HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Critique (or just criticize) my dek hockey slapshot

Old
10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
alatos

vCash: 500
Critique (or just criticize) my dek hockey slapshot

This is my second year playing in a local dek hockey league. I'm completely self taught, mostly off of YouTube videos. After a lot of practice, this is what I've come up with. It's one of the faster shots in the league, but I want to get it up to the fastest, period. Can you guys give me tips or advice based off of the video as to what I can do better or change? I'd really appreciate it. The last few shots are closer to the camera. or here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LaY...ature=youtu.be

alatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hard to really see what's going on, and I'm not a great slapshot mind, but it looks good to me. You seem to have weight transfer, core rotation, and are contacting the floor before the ball but not overly so, and then good follow through. Looks good!

The only think I can think of is to try and get your shot off quicker. I've seen guys who can wind up and release the slapper on the rush, and that's something I can't do, but would be a real accomplishment. Takes a lot of timing and practice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Your top hand is pretty close in to your body. Bring it out/up a little bit, and I've found that it helped me immensely.

Check out this video about Ovy's slapper and you can see just how far out he typically has his hands from his body when shooting: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...t-graphic.html

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a great link. Look how tight he keeps the stick to his body on the slapper. He's not pulling it back so much as pointing it up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
alatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Your top hand is pretty close in to your body. Bring it out/up a little bit, and I've found that it helped me immensely.

Check out this video about Ovy's slapper and you can see just how far out he typically has his hands from his body when shooting: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...t-graphic.html
Thank you so much man! That is perfect!

alatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post

I don't shoot many slapshots because I suck ass at it, but when I shoot snap shots I do bring my top hand out like Ovy does in that photo.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:28 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I don't shoot many slapshots because I suck ass at it, but when I shoot snap shots I do bring my top hand out like Ovy does in that photo.
Yeah bringing the top hand out on snap-shots is really important for generating power.. especially when shooting in stride.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote