HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

fergy's next move?

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 02:24 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
fergy's next move?

what will it be?

trading belak for a pick seems to be on some ppl's minds in here.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i'll say marc moro for a 5th rounder (edm.)

Old
09-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Transplanted Caper

With the emergence of Nathon Perrot and the lack of room on D with the addition of Klee and the emergence of the youngsters. I would say a Belak trade is a good possibility

Old
09-28-2003, 02:59 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
what will it be?

I think the Leafs aren't done quite yet with the trades but Belak I don't think will be one of the players shipped out of Toronto...at least I hope not....I like him as the team's enforcer cause he took on all comers last season........

The thing to remember here as well if you want to be able to pickup a quality player from someone else's team then we have to be prepared to give up someone that's a good quality player that someone else would love to have.........we can't say stuff like; "Lets get rid of Tom Fitzgerald cause he plays on our 4th line"...plenty of teams out there already have 4th line players.......

The two names that keep popping up are the ones that we've mentioned inside this Forum a gazillion times already and they being Darcy Tucker; the Oilers seem to be the front runners here for Tucker IMO....and dare I say the "A" word and we know who I'm referring to here...and you can also throw in one or two of our better young prospects in the equation as well and maybe even a high draft pick.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Mizral

I think the Leafs may lose a couple guys on waivers.

However, the next move won't come for a while I don't think. Either an injury replacement, or a mid-season huge move to shake things up.

However, if Belfour shows any signs of aging, I wouldn't be surprised for Ferguson to pick up a much better backup than Kidd.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:08 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Honestly, I see something happening via the trade route at the waiver draft. There are players who deserve to be in the NHL now who will be in the minors, because of the #'s. Wouldn't at all surprise me to see if some veterans (Green, Fitzy, Reichel is a given) exposed in the draft so the youngens (Stajan, Holden, Poni) can rotate in and out of the pro roster.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i figure, trade moro, the blueline on the rock could get crowded.
do we really need him?

i want to see belak stay, unless they like perrott enough to take his place.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Epoch

Quote:
i figure, trade moro, the blueline on the rock could get crowded.
do we really need him?

i want to see belak stay, unless they like perrott enough to take his place.
Perrott is a nice upgrade over Belak,so I guess they can put Belak on waivers then.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

theyre gonna have to cut down on the penalties
we lead the league last yr in penalty minutes,
and this team looks nastier then last yrs

Old
09-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Epoch

Quote:
we lead the league last yr in penalty minutes,
and this team looks nastier then last yrs
No we didn't. I'm pretty sure Columbus and St. Louis were ahead of us in PIMs.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:41 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
I couldn't agree more.With the way Quinn yaps at the refs they just look for reasons to penalize the leafs.I honestly dont blame them,it must get tiring having to listen to his endless barage.The players dont help with their yapping either.Things that would be overlooked in many cases are called on the leafs and they have only themselves to blame.Discipline is sorely lacking and its an area that desperately needs to be addressed.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:41 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

oh, the radio guy got it wrong then.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:24 PM
wasting time

I think JF's next move is going to involve preparation for the waiver draft.

They have too many centers - I would look there.

Not that these are my preferences, but some of the easy trades may include:

* Green for a winger prospect or pick (4th round?)
* Belak for a pick (6th round?)
* Fitzgerald for a pick (7th round?)
* Kidd for a pick (9th round- not likely?)

These sorts of trades trim the roster for the draft and prevent losing too much.

After this I am looking for perhaps a winger pick up from waivers for the Rock.

Then a major trade for a defenseman in the late fall.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
I think JF's next move is going to involve preparation for the waiver draft.

They have too many centers - I would look there.

Not that these are my preferences, but some of the easy trades may include:

* Green for a winger prospect or pick (4th round?)
* Belak for a pick (6th round?)
* Fitzgerald for a pick (7th round?)
* Kidd for a pick (9th round- not likely?)

These sorts of trades trim the roster for the draft and prevent losing too much.
Hopefully your right in Green's case.He makes 1.6 million....too much for your 4th line LW.It gives JFJ some more wiggle room if Green gets claimed or dealt in a trade.I wouldn't be against Belak being gone either.Leafs would take a reduction in penalties with both of them gone.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
what will it be?

Who possibly would give a draft pick for that complete waste of Skin..

Quinn took him off the waiver wire scrap heap for $100 and I feel he overpaid..

I hope he is selected in the Waiver draft ....

Ferguson can't perform Miracles and so getting anything for Belak is going to be impossible...

Old
09-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

I think some solid guesses would be that JFJ first trade may be with his old team St. Louis... He knows the young guys well and may take a young prospect off of their list...

Toronto really needs to start taking strides in a direction to get younger and If I where Fergy I would be looking for younger players that have not developed yet, but have good upside...an example and a feeling I have is someone like Tim Connelly of Buffalo... a player that may develop with a change of scenery..

I still believe that Berg combined with Tucker and a prospect/pick may land us a top 4 dman...and Zhitnik always comes to mind..

Washington lost a lot of Defense this off Season and a player like Berg and possibly a young dman say Hedin for a player like Steve Konowalchuk might be possible....

I think Green, Fitzy, Reichel, Belak, Berg, Kidd are expendable but would be hard to trade, as they all make TOO much money for 4th liners on the Leafs..

I feel Florida has a glut of young forwards and may want some Veteran presence particularly if Horton and Stewart make the team..A young player like Kristian Huselius who is not a Keenan favourite might make a great Winger for Mats to groom..or Ivan Novoseltsev has a lot of offensive upside and may be made available..

