HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Pens vs. Sabres

Old
10-05-2013, 11:31 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I don't get playing Malkin with Glass or Adams. I kind of get it at the very end when you may want a grinder that will scrap if someone tries something dirty with Malkin but the rest of the time it's just stupid.
I think he's just trying to boost their stats.

It would be mildly adorable if he was a small child, but he's an adult and HC so it's just sad.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:34 PM
mpp9

You have to laugh when you think about it. Geno is obviously trying to improve his goal scoring from last season. Especially after being shutout vs. Boston. He's working his ass off all night, and DB has him go over the boards several times with the guy without an offensive bone in his body.

#Bylsmalogic

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Honour Over Glory

I don't get why it's always Malkin that gets stuck with those two, Sid used to but now he rarely does, but I guess he gets glorified "plugs" on his line, so that's punishment enough. Not that Kunitz deserves that title, but the first two games, good god yes.

The worst part is that Shero and Bylsma love guys like Glass and Adams. A coach with some balls would need to come in and just bench both and say "they don't fit my system." That'd be the end of them for the Pens.

Ah...dare to dream.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:35 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Maybe he hates Geno for being Russian and is trying to sabotage him?

Crosby gets stuck with Kunitz and Dupuis because Dupuis is what Bylsma wishes he was and thinks he could have been. If he'd had the chance, man. The "best line in hockey" can't be broken up because Dupuis needs extra time with Crosby to pad his stats, now.

#Bylsmalogic #aintnologic

Old
10-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yes, because it makes no difference if Malkin and Neal (when he returns) play with Bennett or Jokinen. With Neal out, Jokinen, not Bennett, is the third wheel with Malkin, and is it any wonder that Malkin's pickup in his play today coincided with his getting consistent shifts with Bennett? You want JJ in the top nine when Neal returns, then play him with Sutter and Kobasew. At long last, it's time for this team's best winger to play with Sid or Geno.

The best winger already does play with Sid or Geno.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

And the fact it worked one damn time when Adams scored is enough to insure stubborn Dan will be using that strategy all year now.

It's such a waste of Malkin or Crosby's energy to double shift one of them with Glass and/or Adams though. I could see if it were Dustin Jeffrey or someone with some semblance of an offensive game but that is not the case despite Adams' two goals so far.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:42 PM
domaug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post

The best winger already does play with Sid or Geno.
next you're going to tell me Grizzly Adams had a beard...

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
And the fact it worked one damn time when Adams scored is enough to insure stubborn Dan will be using that strategy all year now.

It's such a waste of Malkin or Crosby's energy to double shift one of them with Glass and/or Adams though. I could see if it were Dustin Jeffrey or someone with some semblance of an offensive game but that is not the case despite Adams' two goals so far.
Except that's been done for like ever with Sid, even before, DB.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
next you're going to tell me Grizzly Adams had a beard...
No. But Grizzly Adams did have a Bear..d.....

Old
10-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

He did have a shift with Vitale and Adams.

I had to rub my eyes to be sure Glass was on the bench...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

people are complaining about double shifting Malkin? that's how it has worked league-wide for decades - a member of the 4th line sits while a better player takes his shift. it's not a case of promoting the two 4th line wingers to the 2nd line...

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Except that's been done for like ever with Sid, even before, DB.
Yeah, I know they've double shifted Sid and Geno with 4th liners before. Although Glass and Adams probably take the cake as far as being the two most offensively challenged pair of wingers Sid or Geno have ever been double shifted with. I guess the point it that Dan likely feels vindicated by that one goal the other night.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:50 PM
domaug*

Quote:
No. But Grizzly Adams did have a Bear..d.....

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
He did have a shift with Vitale and Adams.

