The Stars and the Cap..

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
The Stars and the Cap..

I calculated all of the Stars contracts for 2005/2006 and had the returning RFA/UFA's re-signing for the same amount they made in 2004. I also did the 24% rollback and have Pierre Turgeon being bought out..

All that will aproxemately have our payroll at around 38 million dollars, only problem is that this consists out of 2 goalies, 6 defensemen and 13 forwards. This means we can bring up/sign 2 or 3 rookies tops, to fill out the roster and still to be under the cap.

I think we'll be fairly alright.. not nearly as bad as some people claim, that's for sure. But we'll have some work to do.. I don't think staying under the cap requires something as drastic such as a Modano, Guerin or Zubov being bought out or letting a Jason Arnott walk..

Management will have a tough task ahead of them, but the staff of a supposed cup contender can work this out without any major changes.. We'll see if we still belong in that category in the upcoming days..

Should be an exciting summer..

Old
07-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
I think both Guerin and Turgeon should be bough out. Turgeon for obvious reasons, and Guerin because he'll be making about $6.73 million after the rollback. You could easily buy him out and then go sign a UFA/buyout from another team for less than that to provide close to the same scoring.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
I think both Guerin and Turgeon should be bough out. Turgeon for obvious reasons, and Guerin because he'll be making about $6.73 million after the rollback. You could easily buy him out and then go sign a UFA/buyout from another team for less than that to provide close to the same scoring.
Buying out Bill Guerin isn't necessary. Guerin fits our needs perfectly and is magic alongside Arnott and Morrow. I'd rather dump a non-core, but still relatively important player such as Barnes or Klemm.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Dastars

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3756644

Old
07-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastars
They mentioned that the Stars may possibly consider buying out Lehtinen..

What a stupid *** article..

Simply laughable..

Quote:
Lehtinen should also a buyout candidate, as he will make far too much for his production

Last edited by Ajacied: 07-14-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
Buying out Bill Guerin isn't necessary. Guerin fits our needs perfectly and is magic alongside Arnott and Morrow. I'd rather dump a non-core, but still relatively important player such as Barnes or Klemm.
I bet Guerin's gone not because he won't fit under the cap this year, but because he might not fit next year. There's a strong possibility that the cap will go down next year as the league recovers, and the Stars won't want to be hovering near the cap number in case that happens.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:34 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
They mentioned that the Stars may possibly consider buying out Lehtinen..

What a stupid *** article..

Simply laughable..

Lehtinen would be one of the last to be bought out on the DAL team IMO.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Game_Misconduct

I'd buy out Turgeon and Guerin and let Arnott walk.

There is going to be so much talent on the market it makes sense to free up as much room as possible and retool this team. Yeah, Guerin and Arnott can still play but there will be more attractive options out there.

How much better would the blueline look if they sign Hatcher with some of the money they free up dumping these guys? Apparently Detroit's seriously thinking of buying him out.

And don't forget that along with signing Modano, they HAVE to lock up Brendan Morrow.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
He's also going to be making over $6 million now. Thats a little more than 15% of the entire cap. He's also got 2 more years left on his contract, meaning he'll count $6 million next year as well, when no one knows what the cap will be(meaning that if the cap drops next year because of lost revenue, then he'll take up an even higher % of the cap). I'd take the money saved from him and Turgeon(I believe it adds up to around $11 million) and go out and sign 4 or 5 players, instead of 2.

Last edited by Chaos: 07-14-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old
07-23-2005, 01:38 PM
pmb1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
He's also going to be making over $6 million now. Thats a little more than 15% of the entire cap. He's also got 2 more years left on his contract, meaning he'll count $6 million next year as well, when no one knows what the cap will be(meaning that if the cap drops next year because of lost revenue, then he'll take up an even higher % of the cap). I'd take the money saved from him and Turgeon(I believe it adds up to around $11 million) and go out and sign 4 or 5 players, instead of 2.
Definitly.. Guerin is simply not worth that much money. There are plenty of options out there.. why keep the overpayed, underperforming brat? I've also wondered if the stars should buy out Klemm, but I guess they need a veteran defenseman too much.

Old
07-23-2005, 03:49 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_Misconduct
I'd buy out Turgeon and Guerin and let Arnott walk.

There is going to be so much talent on the market it makes sense to free up as much room as possible and retool this team. Yeah, Guerin and Arnott can still play but there will be more attractive options out there.

How much better would the blueline look if they sign Hatcher with some of the money they free up dumping these guys? Apparently Detroit's seriously thinking of buying him out.

And don't forget that along with signing Modano, they HAVE to lock up Brendan Morrow.
I'd offer Arnott a smaller contract and see if he signs, if not, oh well. I believe Niko Kapanen can make a solid second line center behind Modano. This next season isnt going to be a great one for us but in order to not mortgate the future this could be the way to go.

Old
07-23-2005, 08:00 PM
pmb1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
I'd offer Arnott a smaller contract and see if he signs, if not, oh well. I believe Niko Kapanen can make a solid second line center behind Modano. This next season isnt going to be a great one for us but in order to not mortgate the future this could be the way to go.
They have to qualify him at 100%, I'm pretty sure.

Unless they don't qualify him, and then offer him a smaller contract on Aug 1st. I don't think that would go over well though...

Old
07-24-2005, 06:51 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
ok, Turgeon is sure imo

Guerin...it'd be great if he stays, but if in my eyes he's not worth nearly $7m. So if i had to make the decision, i'd say bye to him.

Arnott...i'm not a great fan of him and won't give him his QO. If he signs then for < 2m it's ok

Old
07-24-2005, 12:08 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb1290
They have to qualify him at 100%, I'm pretty sure.

Unless they don't qualify him, and then offer him a smaller contract on Aug 1st. I don't think that would go over well though...
Probably not, but its worth a shot. If he find someone to pay him more, fine, if not, he could resign

Closed Thread