HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Old
10-07-2013, 02:55 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 500
Well things can't get much worse. I just don't understand why this wasn't done sooner....like the end of last season.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:55 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Berube quotes from 97.3:

Regarding changes in pairings: "Tinkering with some stuff."

"I like our team and I like our leaders." "Stronger team defense. Team D has not been very good." "Need to be competitive every night." "The team needs to get some confidence." "I'm going to bring in my own style and my own changes."
You can't get blood from a stone and there's a lot of overpaid bad players on this defense. Obviously a change in strategy can take some pressure off the defense, but I'm not sure how that solves the biggest problem for this team for the past few years and that is effective scoring in 5 on 5 hockey.

I also don't really see how Berube is going to instill his system(does he even have a system?) that quickly since the season is already underway. The fact that you have an entire off-season to hire a new coach and then give your team a chance to learn a new system through training camp and pre-season, but instead hang onto your coach and fire him 3 games into the season is just so mind-boggingly stupid.

It's almost like the only reason Holmgren kept Lavy was because he was sort of a "get out of jail" card. Once Holmgren replaced Lavy the guy clearly in the crosshairs would be Holmgren. So Lavy is replaced during the season giving Holmgren an excuse for this year and a chance to do a coaching search for a long-term solution if Berube doesn't work out.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
You can't get blood from a stone and there's a lot of overpaid bad players on this defense. Obviously a change in strategy can take some pressure off the defense, but I'm not sure how that solves the biggest problem for this team for the past few years and that is effective scoring in 5 on 5 hockey.

I also don't really see how Berube is going to instill his system(does he even have a system?) that quickly since the season is already underway. The fact that you have an entire off-season to hire a new coach and then give your team a chance to learn a new system through training camp and pre-season, but instead hang onto your coach and fire him 3 games into the season is just so mind-boggingly stupid.

It's almost like the only reason Holmgren kept Lavy was because he was sort of a "get out of jail" card. Once Holmgren replaced Lavy the guy clearly in the crosshairs would be Holmgren. So Lavy is replaced during the season giving Holmgren an excuse for this year and a chance to do a coaching search for a long-term solution if Berube doesn't work out.

Flyers enter theater of the absurd by firing coach Peter Laviolette
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...xh4woTwdW48.99

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Lavi managed to implement his system mid-season. As I recall it took something like 1.5-2 months to really get going, and that was later into the season.

Interestingly, the issue back then was also generating offense. However, Lavi came into that situation with an offensive system. I'm not sure what happens now.

At least this time the players aren't out of shape...I hope.

10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been making the Al Davis comparison for about a year now. Not everyone likes hearing it.

Well, nobody LIKES hearing it. But some are more accepting than others.
There is a comparison to make but...

I read the other day the Raiders have over $50 million in "dead" money on their 2013 salary cap. I don't know the NFL salary cap too well but that sounds like a lot. Also, they haven't made the playoffs since 2002.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Can someone explain to me where the proof is that Snider is anything more than an owner (or what ever his title is)? He's not afraid to spend money and he wants to win. What's the problem? He's not Jerry Jones.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
SuchySays

yep. Snider is fine. he's a great owner.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Don't you know...that will just generate itself when you concentrate on D

Anyway...let's see what scheme they are able to concoct ....
You have to take care of you're own end first and foremost. Secondly improving defense means improving transition which definitely helps the offense.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
SgtJoseph

I wish Peter nothing but the best, he certainly made us all proud Flyers fans during that cup run in 2010, that alone was an awesome achievement and a really exciting time. What is sort of sad is our club could easily be 2 and 1 right now, but things for various reasons just did not go our way......Hopefully Lavy can get another club to coach in the near future and perhaps have a nice run like Andy Reid is currently enjoying.....Perhaps change will be good for the Flyers and for Lavy.I would like to see Barry Trotz take our club in the future, but i don't see Nashville parting ways with him for now ? .

SgtJoseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
You have to take care of you're own end first and foremost. Secondly improving defense means improving transition which definitely helps the offense.
Yes..all things being equal..but this roster needs some more creative playmakers. It's a hodge podge of I don't know what. Simplifying things should get some results but I'm not sure how transformative they will be. I really think the GM has no clue how to assemble a roster with any kind of continuity and identity.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Flyers enter theater of the absurd by firing coach Peter Laviolette
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...xh4woTwdW48.99
Dumb article. I guess they should have just kept everything the same and just hoped things get better when everything was telling them otherwise.

Homer explained it several times as to why they didn't fire Lavi in the offseason. They felt with all the other bs (short season, not camp, no time for practice mid season) that they owed Lavi a chance to redeem himself. Then they had a terrible camp, preseason and start to the regular season. If they just finished 0-3 but actually played well Lavi would not be fired, it was the way they lost combined with the total lack of energy and organization dating back to last season. It makes perfect sense to me.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:12 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Dumb article. I guess they should have just kept everything the same and just hoped things get better when everything was telling them otherwise.

