HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What to do with Yashin

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 08:43 AM
southwing

vCash: 500
What to do with Yashin

I'm sure many NYI fans are drooling at the thought of unloading Yashin but are not sure that the club will be willing to eat a buyout at $28 million or whatever it is, to do it. And there is only this one "cap free" opportunity to do it.

So ... I'd suggest that the Isles keep Yashin and take him to arbitration as soon as they possibly can. Although arbitration is a crap shoot, I cannot fathom an aribtrator saying that Alexei is worth what he is paid. Then with a cut back salary they may be able to afford him or move him in a trade. In the new NHL Yashin at $3-4 million may be tolerable. MAY be tolerable!

And this thought ... there are not as many clear buy out situations as I first thought. After Yashin, Nolan, Gueren, Holik, Turgeon and Hatcher it drops off pretty quick to a number of players in the $2 m. range near the end of their contracts that may are may not be worth buying out.

southwing

Old
07-14-2005, 08:49 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

short term pain for long term gain...buy him out.

Doubt it will happen, thats a huge cheque to write.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:53 AM
barnburner

I don't know how many years Yashin has left on his contract, but, It's my understanding that he cannot be taken to arbitration until his contract expires.

I'd dump him. Players that refuse to honor their contracts should be shafted at every opportunity.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:56 AM
southwing

The new arbitration model is said to be baseball style with the team able to take the player to arbitration if he underperforms.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Isn't it entirely possible that Alexei may want to play out the rest of his career in Russia? Seems to me like his preferred choice may be to stay with Ak-Bars or whomever it was that he played with this year. IMO, buy him out and let him go back home.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:04 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwing
The new arbitration model is said to be baseball style with the team able to take the player to arbitration if he underperforms.
Not while he still has a contract. Arbitration is only for players with expired contracts, think the Ducks taking Paul Kariya to arbitration two years ago, instead of letting him walk because they didn't want to qualify him at $10 million they take him to arbitration, and likely would have gotten kariya for something in the $5-6 million range.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
I don't know how many years Yashin has left on his contract, but, It's my understanding that he cannot be taken to arbitration until his contract expires.

I'd dump him. Players that refuse to honor their contracts should be shafted at every opportunity.
Getting a check for 28 million with your name on it is hardly "getting the shaft".

Old
07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
ti-vite

Buyouts can be done 2 ways: lump sum, or spread out over twice the length of the remaining contract. However, the player decides which option.

If the Isles can convince Yash to accept the second option (over twice contract length), I think it works out to something like 2M$ per year.

Pay 2M$ for 10 years to free up some cap space now...may be an option

Old
07-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Strazzobosco

Don't buyouts count against the cap? The Isles can't buy him out then; $28M would eat up their budget for the whole team this year, causing them to have to deal everyone off just to stay under the cap. I don't think they have the choice; they have to keep him.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
If it were me, I'd never accept that. The interest I could make on $20 million now would far outweigh $2 million each year for a decade.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
sunb

Signing Yashin to a 10 year 90 million dollar deal may be Mike Milbury's dumbest move ever. And that is saying a lot since he has squandered Bertuzzi, Spezza, Chara, Heatley, Luongo et al.

If I were him however, I'd try Yashin for one more year. He still has it in him to put up 75+ points annually and play some dominant hockey. I'd rather pay Yashin 7.4 mils to do that rather than buying him out and paying 5 mils for another replacement #1 center.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Tekneek

There is every reason to expect Yashin to return to form. Those odds are greater than him having another below average (for him) season. His stats from Ottawa are very strong. He deserves another chance based on his statistical record alone.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
ti-vite

Lump sum and annualised payments are equivalent via prime rate. Same amount of money, different time spans. So Yashin can extend his payments for 10 yera, then go sign another contract with another team...

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/exhibit1.html

If the Club elects to terminate this Contract pursuant to this Section 13, it shall be obligated to pay to the Player, in equal monthly installments, beginning on the October 1st next following the date on which the termination is effective, at a minimum annual amount (if owed) of no less than $50,000, to be paid in full during a period of twice the remaining years of the contract, including the option year:

if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or

if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player's league salary, as set forth in Section 1, for the unexpired fixed-term and option year of this Contract, reduced by any advance payment of salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.

The Player may, within 10 days after the receipt of the notice of termination, elect in writing to be paid a lump sum equal to the present value of the amount payable pursuant the subsection (d) above on the date of termination in lieu of receiving monthly installments. Written notice of such election shall be delivered to the Club or mailed by registered mail within the said 10-day period at its address set forth below. The present value of the amount payable pursuant to subsection (d) shall be computed on the basis of an interest rate equal to the prime rate of interest of the Chase Manhattan Bank, New York City, on the date of termination.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
Isn't it entirely possible that Alexei may want to play out the rest of his career in Russia? Seems to me like his preferred choice may be to stay with Ak-Bars or whomever it was that he played with this year. IMO, buy him out and let him go back home.
If he really wanted to go home (the Isles wet dream), why waste the dough buying him out? Just let him walk. The lockout has dulled your hockey wit RM, it's probably better that you not venture too far from the Politics board

Old
07-14-2005, 11:16 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

I wonder if Yashin would consider re-negotiating after playing 1 year in order to allow the team to improve?

