HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have you become a Bernier believer?

Old
10-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
Yes you guru's make perfect sense now...taking about playoffs even while Bernier get his first only 3rd straight start tomorrow in his career.

Reimer was light out when he come on the scene. One of his first NHL wins in LA too. History will once again repeat itself here.
By the end of the year Bernier will have more NHL games under his belt then Reimer will and the Reimer people will have nothing else to cling to in their justification of sticking with him.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
so basically - if they don't feel they can get a star this year, they';ll give up. if they draft this year, they automatically give up the 2015 pick.

i like picks like that.
Yeah pretty much. It means they'll have to do their homework on both draft classes to make the most informed decision about what year to give up but the great thing about waiting up until the second round to make the decision is that a few unexpected picks can skew the way the draft unfolds. The arrangement gives Nonis the most possible time to assess his situation before giving up the pick.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Just a fun little fact, If Bernier was to give up 6 goals on 6 shots next game and was pulled, his sv% would still be higher then Reimer's was last year. I know its a small sample size so far, but when you have built in that much buffer into your stats with a small sample size it shows you how dominant he has been.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:43 PM
dimi78

"Hate to play revisionist - and not that Reimer was bad - but I don't think the Bruins win that series with Bernier in net.

The Bruins have been propped up by quality goaltending for years, Bernier takes that advantage away."

Every team who's known as a strong defensive team stems from the back bone of there goaltending. You can't be a defensive team without it anymore than an offensive team who likes to play a more open style of game. There's a reason why those great NJ teams of the past that were well known for there strong defense that Broduer was the team MVP year in and year out. You can't do anything without goaltending frankly that's how you end up as a Lottery team come seasons end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post
Yes you guru's make perfect sense now...taking about playoffs even while Bernier get his first only 3rd straight start tomorrow in his career.

Reimer was light out when he come on the scene. One of his first NHL wins in LA too. History will once again repeat itself here.
Reimer was never lights out, He's always been inconsistent and the book on his glove side was apparent right off the start when Tampa ate him a live if you could remeber... Although I would like to see a little more from Bernier (VS BOSTON) to get as giddy as many have at this point of time while he's hot but you have to be a real fan boy to not recognize that once Boston made it 4-2 in game 7 Reimer was clearly rattled and lost his composure. He was just as responsible for what happen than anybody else on the team only he was in the best position to actually do something about it and he melted... It was eerie similar to his last start vs Ottawa poor rebounds that handcuffed the team in front when he was playing well. It's a reacquiring theme on Reimer in why Nonis traded for Bernier in the first place and help push Reimer to improve. When Reimer is on his game his rebound control isn't bad, he's composed and square to the shooters, when he gets rattled which can happen at any given moment of a game his rebound control suffers and he starts to scramble in the result of it. Too much blame gets placed on the D in front when in actuality it's Reimer himself who's his worst enemy.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:58 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
You guys finally have great goalie to build your team around.. best one since Belfour and Joseph thats for sure! You guys ***** LA with that trade!
It wasn't a trade where the Kings were in a position to get anything back...

Quote:
"I don’t think any general manager wants to be in that position where you have to trade a player and he’s a really good player," Lombardi said.

"What makes this tough is that it’s procedural, you have to move him, it’s not even a hockey deal, you’re looking for an asset deal."

What made it worse for Lombardi is that he doesn’t feel other NHL teams fully realized Bernier’s potential and value.

"You've got something that's valuable that you have to move, but the market doesn’t recognize it," Lombardi said.

The leafs really caught a huge break here

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Jaqen

I was always a Bernier believer, but more than that I wanted him to steal the starting position from Reimer because of the rather annoying myth that Reimer was the sole reason that we ever won a game at all last season and so on and so forth and even more irritating that trading for Bernier was disrespectful towards him.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:50 AM
hockeywiz542

Toronto Sun: Jonathan Bernier gives Maple Leafs 'great confidence'

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/11...eat-confidence

Quote:
Coach Randy Carlyle loves to say how Bernier "absorbs" the puck, cutting down on loose rubber, the subsequent scoring chances and those confounded giveaways. The Leafs remain last in that latter team stat, but since Bernier relieved James Reimer a week ago, they've dropped from 33 against the Senators to 16 in the defeat to Colorado to 11 in Bernier's shutout of Nashville on Thursday.

"He's a patch of velcro back there -- there are no rebounds," said defenceman Cody Franson on Friday. "He's very athletic and makes a lot of tough saves look easy. He gets across the crease really well.

"He reads shots, even the ones he does have to fight through traffic for. There is a big skill set behind him."

Winger Troy Bodie, who played in Anaheim when Bernier was with the rival Kings, was impressed with what he saw the few times Bernier displaced Jonathan Quick in L.A.

"He's given us great confidence," Bodie said. "What's great is he's always in position, he's not scrambling to make plays. He's just always there. It's pretty much what I expected from him."

A few Leafs held their breath on Thursday when the game was still close and Predators defenceman Shea Weber wound up with his home-run swing.

"He really gobbled it up," Bodie said of the snap glove save.

Bernier sits third in NHL save percentage at .974, though the only two goaltenders ahead of him before Friday's games were ex-Leafs J-S Giguere and Ben Scrivens in their token appearances with the Avs and Kings.

