HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2013, 10:08 PM
  #551
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,796
vCash: 500
I'm not sure if it was posted here but Bob MacKenzie said on TSN tonight that when the Flyers were thinking of pulling the plug on Lavi after last year that Criag Berube would have likely still been his replacement.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:11 PM
  #552
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
Correction. 2 to go.

Ed Snider has basically become the Al Davis of hockey. The Raiders were always "committed" to winning and talked about toughness, but their championships came decades ago. Al Davis would spend money and draft picks recklessly.

Comcast owns the team. It's time to push Snider to retire and step down.
ed Snider is not like Al Davis at all.

I could see Dan Snyder, or Jerry Jones...but nothing like Davis...please...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:15 PM
  #553
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,796
vCash: 500
I can understand wanting to get rid of Lavi, I also wanted him to be fired, his system was broken and the team didn't have much of a chance to be successful as long as he was still there mismanaging them. But all this Homer and Snider hate is just unbelievable. Do you people who constantly cry and complain honestly you think you know better than them? You think that they're the reason that this team hasn't won a cup? You think that they just sit there twiddling their thumbs instead of doing everything in their power to make this team successful and win a cup for you ungrateful fans? This "we have no chance to win a cup until they're gone" talk is almost funny. As if they're what stands between us and a cup instead of the players either not playing well or the coach not coaching well. If there's a way for Homer to improve this team he's never afraid to make the move. It's not like the solution to all our problems is a FA out there and Homer just ignores them. Is there a GM available out there who could do better? Maybe, but you people don't know for sure. If you want to criticize his moves that's fine, obviously not everyone is going to agree about everything, but when you act like you know everything and that all these people are idiots you look like arrogant a**holes.

I also want to be clear, I'm not talking to everyone who criticizes them, I'm talking to a select few of you.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:17 PM
  #554
Flyers845
Registered User
 
Flyers845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Is there a chance the chief changes any of the leadership? Captain or the two A's?

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
  #555
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
I still think Holmgren is a decent GM. His signings this summer I thought were excellent. In fact, the signing of Lecavalier for the amount he got was genius. My biggest problem with Holmgren is his lack of patience. I don't mind the firing of Lavi, because I think his system would not win up a Cup. I wanted to get Dallas Eakins last year, but he is gone. I don't anticipate much from Berube. I just think all the venom at Snider and Holmgren is a bit much.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  #556
SuchySays
Registered User
 
SuchySays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poconos
Country: United States
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I think Snider has a outdated view of the sport, and that holds the franchise back. 2010 was a magical run, and way above the heads of the true skill of this team. Excluding the 2010 run, this team has won just 22 playoff games since the first lockout. This is not a top end franchise anymore. It's just another middle of the road, never really challenging for much franchise, and that's not going to change without a change in viewpoint, which Snider just said wasn't needed.

I have no desire to steal taxpayers money to make myself richer, so if that makes me "less successful" than Snider, so be it.

[mod]

i have no words.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-07-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Can't do that
SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  #557
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
The measure is how many banners you are hanging from the rafters.
too bad there is no way to assure this. its a mixture of luck and talent.

in the last 30 years the flyers have been to the conference finals more than anybody...its pretty hard to objectively expect more.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:22 PM
  #558
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
Is there a chance the chief changes any of the leadership? Captain or the two A's?
The only way I see it happening is if one of them is traded & at this point I don't see Giroux, Kimmo, or Hartnell being traded so a very slim chance.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:23 PM
  #559
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not sure if it was posted here but Bob MacKenzie said on TSN tonight that when the Flyers were thinking of pulling the plug on Lavi after last year that Criag Berube would have likely still been his replacement.
Homer, Tocchet, Bundy all seem very confident that he'll make a good hc. I assume they know more then we do .

I'm confident he'll do a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
Is there a chance the chief changes any of the leadership? Captain or the two A's?
Highly unlikely. Stripping players never goes over well and G is still our best player and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I really wish teams would stop giving the C to their best player though, it's stupid.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:24 PM
  #560
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Homer, Tocchet, Bundy all seem very confident that he'll make a good hc. I assume they know more then we do .

I'm confident he'll do a good job.



Highly unlikely. Stripping players never goes over well and G is still our best player and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I really wish teams would stop giving the C to their best player though, it's stupid.
I agree with the last sentence but would you have given it to someone other than G?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:27 PM
  #561
Embiid
JoJo says no no!
 
Embiid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Do you people who constantly cry and complain honestly you think you know better than them?

I also want to be clear, I'm not talking to everyone who criticizes them, I'm talking to a select few of you.
Yes ...and I can't wait to hear your holier than thou BS when Holmgren steps down or is let go. All you blind apologists continue to be exposed just like senile Snider.

