HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want more EGG-Habs win 4-1

Old
10-06-2013, 11:29 AM
CanadianSharks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
That's the easiest game Price will have all year. Flyers were brutal.

I will state the obvious - Briere and DD are embarrassing at this point.
Dude, just get over your Price hatred. He played extremely well. You're just blind to it.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:40 AM
ak90210

Saying Price was great yesterday/only let in one goal is pretty disingenuous when you consider the extra weak goal he gave up and had the refs bail him out on.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:41 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Eller doesn't like the EGG nickname, saying they are more than just an EGG.

As per Brian Wilde.
well, when Subban is on the ice, they are EGGS

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Eller doesn't like the EGG nickname, saying they are more than just an EGG.

As per Brian Wilde.
I don't blame Lars - who's the most famous egg on the planet - Humpty Dumpty..and just like Lars... he had a great fall. Hits too close to home for Lars I think.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I don't blame Lars - who's the most famous egg on the planet - Humpty Dumpty..and just like Lars... he had a great fall. Hits too close to home for Lars I think.
I lol'd.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
HABsurde

people on this board are ludicrous, 2 games and let's kill Desharnais and Brière....

You should all remember that during camp. Desharnais, Brière and Pacioretty were very good, and if i may say, E-G-G weren't that good....

Habs had a tendency before on judging the play in a 5 games block... we should all do the same with players... because, you never know, maybe in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, 1 and two half man may get 8 points and EGG just not what they crack up to be in the first 2 games....

i'll do a judgment after 5 games where you can start noticing patterns or evolution but after 2 games (And for Briêre-Desharnais-Pacioretty, 2 periods!!!) i'm going to hold my breath a bit....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:54 AM
FreakyFish

Why not try Patch-Bournival-Briere?

FreakyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Sorry but the comment I quoted from you was ironically similar to the comments on Halak you tend to defend in the Out of Town Thread. Couldn't resist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Well the connection is quite clear. People often used Halak's St.Louis' performances to crap on Price since the trade, yourself included. When people tried to use quality of opposition and shots against as a way to downplay Halak's accomplishments, those who brought up Halak in the first place wouldn't accept it.

Now that Price has a good game, you downplay it by citing shots against and quality of opposition. If that is a way to downplay Price's performance, then it applies also to all the comparisons made with Halak by Price detractors over the last few years.

You dismiss Price's performance last night because they played the Flyers, then dismiss Watsatheo's comments citing Halak's shutout, despite the fact that the blues completely trashed the Panthers 7-0. But you're right, we shouldn't praise Price because the habs played the Flyers and we shouldn't crap on Halak because he got a shutout.
I've simply used 2 examples to dispute the falsehoods that Montreal's defence is absolutely the worst every night (it was great last night 23 shots mostly low quality) , and that St. Louis defence is absolutely the best every night (Halak had to stop a point blank save and a breakaway to preserve a win where the St. Louis defence bent in the 3rd period).

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
I've simply used 2 examples to dispute the falsehoods that Montreal's defence is absolutely the worst every night (it was great last night 23 shots mostly low quality) , and that St. Louis defence is absolutely the best every night (Halak had to stop a point blank save and a breakaway to preserve a win where the St. Louis defence bent in the 3rd period).
A game like last night is far more the norm for the Blues than the Habs...that's why they give up very few goals/shots regardless of who's in net and win a lot of games. You're point is based on absolutes which can be used for the best team ever assembled as no one is void of making mistakes. The best goalie in the league is not absolutely the best every night and the worst starter is not absolutely the worst every night. I think you're missing the point on the matter of comparing team quality. One thing happens far more often for one team than the other. What adds to this of course is the similar success of one team regardless of who's in goal.

I understand your subjective point suggesting Price didn't have the 'point-blank saves'/tough saves to preserve the win as Halak did in his 'easy' night because of good D. However you are missing my point. This is what is commonly said of Halak after every ~15 save shutout he gets with the Blues. Something that you have defended in the past. I find it ironic that you use similar terms against Price and will receive the pretty much exact rebuttal you made in favour of Halak but in favour of Price.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:51 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
Uh, 2 games. 1.5 of which without Patches. And you make it sound like his playoff performances have been exaggerated, or over-rated. but his numbers prove otherwise. Maybe a little patience?
That's just it, briere could be the greatest briefs and its still not what we need. If the best thing about his play is less ice for ddbthats not so good.

And its not just his lack of production, its his lazy penalties and the fact that what he brings we have a lot of. Its a race to the bottom between briefs and did because our other small players are playing so much better. Briefs is no spring chicken, you know what he brings and its unlikely he will change any time soon.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
people on this board are ludicrous, 2 games and let's kill Desharnais and Brière....

You should all remember that during camp. Desharnais, Brière and Pacioretty were very good, and if i may say, E-G-G weren't that good....

Habs had a tendency before on judging the play in a 5 games block... we should all do the same with players... because, you never know, maybe in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, 1 and two half man may get 8 points and EGG just not what they crack up to be in the first 2 games....

i'll do a judgment after 5 games where you can start noticing patterns or evolution but after 2 games (And for Briêre-Desharnais-Pacioretty, 2 periods!!!) i'm going to hold my breath a bit....
Although I understand where you're coming from, Desharnais and Briere only look good when they play defense corps that are slow and soft teams like Carolina.

Although it's funny that we were willing to give Cole 10 games before throwing towel on his case, how about we give Briere the same treatment. Cole didn't score until his 7th game IIRC.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post

Preseason stats for NHL regulars are not indicative of up coming season performance as we've seen year after year. It's a time for building chemistry and testing out up and coming rookies. You have to remember these are lineups with a lot of AHLers/teenagers in preseason. NHL regulars are playing for different reasons than those guys who are playing life/death to make the team - see Bournival and Tinordi.

Pacioretty was indeed lighting it up in pre season as he usually does...but does that really mean the line is good? IMO the issue is what many have suggested for a while including preseason - that Desharnais' success in the NHL is basically 100% reliant on Pacioretty. When he returns and scores goals with DD picking up a few assists here and there it wouldn't change what looks more and more like a fact that Pacioretty carries the line. DD and Briere not being able to produce without Pac is a pretty big concern considering the 7.5M cap between them in addition to the requirement of giving them easy D minutes.

I think Briere will do better away from Desharnais since both seem to like the same spots in the offensive zone. That line IMO isn't a good mix. The problem MT has is there is no where else to play DD or Briere due to their limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Although I understand where you're coming from, Desharnais and Briere only look good when they play defense corps that are slow and soft teams like Carolina.

Although it's funny that we were willing to give Cole 10 games before throwing towel on his case, how about we give Briere the same treatment. Cole didn't score until his 7th game IIRC.
Cole was coming off a 26 goal/52 point season with Carolina and Martin for whatever reason thought he was not worthy of top 6 minutes or PP time.

Briere is coming off a terrible season with the Flyers and getting prime offensive opportunities like 5 on 3 and 1st PP unit.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 10-06-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Captain Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Preseason stats for NHL regulars are not indicative of up coming season performance as we've seen year after year. It's a time for building chemistry and testing out up and coming rookies. You have to remember these are lineups with a lot of AHLers/teenagers in preseason. NHL regulars are playing for different reasons than those guys who are playing life/death to make the team - see Bournival and Tinordi.

Pacioretty was indeed lighting it up in pre season as he usually does...but does that really mean the line is good? IMO the issue is what many have suggested for a while including preseason - that Desharnais' success in the NHL is basically 100% reliant on Pacioretty. When he returns and scores goals with DD picking up a few assists here and there it wouldn't change what looks more and more like a fact that Pacioretty carries the line. DD and Briere not being able to produce without Pac is a pretty big concern considering the 7.5M cap between them in addition to the requirement of giving them easy D minutes.

I think Briere will do better away from Desharnais since both seem to like the same spots in the offensive zone. That line IMO isn't a good mix. The problem MT has is there is no where else to play DD or Briere due to their limitations.

Cole was coming off a 26 goal/52 point season with Carolina and Martin for whatever reason thought he was not worthy of top 6 minutes or PP time.

Briere is coming off a terrible season with the Flyers and getting prime offensive opportunities like 5 on 3 and 1st PP unit.
While Desharnais has been better with Patches than without, that has less to do with Patches carrying him and more to do with Pacioretty being a dominant possession player. Desharnais helped carry Cole and others in possession. His problem right now is a lack of confidence and (like you mentioned) being paired with Briere who is nearly the same player. He can be effective, but he needs to be in exploitation role. So does Briere. They both don't complement each other. That's the issue.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
This just in : all religious wars come to and end in light of Lars Eller being the only true God, and Galchenyuk, his son.

That is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Code View Post
Eller : NHL #1 goal scorer with Ovechkin, Graboski and Vrbata
NHL #1 point leader with Ovechkin and Grabovski

Amazing to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Darche to Eller:

"Beside getting rid of me as a linemate, what makes your line so succesful?"

Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Now the million dollar question... what happens when Pacioretty is back? Surely his injury wasn't the only reason MT gave so much ice time to the kid line. Right?
This is so tough. Bourque should stay with Plek because we wouldn't want to see him change anything he's doing for us right now. He's been great. I think for now we should keep the DD line as the 3rd line for now and figure it out without ruining chemistry. But as ChoseLa said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It's interesting to see that Therrien wasn't playing Desharnais but was playing Patch actually, it explains a lot.
We might not get that chance because he'll want to play patches quite a bit when he comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I like what Therrien said after the game.It shows that he's had a plan all along about how to distribute minutes, and it's not just a general hard-on for certain players (DD, Bouillon, etc)...
I think his plan was revised. I do like that he's showing he'll change his mind and ride the hot players, but I still worry sometimes about how stubborn he is. Hopefully the Demotion for DD is consistent, because for once we're not a 1 line team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I liked what Bournival did tonight in limited time. He was solid in the 3rd. He has a good two way game. He's a much better player than Dumont who I've never been overly impressed with.
He is huge upgrade on dumont. And not even for the size. Bournival is so fast! He causes our 4th line to be way tougher to play against because it's now a mix of different styles. Plus if he can turn it over, his speed and IQ can create good support scoring chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Just finished watching the game recorded.

The kid line was the best on the ice by far. Eller was stellar, Galchenyuk's feeds were big league passes. Thought the Bourque line was really good too. Bourque in particular was really strong on the puck and generated a lot of strong forecheck and work in deep along the boards that got results. Disappointed with DD and especially Brière, but hopefully he's just getting accustomed to things. Price was solid. Bournival amazes me with his speed and smarts. Markov looked to be much quicker and alert, realizing he has to compensate for his loss of speed. Price made the big saves when he had to.

Should be a good season.
I own the copyright on that...

But for real everything you said is true. Galchenyuk is such an amazing passer (not just for vision either; his passes are CRISP). And as I said, Bourque is playing great. He`s the engine on the Plekanec line.

My boy Carey Price is looking sharp after two games. I think he's gonna be great this year if our blueline can get healthy, because then his crease will be better protected.

Really impressed with MT for knowing the EGG line has to get more minutes to grow and that they have deserved it. I like our chances against lots of teams.

Feels good man.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Meh...

.... Parros when healthy.
That could be a month from now. Maybe longer. Who plays in the meantine? DD? Briere?

Last edited by Habs Icing: 10-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Habs Icing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
No Team Needed

Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - White - Parros
Bournival

Looks good to me.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
StellerEller
Neednewname:(

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Moen - White - Parros
Bournival

Looks good to me.
If we can get rid of DD and Gionta retires, next year could look like this:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Briere
Prust-Galchenyuk-XXX(Rookie?)
Moen-Bournival-Parros/White

If we can find another top9 to give Galch someone to play with on the third, whether from within or maybe trade (the return for DD?), we could have a VERY stacked team, especially if XXX= a powerforward to feed passes to.

Once DD is moved, and the logjam is cleared, we're going to have some great structure in our lineup. Lots of stability and size, but with a good mix of youth and vets.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:19 PM
No Team Needed

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta is our top defensive line. Don't know if Gallagher is ready for that kind of responsibility. Prust could work well there though. Same with Leblanc if he develops how I think he will.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:22 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta is our top defensive line. Don't know if Gallagher is ready for that kind of responsibility. Prust could work well there though. Same with Leblanc if he develops how I think he will.
We don't really have another guy to slot in on that RW who is strong enough at both ends of the ice. I guess you can move up Maxpac to LW and shift Bourque to right.

Max + pleks would dominate, imo.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Serious HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFish View Post
Why not try Patch-Bournival-Briere?
your avatar is amazing.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:26 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We don't really have another guy to slot in on that RW who is strong enough at both ends of the ice. I guess you can move up Maxpac to LW and shift Bourque to right.

Max + pleks would dominate, imo.
Strange how the coaches always keep them apart. Reminds me of Koivu/Kovalev.

If we really wanted to have fun with the lines:

Patches - Eller - Bourque

Talk about power.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Strange how the coaches always keep them apart. Reminds me of Koivu/Kovalev.

If we really wanted to have fun with the lines:

Patches - Eller - Bourque

Talk about power.
Bourque should be so much better than he actually is...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
That wasn't the point.
What was shown to you is your clear double standard. If it were the Blues yesterday instead of the Habs, you would have mentioned Halak's performance.
But since it's Price, you're downplaying it.

I don't really understand why people are still talking about Halak anyways. It's been 4 years already, he's had one solid year there and never reached the 60 game plateau.
Seriously, time to let it go perhaps.

Price had an easy night, still made saves, overall good job.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I wish the team had a legitimate 4C who wins draws, kills penalties and plays big.
White went 6 wins to 1 loss in the circle, he kills penalties, and he had a fight. Isn't that exactly what you want?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
1UP

Best play from Eller all night - the penalty he drew, carrying a player from the blue line to the corner, then tossing him like a salad.

PK called him the Terminator during 24CH. We can see why. He's getting monstruous!

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote