HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gionta not on Road Trip (will re-join team in Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
I hope everything is alright with Gio and his family. The ate for him as a player in here is crazy. The guy always gives his all, not sure how many other players in that room would have cried in the locker room after being told it's season over

Old
10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's a terrible top6 player. We'd hate Ryan White too if he was forced down our throats at 5m and top6 minutes and PP time. Last game was an outlier in so many ways.

Hope his kids are okay, it's cold and flu season. Nothing against the man himself.
On a thread about Gionta's family?

Old
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
On a thread about Gionta's family?

It's Gionta's fault he accepted that contract and he should be the one telling the coach no I don't want to play on the top 6 and I don't want pp time either

Old
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
He's a terrible top6 player. We'd hate Ryan White too if he was forced down our throats at 5m and top6 minutes and PP time. Last game was an outlier in so many ways.

Hope his kids are okay, it's cold and flu season. Nothing against the man himself.
I'm sure you'll agree that "terrible" isn't exactly the correct word. He's a consistent 20-25 goal scorer who is very solid in his own end. Pretty normal for a top-six player actually.

He will be missed on this road trip. Best wishes to his son and family.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I'm sure you'll agree that "terrible" isn't exactly the correct word. He's a consistent 20-25 goal scorer who is very solid in his own end. Pretty normal for a top-six player actually.

He will be missed on this road trip. Best wishes to his son and family.
He will join the team in Calgary, just didn't fly with the rest of the guys

Old
10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
It's Gionta's fault he accepted that contract and he should be the one telling the coach no I don't want to play on the top 6 and I don't want pp time either
The usefulness of Gionta or his contract can and should be debated on any GDT or countless other threads.

Not too classy on a thread about illness in his family.

Old
10-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The usefulness of Gionta or his contract can and should be debated on any GDT or countless other threads.

Not too classy on a thread about illness in his family.
I don't even bother anymore, not worth it. Grass is always greener on the other side

Old
10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He will join the team in Calgary, just didn't fly with the rest of the guys
Thanks for the heads up!

Old
10-07-2013, 06:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Hope Gionta family are alright.

Gionta was brought to Mtl to score goals, and he has actually done a good job of that, he has scored 82 goals in 252 games as a hab, counting playoff games, that's prorated at 27 goals per 82 games. While he has slowed down, and I don't see him sticking with the Habs paste this year, he is still productive, and while small scores nothing but dirty goals.

I agree with many who don't want him re-signed, but I appreciate what he has done, early on in Mtl he was very underrated, heck in his first year he scored 28 goals in 61 games, and added 9 in 19 goals in the playoffs, that's 37 in 82 that year, followed it up with a 29 in 82 the following year. And that was playing with Gomez, and Darche/Moen/Pouilot

Old
10-07-2013, 09:08 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Ok so Gionta played 1 good game and now everyone like him??? He's not a top6 player anymore. Right now i feel we have 5 players that i consider top 6. We have Bourque, Plek and EGG line.
Wouldn't be surprised if Gionta outscores Bourque. Again.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
10-07-2013, 09:21 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
So you don't dislike the play/performance of any player? Because, after all, the coach puts him there.

If you're admitting that he's not the ideal top6 player then why am I a hater for thinking that he shouldn't be in our top6 if we have any intention on winning?

Sincerely doubt it.
Really? Pretty sure Gionta has outscored or at least outpaced Bourque in goals since he signed here. Unless this is the year age finally catches up with gionta and makes him a sub 20 goal scorer, the easy money is with Gionta. Not to mention that he's miles better defensively.

I concede that Bourque is moar bigger, though.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:24 PM
la25ecoupe

It's sad to see him leave next year.. he has his family all set up in Montreal.. now they have to move again..

Old
10-08-2013, 12:06 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
How can people dislike an honest, hard working guy like Gionta?
Easy!

Brian Gionta
Right Wing -- shoots R
Born Jan 18 1979 -- Rochester, NY
[34 yrs. ago]
Height 5.07 -- Weight 173 [170 cm/78 kg]

He could be doing the exact same thing with the same stats and efficiency at 6' and these guys who hate him would love him.

