HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

**Voting For Bloomberg?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2005, 04:35 PM
ftyutin51

vCash: 500
**Voting For Bloomberg?

The doorbell rang and when I opened up the door, I see this guy wearing pins of Bloomberg. He asks me if I could sign and so I said "why should I". He goes on explaining how Bloomberg is "one of the best mayors the USA has ever known". Bloomberg is really good, blah blah blah. Then I tell him "Sorry, I'm not old enough to vote. I'm only 14".

Old
07-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Edge

Ah the political machine. It's like a sea of floating..... fertilizer. And to think, I'm snorkling in it......

Old
07-11-2005, 04:39 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

i want Guiliani to be back im not very political but, Rudy was the man I would even vote if he ran for President.

Im ANTI _Bloomberg. Im a UNION man and Bloomberg is completley anti union and does nothing to help me so no i would not support him.The guy is a ******* and if i was to meet him im pretty sure i would have no problem saying to his face or anyone trying to support him.

Old
07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm gonna let this thread live for a bit, but it's on double secret probation. Respect each other's opinions as politics seem to bring out the worst in people.

That said, I voted for Bloomberg and would so again.

Old
07-11-2005, 04:46 PM
patnyrnyg

I'm a teacher in NYC, no chance in hell do I vote for Bloomberg. I would vote for Bin Laden over Bloomberg.

Old
07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
I'm a teacher in NYC, no chance in hell do I vote for Bloomberg. I would vote for Bin Laden over Bloomberg.
I wouldn't go quite that far but, I have no intention of voting for someone who spent the better part of the last 4 years shilling for development on the West Side and for the Olympics--especially while downtown still needs more support than its getting. I guess getting an early start on the selection process for 2016 will be a major concern for the next 4 years too.

Old
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm gonna let this thread live for a bit, but it's on double secret probation. Respect each other's opinions as politics seem to bring out the worst in people.

That said, I voted for Bloomberg and would so again.
Double secret probation. God that makes me wanna see Animal House right now. But alas I am at work and that is a no no

Old
07-11-2005, 05:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Double secret probation. God that makes me wanna see Animal House right now. But alas I am at work and that is a no no
I'm gonna put Neidermeyer on it.

Great movie.

Old
07-11-2005, 05:01 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
i want Guiliani to be back im not very political but, Rudy was the man I would even vote if he ran for President.

Im ANTI _Bloomberg. Im a UNION man and Bloomberg is completley anti union and does nothing to help me so no i would not support him.The guy is a ******* and if i was to meet him im pretty sure i would have no problem saying to his face or anyone trying to support him.
Not Guiliani for President. In our current environment,I trust no Republican, not even McCain.

Exactly Re: Bloomberg. The guys is so anti-labor he's worse than Bettman.

Old
07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Edge

Without getting into anything political (most people hear know what I do), I've had the opporunity to meet John McCain a few times and he really is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Especially in the political arena. He's just a genuinly likeable guy and I've really enjoyed working with him and his staff.

Old
07-11-2005, 05:55 PM
tinyzombies

HOw is he anti-union? I just moved to NYC....

I read that he brought last years budget in under $3 bil. The stadium plan seems like a non-issue to me since they're gonna build a new stadium for the Mets and will create jobs there instead.

The Olympics seems like a non-issue either. It was an attempt to lure some money to NYC, but the campaign was generated by private funding.

Old
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Without getting into anything political (most people hear know what I do), I've had the opporunity to meet John McCain a few times and he really is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Especially in the political arena. He's just a genuinly likeable guy and I've really enjoyed working with him and his staff.
Hey, there's probably still time for McCain to establish residency in New York. Then we could have a Mayor from Ariz., a Senator from Ill. and a Governor who lives in his own little world.

Old
07-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Edge

Hey you think that's bad, try the Nevada political scene.

