HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi

Old
10-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Paajarvi

Did the arrival of Morrow make him expendable?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Bluesman91

No, it's been 2 games. He still needs time to get used to the system and teammates.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Every player has their price, but what possible motivation would their be to consider moving him?

He is young, plays a responsible game, is on a cheap contract and has a good attitude. We don't need help in goal or on defense, so unless we are getting a better forward or a very good prospect in return there is little reason to consider moving him. He certainly wouldn't be available for scraps.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:13 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I would say that Morrow more or less stole Paajarvi's spot in the lineup to start the season but no, this doesn't make Paajarvi expendable. The kid gets in the lineup as soon as someone gets injured, has an off night, needs a day off or Hitch simply wants to switch things up. I would guess that Paajarvi still plays a majority of the games this season. The Blues are simply super deep at forward is all.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

2 games into a long regular season where injuries will occur? Paajarvi will get his chance once someone gets injured.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:12 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Not quite sure what you're driving at, but I don't see a scenario where the Blues trade him. He's on a cheap contract and is still very young and early in his development. I think he's getting much different coaching than he had in Edmonton, and its going to take some time for him to play fluidly in Hitchcock's system.

The Blues depth, and Morrow's arrival in better-than-expected playing shape (and early success in the line-up) are cementing him a spot, though I'm not convinced he'll stay on a top 6 line. Most likely, someone will get dinged up soon and MPS will move into Schwartz's position while Schwartz will slide up. That, or Morrow will fade a bit and there will be a 3rd line position for MPS.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

Paajarvi is still just learning the Hitchcock system. Once he does, he'll begin to play in for players on and off.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:57 AM
sdaltons

i'm not sure i really like the "just learning Hitchcock's system" argument. aren't derek roy and max lapierre just learning the system?

sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:00 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
I not sure Paajarvi would be the replacement into the top 6 or even the top 9. I believe Hitchcock's love/trust for Sobotka makes him the likely first choice. I'm sure Paajarvi will see some playing time but he could fall behind Cracknell and Porter when it becomes time to fill in on the fourth line. I thought The Blues were a little higher on Paajarvi, but I just think they have a win now mindset so this will effect their lineup and roster decisions through out the year.

Things just have a different feel this year.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
i'm not sure i really like the "just learning Hitchcock's system" argument. aren't derek roy and max lapierre just learning the system?
For my comment, I'm also trying to gently refer to UNLEARNING the style of play that is dooming Edmonton's young star forwards to mediocrity.

Just think about this for a moment: Perron is maybe their most effective 2-way forward. The guy is better defensively than almost all of their top 9.

I think Edmonton is a train wreck in terms of team structure, and the development of their young players is part of it. I think MPS has the tools to be a successful NHL player, but he hasn't gotten to the point where he can play the right way without having to overthink things.

Lapierre already knows exactly how to do that role. Its one of the reasons the team pursued him.

Roy is a good question, though. In this case, I think you're seeing a guy that probably IS a bit of a defensive liability, but there is a deliberate trade-off for his contribution to the offense and play-making. And frankly, I think the Blues' forwards haven't looked nearly as good defensively as a group as they have the past 2 seasons. But its early and I think its a matter of getting fully up to speed.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Edgar

Quote:
They were acquired because they fitted Hitchcocks system already

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
They were acquired because they fitted Hitchcocks system already
Derek Roy isn't exactly known for his defensive prowess. He certainly wasn't brought in because he fit in with Hitch's system. We brought him in because we desperately needed a playmaker to pair with Stewart to maximize his game.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:37 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Big difference between a 30-year old center that has put up 80 points in this league and a 22-year old kid who has done nothing but play for the worst team in the league.

Also re: someone else's question, yes I think Tarasenko fits this team more than Perron. Tarasenko gives us a pure sniper which we need. He's offensively talented, a heavy body and doesn't shy away from physical play. Neither does Perron, but his offensive "gameplan" didn't fit our team. Tarasenko's does, as it's more team-oriented. IMO.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:40 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

We have a thread for discussing Perron and the Perron trade. The relevant conversation has been moved over to that thread. Keep the discussion here about Paajarvi.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:34 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Regarding Roy, Hitch coached him in the World Championships and said he entered as the 13th forward and by the end of the first week, was so good that he was their first left winger on a line with Toews and Sharp. There's plenty of trust and familiarity there. And if you don't know about Hitch coaching Morrow in Dallas, what hockeyless rock have you been hiding under?

Paajarvi is a kid who was rushed and has been playing for the worst team in the league with atrocious coaching. The difference between him and 30+ year old vets, regardless of where they've played, is huge. Give it time.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:36 PM
HooliganX2

To be honest from Hitch's comments it sounds like MPS played himself out of a spot in camp by not being as defensively responsible as they though when they made the trade.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
I don't really think so. I think Morrow basically said that in July it was clear we'd make an offer, if he was still available, once we got our RFA's signed. When Morrow signed then Pääjärvi is the only spot he could take, so unless he was unbelievable in camp then Morrow was probably always going to start.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:22 PM
siegeofshanghai*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
To be honest from Hitch's comments it sounds like MPS played himself out of a spot in camp by not being as defensively responsible as they though when they made the trade.
the guy has never been defensively responsible. He doesnt even throw a body check.

siegeofshanghai* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Checking has nothing to do with being responsible defensively.

Hopefully Paajarvi eventually becomes Steen-lite.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:44 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I didn't watch him in Edmonton enough to comment, but I found it odd that he was cited as being solid defensively (granted this is from Edmonton fans....and I think their idea of defensive play is a bit different than Hitchcock's). It makes a lot more sense to me that the Blues got a player with lots of raw talent and speed who has been coached poorly. He has some ground to make up (and obviously the Blues have enough guys to put together an effective line-up without him).

Its probably going to be good in the long-term for MPS to have to work his way onto the line-up. Hopefully that equals a guy who is working his ass off in practice. Morrow is fading a bit, and I think is going to settle in as the 4th line guy we were picturing. A large body, defensively responsible player with speed to burn would be ideal on the Roy line, I just don't see Magnus as being anywhere near ready to be a regular on that line. But we need to see him in a game sometime soon.

Old
10-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Bluesman91

I hope someone was sitting by him in the pressbox for the past 4 games pointing at Steen and saying "That, is what you need to look like."

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 10:44 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I hope someone was sitting by him in the pressbox for the past 4 games pointing at Steen and saying "That, is what you need to look like."
Indeed. Steen has come a long way since his arrival from Toronto. I'd be thrilled if MPS turned into a faster Steen. (Without the slapper of course. Steen's slapper is well above average.)

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Indeed. Steen has come a long way since his arrival from Toronto. I'd be thrilled if MPS turned into a faster Steen. (Without the slapper of course. Steen's slapper is well above average.)
Steen has always been smart hockey player, who needed to boost his technical skill with hard work. MPS has never shown the same mental understanding of the game. Sure coaching will help MPS, but Steen is a rare player. His hockey IQ is top notch and not just because of his veteran status.

That doesn't mean MPS cannot become as high a quality as Steen, but it will be much more dependent on skill than on hockey sense. They really are not comparable players IMO, unless you are vaguely speaking about anticipated trajectory.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

It is true, he could become a faster, bigger version of Steen.

He is 22, so it's soon time to show some more promise though. When I say that, I'm not expecting big points from him just for him to prove himself of a roster spot.

10-18-2013, 12:00 AM
SIU LAW

Just curious, if push comes to shove, can go Pajarvi to the AHL without being exposed to waivers?

SIU LAW is offline   Reply With Quote