Last edited by hockeywiz542: 10-12-2013 at 01:55 AM.
hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:01 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Amazing that Nonis was the only GM to put forward a serious offer for Bernier.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

i became a Bernier believer the minute the trade was announced. I like reamer, but any true hockey fan knows Bernier is in a higher tier.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:20 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Wow, you know a trade is a steal when the GM of the team trading him admits it was a steal. Market value or not, the Leafs look like they made out like bandits on this one.

That "great confidence" story seems like it signals the end of Reimer as a starter. Hope he can handle it.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Totally agree, Philly, Calgary and even Jersey should have outbid us. Jersey could have kept the 1st rounder and still have a excellent young goalie.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Totally agree, Philly, Calgary and even Jersey should have outbid us. Jersey could have kept the 1st rounder and still have a excellent young goalie.
I'd swap out Jersey for Edmonton. Can't blame Lou for making Schneider a priority. Even though in hindsight it's possible Bernier could be better.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon of Styx View Post
I'd swap out Jersey for Edmonton. Can't blame Lou for making Schneider a priority. Even though in hindsight it's possible Bernier could be better.
Oil fans will tell you Dubnyk is comparable.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Count Von Grabo*

I want his babies

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Wonder Dan
Fairies Wear Boots

Send a message via Yahoo to Wonder Dan
4 bloody games....

Wonder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Dan View Post
4 bloody games....
As a Leaf...

I guess if Stamkos came to Toronto and had 6 points after 4 games, you would say... 4bloody games

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:21 AM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

vCash: 50
Quote:
4 bloody games....

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:30 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
For that reason alone Holmgren and whomever is in charge in Edmonton should have been fired.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
4 bloody games....
Yeah let's ignore his statistics from his whole previous career. Let's also ignore he pretty much willed the Kings in to the playoffs last year when Quick went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
For that reason alone Holmgren and whomever is in charge in Edmonton should have been fired.
I can't believe it. How did Homer not think "hmm that's not too high of a price to pay. Decent prospect/young NHLer, second string goalie and a 2nd"

10-12-2013, 08:36 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
4 bloody games....
Calder?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
I always thought Lombardi had a hard-on for Frattin.

Now I see it was a combination of that and Nonis' persistence. Atta boy Dave.

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:52 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Yeah let's ignore his statistics from his whole previous career. Let's also ignore he pretty much willed the Kings in to the playoffs last year when Quick went down.

I can't believe it. How did Homer not think "hmm that's not too high of a price to pay. Decent prospect/young NHLer, second string goalie and a 2nd"
He probably thought since they had the guy who beat our Bernier at the WJC they were good

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Toque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

Reimer was never lights out, He's always been inconsistent and the book on his glove side was apparent right off the start when Tampa ate him a live if you could remeber... Although I would like to see a little more from Bernier (VS BOSTON) to get as giddy as many have at this point of time while he's hot but you have to be a real fan boy to not recognize that once Boston made it 4-2 in game 7 Reimer was clearly rattled and lost his composure. He was just as responsible for what happen than anybody else on the team only he was in the best position to actually do something about it and he melted... It was eerie similar to his last start vs Ottawa poor rebounds that handcuffed the team in front when he was playing well. It's a reacquiring theme on Reimer in why Nonis traded for Bernier in the first place and help push Reimer to improve. When Reimer is on his game his rebound control isn't bad, he's composed and square to the shooters, when he gets rattled which can happen at any given moment of a game his rebound control suffers and he starts to scramble in the result of it. Too much blame gets placed on the D in front when in actuality it's Reimer himself who's his worst enemy.
No way...When Reimer hit the scene nobody knew his strength or weakness. Hey was lights out. Never got lite up from tamps until later. The rise of reimer YouTube videos proves this. Almost made the playoff too. Everyone here forgets

Toque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:00 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Theres no doubt that Bernier has "looked" better thus far, but Reimer looked pretty good in the opener as well and had zero support in his second outing.

That said Bernier has had some periods where he has been the difference in the hockey game and has indeed stolen the game. I am a believer but I also believe that with the team playing tight positional hockey in front of him Gentleman Jimmy wins games as well.

As one of the posters said above it's only been 4 games(3.5 games really). Not trying to put a damper on the exuberance but expectations may be running a little high, Giggy a proven SC goaltender served up 2 shutouts in his debut with the the Leafs, but as support in front of him waned so did his numbers.

The team needs to start playing better hockey, because goaltenders can't steal every game!

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

I have to wonder how many times the "only # games" mantra is going to go on. are we going to go "Only 100 games!" :facepalm": next year? He's played before.

And I don't even think this is a Raycroft situation, because, Bernier isn't a rookie. He's only played less games because he's played behind Quick who is a big minute eater. It's not like in (is it St Louis?) where they pretty much split goalie duties [and you have to wonder how long they can do that, before one of them asks for a trade as well. as Bernier said, no one wants to be #2 for very long (Daisy paraphrase)]

I get that we've been burned by goaltending issues before, but I think that was just a perfect storm of suck: in theory - Raycroft should have been good, but whatever reason, he was just a ball of suck. Ditto with Pogge. Toskala was lazy. Allaire (and Injuries) broke the Monster here, and I think Gigure was a victim of Wilson's ineptness to come up with a plan to you know, play defense.

Bernier isn't any of that.
people who've seen him play for longer than the "4 games" is saying that we got a steal of a deal here.

the GM who TRADED him is saying that we really, really have something special.

the MEDIA (LeBrun, he's a good egg) is saying we have something special.

but! it's okay y'all, Bernier's played only 4 games!
oi.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote