HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Galley: "Chris Pronger to the Kings is a done deal"

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Galley: "Chris Pronger to the Kings is a done deal"

HF Boards - General Hockey Discussion

It's just rumor...but hell, it would be GREAT!
Pronger is not even 31, he still has a few good seasons left in him.

Old
06-28-2005, 12:02 PM
guzmania

With the understanding that "it's just a rumor" a big ol' D-man like Pronger with O skills, big play capability, and a nasty side would make all aspects of the team better. Do you think that Garon would appreciate this guy? What about Visnovsky and Norstrom? Things would also loosen up for Frolov and the boys up front. Ya hate this kinda guy when he's playing for the other guys, but he would move right into the cockles of your hearts. OK, that didn't come out like I wanted. Who can forget the 5 goal lead that was developed when Pronger was penalzed and in the box during that playoff game (the one where Fisheye got hurt and Jaime Storr was knocked into the middle of the next season, totally senseless), that disappeared just as quicky once the big guy came charging back onto the ice. Green Green Green Burrito, the My "most disappointing moment" in Kings history. Picking up Pronger would be a no-brainer.

It's like the Black bird in the Maltese Falcon, "The stuff that dreams are made of".

Old
06-28-2005, 12:16 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I was gonna post yet didnt have the time you beat me Albi lol - Ya it sounds like a good idea but something i think you are all forgetting he is still contracted under the Blues and after rollback costs 7 million..... Is it really worth having that on our team for that we could "possibly" sign Neidermeyer and Foote or something like that two awesome D-man and i think Neidermeyer is better espiacilly if we gonna pay 7 million - Either way i'd love to have him on our team but read the thread http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=148579 what u realize is if this is true then as everyone says we gonna have to compensate and be fined for talking with a player

Old
06-28-2005, 12:19 PM
King Blazer

Between Tkachuk, Weight and Pronger someones likely to get moved so St Louis can fill out the roster under the cap...

Also, I keep reading about fines and compensation for talking with Pronger. Is there currently a document in place to prevent teams from talking to other team's players?

Old
06-28-2005, 01:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Between Tkachuk, Weight and Pronger someones likely to get moved so St Louis can fill out the roster under the cap...

Also, I keep reading about fines and compensation for talking with Pronger. Is there currently a document in place to prevent teams from talking to other team's players?

I would have to think that the Kings could be guilty of tampering if this was true.

Old
06-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Wow

Last edited by Old Hickory: 06-28-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Old
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Face Wash

How many years left did Pronger have?

Old
06-28-2005, 02:02 PM
jfont

Awards:
the thread in the trade board is closed but john has allowed us to still talk about this rumor...that and make fun of face wash...

06-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
the thread in the trade board is closed but john has allowed us to still talk about this rumor...that and make fun of face wash...
like jesus needs an excuse to make fun of me....

Old
06-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

To my recollection, Pronger re-signed for one year at $10M. If the contracts for the 2004-2005 season do not carry over, Chris Pronger will become an UFA.

As for making a case for tampering. Teams constantly send out "feelers" to show their interest, but they don't actually negotiate a deal with an agent or his client until either they have been granted permission to do so (by the team that retains that players rights). The Kings recently did this with Stephane Quintal last summer. They first were granted permission by the Montreal Canadiens to talk to Quintal regarding a contract. The Kings and Quintal mutually agreed on the terms for a contract, and thus the Kings acquired Quintal's rights from Montreal then announced his signing a few days following his acquisition.

Another example is when Steve Duchesne signed with the Kings. During his last season with the Blues (in which they eliminated the Kings in the first round) there were rumbling that Duchesne would be signing with the Kings, before the free agency period had even begun. Luc Robitaille, who is good friends with Duchesne, also let it be known to Steve that the Kings would be interested in bringing him back. That isn't tampering. That is just sending out a "feeler."

We don't know how (or if) the Kings have contacted or negotiated a deal with Pronger, his agent or Blues GM Larry Pleau, so I'm wondering how Galley knows that this is a "done deal." Having been a former player who spent many years in the pros, it is difficult to doubt Galley (plus he's from my alma mater, Bowling Green ). No other news sources out of Missouri or Los Angeles have reported on this. The only source that has leaked the information appears to be Galley (who reported it on Team 1200, an Ottawa based radio station).

Old
06-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
As for making a case for tampering. Teams constantly send out "feelers" to show their interest, but they don't actually negotiate a deal with an agent or his client until either they have been granted permission to do so (by the team that retains that players rights). The Kings recently did this with Stephane Quintal last summer. They first were granted permission by the Montreal Canadiens to talk to Quintal regarding a contract. The Kings and Quintal mutually agreed on the terms for a contract, and thus the Kings acquired Quintal's rights from Montreal then announced his signing a few days following his acquisition.

Another example is when Steve Duchesne signed with the Kings. During his last season with the Blues (in which they eliminated the Kings in the first round) there were rumbling that Duchesne would be signing with the Kings, before the free agency period had even begun. Luc Robitaille, who is good friends with Duchesne, also let it be known to Steve that the Kings would be interested in bringing him back. That isn't tampering. That is just sending out a "feeler."

Other examples of this can be found historicaly on July 1 of each year when a UFA becomes able to negotiate. I first noticed this with Robert Lang when he signed with Washington approximately 2 minutes after he was able to. There obviously was some communication before hand that he knew this was going to be his best deal.

Old
06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
gr8haluschak

I love the last two posters here who are trying to justify the deal being done. If it is done or even if the Kings have talked to Pronger then are guilty of tampering and if that is true you can look forward to losing your next five first round draft picks like the Blues did when they where accusted of tampering before Scott Stevens was to become a UFA a six or so years ago.

Old
06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by gr8haluschak
I love the last two posters here who are trying to justify the deal being done. If it is done or even if the Kings have talked to Pronger then are guilty of tampering and if that is true you can look forward to losing your next five first round draft picks like the Blues did when they where accusted of tampering before Scott Stevens was to become a UFA a six or so years ago.
Not if they got permission. Maybe DT got permission to talk to Pronger. Think about it, you know GM's have been talking to each other. Like some have said, "putting out feelers." Look, this is probably a bunch of bs, but it is fun to speculate, no?

Also, wasn't Pronger rumored coming to the kings just before the lockout started? I remember there was some talk about it during that summer.

D

Old
06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak
Calm down there oversensitive Blues fan. We are guessing on how they have gotten through to have discussions with Pronger, his agent or with Blues management (if true). Surely you must be aware that no club is dumb enough to do such a thing as tampering(save for past Blues management).
They are aware of the penalties for tampering, and I don't think the Kings or any other club would be approaching Pronger or any other player out there w/o first having the permission to do so. Philly gained the permission from Phoenix to talk to JR before he hit the market. Philly allowed the Ducks to negotiate with Adam Oates and his signing was officially announced the minute the free agency period began.
It isn't uncommon for teams to be granted permission to negotiate a deal for a player. That is what we are alluding to. If you read my post I question how thus far we only have one source reporting this supposed deal. I love how you jump to conclusions.

Old
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak

May I suggest comprehension 101 to you. No where do I state that a deal is done nor do I believe a deal is done. I merely pointed out where contracts have been signed rather quickly by UFA's and that agents and GM's must have talked or known in advance what a UFA wanted to make a deal get done as soon as it was considered legal. We were merely implying that people talk and feelers can be let out. Who would know better of how trades, contracts, and negotiations are done in the NHL better than a former NHL player(Garry Galley). If there wasnt an ounce of legitimacy to what he was told his background should know. Assuming of course Garry even said it all.

Old
06-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt13
May I suggest comprehension 101 to you.

Old
06-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Albi

I think it's possible to listen to the program
Check this link

Old
06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Albi

BUYOUTS GALORE?
The pending CBA signing is expected to lead to a flurry of free-agent activity later this summer. It may also start a rash of contract buyouts, if rumors about a window of opportunity for teams to rid themselves of 'bad' contracts are true. According to several sources, NHL clubs may be allowed to buy out two players each at 2/3 of their projected salary (after the proposed 24% rollback kicks in). This could lead to an even greater number of unrestricted free agents than expected. Among the contracts most susceptible to getting bought out, there's Bobby Holik of the New York Rangers (2 more years, $9 million/year before 24% rollback), Alexei Yashin of the New York Islanders (6 more years, $10/year), John LeClair (2 more years, $9 million/year) and Tony Amonte (1 more year, $6 million) of the Philadelphia Flyers, Keith Tkachuk of the St. Louis Blues (2 more years, $9 million/year), Bill Guerin of the Dallas Stars (2 more years, $9 million/year) and Owen Nolan of the Toronto Maple Leafs (1 more year, $6 million).

link - TheScore

Old
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Albi

More players rumors...

All signs a new CBA will soon be signed.
We're getting closer.

Old
06-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
BUYOUTS GALORE?
The pending CBA signing is expected to lead to a flurry of free-agent activity later this summer. It may also start a rash of contract buyouts, if rumors about a window of opportunity for teams to rid themselves of 'bad' contracts are true. According to several sources, NHL clubs may be allowed to buy out two players each at 2/3 of their projected salary (after the proposed 24% rollback kicks in). This could lead to an even greater number of unrestricted free agents than expected. Among the contracts most susceptible to getting bought out, there's Bobby Holik of the New York Rangers (2 more years, $9 million/year before 24% rollback), Alexei Yashin of the New York Islanders (6 more years, $10/year), John LeClair (2 more years, $9 million/year) and Tony Amonte (1 more year, $6 million) of the Philadelphia Flyers, Keith Tkachuk of the St. Louis Blues (2 more years, $9 million/year), Bill Guerin of the Dallas Stars (2 more years, $9 million/year) and Owen Nolan of the Toronto Maple Leafs (1 more year, $6 million).

link - TheScore

Not that there arent a bunch of others but I cant believe that Martin Lapointe didnt make the list of "who's who in stupid signings".

Old
06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
HF Boards - General Hockey Discussion

It's just rumor...but hell, it would be GREAT!
Pronger is not even 31, he still has a few good seasons left in him.

I hope this is true.It would keep Pronger out west

I've been expecting the Leafs,Rangers and Devils to make a run at him.

Old
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Game Misconduct

You guys are all stoned.

Old
06-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I hope this is true.It would keep Pronger out west

I've been expecting the Leafs,Rangers and Devils to make a run at him.
Crew you've been on the Kings board an awful lot lately....got a 2nd favorite team?

Old
06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
You guys are all stoned.
What's wrong with that?

Old
06-28-2005, 06:51 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Crew you've been on the Kings board an awful lot lately....got a 2nd favorite team?

I like a couple of the western conference teams ..the Kings and Oilers.

Closed Thread