I had to rub my eyes to be sure Glass was on the bench...
Yeah, I caught that as well. It was nice to see Vitale get that opportunity. I'd rather see him in that spot than Glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
people are complaining about double shifting Malkin? that's how it has worked league-wide for decades - a member of the 4th line sits while a better player takes his shift. it's not a case of promoting the two 4th line wingers to the 2nd line...
I get that. I'm not complaining about Malkin or Crosby getting double shifted. I think it's more just complaining about our 4th line sucking and not having better players on that line to double shift Crosby or Malkin with.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I don't get why it's always Malkin that gets stuck with those two, Sid used to but now he rarely does, but I guess he gets glorified "plugs" on his line, so that's punishment enough. Not that Kunitz deserves that title, but the first two games, good god yes.
I thought both of them double-shifted on the fourth line tonight? Malkin does it more often but I'm pretty sure I noticed Crosby out there at least once. Maybe it was just a change though.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 494
Missed the beginning of the first, but I liked what I did see. MAF is playing great. Too bad that Adams scored again.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Pghkev
Beer is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Lots of good stuff that has been covered.

I think Sutter is getting a bit if a raw deal among some. Thought he made numerous good plays in this one. Bortuzzo is focused on a bit less because of Maatta novelty, but he was enormous in this one. So was Scuderi again.
Lots of good interplay on Malkin's line but I still worry that ultimately it will need more jam than Jokinen when we face real opposition.

Negatives - seeing the numerous occasions where two thirds of Malkin's line is out there with Glass or Adams.
Thinking about Dupuis being a Pen for four years at 3.75 per. We could put Bennett on the top line and Jeffrey permanently on the third and all we'd miss would be a bit of speed while getting 3 million extra in cap room and have the potential to add someone who is needed more.

Ah well... heresy I suppose.
Dupuis was an awful signing and it's only going to get worse. How many teams would trade for Dupuis even if they didn't have to give up much? Terrible contract

Pghkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Polaris Letang
A Bad Current

Didn't get to watch tonight, because I was out for the Williams Grove National Open.

I know he's just getting his 9 game look, but is Maatta playing well enough to maybe force a Nisky trade when Letang is ready to come back?

Can he keep it up?

Polaris Letang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:31 AM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Dupuis still looking like garbage. The evil part of me wants it to continue so Beau maybe gets a look there.
I had the same initial reaction, but then realized that HCDB will NEVER move Dupuis from Sid's line. So we'd be basically shooting ourselves in the foot for nothing.

MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
The Penguins could have aggressively reshaped the team this off-season if they had decided to move Sutter and some others.
Hell, not re-signing Adams and Dupuis would have been an aggressively reshape for this team.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghkev View Post
Dupuis was an awful signing and it's only going to get worse. How many teams would trade for Dupuis even if they didn't have to give up much? Terrible contract
He was 7th in Selke voting last year while scoring at a 30 goal/65 point pace, and showed that he can produce at a 25 goal/60 point pace with much less to work with a season earlier.

Several teams would pay 3.75 mil per for that.

Last edited by Warm Cookies: 10-06-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Several.
Hope you are right. And, less likely, that Shero would pull the trigger if you are.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Hope you are right. And, less likely, that Shero would pull the trigger if you are.
I am. And he won't.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:47 AM
SHOOTANDSCORE
Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

I don't think the Dupuis signing was so bad. It may be bad in the last year or so but by then it will also be a smaller cap %.

He has been putting up good numbers regardless of his linemates, is a fitness freak, and was even mentioned in Selke discussions last year. The only problem is how he has been used. Not many people would complain about paying a top notch defensive forward and 50 point player that kind of money to anchor the third line.

ETA I should have refreshed before posting.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:51 AM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
I don't think the Dupuis signing was so bad. It may be bad in the last year or so but by then it will also be a smaller cap %.

He has been putting up good numbers regardless of his linemates, is a fitness freak, and was even mentioned in Selke discussions last year. The only problem is how he has been used. Not many people would complain about paying a top notch defensive forward and 50 point player that kind of money to anchor the third line.
How he's used is the biggest problem, that and I'm going to spend the rest of his contract waiting or him to fall off the cliff. He doesn't look good this season right after signing the damn thing, I can't say I'm happy about that. It might be a brief down turn or it might be his new norm, it's a horrible game to play, Is Dupuis in Decline or Not?

It also enables Bylsma's ********.