Old
10-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
I hate Gionta's contract, I don't know the person - I don't "hate" Brian Gionta himself.

What does Koivu have to do with anything? Gionta's a mercenary who jumped at a huge, overpaying contract. Koivu was unceremoniously kicked out. And yes, you could have and should have been critical of his on-ice play. Don't you want to win?

I'm critical of his play because I want a team that wins. I want to win a Stanley Cup. Gionta in the top6 does not indicate that we have any cup aspirations any time soon. You're basically saying that we can't criticize any player, ever because they're trying their hardest.

Yes it's his fault he's not good enough to play top6. Who else's fault would it be? He's given the best centre, prime PP minutes and loads of leeway - and he's still producing at a marginal rate. It's ALL on him.

DD has puck skills, is problem is consistency and effort. Gionta has no skills. I don't care if he's the captain, his contract is crap and his performance does not justify an extension (but with Bergevin you never know). His tenure with the Habs has been mediocre-at-best and we'd do well to move on from players of his stature when the rest of our team is FILLED with smurfs.

If we had LAs line up, Gionta on the 3rd line would be petty good. But we have a ton of small, non-physical, non-elite smurfs and Gionta's the hardest working of 'em all... but our team-build is still bad and his contract is expiring the earliest.
So I'm not allowed to criticize Therrien now either? We've seen time and time again that Therrien gives way too much PP time to the three mousketeers of DD, Gio and Bouillon than other, much more deserving players. I'll criticize it when I damn well please - you should stop being a cheerleader for once.

I want Gionta to play better
. He was bad last season and I don't have faith in him this season.

Now stop badgering me.
14 goals in 48 games. On a 82 games season that's in the 25-30 goals range.

He might be overpaid but he's not bad by any mean. He's not spectacular but he's always around the net.

Hopefully his role will be reduced to the third line by next year but he's still useful. I remember how his former coachs/gm praised him when he signed here, saying how much of a real professionnal he was. It's a good veteran presence to have around, kids can look out to him to learn how to be a pro.

He's a better veteran presence than say Alex Kovalev.

Old
10-08-2013, 05:39 AM
No Team Needed

When Montreal rolls three lines and plays their best center on the line meant to shut down top lines, it's a bit silly to toss the top six term about.

Montreal plays a top nine strategy. Is Gionta a top nine player?

Old
10-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
When Montreal rolls three lines and plays their best center on the line meant to shut down top lines, it's a bit silly to toss the top six term about.

Montreal plays a top nine strategy. Is Gionta a top nine player?
Exactly.

And I believe he'd be playing on the top 6 of a lot of teams in the NHL too

Old
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
habtastic

I'll go ahead and say I'm on the "he's not a horrible top 6 player" side. Certainly things have dropped off since his 1st and 2nd seasons here, but you almost get the feeling people don't even think of him as the captain just because of his size (we all love Saku and it was not cuz he was huge).

He's had some setbacks, but when he's on, he is really on. I feel like since the DD-Cole-Patches line became a clear #1 2 years ago, he got put with Pleks and it became an inherently defensive mission oriented line. (And for awhile with Bourque). Prior to that, he was contributing quite heavily to our goal scoring. Now he's sort of known as just a hard fore- and back-checker, whereas he does still have the capacity to score. It would be worse if he had only ever taken the slappers to the chest. Thankfully, that's more of a relatively new thing. In front of the net, he's got good hands, as evidenced last game. I

Old
10-08-2013, 09:02 AM
RC51

Gionta is on his last year of his contract. The big question is can MB move him at or near the trade deadline because I don't think he will be offered a new Hab contract at any price. It's the same question I ask about Markov. Will MB move markov at the deadline? or even sooner when Emelin gets back. Between the two theirs over 10 million and Suban will get a lot of that. If MB can get a good asset back in a trade then I say DO IT ASAP. Get the MAX open 2 spots or wait till Emelin gets back and open one spot for a good bigger winger. The next thing is Galchenyuk, as he gets more and more games in, MT might on occasion put him at center and if as we all hope he thrives at center ( his natural position ) it's a matter of time to move Desharnais in a trade also.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Hope Gionta family are alright.

