HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

Post your bets and arguments for and against..

Thread Version 1.0

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=911940

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 10-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
10-01-2013, 11:11 AM
JustJim

The one who should be fired is.......,

Holmgren!
Fire him NOW!!!

Old
10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
if Lavi goes Holmgren should go as well.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Unless this team is catastrophically bad, I think he'll finish up his contract.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Flyerfan4life

10 games..

Flyers go 2-7-1

Old
10-01-2013, 12:05 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Within 20 games. New coach comes in and the team rebounds and plays successfully.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
SuchySays

he'll be gone by game 25. but who will replace him?

Old
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
he'll be gone by game 25. but who will replace him?
This question wouldn't be as difficult if they fired him this past offseason..there were some good coaching candidates looking for work that had been let go by their teams. I won't be surprised if one of them wins coach of the year..because that is how it has gone for the Flyers...

Old
10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm with Flyerfan4Life on this. Laviolette is on a short leash this year. If they start out the gate slow and look terrible, he might get the Hitchcock treatment. If they go 1-6-1 like they did under Clarke and Hitch, Laviolette and Holmgren are probably both gone.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

I think they give to Christmas though I think he should be on a shorter leash.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Between mid-October and Thanksgiving.

From the NJ series through this preseason has been the same streak of uninspired, unmotivated play from the team. Lavi clearly doesn't have the answers and has apparently been asked to alter his style to something he can't quite understand. It takes him an ungodly amount of time to fix simple things you would expect a coach to address quickly. The team isn't implementing his system like they should, they apparently don't know how, Lavi apparently doesn't know how to get them to, and the roster isn't all that suited for it anyways; not like they were when he arrived.

It all adds up to him getting canned quickly, IMO.

It doesn't help that the team has a few projects/developing guys and Lavi has shown to be a poor fit for them. *cough* Couturier...

10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think they give to Christmas though I think he should be on a shorter leash.
I'm thinking the same....while I think the Flyers will struggle out of the gate..I'm thinking they will stem the slow start enough and just play mediocre hockey (.500) for the better part of 20 games..enough to prolong the agony and debate about getting rid of him. Then I think the Flyers will go into a winless streak and he'll get canned. Holmgren might "step down" along with him so yeah it could be a Hitch and Clarke repeat but maybe take a bit longer..

Old
10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Between mid-October and Thanksgiving.

From the NJ series through this preseason has been the same streak of uninspired, unmotivated play from the team. Lavi clearly doesn't have the answers and has apparently been asked to alter his style to something he can't quite understand. It takes him an ungodly amount of time to fix simple things you would expect a coach to address quickly. The team isn't implementing his system like they should, they apparently don't know how, Lavi apparently doesn't know how to get them to, and the roster isn't all that suited for it anyways; not like they were when he arrived.

It all adds up to him getting canned quickly, IMO.

It doesn't help that the team has a few projects/developing guys and Lavi has shown to be a poor fit for them. *cough* Couturier...
Agree, except I'm calling after the Holidays for the firing

That he would mention the lack of "urgency" in his own players performance is horrible Obvious he's lost the "room" ..... happens

WHY is there an offensive minded coach here and a defensive minded coach at the AHL level ..... never has made sense to me.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:17 PM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Mid November

Old
10-01-2013, 01:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Vegas odds have him as the likely candidate as 1st coach gone.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Maybe it's just me but I was reading an article where they were interviewing Lecavalier ....he sounded kind of lukewarm about Lavi and the system from what I could infer. I know Meltzer said that Lecavalier wasn't exactly the type of player that was suited for Laviolette's style and initially I wasn't sure why he said it but after watching some of the preseason I could see he was having trouble adapting.....

Again I just saw too many bad omens in the preseason even if it was preseason with some new players trying to learn the system. One thing for sure is that his systems requires lots of discipline along with motivation to play so intensely and typically it does take his teams a while to get it together and into the flow hence the slow starts to games and fits and starts in the win column during the season. This time though he really should have little room for error b/c this conference is much more competitive and we absolutely can't afford slow starts or inconsistent play...

Old
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Maybe it's just me but I was reading an article where they were interviewing Lecavalier ....he sounded kind of lukewarm about Lavi and the system from what I could infer. I know Meltzer said that Lecavalier wasn't exactly the type of player that was suited for Laviolette's style and initially I wasn't sure why he said it but after watching some of the preseason I could see he was having trouble adapting.....

Again I just saw too many bad omens in the preseason even if it was preseason with some new players trying to learn the system. One thing for sure is that his systems requires lots of discipline along with motivation to play so intensely and typically it does take his teams a while to get it together and into the flow hence the slow starts to games and fits and starts in the win column during the season. This time though he really should have little room for error b/c this conference is much more competitive and we absolutely can't afford slow starts or inconsistent play...
What? Quite the Opposite. I think one of the main reasons he signed here is because of the system. Hes coming from playing in the dreaded 1-3-1 to playing an all out offensive game.

Quote:
Lecavalier's numbers may have been down the last four years, but a lot of that can be credited to the system he played in while with the Lightning the last three years. He likes the up-tempo game head coach Peter Laviolette runs.

"It's really up-beat, I really like that," Lecavalier said. "I want to be on my toes when I play the game, I don't want to be on my heels. Honestly, a smart defensive game is really important. I think he has that as a coach, he's a very smart coach. But when you get that puck, you wanna go, you want to skate, you wanna play in their zone. From playing against [Laviolette] here in Philly and in Carolina, I thought it was a really, really tough team to play against. That's why I want to be a part of it."

Old
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
bennysflyers16

I picked other as I think it will be end of October if it happens.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
What? Quite the Opposite. I think one of the main reasons he signed here is because of the system. Hes coming from playing in the dreaded 1-3-1 to playing an all out offensive game.
That's what I thought but again I'm just citing what Meltzer said and what I saw..also that quote was when they got him right? Not after he had played b/c his tone sounded a bit more lukewarm..

Old
10-01-2013, 03:39 PM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
That's what I thought but again I'm just citing what Meltzer said and what I saw..also that quote was when they got him right? Not after he had played b/c his tone sounded a bit more lukewarm..
I got that same impression. Really hasn't sounded enthused like a player buying into a system would.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
MASE THE ACE

nov 15.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I got that same impression. Really hasn't sounded enthused like a player buying into a system would.
I posted this in the Hextall as GM thread...I just saw it today. I'm not enthused by the GM already having to motivate Lavi's players. Shouldn't be his job and he's had to do interventions far too much for a GM..first with Stevens and it has continued with Lavi

Quote:
We weren't a playoff team last year. Then to have a preseason like we had, it bothers me," Holmgren said. "I've addressed a couple individuals. In the last couple days, I think the players that we have realized it and picked it up a couple notches in practice."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...oad_ahead.html

Old
10-01-2013, 04:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Vegas odds have him as the likely candidate as 1st coach gone.
Yup...the omens continue and certainly the Philly press won't make it any easier as Bryz will attest..

Really it's not that surprising...

Quote:
In case you were wondering, Philadelphia’s longest-tenured coach is Vegas’ odds-on favorite to be the first NHL coach fired this season.

Flyers chairman Ed Snider said last month that Peter Laviolette is not on the hot seat, but the team’s history firing coaches, coupled with a shaky preseason, has the public thinking otherwise.

“Last year was an anomaly,” Snider said on Sept. 13. “He’s been a very good coach for us. He’s been a good coach in this league and we’re just thrilled to have him.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...rst-fired.html

Old
10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

When/if he gets fired who is going to replace him?

Old
10-01-2013, 08:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
When/if he gets fired who is going to replace him?
I would have to imagine it will be either Terry Murray or Craig Berube.

Closed Thread