I wonder if the team would let him do a mini-Lemieux.

Either option seems better than a buyout.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:21 AM
SENSational

If I were the isles Id keep him for 1 more year. His first year in NY wasnt bad at all. 32g 43a 75 pts. He was pretty damn impressive in his last 2 seasons here with the sens. Will he ever get 94 points ever again? Highly doubt it, but I say let the man try.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
If he really wanted to go home (the Isles wet dream), why waste the dough buying him out? Just let him walk. The lockout has dulled your hockey wit RM, it's probably better that you not venture too far from the Politics board
Why I oughta ...

*click*

Permanently delete habfan4 from HF Boards? Yes No

Yes

Permission denied.

What? Permission denied? What the hell?

Wally! The Boards won't let me permanently delete habfan4. What's up wit dat?

Old
07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
Wally! The Boards won't let me permanently delete habfan4. What's up wit dat?
Cool, I can't be killed - Even if it were possible to whack me, two new habfans would pop up to take my place.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
Signing Yashin to a 10 year 90 million dollar deal may be Mike Milbury's dumbest move ever. And that is saying a lot since he has squandered Bertuzzi, Spezza, Chara, Heatley, Luongo et al.
As much as I hate to defend Milbury, the 10 year deal was the idea of owner Charles Wang and not Milbury, who was aiming for a 5 or 6 year deal.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Not while he still has a contract. Arbitration is only for players with expired contracts, think the Ducks taking Paul Kariya to arbitration two years ago, instead of letting him walk because they didn't want to qualify him at $10 million they take him to arbitration, and likely would have gotten kariya for something in the $5-6 million range.
I'm not sure that's exactly how it will work, it remains to be seen. we'll have to see when the deadline is for teams to decide to take a player to arbitration.
If they have to qualify the player on July 1st, but can't take him to arb until after that, then the player will just sign his qualifier and that will be that.

From how I saw it described on TV the team arbitration clause was put in to help teams avoid dealing with player holdouts, but it'll depend on the timing. I guess we'll see when the CBA come out.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:58 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
Buyouts can be done 2 ways: lump sum, or spread out over twice the length of the remaining contract. However, the player decides which option.

If the Isles can convince Yash to accept the second option (over twice contract length), I think it works out to something like 2M$ per year.

The lump sum payment wouldn't be $28M. It would be the Present Day Value of the $28M paid out over 2x the remaining life of the contract (10 yrs).

From the SPC:

Quote:
d. If the Club elects to terminate this Contract pursuant to this Section 13, it shall be obligated to pay to the Player, in equal monthly installments, beginning on the October 1st next following the date on which the termination is effective, at a minimum annual amount (if owed) of no less than $50,000, to be paid in full during a period of twice the remaining years of the contract, including the option year:

i. if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or

ii. if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player's league salary, as set forth in Section 1, for the unexpired fixed-term and option year of this Contract, reduced by any advance payment of salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.

e. The Player may, within 10 days after the receipt of the notice of termination, elect in writing to be paid a lump sum equal to the present value of the amount payable pursuant the subsection (d) above on the date of termination in lieu of receiving monthly installments. Written notice of such election shall be delivered to the Club or mailed by registered mail within the said 10-day period at its address set forth below. The present value of the amount payable pursuant to subsection (d) shall be computed on the basis of an interest rate equal to the prime rate of interest of the Chase Manhattan Bank, New York City, on the date of termination.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru123
Don't buyouts count against the cap? The Isles can't buy him out then; $28M would eat up their budget for the whole team this year, causing them to have to deal everyone off just to stay under the cap. I don't think they have the choice; they have to keep him.
No. There will be a one time window where current contracts can be bought out and not count against the cap.

After this, and for all future contracts, buyouts will count against the cap, probably prorated over the life of the buyout period (2x the remaining contract length if similar to the old CBA).

Old
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnziggywidit
I wonder if Yashin would consider re-negotiating after playing 1 year in order to allow the team to improve?

I wonder if the team would let him do a mini-Lemieux.

Either option seems better than a buyout.
Rumor has it that existing contracts will not be allowed to be restructured.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
RLC

Well well, 28 million just to buy him out ?
I think the Isles should do to Yashin what Yashin did to the NHL.
If you can't take him to forced arbitration then for 28 million I say the Isles refuse to pay and let Yashim take them to court. The nhl can say 699 NHLPA palyers have accepted the new arbitration rules so what's Yashin's problem. The Isles did not take Yashin to arbitration during to old CBA but it's the new CBA now.

to hell with Yashin and the damage he did.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:24 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
Well well, 28 million just to buy him out ?
I think the Isles should do to Yashin what Yashin did to the NHL.
If you can't take him to forced arbitration then for 28 million I say the Isles refuse to pay and let Yashim take them to court. The nhl can say 699 NHLPA palyers have accepted the new arbitration rules so what's Yashin's problem. The Isles did not take Yashin to arbitration during to old CBA but it's the new CBA now.

to hell with Yashin and the damage he did.
What damage did Yashin do? The ownership/Milbury gave him the contract, he didnt give it to himself.

Closed Thread