Gionta was brought to Mtl to score goals, and he has actually done a good job of that, he has scored 82 goals in 252 games as a hab, counting playoff games, that's prorated at 27 goals per 82 games. While he has slowed down, and I don't see him sticking with the Habs paste this year, he is still productive, and while small scores nothing but dirty goals.

I agree with many who don't want him re-signed, but I appreciate what he has done, early on in Mtl he was very underrated, heck in his first year he scored 28 goals in 61 games, and added 9 in 19 goals in the playoffs, that's 37 in 82 that year, followed it up with a 29 in 82 the following year. And that was playing with Gomez, and Darche/Moen/Pouilot
I just find it funny that the only thing Gio "haters" can say is that he's overpaid. What does it matter if he's overpaid if the habs wouldn't of done something better with the salary?

I can't think of one offseason while we had gio where his contract got in the way of signing a player. The habs signed their PF RWer in Cole while they had him under contract, they signed a much needed Prust for what people thought was an overpayment.

Him being overpaid is just an excuse people use against him because they want their team to be MOAR BIGGER... or they want the youngins to get more PP ice time. Both valid concerns, but this team without gio would be worse off no question about it.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
habtastic

Though I like Gionta (as I've laid out above), I'd mucccch rather see him go than Markov assuming both deals were good ones for us.

Gio is great, but I don't think he's irreplaceable, given we'd be getting something hypothetically worth it back. Markov is, despite what many people think, integral to the defence of this team and removing him will make us a lottery team immediately. If one is ok with that, then fine, but that's the situation. (And I'm still mad at him for that turnover in the opener.) It's going to be a long shot whether Beaulieu can become a good NHL PP QB, let alone the replacement for Markov. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin traded both by the end of the season.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Really? Pretty sure Gionta has outscored or at least outpaced Bourque in goals since he signed here. Unless this is the year age finally catches up with gionta and makes him a sub 20 goal scorer, the easy money is with Gionta. Not to mention that he's miles better defensively.

I concede that Bourque is moar bigger, though.
I mean i know i hate on gionta and everything, and do not want to resign him at years end

but i can never EVER argue that he's a pure goal scorer thats helped the team in that aspect, the guy just keeps scoring no matter what, you cant hold that against the guy,
in 2010 when we went to the 3rd round, gionta had a GREAT playoffs with like 8 goals which IS alot, but it was completely overshadowed by the cammy show

his first year here 28 goals in 61 games (broken foot) in 82 games he probably scores about 35
second year 29 goals in 82 games, ONLY scores 29 so i guess he isnt a "30 goal scorer" ?
3rd year disaster injury riddled year 8 goals in 31 games
and last year in 48 games (played them all) scores 14 goals which translates to about 25+ goals over 82

again, i dont want the guy on the team anymore purely because hes another 5"7 and 34 years old (simply because we have too many and hes the oldest , so by default, odd man out), but nobody can really argue he didnt SCORE GOALS in his time in montreal

the GOOD news , gallagher seems to be a virtual CLONE of the guy and is only 21 and scored 15 in 48 last year

gionta is simply replacable now and hopefully management sees it, love what he brought to our team and the leadership, but god help me if they resign him

Last edited by Redux91: 10-08-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Godzilla

Love this board.

OP: Gionta is not on trip, his son is ill

HF Boards: Yeah who cares. Gionta sucks.

brilliant.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:39 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Love this board.

brilliant.
TBF, since it's not in the injury report and has it's own thread, you just knew it was going to turn into that.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
TBF, since it's not in the injury report and has it's own thread, you just knew it was going to turn into that.
Yeah. I can imagine a DD tragedy.

Headline:

Desharnais loses leg in car crash.

HF Boards: Doesn't matter, he cant skate anyways. He was just taking ice time away from more deserving players.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Love this board.

brilliant.
One guy does not= entire board

Closed Thread