I get the Feeling that Poni boy will be traded to Chicago along with a (berg/green or prospect) for a dman like Klemm...

I could see a deal like Tucker in a package to Edmonton for some young players like Jani Rita and Jarrett Stoll..

Old
09-28-2003, 07:56 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I think some solid guesses would be that JFJ first trade may be with his old team St. Louis... He knows the young guys well and may take a young prospect off of their list...

Toronto really needs to start taking strides in a direction to get younger and If I where Fergy I would be looking for younger players that have not developed yet, but have good upside...an example and a feeling I have is someone like Tim Connelly of Buffalo... a player that may develop with a change of scenery..

I still believe that Berg combined with Tucker and a prospect/pick may land us a top 4 dman...and Zhitnik always comes to mind..

Washington lost a lot of Defense this off Season and a player like Berg and possibly a young dman say Hedin for a player like Steve Konowalchuk might be possible....

I think Green, Fitzy, Reichel, Belak, Berg, Kidd are expendable but would be hard to trade, as they all make TOO much money for 4th liners on the Leafs..

I feel Florida has a glut of young forwards and may want some Veteran presence particularly if Horton and Stewart make the team..A young player like Kristian Huselius who is not a Keenan favourite might make a great Winger for Mats to groom..or Ivan Novoseltsev has a lot of offensive upside and may be made available..

I get the Feeling that Poni boy will be traded to Chicago along with a (berg/green or prospect) for a dman like Klemm...

I could see a deal like Tucker in a package to Edmonton for some young players like Jani Rita and Jarrett Stoll..
None of those deals really sends shivers up-and-down my spine...not exactly the type of players that Toronto really needs at the moment, any of them...we need some Top-of-the-line help on our blueline...a bonafide #1 Stud back there which we haven't had since the days of Borje Salming.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
None of those deals really sends shivers up-and-down my spine...not exactly the type of players that Toronto really needs at the moment, any of them...we need some Top-of-the-line help on our blueline...a bonafide #1 Stud back there which we haven't had since the days of Borje Salming.
Yes but Rome wasn't built in a day...

#1 dmen are not readily available and LEAFS DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES to acquire them any way even if someone was offering..

and the post was Fergy's moves...you honestly believe that Fergy's first trade will land a bona fide #1 dman... GOOD LUCK with that...

Old
09-28-2003, 09:13 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:

#1 dmen are not readily available and LEAFS DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES to acquire them any way even if someone was offering..

and the post was Fergy's moves...you honestly believe that Fergy's first trade will land a bona fide #1 dman... GOOD LUCK with that...
Yes, I think a guy like Sergei Gonchar could be had for the right price.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:18 PM
ArtVandelei

Quote:

Since at this point in time, that's the ONLY thing we lack, I'd say it's quite possible. I certainly don't see why he'd trade guys he could use to aquire that #1 dman for the likes of Stoll, kono or connely.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Yes, I think a guy like Sergei Gonchar could be had for the right price.
What price Antro and Carlo... and other than offense Gonchar would be hard pressed to be put in the same category as Lidstrom or Blake...

Leafs need a rock on Defense similar to Adam Foote... Scoring is not going to be the problem , keeping the puck out of the net is... and Kaberle can do what Gonchar does except he doesn't shoot the puck..

Darian Hatcher would have been a great fit but Quinn had his head up his ass and locked up a retired player in Svehla and handy capped the Leafs from fixing its problem, and pressing need...

Old
09-28-2003, 09:28 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
What price Antro and Carlo... and other than offense Gonchar would be hard pressed to be put in the same category as Lidstrom or Blake...

Leafs need a rock on Defense similar to Adam Foote... Scoring is not going to be the problem , keeping the puck out of the net is... and Kaberle can do what Gonchar does except he doesn't shoot the puck..

Darian Hatcher would have been a great fit but Quinn had his head up his ass and locked up a retired player in Svehla and handy capped the Leafs from fixing its problem, and pressing need...
I never put Gonchar in the same category as Blake or Lidstrom....don't know where you came up with that.....also Gonchar doesn't shoot the puck?.........that's funny, he's only been among the League leaders in goal scoring by NHL defencemen...He would be a much welcomed addition to Toronto's powerplay I think.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
Since at this point in time, that's the ONLY thing we lack, I'd say it's quite possible. I certainly don't see why he'd trade guys he could use to aquire that #1 dman for the likes of Stoll, kono or connely.
He can't trade the Greens and Reichel for that player.. He would have to part with Kaberle and or Antropov to get a guy like Brewer.. or even worse part with more of the Future in a player like Steen or Carlo for immediate help... How do we know that Carlo is not that #1 we need down the road??

Spare change is not going to get it done and a #1 dman is not the only thing we need.. we have to start thinking of the future and start adding some players that will be around after the year is out..

Don't forget this is not about what we need or want but what will Fergy do via trade...

Old
09-28-2003, 09:30 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
He can't trade the Greens and Reichel for that player.. He would have to part with Kaberle and or Antropov to get a guy like Brewer.. or even worse part with more of the Future in a player like Steen or Carlo for immediate help... How do we know that Carlo is not that #1 we need down the road??

Spare change is not going to get it done and a #1 dman is not the only thing we need.. we have to start thinking of the future and start adding some players that will be around after the year is out..

Don't forget this is not about what we need or want but what will Fergy do via trade...
NO NIK FOR YOU!

Old
09-28-2003, 09:34 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:

There's no way Hatcher was coming to the Leafs...Hatcher was only using the Leafs as leverage in trying to get the best possible deal out of Detroit...Hatcher hails from the Detroit area and has always wanted to play for the Red Wings....nice try though.

Closed Thread