We have the highest ranking Democrat in the country, a mayor in Vegas who is known as much for his comments as he is for representing the MOB in court, and a "Stripper-Gate" scandal involving county commishioners.

We're like a three ring circus over here, and we're not even in an election year.

Old
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
HOw is he anti-union? I just moved to NYC....

I read that he brought last years budget in under $3 bil. The stadium plan seems like a non-issue to me since they're gonna build a new stadium for the Mets and will create jobs there instead.

The Olympics seems like a non-issue either. It was an attempt to lure some money to NYC, but the campaign was generated by private funding.
He is trying to break the teachers union, the cops, the firemen, the mta. The cops have been without a contract for 3 years (although I understand they are on the verge of an agreement, or may have recently signed), the firemen for 3 years, the teachers for 2 years, not sure on the mta. He pissed on drivers of the express bus from queens to manhattan. The construction unions were supporting him, because they wanted the work from the stadium, but now that it is gone, who knows if the support is still there. The big problem with the democrats is just like the national election, they are going to spend so much time bashing each other to get the nomination by the time they are done the party will be split and they'll have little chance of getting the independents.

Old
07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8

Guiliani was overrated. He was the face of the effort behind the 9/11 cleanup.....many signifigant unknowns actually did the work while he basked in media glory. He was a good mayor, not as great as some people made him out to be. He left NY in a financial mess, even without the disaster. I'm no Bloomberg supporter but I think he's done a good job. I despise all politicians equally. I had people come to the door for me also but I thought it was the "black shirts".

Old
07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Fletch

I liked Rudy better than Dinkins...

but Rudy was partly a product of a great economy that saw a boom coinciding with a drop in crime, and I can't remember what much else was better in New York.

I too voted for Bloomberg and would do so again. I normally do not like guys who can't make up their minds (Democrat running on a Republican ticket), but it was a good middle ground and the other choices are too extreme for me.

I understand teachers' problems, but it goes further than just spending money on more books, obviously. It's tough turning areas around to get parents to care and kids to care. That's where it starts. I don't know if any mayor can turn this education system around in a term, two or three. This ain't Jersey.

Old
07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
patnyrnyg

I was a Bloomberg supporter last time. I didn't live in NYC at the time, so I obviously did not vote.

You are right, for the teachers it is beyond the contract or money for books. It's more about him putting a lawyer in charge of the school system (Klein, a man who has never taught a day in his life) and implementing assinine programs (balanced literacy, impact math, the workshop model) citywide. Do not let the headlines fool you. Scores on standardized tests have gone up, but they fail to acknowledge the tests were made easier and the thresholds were lowered. For example, last year a 7th grader had to answer 45 out of 50 questions correct in order to earn a "4", the highest score. This year, only needed 43 out of 50. To get a "2" last year they needed 29 out of 50, this year only 25 correct. To get a 3, last year they needed 37 correct, this year only 33. Now, take into account that the 5th, 6th, and 7th grade tests are about 50% identical. So, if a 7th grader was able to answer 1/2 the questions correct, and remind you about 1/2 also appeared on the 5th grade test, he/she gets promoted. To fail for the year a student has to fail the class AND score a 1 on the city wide. Reminder, 2 means "Approaching standards". So, a kid can do nothing all year, cause problems in the class, make it difficult for other students to learn receive a failing grade, but if he somehow manages to get 50% of the multiple choice questions correct on the citywide, he gets promoted. Oh, and if he DOES get sent to summer school all he has to do is show up and the teacher is not allowed to fail him. In a nutshell, these kids get passed along from grade to grade and in reality they aren't learning anything. Last year, I failed 19 of my 25 seventh graders for the year. 12 of these students also scored a 1 and had to go to summer school. The first day of school they all came and THANKED me for sending them to summer school because they had so much fun and they did even less work in summer school. Some how, ALL 12 were in eighth grade. Of these 12, 10 failed 8th grade math this year. GO figure. But yeah, the scores are up, Bloomie's programs are working.