Homer explained it several times as to why they didn't fire Lavi in the offseason. They felt with all the other bs (short season, not camp, no time for practice mid season) that they owed Lavi a chance to redeem himself. Then they had a terrible camp, preseason and start to the regular season. If they just finished 0-3 but actually played well Lavi would not be fired, it was the way they lost combined with the total lack of energy and organization dating back to last season. It makes perfect sense to me.
Yeah it wasn't the best article..the title though is appropriate. Things are reaching absurd levels with this club..way too much drama and mistake fixing.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Yes..all things being equal..but this roster needs some more creative playmakers. It's a hodge podge of I don't know what. Simplifying things should get some results but I'm not sure how transformative they will be. I really think the GM has no clue how to assemble a roster with any kind of continuity and culture.
Time will tell I guess but I think they at least make it to the first round of the playoffs. I don't see why this team can't compete. We all saw the way they can play and dominate actually (first period against Leafs). Problem is they all just decided to take the rest of the games off, I hoping it's cause they didn't believe in the system.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Yes..all things being equal..but this roster needs some more creative playmakers. It's a hodge podge of I don't know what. Simplifying things should get some results but I'm not sure how transformative they will be. I really think the GM has no clue how to assemble a roster with any kind of continuity and identity.
Voracek, Vinny and Giroux are all creative playmakers. That should be enough.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Voracek, Vinny and Giroux are all creative playmakers.
Read is good as well....Streit seems good on the PP. At least he gets his shot on net. I just think we need some more racehorses..particularly on the back end. However, we do need Couturier and Schenn to take that next step offensively..hopefully with Berube they do b/c with Lavi I think he was wrecking them.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Read is good as well....Streit seems good on the PP. At least he gets his shot on net. I just think we need some more racehorses..particularly on the back end. However, we do need Couturier and Schenn to take that next step offensively..hopefully with Berube they do b/c with Lavi I think he was wrecking them.
This is one of your more optimistic posts. Good to see.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:25 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Peter Laviolette fired by Flyers, taking fall for bad luck and worse management

Another perspective

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers fired Peter Laviolette on Monday after an 0-3-0 start and a 1-8-1 record overall if you include the preseason, replacing him with assistant coach Craig Berube. The Flyers missed the playoffs last season for the first time in his five-season tenure as head coach.

All of this proves two things in the National Hockey League: a coach is only as good as his goaltending and his team's health; and a vote of confidence in Philadelphia is a kiss of death.

The decline for the Flyers began with Chris Pronger’s career-ending injury in Oct. 2011, but the failure of Ilya Bryzgalov as a No. 1 netminder for the Flyers expedited it.

Chairman Ed Snider signed him to a 9-year, $51-million contract in 2011. He was an inconsistent head case, only winning a playoff series by not being as abjectly terrible as Marc-Andre Fleury. The Flyers’ heavy investment in him led GM Paul Holmgren to trade Sergei Bobrovsky – a goalie whose comparative mental stability led the Flyers to start him in the Winter Classic over Bryzgalov – and watched him blossom into a Vezina Trophy winner. The following season saw Bryzgalov post a 2.72 GAA and a .900 save percentage, the Flyers acquire Blue Jackets bust Steve Mason and then buy out Bryzgalov.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6410--nhl.html

Old
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
This is one of your more optimistic posts. Good to see.
I'm an optimistic realist....

Old
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post

Some of the players may be overpaid, but the players we have on defense are good (aside from Mez). They just didn't fit Lavy's system, which IMO is why they would look bad at times. If Berube can adapt his system to our D's strong-suits, I think they'll be just fine.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
MASE THE ACE

Like the new guys answers to the media

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Another perspective
Another moron who thinks this is all about goaltending. Amazing that Wyshynski gets paid for writing this trash.

Quote:
This season, Philly entered with one of the most perilous goaltending tandems in the NHL in Mason and Ray Emery. Three games in, and Laviolette paid the price for the team giving up nine goals in three losses.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Another moron who thinks this is all about goaltending.
I think he suggested it started with the goaltending never really being addressed properly and it having the snowball effect..so far it's not a problem this year from what I can see. It is still perilous and unknown though....

Old
10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
McNasty

Quote:
I think they believe Schenn and Couturier possess that type of ability. Hopefully Berube is able to get more out of them (and the rest of the team) than Lavi, but it still remains to be seen whether they weren't put into a position to succeed or their ability was overestimated.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Another moron who thinks this is all about goaltending. Amazing that Wyshynski gets paid for writing this trash.
Wyshnyski is a Devils homer and trashes the Flyers whenever possible.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
JustJim

My initial response was negative, but.....

I dunno folks, I seem to be changing my opinion here about making Chief the new head coach. I think he'll do a fine job!
His first interview ( with that annoying toad Pinnacio in attendance) was upbeat. One of the key targets Berube said they'll be focusing on is their play away from the puck. Something that has been a problem for the past couple of years, yet never addressed in the former coaching methods.
He didn't insult Laviolette or McCarthy, he praised them and thanked them for teaching him.
A very classy thing IMHO.
He also appointed Ian Lapperierre as an assistant coach! Lappy is one of the most positive, energetic people employed by that organization, I applaud Chief's choice for an assistant!
Will they improve immediately?
Tomorrow they will get their first win of the season!
The first of many, I hope!

I can't wait to see Chief square off with that ***** Bylsma! The language will be peppery, so Coatsie will enjoy every insult hurled at that toolbag!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote