HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Belanger or Pirnes- Who do you think is better?

View Poll Results: Belanger or Pirnes- Choose your #3 Center
Belanger 25 54.35%
Pirnes 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 06:08 PM
two out of three*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
We need Pirnes to miss penalty shots.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:44 PM
guzmania

My take on the penalty shots is that he got a 100% more chances on the penalty shot than Belanger. Even if he misses the next 10 that is still better than never forcing the other guys to pull you down. The question was choose one or another, Belly is just fine with me, but, as with all players, I recognize some of his short comings and I'd like to see what Esa can do.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
1. 8 months older... that issue is almost negligible when we're talking about prospects. It's not a worthwhile issue to discuss when you're talking about 28 year-olds, unless you're simply refuting someone else saying Pirnes is younger.

2. Just because he didn't crack ten goals in the Finnish league doesn't mean he doesn't have offensive potential. For one, I believe he was injured for part of the season. He was 4th in scoring on his team, one point behind second... while playing three less games. For another, he also had 29 assists. Was Adam Oates not offensively gifted because he had only 341 goals in 1,337 games? Bear in mind, I'm not saying Pirnes is Oates, but to base offensive ability on goals alone is a horrible assumption to make.

3. I like Pirnes more because I think he's better defensively.

4. If I recall correctly, Belanger said he prefers the role of a third liner; he doesn't want to be a second liner. If push comes to shove, and God forbid we need our third line center to move up to the second line center role again... would you rather give it to someone who doesn't want it?

Granted, it's very close because I do think Belanger is better offensively. And if you like Belanger more, I can understand that. However, you seem to be selling Pirnes short. I think he had a good debut as a two-way forward after he's spent his entire time playing hockey in Finland.
The Pirnes being older than Belanger comment was just an FYI for everyone. What you see is pretty much what you're going to get. Pirnes had a pretty similar season in Finland to the one he had in 2002-03. Better PPG in the regular season, worse PPG in the playoffs. Worse GPG in both the regular season and the playoffs. I'm not basng his offensive potential on goals alone, but his numbers do not show me some offensive potential that is just waiting to break out. Most NHL third and fourth liners (non-enforcers) put up great numbers in the AHL or Europe. Guys like Ladislav Kohn, Jason Williams, and Steve Kariya had similar or better seasons in the FNL.

If Armstrong went down to injury, yes, I'd give the second line job to Belanger before I gave it to Pirnes. I'd first try moving Avery or Camalleri from wing to center or call up Lehoux, but Belanger would get the job before Pirnes.

Old
07-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
My take on the penalty shots is that he got a 100% more chances on the penalty shot than Belanger. Even if he misses the next 10 that is still better than never forcing the other guys to pull you down. The question was choose one or another, Belly is just fine with me, but, as with all players, I recognize some of his short comings and I'd like to see what Esa can do.
Where Belanger scores on his Shorthanded breakaway and Pirnes gets poke checked on his penalty shot by Marc Andre Fleury. Big Difference there. I consider it 100% better.

Old
07-16-2005, 12:35 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Where Belanger scores on his Shorthanded breakaway and Pirnes gets poke checked on his penalty shot by Marc Andre Fleury. Big Difference there. I consider it 100% better.

Old
07-16-2005, 04:15 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Belanger shows flashes of offensive ability and of course his faceoff skills...he seems like the more effective player...but there's something about pirnes that i like....he seems to be more willing to play the role of a checking forward and he contributes offensively more than just once in a while...so i'll take pirnes....trade Ebel while his "potential tag" is still existing

Old
07-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Jantsa

What do you think, is Pirnes getting a one-way contract from Kings? I'd like to keep him here in Finland and I'm afraiding Kings will steal him from us

Old
07-27-2005, 10:03 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Neither, use Pirnes as the 4th line center and use Lehoux in a 3rd line center role...
Since playing d is important to a 3rd line center, you can count out Lehoux.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantsa
What do you think, is Pirnes getting a one-way contract from Kings? I'd like to keep him here in Finland and I'm afraiding Kings will steal him from us
We probably wont know until right before the deadline to sign our RFA's.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:30 PM
willywonka

I am astonished at all of the people that voted for Pirnes. I am truly speechless.

Old
07-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonka
I am astonished at all of the people that voted for Pirnes. I am truly speechless.
Care to elaborate?

Old
07-27-2005, 11:12 PM
maximil

I liked Pirnes better than Belanger in 2003-2004. But Belanger might not have had his best year.

I'd had to have watched both play last season to really know the answer.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:14 AM
willywonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Care to elaborate?
Belanger is a great faceoff guy, great in his own zone, has speed, not afraid to play with emotion and passion IMO. He always plays hard and he will also pop in an amazing goal once in awhile. Great guy to have around for the playoffs. What else could you ask for with a 3rd or 4th line center?

Just my opinion.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:39 AM
nikolai19

Personally I'd like both of these guys gone, but if I had to choose one, I'd take Belanger.

My third and fourth line centers would be Avery and Armstrong.

Closed Thread