Oh, and I can also say if he wins in November and we still do not have a contract, there will be a teachers strike.

Old
07-11-2005, 08:28 PM
mhurley

Quote:
He is trying to break the teachers union, the cops, the firemen, the mta. The cops have been without a contract for 3 years (although I understand they are on the verge of an agreement, or may have recently signed), the firemen for 3 years, the teachers for 2 years, not sure on the mta. He pissed on drivers of the express bus from queens to manhattan. The construction unions were supporting him, because they wanted the work from the stadium, but now that it is gone, who knows if the support is still there. The big problem with the democrats is just like the national election, they are going to spend so much time bashing each other to get the nomination by the time they are done the party will be split and they'll have little chance of getting the independents.

With respect to the MTA, Bloomberg has dragged his feet on the absorption of the private bus lines. The MTA has never wanted to give them parity with the city and doesn't want to honor their pensions when the RTA/MTA finally takes them over.

Another person who shouldn't get a union vote is Schumer. His wife on the city council was ready to sell the private lines down the river. I'll vote for anyone but him.

Bloomberg is for big business, screw the uniformed city employees.

Old
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Nice or not, McCain lost the considerable amount of respect I had for him by compaigning for an ass like George W. Bush. After the way Bush tried to denegrate McCain's war record during his first campaign, if McCain had any balls he would have told the Bush campaign to kiss his ass before he would campaign for W. He towed the party line instead. Too bad. McCain was the only seemingly bipartisan Republican I could in good conscience have voted for. Nowadays being a Democrat is like being a Met and a Ranger fan. It sucks.

Old
07-11-2005, 09:06 PM
RangerBlue381

Send a message via AIM to RangerBlue381
Quote:
They finally did get a contract for the NYPD, but it dropped the rookie salary to the lowest its been in 20 years, and still pays them less than all nearby police departments except for Nassau if I remember correctly. This was within the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Old
07-11-2005, 09:57 PM
patnyrnyg

Don't be fooled by Nassau County. Rookies get paid poorly because they get something like 200/week while in the academy. Once they graduate, they get a regular paycheck. They make 20K the first year only because of the pay during their academy time.

Old
07-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Don't be fooled by Nassau County. Rookies get paid poorly because they get something like 200/week while in the academy. Once they graduate, they get a regular paycheck. They make 20K the first year only because of the pay during their academy time.
The new contract has rookies making $25,000 for the first 18 months. Their salaries after that are lower than almost all nearby areas and a number of other big cities. They also max out at a lower rate for the most part too.

Old
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I am a registered Democrat but I am voting for Michael Bloomberg.Crime is at an all time low.Why change?The Democrats don't have a qualified candiate to defeat Bloomberg?Fernando Ferrer?That's funny?Virginia Fields?Don't make me laugh?Gifford Miller and Anthony Weiner?NO

Old
07-11-2005, 10:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

David Dinkins?Terrible.This may be unpopular and I will probably get a private message telling me that I am out of line and get three more points for bad behavior,but Dinkins defeated Rudy Giuliani in 1989 because of the racial incident with Yusef Hawkins in Brooklyn.Dinkins was a pathetic excuse for a mayor.He spent the majority of his time playing or watching tennis

Old
07-12-2005, 06:18 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Democrats don't have a qualified candiate to defeat Bloomberg?Fernando Ferrer?That's funny?Virginia Fields?Don't make me laugh?Gifford Miller and Anthony Weiner?NO
Therein lies the problem, and by the time they are done beating the snot out of each other to get the nomination they will look even worse. I'm just looking at it as the lesser of two evils. If you are a civil worker in NYC, Bloomie is the ultimate evil.

A guy I work with wants to see Al Sharpton be elected. He said, "He would come in, spend money like it's water and we would live the high life for four years. It will be quite entertaining. Of course, the city will be in financial ruin afterwards, but that's when I'll move to Jersey!!!!!"

Closed Thread