HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Smokey Thompson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
people like you need to wise up and learn the meaning of the word steal. Price was good when tested but the play was pretty even, Habs had the edge in chances and Price went almost an entire period without a dangerous shot.

If that's a steal then there are half a dozen steals every night.

Let's call this what it is, a strong but long overdue outing by Price.
The Habs could've easily been down 2-0 or 3-0 in the first. Price came up big despite being left out to dry by his defense. And he continued his stellar play all game until we won.

Whether you call it stealing the game, or simply giving his team a chance to win, Price played a great game. And all signs point to him continuing this play through the season.

But even then, it'll just be a strong but long overdue season by Price right?

Old
10-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 2154
Vancouver had 31 shots halfway through the game and the score was 2-1 Montreal. Sounds pretty even to me.

Carey Price played like a man among boys and had 3-4, 10 bell saves in the first 2 periods. I really cannot see how anyone can criticize his game this season, he's been spectacular.

2.27 GA .929 SV% - Don't like how a shot going 4 feet wide and 5 feet off the ground was deflected back between his legs, therefore he's a horrible goaltender.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:08 AM
MTLSandman*

Quote:
people like you need to wise up and learn the meaning of the word steal. Price was good when tested but the play was pretty even, Habs had the edge in chances and Price went almost an entire period without a dangerous shot.

If that's a steal then there are half a dozen steals every night.

Let's call this what it is, a strong but long overdue outing by Price.
Lmao, I guess he would have needed it to be a 1-0 shutout with over 35 shots then? In that case there are only like 2-3 steals in the entire nhl all season!

If you remembered correctly there were two very weak goals on bobby Lu. Ones we should have never gotten. Whereas Canucks had multiple incredible high scoring chances where Price just shut the door.

He STOLE this game. Take off your incredibly thick Carey hate goggles because by reading that post of yours you just sound like the most pessimistic person alive. Don't go near any bridges for the next few days... Alright?

Old
10-13-2013, 11:09 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Price played a great game. Really pleased with his play. If we can get this kind of play in the playoffs we will contend this year.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
For the past two years before this season here were some of my beefs with Price:

-Would overdo his lateral movements and end up completely out of place leaving the net wide open. He would end up flopping around in his net in a manner that wasn't any kind of goalie technique known to man.
-Didn't really feel like he was actually trying at times
-Was extremely weak glove and blocker side. If the situation required any type of reflex movement from his arms it was a 1 out of 10 situation
-Would seldom come up with big saves. At least not a rate that satisfied me.

So far this season, I've seen big improvements in all these areas.

I'm positively impressed with his start to the season. With Galchenyuk, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher already leading the habs, if Price can finally play up to his talent level things will be interesting.

PS : I've said it time and time again. A good PK starts with a good goalie. That sentence found its meaning perfectly yesterday.
Agreed. Let's see what Waite does to keep him out of lengthy funks over an 82 game season. But there are signs of some extra effort in Carey's game, I guess the message to him was pretty clear.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:11 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLSandman View Post
Lmao, I guess he would have needed it to be a 1-0 shutout with over 35 shots then? In that case there are only like 2-3 steals in the entire nhl all season!

If you remembered correctly there were two very weak goals on bobby Lu. Ones we should have never gotten. Whereas Canucks had multiple incredible high scoring chances where Price just shut the door.

He STOLE this game. Take off your incredibly thick Carey hate goggles because by reading that post of yours you just sound like the most pessimistic person alive. Don't go near any bridges for the next few days... Alright?
I don't think Price stole the game, but who cares? He played great!

Old
10-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Agreed. Let's see what Waite does to keep him out of lengthy funks over an 82 game season. But there are signs of some extra effort in Carey's game, I guess the message to him was pretty clear.
He's tracking the puck a lot better with the different approach of battling through the crowds instead of leaning up and looking over people. Also the new compact style is increasing his foot speed with kicking out the pads and eliminating those squeakers through the body he's been struggling with over the past couple of years.

Stephane Waite deserves a lot of credit, he's a very good goalie coach.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
habsfanatics*

I wouldn't call it a steal either, I mean in order to lose he would have had to give up 5 goals. He played great though.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

maybe not a steal, but he was MVP by large margin

Old
10-13-2013, 11:23 AM
CP31

I think he stole the game because of how many times he saved the team in periods 1 and 2.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
The EGG Line

Price always plays at his best when he gets a lot of shots against him. He was amazing last night.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad

I'd say Price stole this one. And judging by the post game thread and Three Star selection I'd say that I'm right.

