HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Poile Interviews Summary

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
Poile Interviews Summary

Here is the synopsis from the Poile interviews today, for those that missed them...

-said "I don't expect the Preds to have the highest payroll, but i don't think we'll be the lowest, either."
-"i have two unrestricted free agents i'm interested in bringing back (johnson/mckenzie)"
-"i'm going to take care of everything in-house first, then look at UFA's. We already have some of our best players under contract, like Vokoun, Timonen, and Walker, so it's just a matter of taking care of everyone else."

-mostly general CBA and competition committee talk.

sadly, i had to leave my car right when they started talking about suter/weber and missed that.

Old
07-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Pred303

vopat...he said that he expected suter to make the team out of camp but that he would like to see weber in milwaukee for a year to give him time to develop

Old
07-14-2005, 07:45 AM
vopatsrash

Gracias pred303.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Weber can do against the NHL guys during camp/preseason and getting a better measuring stick of where he is at this point in his development.

Old
07-14-2005, 08:07 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I'd like to see Weber in Milwaukee too. And while we are at it, I wouldn't mind seeing Suter there as well. But Weber definitely could use a year there. There's no point in rushing him when we don't have to have him next year. Put him in the AHL (like Hammer/Suter) and let him develop playing top minutes against solid talent.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I got the impression from the interview that Poile is going to take a wait and see approach in regards to UFA. Who knows which way will be better (agressive or passive) in determining the new climate...but I do hope we add somone even if it isn't a big name. One thing that stood out to me in his interview was he said the Preds may not qualify everyone. Instead, they could go out and get somone from the market instead. I'm wondering if this means we can kiss Lilja and Orszagh goodbye, or if it just is speculation at this point. Also, it looks like Walker's comments have not blinded Poile (well, that is speculation but as vopat pointed out he included Walker on the short list of best players, etc.)

Regardless, I'm wondering how high we will spend next season. My guess is 26-28 million with the possibility of adding higher salaries through the draft or trades later in the season.

The Preds desperately need a center - whether it is another 3rd liner or a top line player.....we still need one. If we could get a player in the mold of Andrei Nikolishin, it would really go along way to helping our forwards corps as a unit. However, all of us would like to get a Demitra or to a lesser degree Turgeon to bolster our front 6.

07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I got the impression from the interview that Poile is going to take a wait and see approach in regards to UFA. Who knows which way will be better (agressive or passive) in determining the new climate...but I do hope we add somone even if it isn't a big name. One thing that stood out to me in his interview was he said the Preds may not qualify everyone. Instead, they could go out and get somone from the market instead. I'm wondering if this means we can kiss Lilja and Orszagh goodbye, or if it just is speculation at this point. Also, it looks like Walker's comments have not blinded Poile (well, that is speculation but as vopat pointed out he included Walker on the short list of best players, etc.)

Regardless, I'm wondering how high we will spend next season. My guess is 26-28 million with the possibility of adding higher salaries through the draft or trades later in the season.

The Preds desperately need a center - whether it is another 3rd liner or a top line player.....we still need one. If we could get a player in the mold of Andrei Nikolishin, it would really go along way to helping our forwards corps as a unit. However, all of us would like to get a Demitra or to a lesser degree Turgeon to bolster our front 6.
If Orszagh works on his knee and gets it going, he'll be back. They (management) mentioned it in a paper interview and seemed against bringing him back if he is still nursing that injury.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:01 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'd like to see Weber in Milwaukee too. And while we are at it, I wouldn't mind seeing Suter there as well. .
weber for sure should spend one year mininum in the ahl. in my opinion everyone should spend at least one year in the ahl, its too big of a jump from junior to the nhl.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRF
weber for sure should spend one year mininum in the ahl. in my opinion everyone should spend at least one year in the ahl, its too big of a jump from junior to the nhl.
Well, not everyone (like Crosby), but I do agree. Players like Hartnell and Legwand could have used a year in the AHL. Unfortunately, because of the AHL/CHL agreement and because of the needs of the Predators, that couldn't happen. Going forward, we are in a position to allow that to happen from now on. Every first round pick since Hartnell has spent a year in the AHL save for Radulov, who hasn't had his time yet. I think this trend needs to continue. It is no coincidence that two of our brightest young players (Suter and Hamhuis) have spent at least a year in the AHL. In our first few years, we might have forced these kids into NHL action but there time in the AHL has been very, very worthwhile. In Hamhuis' case, I think it could be easily argued that this year in the AHL was invaluable to his development. He was the top dog in the AHL, something he couldn't have been in the NHL. He can take that confidence and step into a top 4 role in the NHL next year and work towards making this a trend (top dog after three years in the CHL , top dog after three years in the AHL[from start of service], top dog after three years in the NHL) continue.

Closed Thread