Everybody is commenting how arrogant and nasty Snider was today. He sounded and looked like a complete lunatic who hates being questioned because his bank account and glory days when he was wearing leisure suits should stand the test of time and stand on its own merit. Well it hasn't....it has been almost 4 decades since this team has won a cup and what we have witnessed in the last couple of years is only a microcosm of what's wrong with the culture of this management yet it has been very revealing. The GM and the senile owner have shown nothing but rash impatience .....nothing has been done in a measured approach..everything has been reactive. You act as though all this drama that has been going in is something normal? Well it isn't..get a freakin clue.

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:28 PM
  #562
Embiid
JoJo says no no!
 
Embiid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I still think Holmgren is a decent GM. His signings this summer I thought were excellent. In fact, the signing of Lecavalier for the amount he got was genius. My biggest problem with Holmgren is his lack of patience. I don't mind the firing of Lavi, because I think his system would not win up a Cup. I wanted to get Dallas Eakins last year, but he is gone. I don't anticipate much from Berube. I just think all the venom at Snider and Holmgren is a bit much.

What is genius about buying your way out of mistakes?

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:35 PM
  #563
sa cyred
Trying to Chill
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SJ
Country: Cuba
Posts: 18,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
too bad there is no way to assure this. its a mixture of luck and talent.

in the last 30 years the flyers have been to the conference finals more than anybody...its pretty hard to objectively expect more.
I guess it depends on who you ask. Like some teams fans are ecstatic that their team makes playoffs since they missed out for a few years. I'm guessing while you would be happy they win the cup you are ok with finals appearances.

For me though, at this point, I do wish they win the cup. Good hockey is good but just that feeling of "winning it all" would be nice.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:38 PM
  #564
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yes ...and I can't wait to hear your holier than thou BS when Holmgren steps down or is let go. All you blind apologists continue to be exposed just like senile Snider.

Everybody is commenting how arrogant and nasty Snider was today. He sounded and looked like a complete lunatic who hates being questioned because his bank account and glory days when he was wearing leisure suits should stand the test of time and stand on its own merit. Well it hasn't....it has been almost 4 decades since this team has won a cup and what we have witnessed in the last couple of years is only a microcosm of what's wrong with the culture of this management yet it has been very revealing. The GM and the senile owner have shown nothing but rash impatience .....nothing has been done in a measured approach..everything has been reactive. You act as though all this drama that has been going in is something normal? Well it isn't..get a freakin clue.
If you were asked stupid questions like he was then I'm sure you would act the same way, for example you act the same way in most of your posts and that's without the stupid questions. Do you seriously think that it's been 4 decades since they won the cup because of Snider? Seriously? I don't know how you don't have a job in management with all this rational thinking and insight, it's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about...

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:39 PM
  #565
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,098
vCash: 500
Yes, Snider wants to win a Cup and will do anything to do so. I don't think anybody can realistically question that. However, one has to question how beneficial that is at this point, if he's getting too involved.

The Bryzgalov debacle is a good example.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
  #566
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
Snider is largely in charge of who the GM is and aside from that he tends to get involved in GM operations from time to time.

So if we haven't won a Cup in 40 years (which we haven't) it has at least somewhat to do with him.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
  #567
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It is amazing how people are praising this management when we have had massive instability and turnover..first with Carter and Richards, then Bryz and now with Lavi. This organization should be embarrassed by how it has conducted itself.
The Carter and Richards trades were great. [mod]


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-07-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Can't do that either
Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:43 PM
  #568
Embiid
JoJo says no no!
 
Embiid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
If you were asked stupid questions like he was then I'm sure you would act the same way, for example you act the same way in most of your posts and that's without the stupid questions. Do you seriously think that it's been 4 decades since they won the cup because of Snider? Seriously? I don't know how you don't have a job in management with all this rational thinking and insight, it's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about...
See you when Holmgren is gone dude....no sense arguing with ya..[mod]


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-07-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Orrrrrr that
Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
  #569
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I agree with the last sentence but would you have given it to someone other than G?
Kimmo

I probably would have given it to him in 2008. I'm a huge Richards fan but much like G he was too young and too much pressure was put on them for no reason. Especially with these philly media ass-clowns making stuff up at every turn.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
  #570
Embiid
JoJo says no no!
 
Embiid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
The Carter and Richards trades were great. Anyone disputing that is just simple minded.
Not disputing that one ....it's what has followed that has been one big debacle. Nonetheless, it been way too much drama and it doesn't make the Flyers look very good

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:45 PM
  #571
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Kimmo
Didn't he turn it down? Or am I crossing him with Desjardins?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM
  #572
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Didn't he turn it down? Or am I crossing him with Desjardins?
That was Desjardins

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:47 PM
  #573
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 24,441
vCash: 50
Kimmo shouldn't be captain. Love the guy but he's really on the downside of his career now.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
  #574
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Kimmo shouldn't be captain. Love the guy but he's really on the downside of his career now.
I said he should have been made captain in 2008. He wasn't on the decline then.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
  #575
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Kimmo

I probably would have given it to him in 2008. I'm a huge Richards fan but much like G he was too young and too much pressure was put on them for no reason. Especially with these philly media ass-clowns making stuff up at every turn.
I thought they didn't give it to Kimmo because they thought he was going to retire after last season?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.