Our D was terribad in the first and 2nd and we dominated play in the third. All and all, sweet win that we didn't deserve and probably Price's best performance of the year. Bring on the Jets.
Don't know about "stole", and not to mess with your system, but I think it's more than fair to put "Price: great" since he ended up the game's 1st star and, well, was great, lol.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Habsawce

What is with this notion that the game has to be 1-0, 2-1 to be considered stealing a game. If Price doesn't make those 10 bell saves in the first 2 periods it's 4-1 Vancouver and Montreal is chasing the game.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
What is with this notion that the game has to be 1-0, 2-1 to be considered stealing a game. If Price doesn't make those 10 bell saves in the first 2 periods it's 4-1 Vancouver and Montreal is chasing the game.
I think there has to be an element that the other goalie actually played well enough to win, or that a goalie backstops their team to a comeback. Habs never trailed (could argue, of course, that they should have, and that's totally valid), and after that fluke goal, I don't think Vancouver really threatened to take the game away from Montreal. Heck, we outshot them 18-9 in the 3rd period and got two insurance goals...

Old
10-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Vintage Agnostic

So since he had an easy 3rd, you completely neglect the fact that he stopped something like 29 shots after 2?
It's funny because Agnostic then turns around and defends Halak's 13 save shutouts and claims that they are exclusively the result of his individual performance.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think there has to be an element that the other goalie actually played well enough to win, or that a goalie backstops their team to a comeback. Habs never trailed (could argue, of course, that they should have, and that's totally valid), and after that fluke goal, I don't think Vancouver really threatened to take the game away from Montreal. Heck, we outshot them 18-9 in the 3rd period and got two insurance goals...
A goaltender can win or lose a game at any point in the game, whether that's the first period, second or third. Carey Price stole this game in the first 30 minutes, the team was flat and chasing the puck through that time.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's funny because Agnostic then turns around and defends Halak's 13 save shutouts and claims that they are exclusively the result of his individual performance.
So Vintage Andy, no pertinent or useful information so he makes stuff up.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Andy

Quote:
So Vintage Andy, no pertinent or useful information so he makes stuff up.
If I wasn't lazy + busy right now I'd dig up the posts. When I have time I will do so, even though I don't need to given the reputation you've created for yourself already.

Last edited by Andy: 10-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
10-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
A goaltender can win or lose a game at any point in the game, whether that's the first period, second or third. Carey Price stole this game in the first 30 minutes, the team was flat and chasing the puck through that time.
Well at least the debate today is whether goaltending purloin occurred, a temporary cease fire in the war.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Price had a good game last night, no doubt about it. We need more of these performances.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:28 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLSandman View Post

Agreed, he was incredible.

He was also very good against the Flyers.

Was average against the Leafs and Calgary.

All in all, it is a very good start for Price.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Don't know about "stole", and not to mess with your system, but I think it's more than fair to put "Price: great" since he ended up the game's 1st star and, well, was great, lol.
I'm not going to add "steals" into this anymore than I'll add "fault" when he screws up. I'm also not going to add superlatives like "Excellent" or "Horrific"... I'm just going to stick with "good" and "bad" as that covers everything. I might add "mediocre" in there too if its not good or bad.

As for last night, yeah I'd say he stole us the game. We should've been blown out after two periods and Price won us that game. People can spend the next five pages arguing about this but that's how I see it. We had no business winning that game last night.

I think Habfantatic is adding superlatives though...

Old
10-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If I wasn't lazy + busy right now I'd dig up the posts. When I have time I will do so, even though I don't need to given the reputation you've created for yourself already.
You can search all day, and you won't find anyone attributing the result of any game "exclusively" to any one player. I told you multiple times last night that hyperbole like that does nothing but hurt your argument and contribute to the reputation you've created for yourself, as well.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:51 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Funny thing is that if you asked Price and Waite what he thought of the game they would probably respond that his reaction time and lateral movement especially with regards to rebound response was great. And they would also say his rebound control was extremely bad and he overplayed the goal.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Andy

Quote:
You can search all day, and you won't find anyone attributing the result of any game "exclusively" to any one player. I told you multiple times last night that hyperbole like that does nothing but hurt your argument and contribute to the reputation you've created for yourself, as well.
Ouu you've used the bold option. Good for you. You and agnostic have become a hilarious duo to read in this thread.

Closed Thread