining that team and maybe even making a run to be an OHL Defenseman of the Year finalist. In this respect, i would not be surprised if he gets sent back immediately.

Based on the combination of age, quality of play thus far AND what is best for their respective development, Dumoulin is probably the one of those 3 I would give some experience to. But I have no problem with Nisky-Bortuozzo as our 3rd pair with Engo as our #7, with Dumo or Despres called up if there was an injury.

Quote:

Like the year Morrow was drafted, and some wanted Saad, there was a lot of sentiment here to pick one of the forwards, particularly Filip Forsberg, but Mikhail Grigorenko was mentionded by some. Obviously it is still too soon to come to any sweeping judgments, but still any thoughts?
Trouba is the obvious one, but honestly: if the draft were re-done, this kid would be a top 2 to 4 pick. There should be anywhere between 4 and 7 teams that should have drafted him instead of us, so that's almost too obvious.

So if you subtract Maatta (who retrospectively would be a guy who would go higher, but we got anyway ), the only 2 forwards who really make me think REALLY hard are Terravainen and Tom Wilson. TT might become a Pat Kane or rich-mans Ray Whitney type of player, and he is effective in a lot of roles (can play multiple forward positions, as well as the point on the PP).

Tom Wilson: at the time of the draft, it wasn't clear whether this guy had top-6 scoring potential or just a big body. Now, he looks to be all they could have asked for and more. I have no doubt that if the draft were re-done today, Wilson would be a top 10 or 12 pick at the lowest. Those are the only two guys who would make me think really think twice if i had a time machine, besides the obvious Trouba (who other teams would take first if they, too, had a time machine ).

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
They were one pick away from each other....

And Trouba hasn't looked "very good" this preseason. He's shown flashes just like DePo has, however, he's shown he is just as likely to make rookie mistakes. Trouba has the better physical tools compared to Pouliot, but if people on this board actually remain patient, they will see that Trouba's hockey IQ isn't even close to Pouliots....and that can make a huge difference in development/transition....

I'm just happy that the Pens got Maatta at the draft as I had him in the top-10 and DePo around 15-20. To have both as a SC contender every year is impressive for Shero. FF and Grigs are extremely overrated on this board just because there is this perception the Pens need top-6 wingers
Every rookie makes mistakes, but Trouba has been, as I said, very good this preseason. But don't take my word on it, this is what his coach had to say:

Quote:
For a 19-year-old player I think he makes good decisions, he plays hard, he plays a lot of minutes and makes a lot of good decisions," said the Jets' boss. "There's some good stability in his game."
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...225465632.html

Both Trouba and Nurse made mistakes here and there, but they were easily the most impressive blueline rookies I saw this preseason.

Also saying Trouba doesn't have DP hockey sense is comical. Offensively DP is more gifted, but reading the play, understanding body positioning, stick work, using leverage, Trouba is leagues ahead of DP right now.

I've already sung the praises of DP many times, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that Trouba doesn't have a chance to be the better player. IHWR and I both talked about passing on Trouba on draft day while others were lamenting them passing on some avg fwd prospects. So my feelings on Trouba have been well known, yet I've still said I love the DP pick since day one.

Jaded asked about guys the Pens passed over and I gave him an honest answer.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Jacob

Forsberg's stock was based entirely on one particular tournament, the Ivan Hlinka, in which he dominated. He was pretty forgettable everywhere else, including the Swedish 2nd tier league and the WJCs. Doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, as he's developed well since, but obviously the Pens weren't the only team that felt that 5 great games in your draft year isn't enough to use a top 10 pick on someone.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
A big, skilled, two-way RH shooting winger who captained his WJC team and has left pre-season impressions like this:

Nashville Predators' Filip Forsberg having strong preseason

Quote:
“He was really consistent in the preseason in the scrimmage portion, but since we got into the exhibition season he’s been a force offensively,” Trotz said. “But I’m more impressed at his compete in really small-area type of situations, because over in Europe there’s a little more space and therefore you have time to adjust; there’s not as much wall play. And he hasn’t shied away from any of that. He’s actually excelled at making decisions in real small areas, which is a real gift for a young guy.”
Quote:
Bourque has been surprised by some of Forsberg’s plays.

“He is a kid who is really talented,” he said. “He has come with the puck and made some great plays. He’s made some unreal passes. It’s hard to believe he’s only 19.”
Quote:
Extraordinary talent helps Forsberg be able to stick to the basics and still have success, Legwand said.

“He does the right things on the ice that makes things simple for himself and his teammates,” he said. “And that’s a big thing at this level.”
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Nah, we'd never be high on a guy like that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'd be surprised if Forsberg doesn't become a really good player. I've had the opportunity to watch him numerous times and have always come away very impressed with his talent. That said, I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over them picking Pouliot instead. The kid looks like he has a great chance to be the PP QB this team has been desperately missing since Gonchar left town.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote